• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What PS3,PS2,PS1 Game(s) Should Get The Current-Gen Treatment…What Game(s) Are Not Collectionized/Remake Would You Make Exist? Is It Possible?

Toots

Gold Member
Yes i made the word collectionize up but hey words are made up until put in a dictionary
The made up verb isn’t the problem, the fact you conjugated it while not doing so for « remake » (should be « remade ») in the title on the other hand 😡

On topic, if they could remake any of these games I’ll be happy
arMDoVG.jpg

murmulis

Red Dead Redemption - it's basically an XBOX exclusive now. No other current gen system can play it.
MGS 1,2,3,4 - while first two games are on PC - they lack proper support for modern systems. I had to apply a community patch to MGS2 in order to play it. MGS 3 is also an XBOX exclusive now - no other current gen platform can run it without emulation.
And MGS 4 is still stuck on the PS3. It was playable on PSNow for a while, but last time I checked it was delisted for unknown reasons.
The only current gen system that can play Splinter Cell series is the PC.
PS2 Era Mortal Kombat games. I'd love if they included Konquest mode in the next one. And Motor Kombat too.
P2/3 Era Tomb Raider games should be remastered too - again - the only current gen system that can run those is the PC.
PS2/3 Era Hitman games. Only Blood Money is available on current gen consoles. Hitman 1/2/3 are currently only playable on PC. (And Contracts has ridiculous compatibility problems with widescreen displays).
Half Life 1&2 are also only playable on the PC. HL1 was remade, but its remake Black Mesa is a PC exclusive.
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - Loved the game back then. It's currently only available on PC.
Syberia 1/2 - also only on PC and its 2D backgrounds look ridiculous now.
No One Lives Forever 1&2 - apparently nobody knows for sure who owns the copyright of those games so you can't even buy them legally anywhere these days.
007: Nightfire - also can't be bought legally anywhere - just like other PS2/PS3 era 007 games. Yet another victim of our ridiculous copyright laws.
Myst Series - only available on PC and I would love pre-rendered backgrounds to be replaced with 3D ones. And VR mode would be nice too.
Prince Of Persia - the first one is happening, but I liked the other games more.
PS3 era Bionic Commando games.
Impossible Creatures - Homeworld was remastered, but Relic forgot about this one.
Prototype 1&2 - haven't played it in a while - apparently it now has lots of compatibility problems with modern systems.
Mirror's Edge - yet another game that can only be played on PC.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the original Deus Ex as well. They are only on PC now.
Max Payne series.

Last edited:
The made up verb isn’t the problem, the fact you conjugated it while not doing so for « remake » (should be « remade ») in the title on the other hand 😡
arMDoVG.jpg
Oh shit my bad English teacher, thanks for the lesson!

Last edited:
Red Dead Redemption - it's basically an XBOX exclusive now. No other current gen system can play it.
MGS 1,2,3,4 - while first two games are on PC - they lack proper support for modern systems. I had to apply a community patch to MGS2 in order to play it. MGS 3 is also an XBOX exclusive now - no other current gen platform can run it without emulation.
And MGS 4 is still stuck on the PS3. It was playable on PSNow for a while, but last time I checked it was delisted for unknown reasons.
PS2 Era Mortal Kombat games. I'd love if they included Konquest mode in the next one. And Motor Kombat too.
P2/3 Era Tomb Raider games should be remastered too - again - the only current gen system that can run those is the PC.
PS2/3 Era Hitman games. Only Blood Money is available on current gen consoles. Hitman 1/2/3 are currently only playable on PC. (And Contracts has ridiculous compatibility problems with widescreen displays).
Half Life 1&2 are also only playable on the PC. HL1 was remade, but its remake Black Mesa is a PC exclusive.
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - Loved the game back then. It's currently only available on PC.
No One Lives Forever 1&2 - apparently nobody knows for sure who owns the copyright of those games so you can't even buy them legally anywhere these days.
007: Nightfire - also can't be bought legally anywhere - just like other PS2/PS3 era 007 games. Yet another victim of our ridiculous copyright laws.
Myst Series - only available on PC and I would love pre-rendered backgrounds to be replaced with 3D ones. And VR mode would be nice too.
Prince Of Persia - the first one is happening, but I liked the other games more.
Impossible Creatures - Homeworld was remastered, but Relic forgot about this one.
Prototype 1&2 - haven't played it in a while - apparently it now has lots of compatibility problems with modern systems.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the original Deus Ex as well. They are only on PC now.
Max Payne series.
Max Payne 1&2 is being remade by Remedy already!

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Max Payne series.

You can play the whole Splinter Cell series on Xbox. Deus EX HR and the first Max Payne too.

murmulis

You can play the whole Splinter Cell series on Xbox. Deus EX HR and the first Max Payne too.
Btw - have they ever discontinued backwards compatibility for any game? Sony discontinuing MGS 4 was a really unpleasant surprise, because I still haven't finished the campaign.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member

arMDoVG.jpg
Yakuza-Kiwami.jpg

Done.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Btw - have they ever discontinued backwards compatibility for any game? Sony discontinuing MGS 4 was a really unpleasant surprise, because I still haven't finished the campaign.

Some games got delisted because of licences sure.

arMDoVG.jpg
Tenchu 3 remake needs to happen, or new tenchu altogether... Just give me back my boy Rikimaru.

Holammer

Killzone remake and remasters of the sequels.
Sly Cooper 1,2 & 3
Jak & Daxter, give it a full remake and add a little. Then fork the universe, disregard the sequels and make a new happy-go-lucky series without the early 2000's edge. Fk'n Matrix ruined an entire generation of games.

Killer8

Killzone remasters are so obvious that it's painful.

Sony could give the first game the full remake treatment, taking time to also make the gameplay and design much better. A Halo 2 Anniversary level visual leap, but much more expansive. Maybe more like a Resident Evil 2 level remake. The original was a mid game that had so much potential.

Killzone 2 and 3 are things of beauty in 4K on RPCS3. A 4K60 remaster of both games, plus maybe even bundling Shadow Fall with a 4K patch, should be all that's needed. Sony could also offer a rebooted Killzone multiplayer as a standalone download which combines together all the maps and weapons from KZ2 through to Shadow Fall. Or even just KZ2 MP in 4K60 would be fine.

[COLLECTIONS]

-Dance Dance Revolution Collection:
That Project Leonardis controller, I know it's meant for people with disabilities BUT, you can't look at that and not tell me it wouldn't make for a great DDR controller, right? I was also thinking maybe as a Beatmania controller, but that one might be more challenging to do.

Throw as many games in there as you can, or even just rip all the songs you can legally do and add them into a custom mix or something. Would love that kind of collection.

-Parappa/UmJammer/Parappa 2 Collection: It's time. Just put all three in a single package, up the resolution, throw in some art galleries and TV commercial bonuses. Put it out there for $30 and I'd buy it immediately.

-Popolocrois Collection: I've always been interested in playing these games, though I don't think they got official English translations. Maybe doing a deal with the people on the fan translation could work, then put out a small collection with the two games and the PSP one too. I think there'd be some people interested in that for say $30.

[REMAKES/REBOOTS]

-Tomba 1 & 2:
These games deserve to be played by WAY more people, but I think the 2nd game in particular could benefit from a modern Klonoa remake-style facelift, higher resolution, better framerate and updated character models. That could also be used to bring the visual style of it and the prequel into better cohesion, but the two still keep their specific gameplay styles.

I wouldn't mind putting out $40 for such a remake, these are two of my favorite games of all time.

-Planet Laika: Only recently played this about a year ago, but loved it for being a unique experience. I think if it were remade today, the battle mechanics could have a bit more depth and maybe the puzzles could be more intricate, but absolutely keep the story, characters, art design and world the same. There aren't many games out there with its vibe and the story is very well done here, especially with the way it handles its themes (which are quite heavy for a game from its day, especially since it deals with mental health, abuse (verbal & sexual), trauma, psychosis, etc.).

And yes, keep all the characters anthropomorphic dog-people. The contrast between that and what the game deals with works in its favor.

-Fear Effect 1 & 2: I think there are a decent amount of people who still have a soft spot for these RE-style cyberpunk survival-horror/action games. The RE remakes have gone over very well, and Fear Effect has some key distinguishing factors with its story and whatnot that would be appealing. The team clearly had more in mind with the IP going by the leaked concepts and early footage of the third game which unfortunately was scrapped, but the IP deserves more than that side game which came out a few years ago. Way more.

Would probably be best to do it as a remake combining the two games and their stories into a single experience, but make it feel organic. I think that would be worth a full-price treatment.

-Parasite Eve 1 & 2: This one goes without question. Still among Square's most unique games made, and among their only real attempts at survival-horror. The sequel diverged pretty heavily from the first game but I think given what they've done with FF VII Remake, they can bring the gameplay styles of PE 1 & 2 closer into unity with each other while still retaining what made the individual games unique & charming.

I think each of these could get their own remakes, and I would be down for both.

-Jet Moto: There are very few water racing-based games on the market anymore, so immediately a Jet Moto remake can fill a specific niche there. I think one taking select tracks from the first 3 games and remaking them into a full-fledged experience for single-player but also, obviously, have a full-featured online MP option too. I don't think it needs to be a live-service/GaaS title, actually; just allowing for online competitive play would be good enough.

Throw in some mini-games, proper remixes for classic tracks, and make it a visually strong game with PSVR2 support (for those who want to play it that way) and I think you've got a quality $40 remake and some much-needed subgenre diversity in the 1P (Sony hasn't had an arcade racer arguably since Driveclub). If it does strong enough, you can make a sequel with more live-service/GaaS elements (if they wanted to).

[SEQUELS]

-Parasite Eve 3:
This IP deserves a real 3rd game, not what The 3rd Birthday tried to be (and ended up derailing the franchise). It shouldn't be hard to do, and Square-Enix clearly have the talent around to do a Parasite Eve 3 properly this time. Just make it happen.

-Fear Effect 3: Another IP that deserves a proper 3rd game, I think FE got shafted harder than PE in that regard. A lot of potential with its universe; just get the right people involved, stay in spirit to the original games and follow Capcom's template while innovating from there.

I actually looked up Fear Effect and found out that Sedna (the tactical game) was just a side game, and there actually IS a Fear Effect remake in development. It's supposed to be coming this year, in fact. So I'll be looking forward to that, and hope it hits the right beats. There's also word that Inferno (which was supposed to be the 3rd game in the series) could get made if the remake does well so, I'll be doing my part and checking out the remake when it launches. I just also hope it's a really good remake!

-Parappa the Rapper 3: I know some stuff went down with the original VA for Parappa, but if they have to recast, then please do so. I would love a Parappa 3 with UmJammer in it (because I actually like UmJammer Lammy more than Parappa the Rapper, if we're talking about games in the franchise), and I think it would actually be great if they did it as a Paper Mario-style RPG with rhythm game-style battle encounters.

The story doesn't even need to be serious! Just make it something goofy & fun, like it was in the other games, and have it go crazy where it'd work. I wouldn't mind if they got the team behind Popee the Performer (great show, watch it sometime 😁) to help with writing and scenario design of a Parappa RPG, that would be great IMO. Make it a super-solid AA-style effort, and I'll be there Day 1.

---------------

I think there are a lot of games that could obviously come back and work super-well from a financial POV or from having a more sizeable fanbase. Stuff like a live-service/GaaS MotorStorm, a new Burnout (Burnout 3 is one of my favorite racers still), Dino Crisis remake/sequel, etc. But chances are other people have mentioned those already, and I wanted to throw out some personal favorites of rereleases/remakes/sequels that would particularly get ME to pick them up Day 1.

It's just that I also think at least most of these would also get quite a few other people interested. Would they be the biggest moneymakers (like 5+ million copies sold) for the respective companies? Probably not, in some of these cases (Parasite Eve remakes would probably be huge for Square-Enix money-wise, though). But they'd still make good money, because most of these wouldn't need huge budgets to get them made, or massive teams, either.

I just hope at least some of these end up happening. Some of the modern remakes in particular we've been getting, on one hand I see why they're being done, because the original games were SUPER popular. OTOH, I've always felt remakes are best when they bring games that were high-quality but otherwise ignored back in their day, back to modern audiences for a second chance. People are always going to love Dead Space or RE4 no matter how many times you remake them, but wouldn't be nice to have a few other classic revivals brought back to add to the pot for a change?

That's the way I see it.

Crayon

Colony wars series for vr would be nice. I don't think it would be that popular on regular tv because that genre is waaayyyy less popular than it was back then. Cockpit sims get more traction with the vr crowd. So they could do a modest rework of the games and sell vr/flat hybrid and maybe that would be enough audience putting the two together.

Griffon

Just have proper backward compatible emulators with proper upscaling/higher framerate capabilities.

Fuck remasters/remakes, just make new games.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I would like a current gen sequel to Okami, but I'll take a remake without the annoying super long last boss fight (the game could also be reduced 1/4 to 1/3 in length).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
lh4qe10.jpg

Another one that just came to mind.

Man I have a lot of nostalgia for that era. So many cool new IPs and ideas that were made possible by 3D graphics. And lots of games that were just sort of like “hey here’s a fun idea that would lend itself nicely to a video game, let’s try it”, unlike nowadays where it’s mostly safe, blockbuster stuff that aims for the widest appeal possible.

Crayon

If someone had some incredible vision for Jumping Flash. If there was any way to recapture that. It's still fun. Spoiled by being too easy all these years. A ground up re-imagining would have to be pretty much genius to work, though.

Camreezie

Yes i made the word collectionize up but hey words are made up until put in a dictionary, anyways, these new games just don’t hit the same in general as much as they use to during the PS2 era in my opinion. PS2 had sooooo many games. Like you can damn near find a game for everything. Shit like Blade and Spawn, Ghost rider had they own games. So i’ve playing through PS2 games on PS5 like Ratchet & Clank 2 and now on 3. They’re still fun but they’re not good looking. I think Sony should have their studio Bluepoint or whomever create an all time remake for a PS2 game, idk exactly which one, but it’s so many we all would love to see. For example (and im naming more at the bottom) me personally, Ratchet & Clank 2&3 ps5 graphics. is it possible for an Ultimate Spider-Man collection? Say for instance, all spider-man games including like Ultimate spider-man, web of shadows, shattered dimensions, all remade with modern graphics?I think it would sell and make profit but these companies don’t know it 🤷🏾‍♂️Also what collection of remakes doesn't exist that should? What game(s)? And yeah this is the thread i thought about, hope these games become manifested into existence!

To name some off the top of my head
Jak & Daxter
Hulk Games (ultimate destruction)
Marvel Nemesis
Batman Arkham series
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1&2
God of war 1&2&3!

Imagine these games and your games that you picked with the Matrix level of graphics!
Arkham series are available in a collection. Also marvel ultimate alliance 1 and 2 were ported to PS4 but taken down by Activision. Theres a god of war 1 and 2 double pack on ps3 i believe too

Corian33

All of those Army Men games in a remastered collection. I think there’s still so much untapped potential there, but it would be cool to play them again with the power of modern systems making them look and control way better.

coffinbirth

Max Payne series.
Mirrors Edge
Entire Splinter Cell series
Entire Max Payne Series
Three PS3/360-era Tomb Raider games
FIVE PS2/PS3-era Hitman games
Deux Ex: HR
Syberia
Prince of Persia : The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Are ALL available via Xbox Backwards Compatibility

Also, Myst got remade recently, and a Riven Remake was announced in October.

NahaNago

I'd honestly prefer new entries in these older series but since we are talking about remakes I guess it would be mega man legends, wild arms, jak and daxter, and devil may cry. Honorable mentions would be Shadow hearts, Onimusha, xenosaga, and jade cocoon.

Top Bottom