• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite Schmup?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Figured I'd ask what schmups are everyone's favorites when rounding all the systems together for a big list.

Here are mine:

1. Radiant Silvergun - I liked this the most because the unique arsenal gave me many options on how I could play through the game each time I started, and I liked the idea of leveling up my ship as an alternative to power-ups (not that I mind those either ;)). Great production values for its time, and I just loved the epic boss battles!

2. Darius Gaiden - The Darius series has long remained one of my biggest favorites for its unusual enemy selection and level branching (adding much replayability), plus the power-ups that leveled up your attacks and shield were a nice touch. The best part to this game though? Definitely those bosses! :D

3. Raystorm - The first schmup I ever bought myself, and the game is still a nice fit for me today. I loved the added emphasis for the lock-on lasers in this installment with more targets and a special lock-on attack if you can nail the same target at once. The levels were gorgeous for their time, and the soundtrack is Zuntata goodness all the way!

4. Thunder Force V - I've played Thunder Force titles before this one, but TFV was the first game in the series I owned and beat. The weapons get a nice boost in this game, and the game's difficulty is absolutely punishing as I tried going through the whole game with my Free Range weapon. The boss battles were very fun in this game too, and I always laugh at the boss in the fourth level that tried to blow you away after you think you've destroyed it.

5. G-Darius - I know, another Darius game! :p But seriously, everything I liked about Darius Gaiden was brought back with an added bonus of capturing regular enemies to fight bosses with, and the option to turn them into a giant beam to nail the level boss with! (try a beam duel with the boss for added effect!)

6. Robo Aleste - A great introduction to the Aleste series for me, this game had some very creative art direction and enemy design. The weapons were very unique as well, and the story elements were cool to witness too!

7. Sokyugurentai - Easily one of the greatest games I've played for my Saturn, this game is an underrated gem that deserves more attention. The lock-on system was unique in this game with two different options, and the ship variety was nice too. I really liked the graphics in this game too, as the approach was unique to other schmups I've played.

8. Gradius V - Freaking hard, but easily the most refined entry in the series as this game sticks to its roots and improves upon everything. The graphics in this game are still great by today's standards which says a lot.

9. Ikaruga - Insanely hard, but the color-switching system was a nice touch. This game isn't about avoiding gunfire, it's about adapting to it, and that alone makes it rather groundbreaking in its own right.

10. Galaga - A tried and true arcade classic that's always fun for me to aim for a new high score on!

Honorable Mentions: Thunder Force III and IV, Elemental Master, Galactic Attack/Layer Section, Keio Flying Squadron, Cotton, Metal Black, 1941, Mars Matrix, Space Invaders, Sengoku Blade 2, Aero Fighters II, Last Resort, In The Hunt, Zanac (and the sequel for PS1), Einhander, R Type, R-Type Delta, Raiden, Gunbird 2, Giga Wing, and Gaia Seed.

Future Schmup Purchases I'm Considering - Battle Garegga, Batsugun, Kingdom Grandprix, M.U.S.H.A., Cotton 2, Border Down, Under Defeat, Zero Gunner 2, Hyper Duel, and Blast Wind.

I am also open to any recommendations for quality Schmups out there as I'm willing to play more of them these days!

skeletor-png-8-Transparent-Images.png

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Haven't played many, but out of those I have, it's Ikaruga without a doubt.

Holammer

If I ever boot up an emulator I'll probably play any of these. List in no particular order, but R-type is my #1.
I try a lot of new ones, but these are games I played in the arcade ('cept for Harmful Park), lotta nostalgia, but I'm not too fond of all the new systems & bullet hell. I want to enjoy the graphics and not hyper focus on bullet slalom all the time.

1. R-type
2. Raiden 1&2
3. Truxton
4. Slap Fight
5. In the Hunt
6. Harmful Park
7. Gunbird 2
8. Thundercade
9. Time Pilot

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

anthony2690

Banned
Wtf is a schmup? Sounds like an insult.

My fave STGs though:

1. Mushihimesama Futari 1.5
2. Bullet Soul Infinite Burst
3. Gunbird 2
4. Gunbird
5. Espgaluda 2
6. Deathsmiles
7. Dodonpachi Resurrection
8. Akai Katana Shin
9. Strania
10. Guwange
11. Progear
12. Gigawing

& My fave run and gun game is metal slug x

& a STG I really DO NOT like is Pink Sweets, I hate this game.

I'm waiting for more of these Psikyo games to come out, as I'm dying to try out Dragon blaze 2 as it looks a lot like Gunbird :)

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Shmups are near and dear to my heart and one of the main draws of still playing videogames after all these years.
Im convinced the very best of the genre displays absolute masterclass of game design of the videogame medium in general. Theres nothing in gaming (or any media) like reaching the zen-like state required to succeed in a well made bullethell. The the minds who invented and programmed these experiences should be celebrated.

Battle Garegga is neck and neck with Radiant Silvergun for the greatest shmup of all time, for me.

