• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite game genre and why ?

What is your favorite game genre and why ?

• RPG

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • Action

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Adventure ( point and click /puzzle )

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Platformers

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • First person shooter

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Stealth

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Strategy

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Horror

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Sports

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Racing

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Immersive sim

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • fighting

• Shmups

• Visual novels

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wildebeest

Strategy because without strategy you are just a puppet on a string blowing around like a ship without a rudder.

MagnesD3

3d Platformers, one of the most core things to fun In video games comes from good movement and manipulation and that's literally what's at the core of a 3d Platformer.

Last edited:
Visual novels, and Shmups have a slot, but Third-person shooters, and puzzle games don't.

Also if Horror is a genre Sci-Fi may as well be as well.

Mozzarella

Poll needs rework, most of these genres overlap with each other, and RPG is a very broad term, i would at least divide it to 3 subgenres just to make the poll more clear. ARPG/CRPG/JRPG for starters.
Then you have Action and FPS, they overlap, but games like Half Life dont belong in Action imo, so its kinda a mess.

Personally i dont have a genre i place above others, im open to all kinds of good games, BUT i have few like very few genres im not really into, for example simulators and buildings, things like Stardew Valley are not my type, or something like Euro Truck Simulator or something, also not a big fan of Sports games, used to play Fifa but not anymore, Racing games as well, used to play them a lot, but not anymore. Maybe they have gone down the shitter, maybe i just outgrew them, idk.

I will take a look at the games i rated 4/5 and 5/5 and tell you how many from each genre.

Action/Adventure: 15 Games (No FPS was counted here)
Metroidvania: 7 Games
Platformer: 7 Games
Action RPG: 8 Games
RPG: 12 Games
JRPG: 7 Games
FPS (All type, immersive sim + action + action/adventure): 15 Games
Horror: 11 Games
Puzzle/Mystery: 4 Games
Strategy: 8 Games
Fighting: 3 Games
Stealth: 6 Games

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'm surprised so many people voted RPG. I did, too. I am getting tired of them, though. Mostly because of open-world fatigue.

RPGs are the back bone of video games and historically most games we love are built in the back of table top rpgs. When an rpg does it’s job well it does what nothing no other medium can do. Immerse you in a world where you are the character. I wish we got more large rpgs but sadly the medium caters to an audience who are enthusiast and it’s easier to make money on games that cater to everyone. So we’ll get light rpg elements in most games instead of truly immersive games.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I guess that every platformer is an action game, but not every action game is a platformer

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
RPG.

A good RPG is incredible. Feels like cracking open an old book and reading one of your favorite stories, even if some of them are sillier than you remember them. The feeling of starting off insignificant, both in gameplay and most usually storyline and consequences for the setting, but ending so much more powerful, wise and weather worn for the journey in between. I love Horror, Stealth, Action/Adventure, and character action games, but not one of the above captures that FEELING of really having gone somewhere from the title screen to the credits. Health ups, new attacks, sure, but it just feels more Iron hewn when it's tracked meticulously digit by digit.

Also, it's just cozy. I've spent plenty of 3 AM nights just smoking, chilling out, and wandering around a city or something doing inconsequential shit or side quests because it's a genre that allows that room to breathe and just kind of "hang out," There are legitimate nights when I don't do Main quests or whatever because fucking hiking up a mountain or fishing sounds more relaxing than fighting dragons or whatever, and the cool thing is that I can do either, and still invest in the world/game of my choosing. RPGs are fucking chill as ice.

Fredrik

RPG
…since I can’t vote Metroidvania.

Elden Ring is one of my absolute favorite games right now, the open map combined with all the hidden loot and multiple paths and tight action and character build variations makes it close to perfection for me. There are some frustrating difficulty spikes that gets me to push it down my all time top list but as soon as I go past those spots it’s all love again.

My unrivalled #1 is Super Metroid.

april6e

Roguelites because the potential is endless. As technology improves in the future, we can create games that generate their own content and thus can be played for hundreds if not thousands of hours without it getting repetitive.

My dream is a modern version of a game like Daggerfall.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
3rd person action/adventure/rpg/platformer type games (all or one of those is good). The reason being I enjoy them the most! I also like the same in fps, but both need to be sci-fi or fantasy for me to be remotely interested.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
3d Platformers, one of the most core things to fun In video games comes from good movement and manipulation and that's literally what's at the core of a 3d Platformer.
If you haven't already, play Tinykin, it's an awesome platformer.

GymWolf

When i was little beat em up, platforms, japanese jrpg and pure action games like NG were my shit.

Today i like more (not in order of preference)

Action rpg
Open world
Fps/tps
Immersive sims
Isometric dungeon crawler
Roguelite with strong progression between runs

Xeaker

JRPGs.
I like to level up, get stronger, meet party members. Experience a good interesting story, worldbuilding, music, I like turn based combat.
Sadly JRPGs have gotten average at best in the last 10+ years. I keep replaying old JRPGs over and over again....

Alpha Male

For multiplayer it's definitely FPS - Battlefield and Halo (with a little Modern Warfare 2 Ground War/Warzone)

For single player I chose RPG because I sorta lump everything together into the "Action RPG" catagory which includes FPS/TPS, RPG, Third Person Cinematic...games like Red Dead, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, Horizon, Far Cry, Cyberpunk, Fallout, Elden Ring, Dying Light, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Borderlands, Zelda, Mass Effect, etc....

Last edited:
Immersive sim for me.

Stuff like Deus Ex, most of Arkane games etc.

Mostly it comes down to quality of these games. They are impeccably made, from music to little bits of story, to various different systems in game that I can use to achieve my goals.

The Stig

I cant choose. I'll play almost anything.

For me, the question is "what genres DON'T I like?"

I usually avoid horror, not interested. I used to play FIFA but MTX bs makes me sick. So I dont play any sports games. And I dont remember being interested in any visual novels.

So I love all genres except:

Horror, sports and visual novels.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Can't think of a specific genre, but I love games with exploration and sense of wonder, discovery and adventure. Games like Dragon's Dogma, Elder Scrolls (specially III), most Zelda games... Doesn't have to be open world, other games like Baldur's Gate 2 or Dark Souls also fit the bill quite well.

I think those feels are complicated to achieve when developing a game. You need good level design with almost perfect pacing, just so the player keeps wondering what he will find next but without making it so the player is always finding new shit, which could make it boring/samey. And ofc you also need good visual design to make it interesting.

Aenima

RPGs. All kinds, western, japanese, stratagy, etc. I love long games with good stories, exploring fantasy worlds that take me on crazy adventures, and RPGs usually deliver on the stuff i most like on videogames.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
its funny because not a couple months ago i would have said platformer or FPS... but these days it's easily RPG, its the most broad genre out of all of them, but it's also just my favorite, Final fantasy 7, OMORI, and Paper Mario TTYD are all games ive beaten or made significant progress in these past months and i love all of them

Spectacle Fighter/Character Action like DMC, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising and Ninja Gaiden.

My second would be 2D fighting games(especially arc sys games), third is Arcade first person shooters like modern DOOM games. Then JRPGs and then everything else after that.

Top Bottom