• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What laptop graphics card would be comparable to an xbox series X?

Daymos

Since I'm a fan of western RPGs I've determined that I need an Xbox or a new PC. I'd prefer a laptop and I'm wondering if a RTX 2070 (mobile of course) would be enough to run everything an Xbox series X could, at 1080p/60fps. I'm specifically looking to play elder scrolls 6 and baldurs gate 3.

I'm looking at something like this, although a 15 inch screen would be fine:
https://www.newegg.com/rog-strix-g-...w-es74-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235461

If that's not enough I'll probably wait for a laptop with a 3070 to fall in price, I'm not willing to pay more than $1,500 and they're a bit above 2k right now.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Since I'm a fan of western RPGs I've determined that I need an Xbox or a new PC. I'd prefer a laptop and I'm wondering if a RTX 2070 (mobile of course) would be enough to run everything an Xbox series X could, at 1080p/60fps. I'm specifically looking to play elder scrolls 6 and baldurs gate 3.

https://www.newegg.com/rog-strix-g-...w-es74-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235461

If that's not enough I'll probably wait for a laptop with a 3070 to fall in price, I'm not willing to pay more than $1,500 and they're a bit above 2k right now.
with this notebook, I have my concern about RAM in the future. While consoles games gets better and better by the time, we have Flight Simulator already asking 32GB on PC

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The title is a bit misleading.

OP, you don't want a laptop GPU that is comparable to a SeriesX, you want a laptop GPU that runs Series X games at 1080p, which I think it's practically the same as saying you want a laptop GPU that is comparable to the SeriesS (which supposedly runs the SeriesX games at 1080p-1440p).

With that in mind, you're probably good with a mobile 2070 but beware of the Max-Q versions that can be as slow as a 2060 but much more expensive. Also, a 2060 that is properly powered and cooled to hold over 1.2GHz core clocks might be enough for SeriesS parity.

However, right now might be a bad time to buy a laptop with a mid/high-end discrete GPU. The Navi 22 GPUs are about to come out with very similar specs to the PS5 and those should be the closest to a 9th-gen console you'll ever get on a laptop.

Definitely enough mate , there was a 2020 refresh of those 2070 mobile cards slightly higher clocked aswell I believe ... I have that very card in my Asus STRIX G15 it's a great card for 1080p @ 60 fps .

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
For $1,500, you can get a Series X/S and a functional 1080p laptop unless you just want to pay a lot for superior build quality/aesthetics.

//DEVIL//

Buy a cheap laptop without a powerful gpu like i7 or good i5. and buy a portable gpu case and your desired gpu with it .

Last edited:
Xbox Series X is 12 Teraflops (and PS5 10 TFlops), it's impossible to predict how the generation will play out but I think internal resolution will mostly be stuck on 1440p later on. I don't think this will be a native 4K generation at all for numerous reasons. If that were to be the case, a mobile RTX 2070 will show it's age at some point - DLSS might just offset that a little (if you go sub 1080p internally), but it depends on whether the reportedly upcoming console/amd implementation makes a generational leap on consoles or not.

Regardless, there is a current gen console targeting 1080p, Xbox Series S with 4 Teraflops. If you want to be safe that you can have some bells and whistles to it, go for 6 TFlops. 2070 fits the bill with 6.6 Tflops, 2060 doesn't with 4.5 Tflops. The biggest bottleneck might be the CPU really. All next gen consoles are 8 core, high clocked at that, for the first years that won't be an issue though.

Have you considered eGPU? I don't know your needs. Are you planning on gaming on the go?

EDIT: This will also be viable for some, Xbox Cloud Gaming is Microsoft's version of Stadia, it aims to let you play Xbox on any relatively modern device, without the Xbox.

Last edited:
2070 mobile which around 2060 desktop version is enough if you only play at 1080p/60, plus it has DLSS which could challenge series X at 1440p.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Run Xbox Series X games......at 1080p60?

An RTX potato should be able to handle that with full Raytracing in future games that have gimped Raytracing on consoles added advantage of DLSS and youll be swimming in frames per second.

And im not just being a fucker, literally all the RTX chips would be able to do that, even the smallest of the smalls.

SNG32

Gaming laptops are cool, but you'll regret it in a few years when the time to upgrade comes.

Honestly they are not bad at all. I've had a 1070 for almost 6 years and it can play alot of games that are coming out on ps5 and series x on high or medium settings no ray tracing of course. Getting a laptop that can play console level is like having a portable series X. Plus it's more multi purpose than a console. Like for me personally I don't really care for a desktop because I don't care to play games at 8K/60 fps. Give me a laptop with slighly above console setting and portibility and call it day. Different strokes for different folks. Plus I got a PS5 for stationary gaming.

I would go with atleast a 3070 though. A series X plays Assassins Creed Vallhalla at high settings 60 fps where a 3070 max p currently plays it at 70 fps ultra 1080p.

Last edited:
Probably a Laptop 3060ti/3070.

Please note: Despite what Nvidia wants you to think, the Laptop x60, x70 and x80 GPU's are significantly weaker than their desktop equivalents.

A Laptop 2080S = Desktop 2070.

Is that the only reason you are looking at buying a gaming laptop? Or do you need a laptop and figure you could get some gaming out of it? Do you have a PS5 or plan on getting one?

Because we don’t know what will happen with Bethesda yet, and Baldurs Gate has a good chance of coming to PlayStation at a later date.

3070 laptops just came out or are very shortly and start as low as $1299. At 1080p a 2070S is probably good enough but why buy a 2070S for the same price as a 3070 which will have newer components all around.

Also unless you are willing to pay gaming laptops are big and ugly and generally worse at being a laptop in general. For the money you’ll pay for a nice chassis you could buy a Series X and a MacBook Air and still have money left over while also having a much better laptop.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Honestly they are not bad at all. I've had a 1070 for almost 6 years and it can play alot of games that are coming out on ps5 and series x on high or medium settings no ray tracing of course. Getting a laptop that can play console level is like having a portable series X. Plus it's more multi purpose than a console. Like for me personally I don't really care for a desktop because I don't care to play games at 8K/60 fps. Give me a laptop with slighly above console setting and portibility and call it day. Different strokes for different folks. Plus I got a PS5 for stationary gaming.
Yeah, that's why I said that gaming laptops are cool. Mine has a 1060 6gb and could play most multiplats better than on console. It was also very cool being able to plug it to the TV with no effort at all or carrying it to lan parties and such.

But someday you have to upgrade, and then you'll need a new PC instead of just some parts.

Daymos

Xbox Series X is 12 Teraflops (and PS5 10 TFlops), it's impossible to predict how the generation will play out but I think internal resolution will mostly be stuck on 1440p later on. I don't think this will be a native 4K generation at all for numerous reasons. If that were to be the case, a mobile RTX 2070 will show it's age at some point - DLSS might just offset that a little (if you go sub 1080p internally), but it depends on whether the reportedly upcoming console/amd implementation makes a generational leap on consoles or not.

Regardless, there is a current gen console targeting 1080p, Xbox Series S with 4 Teraflops. If you want to be safe that you can have some bells and whistles to it, go for 6 TFlops. 2070 fits the bill with 6.6 Tflops, 2060 doesn't with 4.5 Tflops. The biggest bottleneck might be the CPU really. All next gen consoles are 8 core, high clocked at that, for the first years that won't be an issue though.

Have you considered eGPU? I don't know your needs. Are you planning on gaming on the go?

EDIT: This will also be viable for some, Xbox Cloud Gaming is Microsoft's version of Stadia, it aims to let you play Xbox on any relatively modern device, without the Xbox.

Are eGpu's really viable? What kind of connection do they plug into? I guess I was thinking I'd need an ultra high end laptop just to take advantage of that.

My situation is that I have a small house and slow internet, thus having a laptop I can take to faster internet and also play on the couch (without needing the tv) would be very convenient. I know the xbox series S would be far cheaper and perhaps comparable, it is part of what keeps me from pulling the trigger and buying a laptop.

