• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favourite era of Resident Evil?

Well, I also feel they did us dirty by not remaking CV. I mean, what the hell is up with that decision anyway?

For anybody needing reminding, CV basically is the "real" RE4 in a manner of speaking. It came after RE2, although we had RE3 for some reason. But yep. CV is the fourth mainline game. It's the proper follow up to the events of RE2, starring Claire and Chris Redfield.

My guess is that Capcom just couldn't be arsed to take a gamble on a game that some fans have branded harshly as being mediocre. So it makes sense if you're out to make money that you'd just be like, sod it, and skip a game for to go straight to the big cash cow. But even so. CV comes before RE4. Don't ever forget it.

I just don't get why Capcom would do that. They could have remade CV first, and had RE4 released way closer to the date of the original game's release date, in terms of a 20 year cut off point. Like say they aimed it at 2025. CV could have satisfied fans meanwhile, and they could have released an online game of some sort as well. You know?

The PS5 will still be around. Huh?

Oh, Capcom...

Soodanim

RE4 is one of my favourite games of all time, but this is about eras.
The Classic Era is my favourite. I don't even have to think about it. 1, 2, 3, CVX. REmake, 0. The most consistent era for mainline games.
The Modern Era is the worst. 4 is there bringing up the average, but 5, 6, Revelations 1/2 don't do things any favours. Rev2 is the best after 4. Aside from RE4 it's the dark age. The franchise didn't know what it wanted to be.
The RE Engine Era is the second best. Even without touching 7/8 (I still haven't), the remake of 2, and even 3's remake for all its flaws, are great games to play.

I really enjoyed Resident Evil: Revelations 2 as well. It was just what the good doctor ordered after the travesty that was RE6. LOL.

Some nice throwbacks to the iconic lines in the original RE, and CV can be heard. And it has a story worth a damn. And Barry was finally made playable in a canonical adventure!

I didn't really think much of the first Revelations, but it was okay. The game had some great ideas with the invisible Hunters, but just felt average in other ways. It felt like a pretty generic survival horror game with Chris and Jill reunited, without a good enough storyline to support it.

Although I'm surprised we haven't gotten that Outrage game on the Nintendo Switch yet. It was said that Rebecca Chambers was to be in college now. Natalia Korda would be the main villain, with Alex Wesker controlling her mind. It sounded interesting, at least.

They would have to axe the ones that sound great. But meh. It is what it is.

Last edited:

sachos

Im not sure about era but my favourites are RE4, RE2 Remake and RE Remake. Classic 2 and 3 were awesome too. I like the gameplay additions in Classic 3 but the story wasnt that good compared to Classic 2.
Havent played CV, RE3 Remake nor 7 nor 8 yet

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
PSX Trilogy are the best and will always be my favorite. The tone was spot on. Lots of ridiculous elements but it felt real in a way and overall much more based in reality.

CVX is when the series jumped the shark and it's been pretty dumb ever since. They went from a western horror vibe to full on anime archetype. Bleh.

RE4 is a good game but I get bored of it after a while. Just mobs upon mobs. Gets old to me.
I think RE5 & 6 are absolute shit. Coop is dumb fun but RE5 rides RE4s coattails too hard. RE6 is quite possibly the dumbest game ever made but also dumb fun in coop. Just play on easy and treat it like a beat-em-up. Bonus points for rolling around on the ground and slashing at ankles with your knife.

I can have fun with all the games and have played them all numerous times, the original trilogy will always be the best to me because I think the tone and gameplay loop are just so on point. Flawless games IMO. RE4 is flawless too in many ways but the gameplay loops gets stale for me.

To each their own though, clearly I'm a die hard RE fan and everyone has their favorites for different reasons. It's all love even when I disparage certain games in the series.

edit- Barry's portrayal in REV2 is the closest we've got to the tone of the OG games. Ethan comes kinda close but his dialogue is pretty weak for the most part. They delivered the goods with Barry in Rev2.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Im not sure about era but my favourites are RE4, RE2 Remake and RE Remake. Classic 2 and 3 were awesome too. I like the gameplay additions in Classic 3 but the story wasnt that good compared to Classic 2.
Havent played CV, RE3 Remake nor 7 nor 8 yet
CVX is honestly one of the best RE games in terms of classic style gameplay but it does have some spots that can completely screw you over if you aren't prepared. It ruins the game for a lot of people cause you can't really be prepared the way you need to be if it's a first-time playthrough.

If you do end up trying it out, please post a LTTP thread, I love hearing people's thoughts if they've never played the game before.

fart town usa

Gold Member
RE4 is one of my favourite games of all time, but this is about eras.
The Classic Era is my favourite. I don't even have to think about it. 1, 2, 3, CVX. REmake, 0. The most consistent era for mainline games.
The Modern Era is the worst. 4 is there bringing up the average, but 5, 6, Revelations 1/2 don't do things any favours. Rev2 is the best after 4. Aside from RE4 it's the dark age. The franchise didn't know what it wanted to be.
The RE Engine Era is the second best. Even without touching 7/8 (I still haven't), the remake of 2, and even 3's remake for all its flaws, are great games to play.
100% agree with how you sum up the various eras. Well said.

sachos

CVX is honestly one of the best RE games in terms of classic style gameplay but it does have some spots that can completely screw you over if you aren't prepared. It ruins the game for a lot of people cause you can't really be prepared the way you need to be if it's a first-time playthrough.

If you do end up trying it out, please post a LTTP thread, I love hearing people's thoughts if they've never played the game before.
Now you got me intrigued, i guess you can get soft locked?

I would love for Konami to announce something to do with Silent Hill tomorrow. But all of this hearsay over the last several years has never amounted to anything other than more rumours.

RE has been consistent. I'll say that. But all of these years, I've missed Silent Hill. It basically skipped a whole generation because of Hideo Kojima leaving Konami. But man. Learn a thing or two from Capcom already.

Even if there are times Capcom screws up, they have kept us occupied. We always get plenty of new RE content. So it would be great for Konami to match their commitment.

Ironically, 2012 was the year where we got the most Silent Hill projects. But they just messed it up, big time. This has to change if the franchise should return. But count our lucky stars that we get a lot of updates on RE served up to us. For it's one of the few gaming franchises that has considerable longevity.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Now you got me intrigued, i guess you can get soft locked?
Yea, more or less.

First big boss fight can be brutal if you're short on powerful ammo. And then there's other elements that involve the lighter and if you do things wrong with it, you can miss out on certain weapons and whatnot. I really disliked the game for the longest but revisited it a few years back and it dawned on me just how great the game really is in terms of gameplay. It's one of my favorites now.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Truly a Survival Horror experience. It gets a lot of flak for being the first non pretendered background title, but the locations are awesome, and the inventory/health management is tense as Hell, especially when you get some Hunters on you. Great game.

jm89

Ps1 era, when it was at it's scariest. Re1s creepy mansion vibe is unmatched for me.

Although re7 does defintley come close interms of actually being scary.

MiguelItUp

For me, 96 through 05. Though I didn't care for Code Veronica or 0. Everything else was so damn good. After that I thought everything was alright or meh until 7, which was pretty neat, then RE2 Remake which was amazing. I thought RE3 remake was okay for what it was, and I thought Village was ok. But I'm hoping the RE4 remake is solid.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Truly a Survival Horror experience. It gets a lot of flak for being the first non pretendered background title, but the locations are awesome, and the inventory/health management is tense as Hell, especially when you get some Hunters on you. Great game.
Completely agree. Over the last few years I've really become OCD about picture settings with classic era RE. I play most of them on old hardware via CRT with the best cable output the system & TV can handle. CVX is a thing of absolute beauty when you really dial in the contrast and brightness. You're basically forced to use the lighter at all times cause the game is damn dark but it adds so much to the overall experience.

I mention that cause a lot of people criticize the "fog" used as darkness but it's really only there if the image is too bright. The lighter also makes items shimmer, if the lighter isn't out the items just kind of blend in with the scenery. I've convinced myself that CVX is meant to be played with a really dark image. Also factors in if you give the lighter to the prison guard, Antarctica is so insanely dark when you play as Claire and the first thing you need to do is turn on the power so the lights come on...

edit- Also, since you can't hold both the lighter and gun, swapping to the gun in battle and the small pieces of light that a fired bullet lets off, you see brief images of zombies staggering towards you, it's such a great effect.

It just seems designed to be played with a dark image.

Last edited:

sachos

Yea, more or less.

First big boss fight can be brutal if you're short on powerful ammo. And then there's other elements that involve the lighter and if you do things wrong with it, you can miss out on certain weapons and whatnot. I really disliked the game for the longest but revisited it a few years back and it dawned on me just how great the game really is in terms of gameplay. It's one of my favorites now.
Good to know, im guessing the best version is the HD version on PS4 or Xbox? I think i will have to emulate the Gamecube version on Dolphin.

Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil: Code Veronica

That was when my interest in the series was at its peak. The only other games in the series I play was REmake 2 & RE7. Loved both. Will likely play 3make when its on sale, and am for sure going to get RE4make day 1.

Completely agree. Over the last few years I've really become OCD about picture settings with classic era RE. I play most of them on old hardware via CRT with the best cable output the system & TV can handle. CVX is a thing of absolute beauty when you really dial in the contrast and brightness. You're basically forced to use the lighter at all times cause the game is damn dark but it adds so much to the overall experience.

I mention that cause a lot of people criticize the "fog" used as darkness but it's really only there if the image is too bright. The lighter also makes items shimmer, if the lighter isn't out the items just kind of blend in with the scenery. I've convinced myself that CVX is meant to be played with a really dark image. Also factors in if you give the lighter to the prison guard, Antarctica is so insanely dark when you play as Claire and the first thing you need to do is turn on the power so the lights come on...

One of the first things i do in all games is dial in the gamma and brightness. I hate a washed out image. I want to play the game as it was intended to look, even if that means visually your perception is hindered.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Good to know, im guessing the best version is the HD version on PS4 or Xbox? I think i will have to emulate the Gamecube version on Dolphin.
Yea, the PS4/XBO version is actually really good. I played through it a few months ago and whatever emulator they used, it does wonders for the visuals. Brings in a lot of clarity. I'd even go so far to say that it looks better than the PS3/360 remaster of CVX. The remaster has MT framework for the lighting engine and it's neat but the PS2 lighting engine holds up fine if you get your picture settings dialed in.

CV was the only RE game to feature the purple, poisonous Hunters, known as Sweepers. But if they remade that game, they would probably severely half-ass it. They would likely decide to remove the Gulp Worm for starters, because the RE3 remake omitted the rather similar Grave Digger boss. So keep that in mind.

In general, CV is a very long game. You have all of the build up with Claire going to the palace and what you do to get the plane ready. In fact, Chris doesn't appear until late into the game. With how the RE2 and 3 remakes got the cut content treatment, it's hard not to see CV suffering a similar fate.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

edit- Also, since you can't hold both the lighter and gun, swapping to the gun in battle and the small pieces of light that a fired bullet lets off, you see brief images of zombies staggering towards you, it's such a great effect.

Never tried it mixed with darkness in mind, sounds neat. I can imagine places like the private residence behind that weird calendar puzzle being super awesome that way. Cheers!

tommib

Up until Resident Evil 4 (including). I don’t like the new stuff much, sorry. They’re good games but it’s not the same thing. The transition from 6 to 7 was spectacular though. It was awesome to see Capcom understand that they were losing the core fans despite RE6 being the most successful title to date. They brought the horror back instead of heading to COD territory.

Resident Evil 1, RE Remake and RE4 are some of the best games ever made and complete classics.

1. The fixed-camera era (RE1, RE2, RE3, RE:CV, RE1R, RE0, RE:O1, RE:O2)
2. The "RE Engine" era (RE7, RE8, RE2R, RE3R)
3. The "action" oriented era (RE4, RE5, RE6, Rev1, Rev2, ORC)

4,5,6,7,8 are garbage from a fans perspective.

For 4, 5 and 6, maybe. Absolutely not for 7 and 8.

As long as the horror is retained and the base mechanics are still there, it doesn't matter what position the camera takes.

The classic era is there, as a staple of what made the series great (and the only currently alive horror saga of that era). Puzzles, inventory management, fixed camera, all that good stuff.

The era of 4-6 is good as it modernized the gameplay, enormously expanding the playerbase (with the good and the bad that implies). They are great as an arcadey kill-upgrade-kill loop, quite addictive.

And the recent era 7-9 is a mix of new and old, with a first person perspective. 7 is more back to the roots, and 8 is more arcadey, who knows what 9 will be.

Yeah, can't decide which period I like the most, since each of them has its quirks and wonders.

(but obviously the king of them all is gun survivor)

For me, it's the 1996 to 2005 period. Hands down.

RE4 may have been a different game, but it is still fantastic. But playing it now, it's hard to like it as much as newer games because the controls feel crappy. It's also easy to see why the direction changed forever after that game was so action heavy and made to be nothing like the prior games.

After that, I don't know. Besides a few games being decent, the franchise has been subjected to regular mismanagement from Capcom, with mediocre sequels every so often and even worse spin off titles. The majority of these have just been atrocious.

For some reason, they keep going back to 1998 over and over again too. That just becomes so pointless. It occurs with some games, and movies. But fans just don't appreciate this garbage.

The remakes may have let people down, because they might have been holding out for the RE1 remake style. But in this generation, it feels lame to remove so much content that featured some 20 years previously, in the original.

The RE Engine era feels like a third period. So essentially, we have three notable time periods for the entire series. 1996 to 2005. Then 2005 to 2015, I guess. And 2017 up to now.

Hope they don't mess up the RE4 remake too much. They wouldn't dare. Would they?
Resident Evil 1-4 followed by RE7 and 8.

5 and 6 are disgusting pieces of garbage though.

This is gonna sound funny, but after the first remake came out in 2002, I haven't actually gone back and played the 1996 version again. So the last time I did was likely in early 2002. So um, gee. Probably exactly 20 years ago!

I must have purchased a GameCube in September of that year. But after seeing how amazing it was, there's no way I wanted to go back to the original. They basically did such a fantastic job, that it's a shame future entries were not nearly as stunning. The closest we got was with RE0, but I am inclined to consider that game to be great visually, but kind of boring to play through. Once the train derails, it tends to become monotonous for a while.

All I remember was playing the original PlayStation game non stop from the age of 13 up to when I turned 16. :)

Knightime_X

It's all over the place for me.
Re2 1998 has a special place in my heart, but I enjoyed and played re4 the most.
I really enjoyed re6 because it went ham and was a fun ride.
Re8 was 10x better than 7.
Hated re zero and Code veronica if ever remade is in serious need of an overhaul.

I have a large collection of survival horror games. I even purchased games for consoles I don't own, because of how dedicated I am to the genre. And the original RE2 is to thank for that. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom