• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Mogwai album would you recommend as a first listen?

Tschumi

Directed at Mogwai fans, of course.

I've got the ear of a reaction dude on the tube. He's no big deal and i know it's super lame, but he's very minimalist in his reactions and comments and in general it's just another way to listen to your favourite songs as if for the first time. Anyway i said I'd recommend him a Mogwai album in the new year and I wouldn't want to pick something that only resonates with me.

The standard suggestion is Young Team, of course, but I've a few reasons to look to other albums:

- want to be less obvious
- other albums have a more lush sound, which isn't to say Young Team doesn't sound fiah, but this person I'll recommend the album to seems to really appreciate good mixing etc and they've certainly developed/evolved their chops over the years.
- consistency, I dunno i just don't like the YT version of Summer.

Young Team is in my top few Mogwai albums, rest assured.

Candidates:
Come On Die Young (jp version)
I just want him to listen to Christmas Steps. But for real the rest is awesome, too.

The Hawk is Howling (jp version)
I know these 00s albums aren't unanimously loved, but this album has some absolute tunes like Thank You Space Expert, Stupid Prick Gets Chased By Police And Loses His Slut Girlfriend, Devil Rides (ofc) and a bunch of the other tracks.

Mr Beast
Same deal as Hawk, though in Glasgow Mega Snake there's guaranteed headbanging.

Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
This is actually my favourite Mogwai album atm, I just love it and think Rano Pano would get full marks. But then again it is a more focused late(r) album with fewer examples of their classic sound.

Government Commissions
I just love this live album, possibly more than any other of their albums, amazing songs with amazing interpretations , i dunno though does it count? Superheroes of BMX is low key legendary.

Nobody's right or wrong, let's just geek out on Mogwai!

Kev Kev

One of my favorite music albums ever is Atomic by Mogwai.

I hadn’t listened to them since I was a teen and one night when we were doing shrooms I realized I had been listening to the most beautiful music I’d ever heard. I didn’t pick it tho, I just told me my buddy to search for trippy music on Spotify. Track after track was just one amazing experience after another. It would be inspiring, then haunting, then intense, and then beautiful and deep. The album took me on a journey in my mind tbh. It was the best trip I’ve ever had and one of the best musical experiences I ever had.

Finally, I asked my buddy who the band was and he said “Uuuhh some band named Mogwai.” And I was like “What!? No way I haven’t listened to them in over 15 years!”. It blew my mind, but I was also on shrooms so it didn’t take much lol, but it was such a nice surprise to be reintroduced to such a lovely band.

Sad to say I haven’t got much back into their other material, but I really need to dive back in one of these days. Naturally, my only suggestion can be Atomic, at the moment, even tho it’s not one of your candidates.

Here are a few of my favorites from the album…

DelireMan7

I am not an absolute fan of Mogwai (I don't know all their albums) but I really like what they doing.

My personal favorite is Mr. Beast (with the amazing "We're No Here"). Nice mix of atmospheric and more "punchy" tracks.

The Hawk is Howling is very good album. Can't go wrong with it.

I don't remember every tracks of Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will but Music for a forgotten future is one of my favorite track.

Not recommended for a first album, but I love the soundtrack of "Les revenants" (this show is my all time favorite). The soundtrack fits so well the scenes and there is such beautiful tracks on it ("Portugal" being my favorite with "We're No Here" but this one was not made for the TV show and comes from Mr. Beast)

Tschumi

One of my favorite music albums ever is Atomic by Mogwai.

I hadn’t listened to them since I was a teen and one night when we were doing shrooms I realized I had been listening to the most beautiful music I’d ever heard. I didn’t pick it tho, I just told me my buddy to search for trippy music on Spotify. Track after track was just one amazing experience after another. It would be inspiring, then haunting, then intense, and then beautiful and deep. The album took me on a journey in my mind tbh. It was the best trip I’ve ever had and one of the best musical experiences I ever had.

Finally, I asked my buddy who the band was and he said “Uuuhh some band named Mogwai.” And I was like “What!? No way I haven’t listened to them in over 15 years!”. It blew my mind, but I was also on shrooms so it didn’t take much lol, but it was such a nice surprise to be reintroduced to such a lovely band.

Sad to say I haven’t got much back into their other material, but I really need to dive back in one of these days. Naturally, my only suggestion can be Atomic, at the moment, even tho it’s not one of your candidates.

Here are a few of my favorites from the album…

My wife loves Mogwai too, she's from Japan and when we had first met but were not yet dating i woo'd get with "i chose horses", a track with Japanese lyrics.. anyway, we spent a few years apart but she kept listening to Mogwai, and actually she listened to Les Revenants and Atomic way more than me!

Actually I've kind of avoided then because i think they kind of belong to her, but i recognised your linked songs from the few times she showed them to me! Awesome.

You might like this, bonus track from the Japanese release of this album

I am not an absolute fan of Mogwai (I don't know all their albums) but I really like what they doing.

My personal favorite is Mr. Beast (with the amazing "We're No Here"). Nice mix of atmospheric and more "punchy" tracks.

The Hawk is Howling is very good album. Can't go wrong with it.

I don't remember every tracks of Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will but Music for a forgotten future is one of my favorite track.

Not recommended for a first album, but I love the soundtrack of "Les revenants" (this show is my all time favorite). The soundtrack fits so well the scenes and there is such beautiful tracks on it ("Portugal" being my favorite with "We're No Here" but this one was not made for the TV show and comes from Mr. Beast)
You should listen to hardcore ! It's great :)

Like i said before les revenants is one of their albums that i kind of avoid listening to, because I'm my mind they kind of belong to my wife lol, but I'll give them a listen on your recommendation :)

Were no here is great, i recommend Mogwai Fear Satan and Like Herod if you want the OG heavy-as-fuck mogwai songs, but i would say that Christmas Steps is a valid alternative...... If you haven't heard them

Kev Kev

You might like this, bonus track from the Japanese release of this album

i remember this one!! its one of the songs that got me into mogwai back in the day! i remember sitting in my car, getting high and looking out the sun roof at the stars, with this song playing in the background. i must have been about 16 at the time.

totally forgot about it, what a trip! thanks for sharing

QSD

Candidates:
Come On Die Young (jp version)
I just want him to listen to Christmas Steps. But for real the rest is awesome, too.

Wow, Xmas Steps is one of my favorites too... but I only know it from the same-titled ep. Which also has Christmas Song, which is similarly beautiful.

Tschumi

Happy songs for happy people. Still kicking it today. Great record. Very ambient and soothing.
It's damn good, for sure, Golden Porsche is one of their best in that sub-genre of their music, the rest have a good mix of pop and weight... Defintely in consideration, though I chose CODY over it in my original post...

Top Bottom