• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite game that "subverts your expectation"?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Inscryption. Can't sing its praises enough, I loved it, best game last year that wasn't Metroid. Ostensibly just a card battler with a horror theme but there's a lot more going on, and even the core card game itself can be subversive in the way that it takes mechanics and turns them on their head at times.

200.gif

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Brutal Legend

Still can't get over the hoodwink.

Fuck.

Jeff Gerstmann's brought up (not infrequently) the story of a guy running around a trade show before it came out going "IT'S AN RTS! AN RTS!!"

AV

Oh, almost forgot a recent one, There Is No Game. Ghost of Caelid Ghost of Caelid if you haven't played this, please check it out, it's not that long and not really replayable but it's so worth the money for the experience you get. Best to go in entirely blind. Really neat and weirdly heartwarming homage to a bunch of older game genres.

Last edited:

Fbh

Outer Wilds

While the game is pretty much what it presents itself as (a space exploration game), it really subverted my expectations in the way the world was designed and how progressions is handled.
I got in with expectations regarding exploration and progression formed by 20+ years playing games: Find obstacle --> explore until I find a new tool, item and/or skill --> get past obstacle. That's how games have always worked for me: There's spikes on the floor, oh well either I'm getting a double jump later on to get past them, or some spike resistant amor, or a grappling hook, etc.
Instead I got one of the most interestingly constructed game worlds I've played in, and awesome way to get past obstacles that's based on knowledge of the world rather than tools or skills.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I'm not really interested in the Xenoblade games as a whole and while I don't dislike Anime, I'm also not a big fan.

XCX is not designed for me whatsoever but it just absolutely works on me. Absolutely adore that game.

Team Tatsu!

p7IOZwg.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Yooka laylee every level felt weak I don’t want to bury the game but when I started it I imagined banjo kazoie.

L.A.-Noire-Xbox360-cover.jpg

l.a. noire. when played straight, it's an over-melodramatic, clunky, & disappointing treatment of an extremely badass place & time...

but, when just messing around, it's maybe the most ingenious, flat-out hilarious, laugh out loud 'naked gun' style games ever created...

Top Bottom