• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What makes a car "fun" to drive?

Do you want to drive your car without needing to go anywhere? Its probably fun to drive then.

Basically boils down to: feedback, balance, handling, whatever you find pleasurable.

Its definitely not just speed or handling. There are plenty of quick cars that handle well that arent fun to drive.

Ballthyrm

• Unsprung Weight (less is better)
  • Weight (less is better)
  • Torque (higher is better)
  • Driving position (central is better, lower is better)
  • Response time (lower is better) Naturally aspirated > supercharged > turbocharged
  • Engine Position (mid-engine is better)
  • Weight distribution Front to Back (Correct balance between traction to the wheels and as close as possible to 50-50)
  • Weight distribution Outer to inner (get the weight as close to the center as possible), make the car easier to turn because of moment of inertia.
  • Handbrake (manual is better)
  • Gear shifts (manual is better)
  • Acceleration (higher is better)

Basically anything that's easy to accelerate, decelerate and turn.

lem0n

The short and sweet of it is level of involvement. A bit of a blanket statement, but typically, the more engaging and raw a driving experience, the more fun it is. It's why cars like the MX-5 and Lotus Elise are known to be about as fun as it gets on four wheels. They're essence of driving.

Dural

• Unsprung Weight (less is better)
  • Weight (less is better)
  • Torque (higher is better)
  • Driving position (central is better, lower is better)
  • Response time (lower is better) Naturally aspirated > supercharged > turbocharged
  • Engine Position (mid-engine is better)
  • Weight distribution Front to Back (Correct balance between traction to the wheels and as close as possible to 50-50)
  • Weight distribution Outer to inner (get the weight as close to the center as possible), make the car easier to turn because of moment of inertia.
  • Handbrake (manual is better)
  • Gear shifts (manual is better)
  • Acceleration (higher is better)

Basically anything that's easy to accelerate, decelerate and turn.

That's what's so great about the RX-8, it hits almost all those points other than the torque and acceleration. The rotary engine has a lower center of gravity and because of how small it is it sits behind the front axle, effectively making it mid engine. Weight distribution is also 50/50 with the driver. It just sucks that I really can't do anything with it to get more power, Mazda pretty much tuned it from the factory for max performance naturally aspirated. There is a turbo kit but people have had a lot of issues with it and it didn't really increase the power that much.

Raven117

Gold Member
It means different things to different people; my brother has a lifted jeep wrangler that I had to drive last month because he need to use my SUV and I thought it was horrible to drive while he loves it
I'm sorry you don't like fun. Especially if it was a manual. :D

Top off, stick shift jeeps are very fun. So are quick little Mazda RXs, and roadsters. The big sports cars can be fun, but really, it takes awhile to fully understand them and not wrap it around a tree.

Dural

I'm sorry you don't like fun. Especially if it was a manual. :D

Top off, stick shift jeeps are very fun. So are quick little Mazda RXs, and roadsters. The big sports cars can be fun, but really, it takes awhile to fully understand them and not wrap it around a tree.

It's winter, was like 5 degrees outside and a soft top, and the damn thing was all over the road. I'm sure it could be fun in the summer with the top down or off-roading, but for a daily driver a lifted jeep with knobby off road tires drives like shit.

Raven117

Gold Member
It's winter, was like 5 degrees outside and a soft top, and the damn thing was all over the road. I'm sure it could be fun in the summer with the top down or off-roading, but for a daily driver a lifted jeep with knobby off road tires drives like shit.
Yeah, well that is not fun.

I live in the South, and only have all-terrains on mine. Its almost always top off driving weather and mine stays straight on the road. Thats fun right there.

Last edited:

Outlier

It's about what the car is doing, in reference to what you are trying to achieve.

For example: You want the car to drift at a certain angle, but you'll only consistently enjoy it if achieves or exceeds the angle.

It's always about some level of uncertainty, in how accurate the results will be.

Always more fun to win by an inch, versus a mile.

UnNamed

Banned
Cars are fun to drive for the people who have fun to drive cars.
Are videogames fun to play to people who don't care about videogames?

Top Bottom