Right now I've got a ps4 pro and a switch.. and I also have a slow laptop (intel HD graphics) that runs older games like dragon age origins/morrowind/neverwinter nights/etc, which I do play a fair amount. I also don't have a 4k tv and my sole computer (said laptop) is 5 years old, so that enhances the idea of a gaming laptop a little.

Last edited:

SNG32

Yeah, that's why I said that gaming laptops are cool. Mine has a 1060 6gb and could play most multiplats better than on console. It was also very cool being able to plug it to the TV with no effort at all or carrying it to lan parties and such.

But someday you have to upgrade, and then you'll need a new PC instead of just some parts.

That's true you do. But if you do majority of gaming on console like me then to spend the money on a stationary desktop for gaming is a waste. A laptop I bring everywhere so I can game at anytime wherever there's a plug and light gaming on battery. As well as do stuff for my business. I get it for some people my approach doesn't make sense but hey different strokes for different folks.

Black_Stride

Probably a Laptop 3060ti/3070.

Please note: Despite what Nvidia wants you to think, the Laptop x60, x70 and x80 GPU's are significantly weaker than their desktop equivalents.

A Laptop 2080S = Desktop 2070.

1080p60?

Pretty much any of the RTX chips would be able to handle XSX games.
Consider they run at 1440+.
Going down to 1080p shouldnt stress even the mobile GPUs anywhere near as much as trying to game at 1440 or 4K.

Are eGpu's really viable? What kind of connection do they plug into? I guess I was thinking I'd need an ultra high end laptop just to take advantage of that.

My situation is that I have a small house and slow internet, thus having a laptop I can take to faster internet and also play on the couch (without needing the tv) would be very convenient. I know the xbox series S would be far cheaper and perhaps comparable, it is part of what keeps me from pulling the trigger and buying a laptop.

Right now I've got a ps4 pro and a switch.. and I also have a slow laptop (intel HD graphics) that runs older games like dragon age origins/morrowind/neverwinter nights/etc, which I do play a fair amount. I also don't have a 4k tv and my sole computer (said laptop) is 5 years old, so that enhances the idea of a gaming laptop a little.
That used to be the case because intel owned thunderbolt but it's an open standard now, merged with USB - might be called USB 4 (40 Gbps) on some non-intel hardware. Also on the intel side of things, there needed to be an external chip to make it happen so it was an extra you paid more to have, instead of common. From Intel 10th generation on, support is integrated on every intel computer, the manufacturer can still omit but there's no reason it can't be offered at discernible cost to the consumer.

That computer you linked to has eGPU/thunderbolt 3 support so technically, if the GPU was to be insufficient later there's nothing stopping you from going that route.

+ Advantages: You're offsetting the source of heat out of the laptop, increasing it's lifespan (and ultimately wear noise of the fans), desktop variants are cheaper, often have more VRAM and are faster, plus and you can upgrade that GPU any time you see fit with a stock/full sized one - and you can sell the older one recouping some of the costs.

- Disadvantages: Not a portable gaming experience, bigger power draw at the end of the day, and cases for e-gpu are more expensive than they should, with Thunderbolt becoming a free standard that might hopefully change but as of now you're looking at spending $200 just for on the damn case/adapter.

If eGPU is within your budget (and an obvious step for you), I'd suggest hunting an 8 core cpu laptop with thunderbolt 3 instead of the current spec you're going for. But I've got to say that that machine you linked to is well balanced for 2021 and for it's price, so what I am saying might just be something to consider - I don't think you're doing a bad deal if you go for it..

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
All eGPUs using Thunderbolt 3/4 may become severely limited once games start being more dependent on constant I/O streaming.
Eventually, the eGPU market will need to address that, but so far it hasn't.

1080p60?

Pretty much any of the RTX chips would be able to handle XSX games.
Consider they run at 1440+.
Going down to 1080p shouldnt stress even the mobile GPUs anywhere near as much as trying to game at 1440 or 4K.
I mean they'd work just fine, but he seems to be asking for equivalent performance.

DESTROYA

You would need a Thunderbolt connection and a high end CPU .
Not really unless the laptops has TB3,Thunderbolt 3 can handle up to 40 gigabits per second of bandwidth.
From what I’ve seen you generally get around 15%-30% performance loss in most games when using a eGPU.
So basically you buy and expensive EGPU enclosure and then have to buy a expensive desktop GPU and lets say you get a RTX 2080 using it on your laptop you'll get the performance of a GTX 2060 and maybe 2070 if your lucky.
OP that laptops would suit your needs very well but personally I would wait for a AMD CPU and RTX 3070 laptop when the price falls a bit.
If anything at least look for a RTX 2070S that is about 10%more powerful than a standard RTX 2070.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Expect your battery life to get torched.
Yeah about that there are these things on the wall were you can plug your laptop in for power that just happen to be just about everywhere.
I wouldn’t recommend gaming on battery alone anyway , a lot of laptop gimp performance in that mode

A series X is closest to a 2080 Super (11.15 teraflops) and a PS5 to a 2080 (10.05 teraflops) but going to a Laptop GPU you would want a step higher as console performance will better PC at the same power due to the fact optimisation will be better.

OP that laptops would suit your needs very well but personally I would wait for a AMD CPU and RTX 3070 laptop when the price falls a bit.
I don't know if that'll be common at all:

rumor going around that Intel and Nvidia have conspired to block AMD’s Ryzen Mobile 4000 series from high-end gaming laptops. This information has supposedly been provided by an unnamed OEM, and claims that a secret agreement between Intel and Nvidia specifies that top-end RTX GPUs can only be paired with Intel 10th Generation CPUs. Intel and Nvidia have both denied the allegations.
Source: https://translate.google.com/transl...ow-z-amd-renoir-oraz-geforce-rtx-2070-i-wyzej

Also, RTX 30x0 on desktop have been the real deal in regards to a leap with lower node bigger power draw, but it's looking increasing less so on the mobile scene:

Jumping from a mobile RTX 3080 to a desktop RTX 3080 can net users a 50 to 60 percent gain in raw graphics power compared to just 10 to 15 percent between the mobile RTX 2080 to desktop RTX 2080. (...)

Desktop gamers have probably noticed by now that their GeForce RTX 3080 graphics cards have significantly higher power ratings than their older RTX 2080 cards by about 40 percent (320 W vs. 225 W) (...)

On laptops, TGP ratings have hit a brick wall. The mobile RTX 2080 is rated for only 150 W maximum and so is the latest mobile RTX 3080 meaning the new mobile Ampere series must run under similar power constraints as the older mobile Turing series.

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-m...RTX-3080-What-the-hell-happened.519743.0.html

You can see some benchmarks on that page as well, against the mobile RTX 2080, it's not as big of a leap as usual/expected.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

I mean they'd work just fine, but he seems to be asking for equivalent performance.

What do you mean?
You think an RTX2060 couldnt run console settings in any game at 1080p60?

A series X is closest to a 2080 Super (11.15 teraflops) and a PS5 to a 2080 (10.05 teraflops) but going to a Laptop GPU you would want a step higher as console performance will better PC at the same power due to the fact optimisation will be better.

Hes playing at 1080p no need to go that high because the consoles are running at higher resolutions.
And console settings will be below Ultra before you post any benchmarks.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What resolution does a high level laptop even max out at? You might not need power as high if the laptop being considered doesn't even hit 4k.

sunnysideup

Banned
Dont listen to pc fanboys. Ive come to the conclusion that they are all delusional. There are a few sane ones. Make no mistake.

Gaming laptops are an absolute terrible idea. Like someone else said. They are a fucking scam. They are terrible at running games and even worse as laptops since they are heavy, loud and become hot and have no battery life. They are not good at anything. A real 2080 wont let you run next gen games like ps5 or xsx. And a laptop version certainly wont do so.This is straight up bollocks.

I have an 4 year old gaming laptop. With a 1050ti in it. It was good when it was released. Vastly more powerful than stock ps4. It runs games like dogshit.

