• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your opinion about 'dub' vs sub?

Do you like Dubbing or Subtitles better?

• Dubbing

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Subtitles

Votes: 65 70.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

NahaNago

Mostly sub for me. I think the only anime series I've seen mostly dubbed is dragon ball but that is mostly because I watched a lot of those on vhs tapes.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I will try out both in a new anime. Whichever I prefer I go with. Find modern dubs to be really good. Hell I rewatch one piece episodes as new ones come out in dub since I caught up to episode 900 something before switching to manga and at the time the dub stopped at 500 something. Black clover, one piece, attack on titan, Dragonball, my hero academia, and several other shows I prefer dub or it's a wash and I go with my native language to get more connected emotionally with what they're saying.

Also the reason live action doesn't work for me and anime does is that the lip flaps match just as well with English as Japanese and the two actors are doing the same process. Hell the Japanese version is still a dub really as they still have to watch the animation and speak their lines into it

Gp1

To put things through another optic. There are some countries that requires the movies to be dubbed (France, Germany, Brazil, Spain etc) even if the subtitled version is available

And the are dubs and dubs...

Last edited:
Games better be dubbed or no buy! Koei and Sega lost me as a customer with their no dub warriors titles and yakuza. I get it they are Japanese characters but I don't speak it. I want to focus on action not text during it.

Assuming you don't have reading difficulties or something that prevents you using it then the SUb is by far superior as you get the actual performance from the actors.

Plus after 10 minutes into an episode the brain learns to read and translate and I legitimatly forget I'm not listening to my native language.

I could never watch a dub for anything that is live action. Don't really think it can be done well.

Top Bottom