• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is You Gaming Audio Setup? And How Much Did It Cost You?

lukilladog

I used to test home sound sytems and dedicated amplifiers from several brands, I kept only my 90's Aiwa home system, Yamaha shelf monitors and some Senn HD head phones. I dont even use a soundcard anymore, the onboard on my Asus alder Lake motherboard is that good.

TLZ

Banned
Home Theater/Game Room
Anthem AVM90 Receiver
Martin Logan Speakers Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 (2-60XTI, 50 XTI, 2-FX2, 6-15XT)
2 PSA TV3612 Subwoofers
Monolith 11 Channel Amp
AKG 712 Pro Headphones

Roughly $25K
TV Stereo.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Years ago I had a Onkyo TX-NR906 powering Bowers and Wilkins speakers and a BK FF Monolith Plus. It was amazing at the time but ultimately over kill for my needs.

e7S0rDh.png

Pedro Motta

I'm using the Samsung Q950A for 2 years now, one of the best aquisitions I have made, cost me about 1000$.

2 Years later I'm still surprised how good films and games sound on it. Recommended.

EDIT: As for headphones I use the Arctis 9X, they work with everything, Xbox, PS5, PC that's why I went with them, quite happy.

Also I own a pair of Hifiman Sundaras, sometimes I use them when I'm playing alone, sound quality is out of this world.

Last edited:

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
Got the Sony HT-A9 and it’s wonderful considering you’re getting 80-90% of a full HT setup without speaker wires everywhere. Only downside is lack of fine tuning, but the calibration does a fantastic job of accounting for my listening space.

Was not cheap but I could not stand most of the soundbars I tried after moving on from my ~2010 7.1 setup.

I tried:

Vizio 5.1.2: bad center performance. Inaudible dialogue
Vizio 5.1.4 M series: bad center performance. Inaudible dialogue
Sony ht-7000+ rear + sub: strange eq curve that could not be calibrated out. Very directional w/ a small sweet spot
Samsung 950a: great sound but kind of bulky and expensive. Weird CEC issues but would’ve stuck with it had the Ht-a9 not been so good.

My latest and most expensive upgrade ever.
Denon X1700H Receiver $700
Polk T15 Bookshelf speakers X4 $300
Polk T30 Center Speaker $150
Polk RC6 Ceiling Speakers x2 $200
Polk PSW108 Subwoofer $150
Amazon Banana plugs, 250 feet 16awg speaker wire, cable fishing sticks $50

7.1 Atmos home theater with HDMI 2.1, connections for up to 6 devices, currently PS5, Series X, HTPC, Nintendo Switch, Apple TV, Steamdeck Dock.
Wife insisted no visible wires, I'm proud of myself for doing the work to make that happen.
I've had surround systems for many years now and I can't live without that Home Theater experience.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Headphones or the Bravia TV speakers. The TV speakers honestly sound amazing for being TV speakers.

I have a 5.1 but I just hate dealing with it and all the space it occupies.

Last edited:

Fredrik

7.1 Atmos home theater with HDMI 2.1, connections for up to 6 devices, currently PS5, Series X, HTPC, Nintendo Switch, Apple TV, Steamdeck Dock.
Wife insisted no visible wires, I'm proud of myself for doing the work to make that happen.
I've had surround systems for many years now and I can't live without that Home Theater experience.
Yeah I did the TV speaker to home theater swap many years ago and I can’t be without it.
Only issue for me:
1. I can’t afford a second one for the PC room so that’s only stereo.
2. Once I’ll upgrade the TV in the living room to VRR I suddenly need an AVR with VRR too since I do all the HDMI switching there. Makes every tech jump extremely expensive.

mxbison

Not sure if you listen to music on the bar through TV apps (like YouTube) but with Q Symphony does it play stereo music through the TV speakers as well as the bar or is that just used for centre channel stuff like dialogue in movies?

Not sure exactly what it does but it definitely works with stereo as well.

I have the TV wall mounted and the soundbar like 60cm below. With Q Symphony on it definitely fills the room better than just the soundbar alone.

