• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What percentage would you guess you play single player games?

How much game time do you spend playing single player focused games?

• Almost all the time. I mostly play single player games

Votes: 221 64.1%
  • I almost always play multi-player games

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • A little bit of this, and a A little bit of that. I mix it up

Votes: 49 14.2%
  • Always multiplayer of some sort!

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I mostly watch others play games. (yes I know people like this)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I always play single player only

Votes: 62 18.0%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
These days I play about 95% solo. To be honest i don't even know why I pay for ps plus because their free games suck too lol. I have the switch and oculus quest 2 but I just prefer single player games these days. Sure the screaming brats and trolls helped steer me away a bit but to be honest I just have a better time playing single player. As a working man I rarely have the chance to connect with a buddy group and play so that plays a small part as well. I just find today's most popular multiplayer games to be ultra repetitive. To each his own but I mostly play single player.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I only play single player and if there is an online component I choose to stay offline.

Gaming is escapism for me and seeing other people move around like idiots jumping up and down doing stupid things completely breaks my immersion. Even worse if I hear them talk or see any text conversations. I really don’t need to hear some alien suddenly talk about framerate drops when I’m in Nexus in No Man’s Sky after I’ve spent parts of my playthrough trying to learn alien languages. Immersion = lost.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I like Online games quite a bit, and the best thing about gaming on PC is how much more freedom you have in online games
that being said my heart's always been on singleplayer and it's the back bone of the industry. If singleplayer dies video games will die as well. Even mobile games which are extremely popular are usually singleplayer affairs with online elements

Gamerguy84

People are way to fucking competitive for me to play online in just about anything.

Spending hours a day playing the game, memorizing maps, memorizing weapon drops, see if they can find a way to cheat, implement as many cheats as possible, is there a special controller they can buy to give them an edge, is there a pay to win system.

While online gaming can be fun too many people "need" to win and will do so any way they can. Fuck multiplayer but that's my opinion.

Naked Lunch

Theres only a handful of modern single player games worth playing anymore (From Software, shmups, ace combat, racing sims, strat rpgs).
I usually just stick to retro classics for my single player fix.

Beyond that I stick to my favorite multiplayer games - those take up the majority of my gaming sessions.

People are way to fucking competitive for me to play online in just about anything.

Spending hours a day playing the game, memorizing maps, memorizing weapon drops, see if they can find a way to cheat, implement as many cheats as possible, is there a special controller they can buy to give them an edge, is there a pay to win system.

While online gaming can be fun too many people "need" to win and will do so any way they can. Fuck multiplayer but that's my opinion.
Its called being competitive. That's the whole point.
Its the equivalent of playing a pickup game of basketball in real life.
A well made multiplayer game will never get old for that reason. Its why people still play Halo MCC or Counter Strike 20+ years later.
Step up your game or gtfo. Playing nothing but the AI of single player games gets old and boring.

MikeM

I play multiplayer when my buddies are on and want to party up. More of a social event when the kids go to bed. Otherwise, single player all day bruh.

Cohetedor

I've done about 5 online races now in gt7, before that, 100% offline single player, mostly because I just got internet at my home faster than 1.5mbps for the first time last fall.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Single Player only I used to not buy games during the PS2 era if they had "online" on the cover felt like I was paying for something I'd never use

fart town usa

Gold Member
I like coop but not something like deathmatch in shooters or MMOs. MMOs are cool but I never played them enough to have a good build.

Single player 99% of the time for me. I've always been that way, I'm not super competitive.

Last edited:
If you play multi you're a fake gamer. In fact I almost want to play multi just to own you for being that (fake gamer)

e: I will admit though I just hate people lol

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Theres only a handful of modern single player games worth playing anymore (From Software, shmups, ace combat, racing sims, strat rpgs).
I usually just stick to retro classics for my single player fix.

Beyond that I stick to my favorite multiplayer games - those take up the majority of my gaming sessions.

Its called being competitive. That's the whole point.
Its the equivalent of playing a pickup game of basketball in real life.
A well made multiplayer game will never get old for that reason. Its why people still play Halo MCC or Counter Strike 20+ years later.
Step up your game or gtfo. Playing nothing but the AI of single player games gets old and boring.
There are levels to being competitive though. I like to enjoy videogames casually and have fun with them. Doing anyone of those things I wrote and it starts to become a bit too involved almost like work. Again it's JMO.

It's why I said people are way to competitive for me to play online in just about anything so I guess I choose GTFO.

Jaybe

I love me single player for the majority of my gaming, but there is the rare multiplayer game that will get me hooked every now and then (rocket league, gears)

Ozzie666

Most played games are multi-player. Most money is in multi-player. This is why game companies are pretty much abandoning single player.

Yet one of the only bright spots for EA in the past 5 years is Jedi Fallen Order, with the sequel highly anticipated. Profit is profit, all these companies are going to go belly up chasing the big pay off, that will never come. They constantly forget there is a lot of low level profits to be had.

The_hunter

Only multiplayer game I play is overwatch, rest is singleplayer.

If I had a gaming pc I would still play Starcraft 2.

It's hard to find a fun multiplayer game with good netcode.

Last edited:
I only play single player games and have no interest at in competitive or co-op multiplayer at all.

The main reason is that I find them extremely repetitive, especially shooters where you just kill people over and over and over again on the same batch of dull maps. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy those. I'd rather puck my chest hairs out one by one, I think it would be more entertaining. I don't even play online for racing games either as I don't want to be playing against idiots who think they're playing a Burnout game.

The second reason is because I like to immerse myself in a game's atmosphere, its story, world and characters and you just can't get that with an online game. Even MMORPGs do not work for me because you see hundreds of people doing the exact same quests as you so the story and world make no sense not to mention you lose that sense of being unique and special. It's why I love The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Skyrim but hated The Elder Scrolls Online. I love the Final Fantasy games but not the online ones. Not only that but when I played World of Warcraft many, many years ago, I got annoyed by people I'd teamed up with nagging me to hurry up because I was taking the time to read all the lore! After that I just played the game solo but the atmosphere is definitely lacking in online games versus offline.

I guess I don't find games that interesting when stripped of a narrative or story and enjoy having an ultimate end goal to strive for. It's what keeps me interested in playing more than the gameplay mechanics or challenge. In that sense my interest in gaming is an extension of my interest in movies and TV shows plus I have always been interested in the technical aspects of games and their visuals.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Multiplayer?

spiderman GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned
99% single even with games like The Division I block people from joining me until I beat the whole thing. Would play MP occasionally but MP tend to be very competitive and I don't like losing so I do my best to come on top on any given game.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I play single player content 99% of the time. I used to play multiplayer games as a filler inbetween single player game releases. No Battlefield games these days so I just have long periods where I don't touch my console sadly.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Probably 95% of the time. The only single player game I have played regularly in the last few years is Crusader Kings 3.

That's not including games that are technically multiplayer, but that I play alone out of choice like Borderlands 3 and Destiny.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Probably 98%. The 2% is Rocket League (it had a bigger share a while back, but it's not been much lately).

Last edited:
From time to time I get interested in a multiplayer game, usually when it's some sort of new genre, like it happened with Dota, L4D, DayZ, PUBG or when it's my first experience with a certain type of game (GT, WoW, CS).

When the game changes too much from what I originally liked I tend to drop them forever (also because it's really hard to get back to these games once you stop). I don't relate at all to people complaining about lack of new content in multiplayer games.

Multiplayer games with annual releases to me are an abomination. The more the games change the more I dislike them (when the second map of PUBG dropped I dropped the game, I dropped WoW in the second expansion because it didn't feel like a continuation and more like a replacement, etc).

Right now there is only one multiplayer game that interests me and that is Factions, just based on how good the gameplay of TLoU2 is and my own hope for the game I guess.

Last edited:

Mithos

Time wise MULTIPLAYER. (Lineage 2 for 10+ years almost daily)
But still 95-98% singleplayer games.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i used to play mostly single player with the odd multiplayer game. now i'm probably leaning more towards multiplayer.

maybe i'm getting old but if i get a single player game and know that it will take say 40 hours to complete it then it starts to feel daunting and i can't get into it. i still play single player games. infact i'm going through Final Fantasy VII Remake right now which is a ~33 hour game. i'm about 12 hours in. i need to be in the right mood to sit down and play them now. sometimes a game is really damn good and i'm hooked. i played Elden Ring which took me 110 hours to beat and i was playing it every day. On the other hand I tried playing Shin Megami Tensei V and it took me about 6 months to play ~50 hours. It wasn't that the game was bad I enjoyed it but I couldn't bring myself to play it a lot.

when it comes to multiplayer games i feel more relaxed because i can play it for as long as i like because there's no real end to it. you put whatever you want into it. if i only play 10 hours and get bored then fine. if i want to play it for hundreds of hours then i can.

NahaNago

Time wise MULTIPLAYER. (Lineage 2 for 10+ years almost daily)
But still 95-98% singleplayer games.
My multiplayer game time wise was FFXIV awhile back almost daily and that was probably the most I played a game for the last 12 years.
99% singleplayer games..

Garibaldi

Are you from EA's social media team? Preparing your next tweet? /s

I'm pretty much exclusively single player unless my work buddies wanna play some co-op on something. Competitive multiplayer is too sweaty for me nowadays. Got enough stress

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Almost all the time. The only MP game I did more than few hours in recent years is BF V.
Single player is 99% of my gaming.
Couch coop is 0.9%
MP only 0.1%

Although something happened in 2019 and that was the year of coop for me. We dug out all couch coop games we could. Finished all gears, halo, Lost planet 2, resi5,6 and THE MOST GLORIOUS COOP EXPERIENCE EVER - ALL EDF GAMES. YES EVEN 2017 ON XBOX 360 T 7FPS. AMAZING FUN !!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom