• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your DREAM console?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Scratch everything right now that's currently on the market. Get rid of all logic and reason. What console would you like that tickles your fancy specifically. One that would really make you wanna buy it. It can be anything! Controllers, games, aesthetic, marketing. What type of console would you immediately get even if it didn't make any sense to literally everybody else on earth?
I'll start.

I'd want a Console with an aesthetic HEAVILY reminiscent of late 90s sega, a UI similar to the dreamcast with more online functionality and the absolute customization freedom of the PS3, where you can install custom console firmwares, themes, being able to back up your saves to USB, all that crazy shit!!! A game library full of indie games with AAA budgets, graphics and production values. The "first party studios" are literally all big indie developers/publishers like devolver digital and annapurna being given a massive budget with the company basically telling them to go fucking wild as long as it comes out on time.
A controller that REMOVES the right analog stick in favor of a touchpad, has back paddles, and has similar ergonomics to an Xbox Controller. It has 6 buttons similar to the Sega Genesis/Saturn pads, and you can SWAP THE POSITION of the DPAD and left analog stick (as well as face buttons and right touchpad) so you can customize the controller to your fullest extent for each game that you'd want to play. Also gyro and haptic feedback because of course not.
Also, it has a social space similar to playstation home where you can hang out and talk to other gamers, play games inside that social space, (like say, tennis or arcade games) have Voice chat which enables you to talk, and avatars similar to VRchat where everyone can just go on and put on ANY avatar and model for the sake of it. Oh, and a specialized full dive VR headset that's capable of uploading your consciousness into the game just for the sake of being able to fucking GO WILD. Yeah, you can do that for the social space as well. (for anyone worried about sexual harassment, you can just have a "block" feature that makes the person harassing your disappear from your client until specified otherwise)
The console also has hardware expansions similar to a PC, which you can buy in stores ranging from 100 to 450 dollars. They're super simple and easy to put in, and they give your console a huge boost while enabling extra options in games. This removes the need for a "pro" version of the console as you only need extra hardware to power up the system.
Games are distributed physically on big fat chunky cartridges (think N64, genesis, SNES carts) with SSDs inside them that enable loading times faster than even the PS5 and PC ssds on the market right now, like N64 and Genesis tier loading times. They have the most satisfying "click" when you put them in the console, and they can hold as much as 3 blu rays!!
Also, the storefront has an official workshop similar to that of steam, where people can submit their own creations and mods from PC, and people can play them ON PC AND Console, just for the fun of it. NSFW mods are in a seperate category that you need to be 18+ to access, so there's no need for moderation unless the mod has a virus that can fuck up people's computers/consoles.
I think that's it, lol

Dreamcast 2.

Let me elaborate:

• Draconian quality control by the platform holder, no game releases in an unfinished/broken state or without conforming to certain min fps standards
  • Very limited online capabilities, certaintly NOT used to "patch" games after release
  • Cartridges or discs, games are read entirely from the physical media - no installations
  • SEGA style hardware design
  • Highly marketable price point, power is not that important (1080/60 is enough)
  • Lots of unique, exclusive software titles only playable on the device
  • MTX doesn't exist on this platform, no gambling or anything remotely similar (addons and dlc are OK)
  • Solution for light gun games on modern TV sets

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Carts, no patches for single player. Maybe a tiny tiny patch per game to fix small bugs. Like 360's 3mb limit.

Wii mote and nunchuck evolved, with IR pointing and optional pro controllers.
not bad but i think you can do better than just "carts and no patches"
Like i said, go genuinely fucking wild lol

Banned
This controller:
8MHIrOv.png

Mainly I searched concepts that bring back the Black and White buttons on Xbox controllers... because modern games use more and more buttons, often having multiple buttons bound to multiple functions... that is not ideal.
also a touchscreen could help with that too...
it also should have motion controls!

-Game Patches would be size limited to 10% of the final size of the game. so if a game is 1GB in size your patches can only be 100MB or less etc.
this rule would hopefully mitigate the trend of releasing unfinished code on not only discs but also on day 1 download versions.

-Digital games can be sold on a digital market directly on the console, with 20% of the money going to the developers
you can only sell 1 game a month tho, this is to not inflate the market with "used" games
I think this would be a positive in the long run as more people might try a game, the devs still getting a bit of money from the sales and people selling a game potentially using the money to buy more games

-an Xbox Live Arcade like section in the store for games that are small in size and all have a trial version. I'm thinking 2GB size limit and 15€ Price limit.
developers might chose to release their games in this category to distance themselves from being compared to AAA releases each week and to cater to a different type of player as well as offering an easy way to find easy to pick up and play titles.

-FREE ONLINE PLAY AND CLOUD SAVES!

-a way more open app store... the Xbox One/Series X|S is not bad in this regard, but still too limited. a fully functional Discord app would be nice for example. also just normal and easy to get releases of emulators plz!?!?!? that cat and mouse game people currently have to play with Microsoft is just a joke and only even is a thing because Microsoft are pussies and are scared that their relationship with Nintendo would suffer from it

edit:
-60fps is a must. anything that comes out will be tested and if the game has an average framerate of less than 58fps during a normal playtrhough it can not release

quite honestly... all i want is an Xbox 360 with a more modern and more functional controller and added modern sensibilities.. the Xbox 360 was such an amazing system in concept it's kinda ridiculous that Microsoft threw almost ALL of it's features out the window

Last edited:

kikkis

-no online fees
-better than windows 11 os for doing stuff other than gaming
-finger print scanner on controller for authentication.

Nintendo 3DS^3

It's a 3DS but with 3 screens instead of 2 and also all the screens are 3D touch screens that still don't really work with a finger you need a stylus.

A hybrid like Switch where it can do 1080p to 4k 60 FPS for every game

100 TF
128 GB DDR6 Ram
100 TB Harddrive
Uses Game Cartridges which can hold about 300 GB to 20 TB. These game Cartridges are cheaper to produce than Blurays
50 Hours Battery Life
When in Portable mode it has a OLED screen
Has backwards compatibility with all systems, Playstation, Nintendo, Xbox, Sega, etc

With the backwards compatibility, every game runs at 4k 60 FPS and Ray tracing

Game libery would be like PS2, where every Japanese, and western game would be released on the system.

Controller would be like a Xbox One controller. And it would have upgraded Joycons.

Free online

Online store like Steam

Able to play DVD, Bluray, and 4k

Screen is 4k OLED 60 HZ 8 inch display

All running at 5 watts

Last edited:

Crayon

A hybrid like Switch where it can do 1080p to 4k 60 FPS for every game

100 TF
128 GB DDR6 Ram
100 TB Harddrive
Uses Game Cartridges which can hold about 300 GB to 20 TB. These game Cartridges are cheaper to produce than Blurays
50 Hours Battery Life
When in Portable mode it has a OLED screen
Has backwards compatibility with all systems, Playstation, Nintendo, Xbox, Sega, etc

With the backwards compatibility, every game runs at 4k 60 FPS and Ray tracing

Game libery would be like PS2, where every Japanese, and western game would be released on the system.

Controller would be like a Xbox One controller. And it would have upgraded Joycons.

Free online

Online store like Steam

Able to play DVD, Bluray, and 4k

Screen is 4k OLED 60 HZ 8 inch display

All running at 5 watts

You forgot to mention the price. I have a feeling it's more than reasonable.

Akt

Banned
The one where 60fps is must have, and after that attention can be given to graphics, and details.

If graphics don't look as great as developers would want, well, that just means those are its limits, so...

Be happy with what you have at the moment, and/or wait for its successor.

BUT DON'T FUCKING GO BELOW 60FPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banjo64

cumsessed
Right now?

It’d pretty much be the Switch OLED with PSN/Xbox Live online infrastructure (handles, Trophies, messaging, voice chat), an SSD solution, analogue sticks that don’t drift and the equivalent power of a PS4 Pro/Series X.

Jennings

Compatible with Nintendo, Playstation, Xbox games.
Xbox Controller
Incompatible with microtransactions and free-to-play games.
Incompatible with crossplay.
Mandates minimum 60fps for all games.

• Multiple screens output wirelessly with zero latency, big screens/phones/tablets etc
  • Quantum Internet, gives portable device gaming, processing anywhere, instant networking
  • AI auto editing and cataloging for intelligent highlights/VOD/streaming/commentating
  • Portable device with hotswap battery, no need to turn off to switch out, ability to power a small screen device from said battery
  • Processing power to spare enables VR at home or on the go without reduction of quality
  • AI assisted content editing e.g. Halo forge but upscale to developer standards of graphics, finger paint turned into a masterpiece sort of thing, gamers build the basics and AI refines the map/geometry/coding, think nVidia Canvas
  • Wireless charging with a designed-in dock for two controllers sitting on the console to charge
  • Gamertag/family locked to your console hardware. Severe anti cheat and bad attitudes hit hard, fuck cheaters, they don't exist in this platform
  • All the same hardware/inputs across all players for fair play. No XIM, no crossplay etc.
  • Code once and run anywhere with quality optimisation e.g. browser, console, phone, pc
  • Full open source code for platform, APIs, cloud, and all games 12 months post release
  • Controllers/peripherals that are modular replacement parts for wear and tear
  • Some sort of advanced mash up of Kinect, motion capture, 3D scanning (Inc photogrammetry) to enable gamers to create and interact in real time

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I want a console in the spirit of CPS1, CPS2, NEO GEO, Taito FX, PGM + SNES, Genesis and GBA advance - 2D systems on cartridge with no patches. Full of 2D sprite experiences with some nice manuals and boxes, I'll take fighters, shooters, platformers, 1 screen platformers, beat em ups, rpgs. puzzlers, bullet hell, treasure and cave style games, nba jam, 2d mk, soccer, WWF arcade - all of it. Bring it all back. Konami get on board with true Castlevania etc. I'll even take cute mini cd's with fast loading into memory with plenty of ram to hold the cd. Sequels for everything..

Lets add light gun games and a CRT screen that turns like the Tiato Egret with a whole wack of roller balls, snk controller, capcom controller, midway controller - you get the picture.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Absolute dream console with not having to make any concessions to logic would be a nintendo switch that is as powerful as the latest and best pc hardware that uses cartridge or digital with super fast nvme type cartridges and internal storage that you can take on the go with all nintendo classic games plus all the big budget Sony/MS and everyone elses stuff.

You can just Dock it and it becomes an uber console/pc running all the g sync/vrr goodness at full power at home. Keyboard and mouse or controller or whatever.

That would be bad boy!

Last edited:

Roberts

I'm a simple man with simple needs. XsX is just about my dream console and it would be 100% one if they figured out a way to have a full BC and expand their Fps and res boost catalogue. And then next gen will arrive and it will probably be my next dream console.

Rudius

A hybrid of PS1 and PS2 in terms of the type of games made (creativity, lots of platformers, arcade racers, RPGs, no political correctness), with the power of current gen hardware and all games playable in VR, even third person ones.

Alan Wake

Dreamcast 2.

Let me elaborate:

• Draconian quality control by the platform holder, no game releases in an unfinished/broken state or without conforming to certain min fps standards
  • Very limited online capabilities, certaintly NOT used to "patch" games after release
  • Cartridges or discs, games are read entirely from the physical media - no installations
  • SEGA style hardware design
  • Highly marketable price point, power is not that important (1080/60 is enough)
  • Lots of unique, exclusive software titles only playable on the device
  • MTX doesn't exist on this platform, no gambling or anything remotely similar (addons and dlc are OK)
  • Solution for light gun games on modern TV sets
This. Thanks, you saved me some time.

Boss Mog

Capable of top of the line graphics in native 4K/60fps with fully raytraced reflections, lighting and shadows. 4K/120fps support with FSR/DLSS. DualSense like controller with removable/interchangeable analog sticks and rear L4/R4 paddles. Physical drive and media of course. VR support.

Three

A modern PS3 Phat with an SSD

Bluetooth headphone and keyboard support
Free online play
8 player support
Can play literally any Playstation game

Everything the PS3 had + No loading times

GymWolf

Something that can really endure 7-8 years of lifespan without hearing all the people who cry because it cost more than 500 dollars.

And no gimmicks like nintendo stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom