• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your stance on rage quitting?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I had 3 anecdotes where I laughed at my opponent.

Anecdote 1.

1.- I was playing Marvel vs Capcom 2, when a guy was with his girlfriend, "I wanted to show off that he was going to beat me".

Suddenly, I won a game... another... another... another... another one, one game we were in the same line of health, time ran out... I was going to leave because I thought I lost, but by surprise they gave me the victory xDDD... then he challenged me again... again and I was already laughing in secret... and the last time I laughed and the boy left with the defeat with his girlfriend xDDDD.

Anecdote 2
I was playing Tatsunoko vs Capcom and a guy challenged me, the fight was even... I had RYU and Roll... time was running out and I had 4 seconds, he had more health than me... so I used the Deception technique... I used Roll's special movement at the last second... to recover energy, the opponent put up guard... I recovered health and won xDDDDD... The boy got so enraged that he left.

https://youtu.be/HW11gUOFDNU?t=286

I played Samurai Shodown 4, I used Galford... and a nerdy-looking guy challenged me... I beat him, again, again... again... and it made me laugh but I hid... then I started to Bully him doing fatalities in the last 3 victories... I laughed when he did fatalities and he also left xDDDD

Nemesisuuu

It's immature, lack of self control. Putting that much of your emotions in the game to 'hurt' you that way is just laughable.

cormack12

Gold Member
It depends. Sometimes it's the matchmaking fault. I'm happy to just let people twat me on FIFA if I fall into that trap, but if I get paired up with someone who I'm obviously better than I don't see the point annihilating them personally. And if they quit because I was 6-0 up at half time then I can understand it.

Matchmaking needs to be better and there needs to be more graceful 'forfeit match' options where you concede XP and any achievement counters. Would make it way less toxic.

As for team games, I generally stay in them till the end. It frustrates me seeing people trying to protect KDR in games like Battelfield though especially on modes like rush. Modes you are meant to die on basically.

Controversial but I honestly think hiding KDR is the right choice in 90% of games.

Edit: I'm more likely to rage quit when you try to organise raids with people who then fuck about getting drinks, making food and constantly breaking. Drawing out a 1 hour farm session into 2+ hours

Last edited:
I once left in the middle of a game of SupCom with friends because we were just rolling over the bots so much that it just got boring... does that count?

Rhazkul

I understand why people do it but i generally think it's bad conduct. Everytime you feel like rage quitting, use that oppertunity to work on your personal frustration tolerance. The higher your tolerance, the better. And this will translate into everything in your life.

Sentenza

Generally speaking, I always thought of basically-already-lost online matches as a chance to make some practice about how to deal with unfavorable scenarios without having to worry anymore about the outcome.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t care about it in any games outside of team based games.

It can be infuriating in games like Splatoon or StarCraft. If a teammate quits you’ve lost.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don’t care about it in any games outside of team based games.

It can be infuriating in games like Splatoon or StarCraft. If a teammate quits you’ve lost.
Yeah it depends on the game. If you quit during a 64 player Battlefield conquest game no-one is even going to notice. If you are holding a strategic position in an RTS and rage quit its a whole different thing.

MiguelItUp

Don’t ever do it in a team game is the rule. If you do, you’re a twat. This is doubly true if it’s a ranked game.
Agreed. If you throw tantrums because of your performance online, you shouldn't be playing competitively. It's absurd. Making other players have to deal with the results of a player's childishness is ridiculous.

Cheaters, rage quitters, and team killers (purposeful) ruin everything.

-Zelda-

Banned
I can only comment on single player games, because I do not mess with Online only stuff like Overwatch and others. For single player games, if you gave it your all and no matter what you do, you are not capable of getting gud, and it is causing you nothing but stress, then by all means, quit and never look back. I LOVE the way Soulsborne/like games look and feel with their lore and atmosphere, yet I have never completed one because the stress just is not worth it. The weird thing is that I am nearly genius tier when it comes to games like Bayonetta and Devil May Cry due to how insanely fast the combo gameplay and dodging system is, yet soulsborne has me losing sanity no matter how many years I have tried to push through it all and be better. It make me feel like I am a bad gamer, so I have moved on.

I'm asking myself the same question but I really cannot come up with an answer. My most likely scenario is I am depressed and looking for a way to speed through the day.
That could be it. I’ve dealt with depression my whole life and use gaming as an escape. Have you tried playing games that are more laid back and relaxing?

Last edited:

BlackTron

Ragequit in a 1v1 is equivalent to a forfeit, you win if they leave. In a team game, you should see your responsibility to carry your spot in the team until the very end.

On the other hand. Sometimes I get disconnected because I am playing too well, the opposite ragequit. Who are these people? Practicing Russian soldiers?

Fbh

It sucks in team based games, specially in ranked when they won't get replaced by a new player.

I remeber back when I played LOL some people would rage quit 30 fucking minutes into the match and it would all go down the drain.

One of the reasons I mostly just play Rocket league these days is that it has ranked mode for 1v1, 2v2 and 3v3 so you never have to play with randos if you don't want to

T-Cake

That could be it. I’ve dealt with depression my whole life and use gaming as an escape. Have you tried playing games that are more laid back and relaxing?

Yeah, it’s just that Halo Infinite multiplayer is a good one to play for Microsoft Rewards points. I like Fall Guys much better as that doesn’t give me stress.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I always got annoyed at those guys in WoW that tried to kick me from a dungeon because I was not playing perfectly or had the perfect gear.

You always run into one prick like that.

Last edited:
I’ve always wanted to see some system implemented where if you quit a game you can’t start another until the one you quit ends (or some amount of time).

If you legitimately had to quit for an emergency you’d be longer than the game took to end anyway.
And if you’re just a coward, you deserve nothing good.
Valorant already does this. It keeps putting you back in the same game if you try to connect while it's still live.

Griffon

In 1v1 as long as it's handled the Starcraft way I like it. instant win for me.

In games with server browsers (like TF2 or Hell Let Loose), it's no big deal.

In matchmaking-based team games it's bad.

Top Bottom