• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What most excited you about Starfield reveal?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
New lockpick minigame.
When I seen those “digipicks”

Cringe Wince GIF

kyussman

It looks very much like 'Bethesda game in space'........so I feel like I've already played it tbh.....hard to get very excited.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think what's got me most excited is the fact you can still tell its a creation engine game. That means it familiar and moddable, having a future Sci fi setting is a great tool for parts of the modding community to let loose in new ways which would not really fit with Fallout or Elder Scrolls aesthetic, I suspect alot more Ghost in the Shell type stuff being released.

RPSleon

There was so much to be excited for. Space combat, multiple planets but for me you can visit your parents?! Idk why that excites me so much but as a fan of life style gameplay in rpgs that feels like a good immersion building aspect. Whats got you most excited that we learned recently?
Custom ships and base building.

RPSleon

I like vats,it's something different that gives a more rpg feel to the game......I'd be down for it in this game too.
Yeah, im not against it, but they didnt show it. So the shooting without it would have to hold up without vats as a crutch.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The setting, the spaceship and base building/customization, the character creation (glad to see classes making a comeback) and some of the planets looking very cool and/or pretty.

That it's hard sci-fi and not some space fantasy (or at least it looks like that for now). It's rare in movies and almost not existing in AAA games.
It's not that hard sci-fi if you have handwaved FTL engines, gravity plating, energy shields, etc.

The Expanse is about the hardest sci-fi ever put to film, and even it has some wacky shenanigans like 98% efficient fusion drives for their massive torch-ships.

I'm looking forward to seamless travel from planet surface to space. Starting a battle in space to have my enemy ship crash to the surface and follow them and continue the gunfight on foot. No loading! It's all seamless. Next gen type of shit
And thats not gonna happen...

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
It's not that hard sci-fi if you have handwaved FTL engines, gravity plating, energy shields, etc.

The Expanse is about the hardest sci-fi ever put to film, and even it has some wacky shenanigans like 98% efficient fusion drives for their massive torch-ships.
It's not that hard, but when compared with stuff like Mass Effect, Destiny or Warframe it's still basically different genre altogether.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I was thrilled that the space combat looked really solid, and customizable ships will be awesome. Need to see more of the story and exploration aspects.

I like the FTL like thing that might be going on with the ship. Made me realize how much sense a fully 3D FTL game would make.

Last edited:
Having a comfy space exploration game to play that actually has RPG quests in it.

Also I’m sure the modding scene will go wild and be able to use the 1000 planets as a canvas to do whatever they want with. I’m also assuming the Xbox version will get mods too like Skyrim and F4.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think overall the games going to just be fun as hell to play, and quite immersive.

There’s no single thing that has me excited, but rather the entire package.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
That it's hard sci-fi and not some space fantasy (or at least it looks like that for now). It's rare in movies and almost not existing in AAA games.
Just bringing this up, there were alien creatures in the trailer. Not exactly "hard" sci-fi in my opinion. What do you think though? I'm not complaining there are aliens, just wanted to bring up that fact.

Anywho... what I am typically most excited for in Bethesda games is exploring hand crafted worlds and environments. The trailer didn't really show that unfortunately, and the
procedural generation has me tepid. Bethesda have been masters of environmental story telling since Oblivion, so I really hope there is A LOT of that in this game. I know Todd Howard has stated there is, but only time will tell how handcrafted the game feels along mixed in with the extensive amount of procedural generated content.

*edit: just noticed this in the trailer, I'm excited for this trait! STARTER HOME, you start out the game with a small house on a peaceful moon. What a cool idea!
cUv9yZH.jpg

Last edited:
It's not that hard, but when compared with stuff like Mass Effect, Destiny or Warframe it's still basically different genre altogether.
Don't worry the mods will fix that. Lightsabers, cosmic horrors, zero g bikini armor, space elves, star foxes will all be in the the game weeks if not days after release.
That said I do enjoy seeing a more grounded approach.

kuncol02

Banned
Don't worry the mods will fix that. Lightsabers, cosmic horrors, zero g bikini armor, space elves, star foxes will all be in the the game weeks if not days after release.
That said I do enjoy seeing a more grounded approach.
Good thing that mods are optional.

Just bringing this up, there were alien creatures in the trailer. Not exactly "hard" sci-fi in my opinion.
Why addition of alien animals on planet that can sustain life would make it soft sci-fi?

Haggard

Banned
- Mediocre graphics
- bad shooting mechanics
- uninteresting looking base and ship customization/building which was already a snorefest in FO
- 99% procedurally created planets which is another way to say that this is gonna be copy and pastefield for large portions of the environments. Can`t wait for the generated "your base/settlement needs something" quests /s
- space-planet-base distinction via level barriers hints to everything having a very fake sense of scope.

Maybe the story will turn the combination of all the aforementioned mediocre looking aspects into something amazing in the end, I don`t know, maybe, I hope so.
But right now, from what we`ve seen and actually know, there is imho nothing exciting about this. So far this looks like Fallout in space with a lot of generic padding.

Last edited:

Scotty W

I would say I am most excited for its sheer blandness and uninventiveness which means that BoTW will keep the crown for at least another decade. I can only pray no other game ever surpasses it.

Top Bottom