• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What pre-release/promotion materials out shined the final products?

What the title says.. what promotional/trailer/etc ended up being way better than the final product they were trying to hype up?

I have two.

#1. HALO: Hunt the Truth ended up 5002% better than Halo 5, which is was ostensibly promoting.

Just.. amazing. Epic. If you lived it week to week during release.. you'd know this was _the_ podcast thing to listen to. Holy crap. It was so good. And as a Halo junkie, it hit every mark, consistantly. It tied everything together, reemphasized forgotten details and facts and... was completely ignored by the product it was promoting, Halo 5: Guardians. There were a few hints in the marketing.. but it was a joke. The game itself felt so inconsequential in it's own history/canon.. I was just so let down.

Season 1 was a lot better than Season 2, but they were both so well done, I think of them as 1 big product.

#2. The Rise of Skywalker 'Final' Trailer

Oh. Man.

I actually liked Rise of Skywalker, for the most part, at the very least I walked out thankful that it was all over. But that 'final' trailer was something else. It was the perfect hype builder for a movie no one was hyped for (Thank you, TLJ). It seemed to hit on everything I wanted to see.. and the music.. the music is SO GOOD. It wasn't done by John Williams, it was re-imagined by another person (who's name escapes me). The heroic Force theme is just perfect, and I was actively disappointed it wasn't in the final movie. Just everything about the trailer was perfect Star Wars. I wish the movie had lived up to it's own trailer. I still watch it from time to time, and listen to that theme as my preferred SW music.

What about you? What can you look back on and still get hyped for something that came and went with a thud?

Top Bottom