• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite generation of gaming so far?

Laptop1991

I'm PC from the 90's, so pretty much anything up until GTA online in 2013, with a few exceptions afterwards, although if i had to choose then the noughties would win for me, while adding Skyrim in 2011.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
PSwii60 is the peak of gaming.

Graphics on PS360 games still hold up very well today (resolution aside) and it's the generation that broke through where the technology allows for any level of narrative to be told and believable.

Gears/GTAV/Red Dead Redemption/TLOU/Mario Galaxy

AndrewRyan

The PS2 era was the last innocent/pure generation when the goals of gamers and game producers were perfectly aligned. Sony being the defacto platform meant more game variety, less porting, not so much wasted energy on platform wars.

Now though is my favorite generation cause of the marvelous technology! 4k 120fps OLED TVs, wireless VR, insanely fast loading, digital libraries, Steam sales. So many fun games to choose from no matter what your taste where the hard part is just figuring out how to discover them!

Xeaker

It's funny because I recall during 6th generation people were bitching about there not being enough jrpg on ps2 compared to psx

Hm not where I have been around. Felt like there was always a new JRPG waiting as soon as you finished one :D
It was with the next GEN PS3/360 where it started to slow down.

Robb

Gold Member
I’d go with PS3,Wii,360/PSP,DS personally.

Both PSP and DS were amazing, and I personally really enjoyed the Wii. PS3 took a while to get going but delivered some fantastic games in the end. And I’ve only heard good things about 360 (except for the RROD).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'll always love the PS2 and Gameboy days but last gen was my favourite because of PS4, Switch, and I built my first PC in 2015.

My favourite games:
  • Bloodborne
  • Sekiro
  • Elden Ring
  • The Witcher 3
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Persona 5 / Royal
  • Persona 5 Strikers
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Nier Automata
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • GTA V
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • FFVII Remake
Most of the games there I would never have bothered with last gen. I mean, I only got into From Software games with Bloodborne. Like most people, The Witcher 3 was my introduction to the series. I avoided Persona games and now I'm hooked on SMT games (looking forward to Soul Hackers 2). BOTW was only my second Zelda (played OOT on 3DS) and FFVII Remake was the first FF i enjoyed. I also remember not being sure about Nier Automata. My point is just that this generation I had a more open mind and was willing to try new stuff and as a result I have a shit load of favourite games now :D

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Probably Ps3/360.
I enjoyed to jump to HD, the easier online connectivity on consoles, we got a ton of cool new IP's (Mass Effect, Dragons Dogma, Bayonetta, Nier, Dark Souls, Uncharted, Arkham, Bioshock, Gears of War, Dead Space, Portal, Dishonored, Valkyria Chronicles, etc) and cool sequels (Red Dead Redemption, Halo 3, Skyrim, New Vegas, God of War 3, Yakuza 3-0, etc) and dev times and budgets were still manageable so projects didn't take 5-6 years. Plus it wasn't really until the final years that GaaS and extreme monetization started to kick in.

About the only thing I didn't really like from that gen was that Japanese devs struggled a bit. We still got good stuff by FROM, Mistwalker and Sega but companies like Capcom struggled, we basically had the downfall of Konami, Atlus released no HD Persona or Shin megami Tensei, Final Fantasy got turned into the Lightning Chronicles, etc.
Yeah exactly!!!
Look ar 2011 or 2007 console releases and it’s crazy. Jump to hd was also a real change.
Of course I do love many ps4 gen games but the hd era was real game changer.

SeraphJan

Yeah exactly!!!
Look ar 2011 or 2007 console releases and it’s crazy. Jump to hd was also a real change.
Of course I do love many ps4 gen games but the hd era was real game changer.
I agree with this, but the Jump from 5th to 6th is also huge

One of the good example is, if you compare the Original Resident Evil on PS1(1996) to Resident Evil Remake on GameCube(2002), on the surface they looked at least 2 generation apart with only 6 year gap

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I agree with this, but the Jump from 5th to 6th is also huge

One of the good example is, if you compare the Original Resident Evil on PS1(1996) to Resident Evil Remake on GameCube(2002), on the surface they looked at least 2 generation apart with only 6 year gap
Always boggled my mind when I remind myself of this. 6 years… No wonder these were the haydays of gaming. Things moved sooooo fast and so drastic in such a short period of time.

Last edited:

EDMIX

qg3ungQ.gif
uVSy3vZ.gif
Hx2gfTZ.gif

I fucking heard this post...

Agreed.

Some of my favorite versions of many series I love were on PS2.

My favorite FF title with X (don't give a fuck...FIGHT ME)
Favorite MGS title with 3
Favorite DMC, with 3
Favorite Resident Evil (Code Veronica, though Dreamcast isn't listed, it starts that gen so....we'd say its in it lol)
Favorite Splinter Cell...Chaos Theory
Favorite GTA with SA
Favorite Smash Bros (fuck the rest, they got it right with Melee lol FIGHT ME)
Favorite Mario (Sunshine, I like it slightly better then 64 and imho, this was the last good 3D Mario in terms of controls)
Favorite Zelda title with Windwaker (also have the GC remaster of OoT so....yea)
Favorite Silent Hill with 3 and 4
Favorite Persona with 4 (So far)
Favorite Onimusha....all of them lol

photofunky.gif

here you go...

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I fucking heard this post...

Agreed.

Some of my favorite versions of many series I love were on PS2.

My favorite FF title with X (don't give a fuck...FIGHT ME)
Favorite MGS title with 3
Favorite DMC, with 3
Favorite Resident Evil (Code Veronica, though Dreamcast isn't listed, it starts that gen so....we'd say its in it lol)
Favorite Splinter Cell...Chaos Theory
Favorite GTA with SA
Favorite Smash Bros (fuck the rest, they got it right with Melee lol FIGHT ME)
Favorite Mario (Sunshine, I like it slightly better then 64 and imho, this was the last good 3D Mario in terms of controls)
Favorite Zelda title with Windwaker (also have the GC remaster of OoT so....yea)
Favorite Silent Hill with 3 and 4
Favorite Persona with 4 (So far)
Favorite Onimusha....all of them lol

photofunky.gif

here you go...
Yup let's not forget Dreamcast is also a part of 6th gen, some of my favorite title are from Dreamcast, such as SoulCalibur 2, Resident Evil CV, Power Stone etc.

EDMIX

i'll always love the PS2 and Gameboy days but last gen was my favourite because of PS4, Switch, and I built my first PC in 2015.

My favourite games:
  • Bloodborne
  • Sekiro
  • Elden Ring
  • The Witcher 3
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Persona 5 / Royal
  • Persona 5 Strikers
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Nier Automata
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • GTA V
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • FFVII Remake
Most of the games there I would never have bothered with last gen. I mean, I only got into From Software games with Bloodborne. Like most people, The Witcher 3 was my introduction to the series. I avoided Persona games and now I'm hooked on SMT games (looking forward to Soul Hackers 2). BOTW was only my second Zelda (played OOT on 3DS) and FFVII Remake was the first FF i enjoyed. I also remember not being sure about Nier Automata. My point is just that this generation I had a more open mind and was willing to try new stuff and as a result I have a shit load of favourite games now :D

RESPECT!

I think if you played those other titles like Witcher 1 and 2 or Persona 3 and 4, you would love them just as much as the sequels as they are also really great titles. So it seems like those games at least got an entry point for many fans to join in on the fun.

BOTW isn't my favorite Zelda, but its a fine game.
I don't know if you'll like it like most of your list , but you should also check out Dragon Quest XI. Looking at FF, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Persona, Yakuza and many more, PS4 gen might be the closest we'd get to a PS2 type generation lol

I would typically say current-gen, but this gen has a rocky weird start due to all the global issues, so I'll stick to last gen (PS4/XBO).

I don't care much for nostalgia. Time moves on and so should we.

PS360 revolutionized gaming the most for me. First time playing online with a consolr on X360, first time having a innovative new method of control in games with the wiimote and first time I really got into Sonys IPs. Not to mention that games with modern graphics were great looking compared to PS2 era where the transition from 2D sprites to 3D pixels was still in development. And in the beginning there were no private parties which made online gaming so much more fun than it is today. And Sony and Microsoft were so competitive that we, as gamer, profited from all their efforts to outsell their rival. An amazing generation.

the_master

Top 3:
1- Gen 5: Saturn, Playstation, N64. Greatest leap in gaming and very fast improvements and constant gameplay innovation.
2- Gen 6: Dreamcast, Xbox. Good leaps and severely improved gameplay and visuals
3- Gen 4: peak 2d era with great games and strong arcade titles, like gen 6did to gen 5.

Then gen6, the 360 gen would come close due to so many good and meaningful games.

We missed gen 9 having some only vr console (nintendo) and instead we had vr as an accessory for 8 gen consoles, pc and mobile.
A lost opportunity for a spectacular gen like gen 5 was with 3D

Now a days I think there are too many mediocre games flooding all catalogues, especially flooding mobile, it is hrder to sty on top of ut all and fund the gmes that count

consoul

6th gen.
PS2, Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox & GBA.
So many incredibly fun games and multiplayer still mostly happened with everyone in the same room.

It's going to be inextricably tied to where I was in my life at the time. Pretty sure all entertainment co-opts the emotions you've built up around them in your real life when looking back on them. Hard to separate the two.

Having said that, I'd go with whatever the N64 generation was. The jump from 2D to 3D was like nothing before or since. Yes, I know some people were doing 3D before that, but this was 3D for the masses.

I really can't decide between the 8-bit and the 16-bit generation's - they're so amazing.

After them everything was utter shit until the PS3 came out and the 3D graphics wasn't quite as atrocious to look at, and every generation has been okay since the. Same old. Some true standout titles, but as for the whole generations.. Nah.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Favorite - 8/16 bit era. The peak of Japanese and 2D gaming, also the golden age of PC games.
Best - 360/PS3 era. The best designed games that still hold up till this day. The last era where we still had a good variety of Japanese games.

But you can also argue that whatever era we are in is always the "best", because of stuff like emulation, there's always more games and more types of games to play than ever before.

Top Bottom