• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What laptop graphics card would be comparable to an xbox series X?

Never said it was common but there are more and more OEM’s going with AMD even custom builds like Eluktronics, most of these are available with a AMD CPU.

(...)

Also never said mobile series was series was a huge improvement but it is a improvement nonetheless and was just stating my opinion like the OP was asking.
I wasn't trying to say you did say either of those things :) I was simply saying that it could be way easier to find what OP wants with Intel CPU's.

In regards to RTX 30x0 mobile variants, as you say, there is an improvement in IPC nonetheless, but the knowledge that it is not as big of a leap as it was on desktop makes it easier to grab a RTX 2070/2080 mobile deal now.
3080 Mobile and 3080 Desktop aren't even the same GPU, so it's not a very good comparison. 3080 Mobile is basically a higher binned 3070 (48SM instead of 46SM).
That makes sense. When you're dealing with a power limit a bigger chip would mean lower clocks.

But regardless of chip branding, it still means performance from this generation will not be as high comparatively. So waiting for it might not be the best move, if there are Laptop PC's with 2070 or 2080 mobile parts on sale.

Last edited:

SNG32

is it tho? oh wait. no, it's not. many folks have already done the breakdown on both new consoles saying they're on par/sometimes faster than 2080 supers.

You do know that the new consoles take more advantage from zen 2 cpu more so then the gpu. You have to take that into consideration. If we are going GPU to GPU power the 2080 Super shits on them.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

In regards to RTX 30x0 mobile variants, as you say, there is an improvement in IPC nonetheless, but the knowledge that it is not as big of a leap as it was on desktop makes it easier to grab a RTX 2070/2080 mobile deal now.
Another reason I suggested OP to wait for sales or the RTX 3000 series laptops.
My point being is in a few months from now we will see more and more deals and I always try to get current gen hardware to make it more future proof even though in the laptop market that changes quick. If the OP can wait that is.
I currently use a 2070 laptop and I agree the 3000 series are not that big a upgrade over the 2000 series and feel no need to upgrade but they still have a performance bump and if I was buying a new laptop it would be for more upgrade for DLSS 2.0

Last edited:
Since I'm a fan of western RPGs I've determined that I need an Xbox or a new PC. I'd prefer a laptop and I'm wondering if a RTX 2070 (mobile of course) would be enough to run everything an Xbox series X could, at 1080p/60fps. I'm specifically looking to play elder scrolls 6 and baldurs gate 3.

I'm looking at something like this, although a 15 inch screen would be fine:
https://www.newegg.com/rog-strix-g-...w-es74-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235461

If that's not enough I'll probably wait for a laptop with a 3070 to fall in price, I'm not willing to pay more than $1,500 and they're a bit above 2k right now.

Wait a bit and get a lappy with at least a 3060.

I'm gonna pick up an Asus ROG Zeph system with the Ryzen 5800/RTX 3060 sometime this year.

Unless the shitty laptop melts itself before any developers actually take advantage of it in mass volume. A mobile 2070 isn't gonna future proof shit all.
Have an old gaming laptop of 10 years and it still runs great. Most of the new gaming laptops (especially Asus) also have liquid metal thermal paste.

And just check reviews, gaming laptops are great imo. Unless you want to game on 4k resolution.

DESTROYA

Unless the shitty laptop melts itself before any developers actually take advantage of it in mass volume. A mobile 2070 isn't gonna future proof shit all.
This is a ignorant post , desktops can overheat as easily laptops if you don’t know what your doing or do research in what your buying.
If you do a bit of homework laptops made today run much cooler than older gen laptops.

Daymos

After a week of looking at specs and prices I'm just not buying anything now. Maybe black friday.

Basically I determined that I would need to put down at least $800 for a baseline gaming laptop (right at the moment), and I just can't justify it when (thread title) an xbox is $500. When my current computer dies my wife is going to insist we buy something though, that's when I'll be forced to pull the trigger here one way or another. I'll revisit the laptop idea and start being frustrated about the price of a desktop as well then, it won't be console vs pc anymore.

Thanks for all the info! Lots to think about. I'm not buying an xbox right now either, not that I could find one if I wanted to.

yamaci17

PC and consoles are not comparable enough...

PS4, in paper, was tought to be near 750ti-760 in terms of power. Yet, it ran RDR 2 at rock solid 30 fps with ultra textures and good enough graphical settings at native 1080p.

750ti though? 720p, everything is fully lowest and barely 25-30 fps. That means, PS4 managed to catch up with gtx 770-780 in certain AAA games after 2017.

So, Series X might look like it's near RTX 2080 today, but I'm sure 3-4 years later, it will probs surpass 2080 and perform between 3070-3080.

Not to mention, desktop CPUs had the pleasure of running games that were designed to run for 1.6 ghz-2.2 ghz tablet chips. Now developers will target 3.5 GHz Zen 2 cores. Who knows what kind of requirement increase will happen in near future... So CPU wise, i cannot say if any modern cpu is future proof or not.

I think, in general, it's really pointless and near impossible to future proof PC parts.

---

Besides, 1080p with DLSS is a horrible thought. DLSS works its magic when there's more pixel to work on, it works excellent on 4k, and works mediocre on 1440p. But at 1080p, even the quality mode will net you a blurry, soft image.

Remember that if you target 60 FPS, Series X is already a 1200-1440p 60 fps machine, and in 2 years, it will be 1080p-1200p 60 FPS and 1620-1800p 30 FPS. Developers do not care about native resolutions at this point, and they will gladly trade optimization headroom/graphical fidelity at the sake of resolution (which I'm not against, I can't complain).

So, I'd say try to find a mobile 3070...

The ONLY thing that sucks about gaming laptops is the noise of the fans when gaming.

no mention of the 1 hour of battery life when actually playing a current game?

i had an asus strix gaming laptop with a 7700hq/1070. it was heavy as a bag of bricks, even just for general web browsing the battery life was like 3 hours with an undervolt. playing something graphically demanding got you ~1 hour of battery. the ergonomics/touchpad are horrible. i bought it it to use when i travelled for work (frequently), but it was such a hassle to actually use the thing that i never even packed it beyond the first 2 trips and got a surface pro instead

they just arent very practical. you get the worst of both worlds

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

i had an asus strix gaming laptop with a 7700hq/1070. it was heavy as a bag of bricks, even just for general web browsing the battery life was like 3 hours with an undervolt. playing something graphically demanding got you ~1 hour of battery. the ergonomics/touchpad are horrible. i bought it it to use when i travelled for work (frequently), but it was such a hassle to actually use the thing that i never even packed it beyond the first 2 trips and got a surface pro instead

Yeah but why get a gaming laptop for work. Perhaps if you need the horse power for video editing or something.

I bought a Ryzen 7 with on board videocard nearly 2 years ago. Its a great laptop, its silent, fast, good battery life and excellent multitasker (16gb RAM) and doesn't weigh a ton. Now that I solely work from home, I've got a QHD monitor hooked up to it. Laptops are shit though, I prefer a tablet for reading and a desktop for working and gaming. They're simply handy if you're on the road and need to get some things done.

Yeah when gaming you need to be wired, I thought that was obvious for people who buy a gaming laptop...

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
All eGPUs using Thunderbolt 3/4 may become severely limited once games start being more dependent on constant I/O streaming.
Eventually, the eGPU market will need to address that, but so far it hasn't.

Comparing benchmarks between a gpu on a desktop and that same gpu running on a laptop through tb3 egpu, you lose like 30% performance.

That's a tad much if you ask me. It's a shame Intel dumped thunderbolt, I was hoping we'd get a tb4 to use those pci 4 lanes but alas...

Yeah but why get a gaming laptop for work. Perhaps if you need the horse power for video editing or something.

I bought a Ryzen 7 with on board videocard nearly 2 years ago. Its a great laptop, its silent, fast, good battery life and excellent multitasker (16gb RAM) and doesn't weigh a ton. Now that I solely work from home, I've got a QHD monitor hooked up to it. Laptops are shit though, I prefer a tablet for reading and a desktop for working and gaming. They're simply handy if you're on the road and need to get some things done.

it wasnt for work. it was for personal use on work trips (gaming, browsing, etc...)

Reindeer

3070 Max P (135W) is equivalent to 2080 Desktop, that should be in the ballpark of Series X performance. Some folks here mentioned 2070 but that's simply not true, mobile 2070 is only as good as Desktop 2060. If you take console optimisation into account then you may even need 3080 (150W) to compete long term.

Last edited by a moderator:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Wait a bit and get a lappy with at least a 3060.

I'm gonna pick up an Asus ROG Zeph system with the Ryzen 5800/RTX 3060 sometime this year.

As a 2020 G15 owner (sort of) I would advise against this, the ssue is that the Zeph line uses low wattage discreet GPU's with the exception of the G17 (which don't use a 3060 so I know its not one of those)

This means that for example the 2020 model of the TUF with a 1660Ti will massively outperform the Zeph with a 3060 because its using 120wats instead of the 65-85 of the lower power 3060 the zeph uses.

There is also the huge issue of the Zeph line is poor implementation of the laptop optimus system, essentially unless you are using video out to an external monitor to bypass the integrated GPU you lose around anouther 20%-30% performance, as the discreet GPU has to pass through the integrated GPU (which is used to save battery in mobile mode when not gaming) and suffers from the restrictions placed on this lower end hardware before hitting its own screen. This was not fixed in the 2021 line up despite rival brands having a separate line to run strait to screen bypassing the integrated GPU to avoid this performance cost.

this is coming from someone who bought his mum a G15 knowing this because she wanted to use it for photoshop rather than gaming, just so you know.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Quick question guys I have a need for a laptop all of a sudden as my old one seems to be messing up. I never owned a gaming laptop before but I think I may just get one as I seen an offer for a 3070 Lenovo Legion 5 going for £1k. I was wondering if it's worth holding out for laptop next year and any rumours of what performance we can expect for next generation laptops. Or shall I just go for this.

Edit
Ignore my post, seems like my old laptop is working just doesn't work without it being attached to the AC which isn't a big deal for me.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Series X Rdna2 seems like about 6600XT-6700XT ? Which is about desktop 3060-3060 Ti , which is about mobile 3070 or 2080s ? Just some rough estimation here it’s really hard to equate .

OP you would save so much more money in buying the Series X instead and wait until desktop GPU become affordable again .

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
How feasible is a 3070 gpu laptop paired with a 5800h CPU for playing on a 4K TV.

In looking at Legion 5 Pro. But let's say if I want to plug connect it to my TV on some occasions would it be powerful enough to pump out 4K graphics.

How feasible is a 3070 gpu laptop paired with a 5800h CPU for playing on a 4K TV.

In looking at Legion 5 Pro. But let's say if I want to plug connect it to my TV on some occasions would it be powerful enough to pump out 4K graphics.
I imagine it could do 4K, my 2070 mobile hits well over 60fps at 1080p in all games at mostly max settings. You would at least get decent 1440p performance from it which for me would be good enough on a 4K screen.

I imagine it could do 4K, my 2070 mobile hits well over 60fps at 1080p in all games at mostly max settings. You would at least get decent 1440p performance from it which for me would be good enough on a 4K screen.
4K 60fps is 4x more demanding than 1080p 60fps. yeah you could probably manage 1440p. it'd look a bit blurry on a 4K screen but if you have DLSS you would be fine. i wouldn't be trying to do native 4K on a laptop right now though. just because a laptop has a 3070 gpu doesn't mean it's equal to a 3070 desktop GPU (same goes for CPUs and even RAM). Laptops have heavily restricted cooling and power limits which doesn't suit 4K at all.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Nice to know so 1440p or games using DLSS on my 4K TV would be good enough.

My main gaming would be on the laptop screen itself but sometimes I'd like the option to bring it down to the big TV so it's nice that it can look decent enough on a 4K TV even if I have to turn setting down, use DLSS, lower frame rate or resolution.

4K 60fps is 4x more demanding than 1080p 60fps. yeah you could probably manage 1440p. it'd look a bit blurry on a 4K screen but if you have DLSS you would be fine. i wouldn't be trying to do native 4K on a laptop right now though. just because a laptop has a 3070 gpu doesn't mean it's equal to a 3070 desktop GPU (same goes for CPUs and even RAM). Laptops have heavily restricted cooling and power limits which doesn't suit 4K at all.
I mean, they didn’t say at what frame rate. It can do 4K, probably not with max settings at 60fps though.

I understand the differences between mobile and desktop GPUs, I spent far too long trying to find a laptop that would work for me. I don’t think I’ll ever get another gaming laptop to be honest, they’re too loud and run hot for my liking.

KAL2006

Banned
Are there any rumours speculation of when we can expect an RTX 40 series laptop. And how much of a performance leap are we expecting? I'm wondering if they can improve performance per watt by much or they going to expect you to run on a way higher wattage.

Xyphie

Are there any rumours speculation of when we can expect an RTX 40 series laptop. And how much of a performance leap are we expecting? I'm wondering if they can improve performance per watt by much or they going to expect you to run on a way higher wattage.

Laptop GPUs are typically unveiled in time for CES, and the first RTX 4000 cards are about a year away so don't expect anything before early 2023.

Don't rely on numbers , life time support what matters, think of it between the one s and gtx 750 which was a lack luster cause it never lasted long enough.

PC and consoles are not comparable enough...

PS4, in paper, was tought to be near 750ti-760 in terms of power. Yet, it ran RDR 2 at rock solid 30 fps with ultra textures and good enough graphical settings at native 1080p.

750ti though? 720p, everything is fully lowest and barely 25-30 fps. That means, PS4 managed to catch up with gtx 770-780 in certain AAA games after 2017.

So, Series X might look like it's near RTX 2080 today, but I'm sure 3-4 years later, it will probs surpass 2080 and perform between 3070-3080.

Not to mention, desktop CPUs had the pleasure of running games that were designed to run for 1.6 ghz-2.2 ghz tablet chips. Now developers will target 3.5 GHz Zen 2 cores. Who knows what kind of requirement increase will happen in near future... So CPU wise, i cannot say if any modern cpu is future proof or not.

I think, in general, it's really pointless and near impossible to future proof PC parts.

---

Besides, 1080p with DLSS is a horrible thought. DLSS works its magic when there's more pixel to work on, it works excellent on 4k, and works mediocre on 1440p. But at 1080p, even the quality mode will net you a blurry, soft image.

Remember that if you target 60 FPS, Series X is already a 1200-1440p 60 fps machine, and in 2 years, it will be 1080p-1200p 60 FPS and 1620-1800p 30 FPS. Developers do not care about native resolutions at this point, and they will gladly trade optimization headroom/graphical fidelity at the sake of resolution (which I'm not against, I can't complain).

So, I'd say try to find a mobile 3070...
PCs are actually past prof , not the other way around , cause today's topic will be silly let's say in the 3 to 4 yrs cause games what dictates the value of your machine unfortunately, not a bunch of tech savvy on the Internet.

• LOL
Reactions: amc
Top Bottom