• LOL
Reactions: amc

TheContact

Whatever price you paid on your laptop you get a better desktop just saying

but you can't take your computer everywhere so you pay for the portability. it's hardly a "scam" because you don't value portability. i don't think a laptop is ever a good idea for a stationary dedicating gaming machine, but they are awesome to have as supplemental gaming machines. last night i was lying down in bed playing some games before i went to bed--i couldn't do that on my desktop. and whenever people say "laptops are so much more expensive" first of all it depends on what you're buying (some have more value than others) and keep in mind, the screen is "included" in the price of a laptop; i say that because i see people make comparison charts of the cost of a desktop computer and a laptop computer, but they never include the screen or a keyboard.

Xyphie

Source: https://translate.google.com/transl...ow-z-amd-renoir-oraz-geforce-rtx-2070-i-wyzej

Also, RTX 30x0 on desktop have been the real deal in regards to a leap with lower node bigger power draw, but it's looking increasing less so on the mobile scene:

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-m...RTX-3080-What-the-hell-happened.519743.0.html

You can see some benchmarks on that page as well, against the mobile RTX 2080, it's not as big of a leap as usual/expected.

3080 Mobile and 3080 Desktop aren't even the same GPU, so it's not a very good comparison. 3080 Mobile is basically a higher binned 3070 (48SM instead of 46SM).

DESTROYA

This is just one laptop of many that will come with AMD CPU’s

Never said it was common but there are more and more OEM’s going with AMD even custom builds like Eluktronics, most of these are available with a AMD CPU.

Also never said mobile series was series was a huge improvement but it is a improvement nonetheless and was just stating my opinion like the OP was asking.

EDIT:

Also buy what suits you best, if you need a laptop for gaming get whatever you want , it’s your money so spend it the way you like.
All these gaming laptop haters are just spouting nonsense and lame excuses.
Saying getting a desktop is useless when you need a laptop for school or work and you need a powerful mobile device when even non-gamers buy gaming laptops like professionals doing things such as video editing or CAD (computer assisted design) or similar workloads, and even they will be picking from the specific subset of gaming laptops that have features that pertain to them, such as a color accurate display or a powerful GPU.

Last edited:

SNG32

Dont listen to pc fanboys. Ive come to the conclusion that they are all delusional. There are a few sane ones. Make no mistake.

Gaming laptops are an absolute terrible idea. Like someone else said. They are a fucking scam. They are terrible at running games and even worse as laptops since they are heavy, loud and become hot and have no battery life. They are not good at anything. A real 2080 wont let you run next gen games like ps5 or xsx. And a laptop version certainly wont do so.This is straight up bollocks.

I have an 4 year old gaming laptop. With a 1050ti in it. It was good when it was released. Vastly more powerful than stock ps4. It runs games like dogshit.

A 1050ti is trash on a laptop and in no means highend. When it comes to laptop gpus you want to atleast be at a 60 series or 70 series. A 2080 has ray tracing ps5 and series x don't even have those capabilities properly yet. Also a 1050ti isn't that much powerful then ps4. A have a 1070 laptop and it can run cyperpunk at ultra no ray tracing above 30 fps which is what ps5 and series x are running at high settings.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
A 1050ti is trash on a laptop and in no means highend. When it comes to laptop gpus you want to atleast be at a 60 series or 70 series. A 2080 has ray tracing ps5 and series x don't even have those capabilities properly yet. Also a 1050ti isn't that much powerful then ps4. A have a 1070 laptop and it can run cyperpunk at ultra above 30 fps which is what ps5 and series x are running at high settings.
did you miss the part where its 4 years old?

Cyberpunk does not have an official release on next gen consoles.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Laptops are trash, unless you actually require it to be a mobile platform.
If space is an issue than even a small form factor pc will give you vastly more performance for an equal price.

SNG32

did you miss the part where its 4 years old?

Cyberpunk does not have an official release on next gen consoles.

When it does get a release you will probably get 60fps 1080p at high or medium settings and 30 fps with some bullshit raytracing at high to somewhat ultra.

Top Bottom