Garegga's difficulty, enemy patterns, and enemy behavior alter and morph based off your performance and which powerups you are (or arent) picking up.
Not only are there millions of bullets on the screen you need to avoid for sheer survival - but if playing for score, you have to navigate thru those same bullets just to level up your medal count and keep collecting them without missing any to keep them at their max bonus.
Garegga's scoring systems and difficulty programming are so complex that people are still finding out new ways to play it 20+ years later. Not to mention all the cool hidden secrets in the background, nods to previous shmup easter eggs, and just overall weird things that sometimes happens like NES style graphical glitches even on the PS4/XB1 ports.

Wrap it up in a gritty artstyle of ultra detailed alternate WWII-mixed with futuristic type machinary - and some of the best videogame music ever recorded.
Battle Garegga is simply one for the ages.

I could talk shmups all day long but I must almost mention the grandaddies of bullethell:
Batsugun and DoDonPachi. These simply must be experienced and absorbed by anyone interested in the genre. Theres a reason people still talk and play these regularly to this day.
A good shmup will never get old...

Last edited:

Impotaku

I don't have a top 10 as crimzon clover totally obliterated all other shmups for me nothing has come up to that one so far even cave stuff looks weak in comparison the amount that it can throw around on screen and hardly ever slowdown is a feat to be seen. It's just pure intense fun.

the_master

You could try Caladrius Blaze and Death Smiles as well.

Very different (new nd roguelite) stereden

Edit: what is the difference between a shmup and a schmup?

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
I have some pretty miserable memories playing shmup games as a child, Having said that i did enjoy
playing R-type using save state, makes those kind of games more pleasant experience

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
SWIV, Silkworm, Xenon II.

Haven't played a whole lot of shmups since the Amiga days.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
That music is incredible! But I have to give the nod to Thunder Force 3. TF4 looks better, but I think TF3 hits the sweet spot in terms of difficulty and length.
I'm not sure I played TF4 but I'd take Gaiares over TF3 any day. Those graphics were amazing back in the day

baphomet

DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label

Probably because I've put the most time into that one. I like lots of them though

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Love shmups. In no particular order:

Mars Matrix
Fantasy Zone
Ikaruga
Gridrunner++
Gradius V
Dodonpachi
Strikers 1945
Border Down
Under Defeat
Choplifter (arcade/SMS)
Power Strike II

If we're including forward scrolling rail stuff, then Space Harrier and Sin & Punishment also go on the list.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Galaga
Time Pilot
Gyruss
Thunder Force 3
MUSHA
Contra 3
Axelay
Einhander
Varoius indie twin stick shooters from the 360 era

I'm not a huge shmup fan but I love Axelay. One of my favorite childhood games, very impressive for the time with its use of mode 7 and great OST.

My fav shooter of all time. The typical SNES slowdown and flickering pops up here and there, but the overall package is awesome. Graphics, sound, and they even intertwine a very basic story plot with the family locket.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

Raiden
Raiden 2
Raiden DX
Raiden Fighters
Viper Phase 1
Einhander
Ibara
Sol Deace (Sol Feace)
Arrow Flash
Ikaruga
Phalanx
U.N. Squadron (Area 88)
Philosoma
Macross Do You Remember Love
Gaires

Life Force is the first game I ever beat. I love that shit and it still holds up today.

Some others:

Robo Aleste (Sega CD)
Android Assault (Sega CD)
Spriggan (PC Engine CD)
Spriggan Mk2 (PC Engine CD)
Gradius V (PS2)
R-Type Delta (PS1)
R-Type Final (PS2)
G-Darius (PS1)
Ikaruga (GameCube)
Pulstar (NeoGeo)
Raiden
Shikhondo: Soul Eater

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
andro dunos, I know but I don't care it was in my local pizzaria when I was young and I like it
Raiden, life force,hellfire, cotton 1, blazing lazers, soldier blade, , gun nac, blazing star, aero fighters 2

Just for the pure fun and character filled levels -
  • Rayman Legends/Origins mosquito levels
  • Cuphead airplane levels.

In a more traditional sense I always loved River Raid, R-type, Gradius. I don't have the skills/patience for the truly manic games in this genre.

TwiztidElf

Space Harrier. But I'm not sure this counts?
Traditional: Thunderforce 3 and 4. (I didn't know V existed, so I'll need to check that out).
Modern: Death Smiles. and Resogun.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Space Harrier. But I'm not sure this counts?
Traditional: Thunderforce 3 and 4. (I didn't know V existed, so I'll need to check that out).
Modern: Death Smiles.
I used to play space harrier in the arcades in some cockpit model. Was awesome. Looking back, I’m not sure if that was the standard cabinet or was an afterburner conversion cab.

Kind of like when I played two tigers on a cab that had a dial. Only two tigers I ever played was at one arcade. Turns out that was a tron cab and the original two tigers cab has pilot sticks!

Tams

Gold Member
Not realty into schmups, but Ikaruga is great, if stupidly hard.

For something easier Astebleed is great.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Probably the ones I grew up with.

The janky MSX version of Lifeforce known as Salamander. Even have the soundtrack on vinyl.

The first Aleste on MSX is also very important to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom