• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What most excited you about Starfield reveal?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
By the looks of it, the core game will probably be similar to other RPGs (especially Bethesda ones). At least that's what I'm guessing. Explore, kill baddies, fetch quests, clear out a moon outpost etc.... I highly doubt the 1000 planets will all be worth checking out unless they implement awesome random map environments or hand curated content.

You never know. 500 planets may be literally one cave or outpost to explore. So instead of FO or ES games where there's 200 locations to explore on a map, Starfield has 1000 locations spread out across 1000 planets. Who knows. You might be spending time space traveling to one planet to kill aliens, then 15 minutes later zoom to another planet to fetch a moon rock, then 15 minutes later go to another planet to check the humidity on a Star Trek tricorder. That may literally be 3 planets.

The biggest points I saw were base building, spaceship construction and outer space dog fights. I'm not into space games, so to me these are new kinds of gameplay.

93xfan

Banned
Just about everything. Exploring all these varied sci-fi cities, discovering new creatures (especially giant ones), creating guns, making ships, getting sucked into various mini stories, etc…

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I honestly didn't expect the spaceship fights and ship customization.

I'm a Skyrim & Fallout whore who's painfully aware of Bethesda's shortcomings and false promises but I'll be there Day one.

Like your girlfriend you just caught cheating on you for the 5th time and you just say " Ah SHIT baby WHY? Goddammit I still love you".

I honestly didn't expect the spaceship fights and ship customization.

I'm a Skyrim & Fallout whore who's painfully aware of Bethesda's shortcomings and false promises but I'll be there Day one.

Like your girlfriend you just caught cheating on you for the 5th time and you just say " Ah SHIT baby WHY? Goddammit I still love you".

Not worried about that personally. I've never even played vanilla Skyrim, nor vanilla F4. The modding community will turn this into a legendary game if it isn't one already.

TVexperto

i think that we can hire own NPCs and also customize our ship completely, i always wanted to do that in star citizen and now they only sell ugly ship skins for 40 bucks

Kssio_Aug

Just excited I get to make a dick shaped space ship and fly around in it
Austin Powers Rocket GIF

Gandih42

The immersive feeling of being set free in the Bethesda TM open world RPG world. Seriously, I really like The Outer Worlds but that didn't quite scratch the same itch.

Land on a planet, trudge over to something on the horizon, find some seemingly abandoned landmark, explore it and experience a cool little story while getting resources and exp. I really really really hope this game gives off that same feeling as their TES and FO games.

tmlDan

I honestly am against space games most of the time, they're usually bloated and boring.

BUT for starfield specifically, im excited for the ship building, having crewmates and building your own base. It would be nice if there was co-op added to the game given its scale but i know that's not realistic?

Having a ton of planets is pretty boring over time, im still on the side that they should have had less

coffinbirth

2XjDkAd.gif
You gotta be really young and not have been through all this shit before....numerous times

Please tell me that you are !
Why, do old fucks have crystal balls? I've heard they're long and gross, but they can see the future?

Here's the thing. you don't have any clue what systems are in place in this game whatsoever...
Elder Scrolls Online and No Mans Sky both have procedurally generated content, both have hundreds if not thousands of hours of game to enjoy, and are loved and played by millions of people. I'm simply hoping that precedent extends to Starfield.

So, please tell me, oh wise one, how juvenile must one be to not think that's a possibility?

I'm looking forward to seamless travel from planet surface to space. Starting a battle in space to have my enemy ship crash to the surface and follow them and continue the gunfight on foot. No loading! It's all seamless. Next gen type of shit
Any of that confirmed or just dreaming out loud?

skit_data

I like the aesthetic a lot, that dirty semi retrofuturistic sci-fi feel. I’ll wait to see how it plays, if it’s more Elder Scrolls than it is Fallout in terms of gameplay it’s probably not really my cup of tea. But it looks promising no doubt about it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Building my own star base, having NPCs run it then build my own ships and with the interview today I found out I can steal other ships

Fuck Yeah Yes GIF by Brittlestar

saintjules

The ability to switch from 1st to 3rd person is pretty nice. Seems like there's a lot to do.

Lots of jank during the reveal. I hope they don't put a proper 2023 release date without making sure it's 100%. Otherwise it will be one of the biggest fails next year.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Any of that confirmed or just dreaming out loud?
I don't think it's confirmed, but that would be a HUGE letdown if there was not seamless travel from space to the planet. Didn't Outer Wilds do that? And that's an indie game. No reason we should be seeing loading screens for a AAAA game like Starfield.

anthraticus

Banned
Why, do old fucks have crystal balls? I've heard they're long and gross, but they can see the future?

Here's the thing. you don't have any clue what systems are in place in this game whatsoever...
Elder Scrolls Online and No Mans Sky both have procedurally generated content, both have hundreds if not thousands of hours of game to enjoy, and are loved and played by millions of people. I'm simply hoping that precedent extends to Starfield.

So, please tell me, oh wise one, how juvenile must one be to not think that's a possibility?
Do some reading... (this might have been from before you were born)

I know everybody likes to kill Todd all the time with the tell me lies vids and whatnot, but in reality he's just a squeaky-voiced manlet beholden to his corporate overlords. He's guilty only of the same foolishness the rest of his team indulges in...outlandish gushing about cool-sounding features that they imagine can be implemented in their games, but then it turns out they can't be (or are implemented in a much more limited and disappointing fashion, like Radiant AI), because as developers they're too incompetent to bring their ideas from the drawing board to people's computer screens. I genuinely believe they don't mean to deceive people. They just plain suck.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Do some reading... (this might have been from before you were born)

[/URL]

I know everybody likes to kill Todd all the time with the tell me lies vids and whatnot, but in reality he's just a squeaky-voiced manlet beholden to his corporate overlords. He's guilty only of the same foolishness the rest of his team indulges in...outlandish gushing about cool-sounding features that they imagine can be implemented in their games, but then it turns out they can't be (or are implemented in a much more limited and disappointing fashion, like Radiant AI), because as developers they're too incompetent to bring their ideas from the drawing board to people's computer screens. I genuinely believe they don't mean to deceive people. They just plain suck.
I've been playing Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall, fuck off with the whining man child bullshit.

Ignored.

WitchHunter

Todd Howard traveled to SpaceX to bring 'authenticity' to Starfield​

: DDDDDDD

Oh man, poor CEOs have to bullshit all the time. Why can't a ceo shit on the table, smear it with his slippers and say: bon appetit.

The scale. 1,000 planets across 100 systems.
RLl9XYB.png
And? You gonna visit all of them and perform fellatio on the aliens?

Riky

$MSFT
The sheer scale and choice we're going to be presented with, people are going to play through the game and have a different experience to another player who made different choices.
That's what has always made a Bethesda RPG special and Starfield seems to amplify this.

Kagey K

Banned
Exploration, random encounters and sidequests. Bethesda's sidequests (other than those radiant quests) are generally far better than most games main quests. Flying to and exploring some of the 1000 random planets.

I anticipate losing several months of my life to this game.
Who is going to feel your cats during that time?

Joking aside I just wanted more Mass Effect and it looks like we got it times 1000 here.

I just want to explore and fuck up or fix planets full of all sorts of bullshit.

Imagine letting an NPC live and then after you leave he goes full Hitler on the planet, you think you do something good....

Last edited:

TBiddy

I'm really looking forward to installing, customizing my character and hyping myself up to a point, where I'm absolutely confident that "this" will be the time, where I actually make it through a large ass RPG game that isn't Mass Effect. It won't.

I will play the shit of out it and quit it after 20 hours or so.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Todd Howard traveled to SpaceX to bring 'authenticity' to Starfield​

: DDDDDDD

Oh man, poor CEOs have to bullshit all the time. Why can't a ceo shit on the table, smear it with his slippers and say: bon appetit.

And? You gonna visit all of them and perform fellatio on the aliens?

What a terrible post.

Top Bottom