Probably not such a game changer that I'd recommend someone to go specifically for that combo, but if you already have a Samsung TV I think it makes sense since they also have good soundbars.

TrebleShot

Sonos Arc
SL Surrounds
Sub

Incredible for movies tv shows and the more story based games.

Headphones I have so many.

Pulse 3D
Audeze Penrose
Arctis Nova Pros
Audeze Maxwell (on order)

PC
BayerDynamic 770 Pro
Hifi man Sundara open back with IFI amp
Sennhieser 560s

I’m addicted to trying new audio.

Anyone interested the best headphones are the Audeze Penrose and the best experience is the surround set up but I do often play with headphones as I find it more immersive.

Lusal

Neo Member

Nice!

I've got a Denon X1700H with:

Monitor Audio Silver 100 6G (L/R)
Monitor Audio Silver C350 6G (center)
Micca MB42 (surrounds)
SVS PB1000 (subwoofer)

Makes a huge difference with games and movies. Its got HDMI 2.1 with VRR and ALLM capability. Powered by an HTPC with a 3060ti and output to a LG OLED 77C1PUB.

Kuranghi

Just a Sony ZF9 soundbar + SA-Z9R rears, £750 all in, sounds great for what it is. I'd love an amp and speakers but my room doesn't allow for having large speakers in the corners and if I put them on my wide unit the TV would block the right channel due to my seating position.

AV​
XCVf9Fp.jpg

Centre Speaker
Q Acoustics 3090ci​
cAuAjjO.jpg

L/R
Q Acoustics 3020i​
78En9nZ.jpg

L/R Surrounds
Q Acoustics 3010i
0OalYEf.jpg

Subwoofer
Q Acoustics QB12
SWfkyI2.jpg

£1255+£399 in total
I need to get some Ceiling Speakers for Atmos
and I'm undecided whether to get another QB12 for Dual Subs 💪

Oh and I got a pair of those
2OS1GIu.jpg

But rarely use them other then if it's really late
YouTube's new intro on their TV app
This one if you haven't heard it

is not what my neighbours wanna hear at night 😅
It just a baseline drop​

Nice, sounds ace, I recently got a set of Q Accoustics M20 to go with my vinyl player because I don't have room for an amp in my current setup. I really like the sound from them, was sure I'd miss the bass from my main system but it's totally fine just with them on their own.

Reactions: TGO

FateTrap

Neo Member
Hardware: Infinity Alpha5 HCS II & Sony STR-DB790
Software: FreeBSD in bitperfect mode with real-time sound

Sound demo of my audio setup: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KLsipusqUqdvRao6HMmUOQlVt4SZNxLO/view

I mainly play open source games on this system, such as OpenArena, 0 A.D. , Sauerbraten, FlightGear, Endless Sky and Alien Arena.
Sometimes I also play CS:GO and Dota 2 on this FreeBSD desktop.
And I also have a large number of (older) console games that I run with console emulators.

Sonos gang! Arc, sub, and ones for surround. It was expensive but worth it, and I intend to keep the equipment a long time. Any cinematic games are awesome, the demo parts of FFXVI were incredible as was the entirety of Elden Ring. It’s kind of sacrilege but I also play music and its miles ahead of my old PC speakers.

I have a couple pairs of headphones too, Sennheiser HD 598 and HyperX Cloud for PC gaming and plugging into the controller audio jack for late at night sessions.

Denon x3800
Yamaha AS501 running as power amp for front L&R speakers
Kef R3 for L&R
Kef R2C for centre
Dali fazons for rears
Bk xxls 400 sub
But primarily play on my day 1 ps gold headset plugged into my controller, and sometimes mix it up and use my music headphones.

Solidus_T

Most of my gaming is done with a headset, specifically a set of Razor Blackshark V2's that are pretty old now. Aside from that, there's a set of Bose Companion speakers next to my screen.
Edit: I also have a set of SteelSeries Arctis 5 headphones, but those are even older than my Razor headset, albeit a little nicer. They're just kind of beat up now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom