• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your DREAM console?

SpiceRacz

Carts, no patches for single player. Maybe a tiny tiny patch per game to fix small bugs. Like 360's 3mb limit.

Screen_Shot_2016-03-08_at_2.16.08_PM.0.0.png

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Basically a Switch that's the power of a Series S. Or you can stick it in a plastic attachment with lenses and make it a VR headset. $300.

Even Samus show the true power!! 😂
There were a few moments where I confidently felt that the Gamecube was the strongest console out of all 3 during it's generation and Metroid Prime was one of those moments. It was one of the last times Nintendo has ever wowed me with graphics, because I fully know that their internal teams are capable of insanely good things if they were given more power to utilize.

cireza

Banned
CPU
16-bit 68000 chip running at 12 MHz with a 4 MHz Z80 chip helping out. It can handle 4,096 colors on screen at once with three simultaneous playfields.

Sound
13-channel Yamaha sound chip in stereo

Memory
7 Mb DRAM
512K of VRAM
64K of SRAM

Resolution
320 x 224

Color Palette

Max colors on screen

Max sprites on screen

Internal RAM
56 Mbits

CD
Single-speed drive with the ability to play audio CD’s
That's the Neo Geo CD, if I am correct. Awesome console.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hand held
Big nice looking screen (min led or oled)
Plays destiny 2 at 120fps
Gets most games eventually (pc)

Stream deck almost there but no port of Destiny and little under powered. Got a asus rog flow z13 right now that’s like a Microsoft Surface but with a rtx 3050ti in it. It’s a bit big but can easily swap to a much more powerful machine with its external gpu dock.

So far it’s the closet to my dream.

Romulus

A VR based 'console' that has built in support for most 3rd party games. You're given a selection of the top vr mods for games that aren't supported that just work. Built in emulator that allows for a "home" type PlayStation experience. For example you can customize your startup area to be your childhood room that can walk around in the 90s. There's 90s flair everywhere and a usable crt with an array of consoles that you can play. This is literally already possible and I've used it but a home screen would be incredible.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Does a PC that plays PlayStation and Nintendo games day 1 count? If not then a generally open box that plays everything and can use any controller.

not bad but i think you can do better than just "carts and no patches"
Like i said, go genuinely fucking wild lol
That is pretty crazy in today's market lol.

Music playback like Xbox 360 which kept in game sounds but automatically replaced the soundtrack with your tunes. That would be nice. Usb input for adding tunes.

Make it as powerful as can be with it still being passively cooled. Doesn't need to be as small as switch but having it passively cooled would make it last a long time without hardware failure.

nkarafo

I used to think that way but then consoles started to receive firmware updates almost every month like a PC, games requiring Day 1 patches like a PC, used PC parts to increase storage like a PC, having mid-life cycle like a PC, variation model like a PC, I start to wonder what exactly is a console nowadays.
A console is a closed system/OS PC.

sachos

Realisticly i would love for Nintendo to release a home console only version of their next console with at least PS4 Pro level hardware, their games would be still made with the portable version in mind but at least you would get a modern experience on your modern display.
Crazy talking i would love for a game console that had games come in mini SSD like carts, can hold 150gb at at least 3gb/s reads. These carts could be rewriteable so you can download patches into them so you always get a preserved up to date copy of your game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i don't think enough people give enough credit to giant, fat fucking carts like the ones on Genesis and N64. You gotta admit it was satisfying to click one of those in as opposed to just slipping in a disc.

BlackTron

i don't think enough people give enough credit to giant, fat fucking carts like the ones on Genesis and N64. You gotta admit it was satisfying to click one of those in as opposed to just slipping in a disc.

Agree. Even though I hardly ever use them, I can't see myself ever getting rid of all my old carts. I have the most on N64, which happens to be the cart-based system most cumbersome to play its games another way, so it has special status. For other systems I keep them around with notable carts just because...like I'm not getting rid of Mario 3 or Sonic 2 just because I can play it on something newer now lol. To me that stuff is pure Gold.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Games….just games, as long as it has the games I want then I don’t care about any other detail.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Proton console. Steam Deck UI on a SFF box similar in size or design to Dreamcast or Alienware SM. Deck is already a console replacement. It's use as a PC is limited.

Steam Deck features and layout on narrower controllers for it.

LAN sessions. Run multiple games on different VMs that output to multiple streaming Steam Links or paired wireless TV dongles in a house. Have a tier list for games that support or run well with the resources limited when running 2 or more games.

brian0057

Banned
The one that has all the games I want play.
I don't follow hardware, I follow software.
And putting plastic bricks on a pedestal is smooth brain behaviour.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The one that has all the games I want play.
I don't follow hardware, I follow software.
And putting plastic bricks on a pedestal is smooth brain behaviour.

More like "DREAM GAME", consoles do nothing without games.
Every console (from all gens) we already have can make a dream game.

Give me the food, not the plate.

It can be anything! Controllers, games, aesthetic, marketing.
Maybe instead of trying to come off as some enlightened smartass individual, you just talk about the dream console and the dream games that you'd want. :messenger_unamused:

EruditeHobo

Dream console would be a playstation console, fully backwards compatible with discs & digital download options for games dating back to PSX... and honestly, I never thought I would say this, but if there was a docked state and un-docked handheld state a la the switch which could play anything from that same library including PSP & VITA games on a nice high-rez screen... that would be pretty close to the dream.

I never thought I would enjoy handheld as much as I do with switch, probably less so for Nintendo 1st party (although I loooove Metroid Dread) and moreso to pick up available 3rd party metroidvania/adventure/arcade style games. With the likes of Hollow Knight, blasphemous, Mummy, now TMNT, that's where I've gotten the most use out of it.

If Sony did the same thing, I'd never even consider a Switch 2. Of course that doesn't seem to be Sony's path... but I would really be into that.

And there's nothing crazy about this, it be more expensive than PS5 but I'd rather pay for that functionality. Think that makes it unique from the impossible asks in here, like "play everything at 4k / 60 & have it cost 159.99! Also no DLC/MTX is allowed!!!"

EruditeHobo

People who want Wiimotes back honestly live in a completely different gaming world than I do... I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering how that piece of shit sold, but yeah. Boggles my mind.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also, i find it surprising so many people want a Sega console return. You'd think gaf wouldn't care so much about SEGA since they've left the console market for 20 years now but this thread proves otherwise, apparently
video games sega GIF

EruditeHobo

are likely the types of people who own a switch since the joycons are basically just wiimotes.... But worse. in like every concieveable way except maybe movement

I guess, sure... joycons on their own are crap. But attach joycons to the screen, and you have yourself a very good-feeling handheld; definitely the best and most comfortable I've ever held, personally.

There's no such remedy for the wiimote. And of course this doesn't even get into the fact wiimotes were built to be waved around as if you were a mental patient in an insane asylum, distracting yourself just long enough for the sedatives to kick in.

But yeah. Some people love it, for reasons that completely elude me.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

A SNES 2 (no 3d capabilites), just two SNES duct-taped together.
And a PS1.5

features of both systems:
- online play
- lan capabilites
- easy plug and play, no loading times.

The beauty of these fictional systems lies in their limitations. The benefits would be: they'd challenge the crative juices of developers, because they couldn't get away with relying on graphics only; development cost, development team size and especially -time would drastically be reduced, meaning a higher output of games over a much shorter period of time.

These systems would be cheap to make, absolutely everyone could afford them. They could also be marketed to the retro enthusiast market (which I think is relatively big these days). These systems could also function as a platform for the best of the best indie games (and only for them through a "seal of quality" monitoring program).

And here is the kicker: All these systems would come bundled with their own, native 4:3, 21 inch, low resolution OLED displays. Price point: 199,- for each. The "Pro" versions with additional analog outputs (component, RGB, S-video, VGA) would be 249,-

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And here is the kicker: All these systems would come bundled with their own, native 4:3, 21 inch, low resolution CRT displays. Price point: 199,- for each. The "Pro" versions with additional analog outputs (component, RGB, S-video, VGA) would be 249,-
FIFY

Last edited:
I still want this insane case, you'd need 3 friends and a shopping trolley to move it about plus it would scratch and scuff on day one but fuck it's sexy and it remains a dream.

xboxprototype.jpg

KiteGr

A console is only as good as it's games.

Most issues I have with the current consoles could be solved if the game devs "Didn't fucking do that". An "that" mostly revolves around microtansactions, pricing and bad (or no) physical editions.

The few things the console it self could do better for me are:
  • Have a multi disk reader, so I can have many disks at the console at the same time.
  • No region coding.
  • Allow you to pre-choose what offends you, so it gets filtered out by the game and leave the rest of us alone.
  • Good backwards compatibility.
  • Disks (or other mediums) that can save the new patches inside them.
  • No online subscription.
  • Good specs I guess...
If I'm focusing to much on the physical aspects of the games, that's because that's what currently consoles are mostly good for, and they aren't even very good at it apparently.
If I'm going to buy my games digitally, I might as well hook a PC on my TV with a nice front end, play everything from Steam that is cheaper, modable, less censored and more likely to still be around in 20 years, and emulate the rest.

MacReady13

All I have EVER wanted is a powerful Nintendo console. A Nintendo console released today with as much power, if not MORE power than a PS5 would be amazing! 1st party Nintendo games mixed with the best of the 3rd party offerings means I would ONLY own a Nintendo console and nothing else.

And then may as well make a Sega console the same- full of power and with all of Sega's 1st party games means I'd then own 2 consoles! Much like the days of the Mega Drive and SNES- the BEST days of gaming bar none.

- 4k@ LOCKED120fps with full ray tracing and everything at ultra.

- Has Sony and Nintendo IPS

- Has a secondary tablet to be used like the switch

- Games have to be fully tested to not have a day 1 patch for single player games

- Free online

- Fully backward compatibility Nintendo and Sony

If that ever gets released. i won't mind paying a pretty penny for it.

We currently live in a fucking golden age of gaming compared to 25 years ago, so I'm happy with the state of things.

In 1996 Super Mario RPG was $70, $130 in today's money. A year of GPU is $180.

Top Bottom