• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What publishers/developers should Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo buy next?

With publishers and developers being bought out constantly, who should the big three purchase next?

Nintendo: I think Nintendo should buy out platinum games. Platinum games make unique games that aren't found on other platforms and helps Nintendo stand out more. Plus platinum games are just fun.

Sony: They should purchase Ubisoft as their games (with a few exceptions) are single player story driven narrative games that Sony fans like. Sony could also help polish up Ubisoft games which it desperately needs.

Microsoft: EA makes the most sense because the sports games on game pass day one would be huge. Even if it isn't exclusive to Xbox this will help drive up subscriptions.

feynoob

Banned
Oh My God No GIF by TV One

Really? 🙄
Zero chance for MS to pursue another publisher anytime soon. Sony is not likely to acquire one, and Nintendo even less so.

Last edited:
If sony were to buy anyone it wouldn’t be ubisoft, as if they don’t have enough of those games in abundance.

They would need to either buy another dedicated FPS/multiplayer studio or a CD Projekt Red studio with a big rpg game series. Sony know they need an big rpg to stand up against elder scrolls when the time comes, they tried to get starfield for a reason.

And with KoTOR 2 going through dev hell they’re gonna need somethign to replace it

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I think there won’t be big ones any time soon, especially EA / Take-Two - people vastly underestimate how expensive those would be.

Smaller ones and support studios will definitely happen.

I'd like to see MS acquire squanch games, asobo, GSC game world and whats left of tell tale

Sony should acquire sloclap, bluetwelve studio

Nintendo, idc make a console capable of playing games aboive 720...

Uhhh none? Why do people want this. It only devalues other competitors systems and doesn't strengthen your own. It's not consumer friendly at all.
Some indie developers benefit from having a stable corporate overlord to allow them to make the games the want without having to worry about the business aspect of keeping a studio open. Pentiment wouldn't exist if Obsidian was still independent , so there is some value in it.

yurinka

I don't think they should/will buy all of them, but if they continue acquiring they should consider these ones, which I assume most of them won't want to sell:
  • Sony: Capcom, From Software (not the whole Kadokawa), Devolver, Annapurna, ARC System Works, Square Enix (at least some of their studios and IPs) and if their next game is good and successful enough Arrowhead, Firewalk, Deviation, Ballistic Moon. Plus a handful big Asian (console friendly) mobile/PC dev like miHoyo, Netease or NC Soft, and some other AAAish VR dev. I think they should also create or acquire a Polish studio that would have PS Studios decent management mixed with former top (specially from the creative and narrative areas) talent from CD Projekt, Flying Wild Hog and Techland. They also should sign more AAAish 2nd party games with Ember Lab, BlueTwelve, Nagoshi Studio, Bokeh or Sloclap and if these game work well to buy them shortly after release.
  • Nintendo: Platinum, Mercury Steam, DeNa, Game Freak, HAL, Intelligent Systems, Good-Feel.
  • Microsoft: after acquiring ABK I think they should pause the acquisitions for a while, make some changes in management and focus instead on properly integrating all the studios they bought in recent years, ensure all their internal teams properly collaborate with each other sharing all knowledge and tech needed, and also improve their productivity to ensure MS highly increases their output of big AAA 1st party releases, having at least a one or two per quarter every single year. Once they achieved this, try to buy (and keep all their games full multiplatform) EA, Take 2, Embracer Group, Sega or Konami.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I don’t care anymore.

I’ve now accepted that I have to buy 3 consoles and possibly 3 upgrades every generation.

My new year resolution is to stop caring whatever happens with this stuff, only difference for me is which controllers I’ll use and I’m fully capable of using them all.

I wonder if Microsoft won’t pull back from full blown acquisitions after Activision completes and instead go for a bunch of third party deals.

Sony should do whatever allows them to diversify their library - enough with the third person dramas!

Nintendo should acquire a company that produces analog sticks that don’t fucking drift.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don’t care anymore.

I’ve now accepted that I have to buy 3 consoles and possibly 3 upgrades every generation.

My new year resolution is to stop caring whatever happens with this stuff, only difference for me is which controllers I’ll use and I’m fully capable of using them all.

Not much point in getting hung up on this stuff anyway since there is nothing anyone can do about it. I think (more like I hope) big publishers are becoming more and more irrelevant anyway. I look at games like A Plague Tale: Requiem. That would not have been possible a few years ago without a big publisher behind it. But here we are with a legit AAA quality game published by a smaller company like Focus. Gaming is expanding at all levels and massive budgets haven't really translated to the best games for a while, imo.

After the Activision deal goes through, the next obvious one for MS is Sega.

Happy Rainbow GIF by Jeremy Christensen

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nintendo : way forward , platinum, treasure , shin’en, Konami and sega

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Sony should buy Square Enix just so that they have less money left to buy someone whos stuff i like. They should also buy Iron galaxy studios for more wholesome reasons.

Microsoft has "fixed" Bethesdas launcher problems which is why i think they should buy Ubisoft, EA, 2k and Epic and help them "fix" their launchers.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

As far as I care MS can buy Activision/Blizzard, EA and Ubisoft, it's a perfect mix of milking franchises endlessly.

Nintendo doesn't really need to buy anything since most of what they do I resell 20 year old games at full price and keep Mario chasing the princess and Link chasing Zelda till the end of times.

Sony should buy THQ Nordic from Embracer so they get hundreds of cool IPs to lock away in their vault and never be seen again...

Last edited:

MAtgS

It would be loltastic if Nintendo were to buy Sega, Capcom, and Square all at once. The Internet meltdowns would be glorious!

Personally I think Nintendo and Sony should join forces since Nintendo is good at handhelds and Sony for console then have each others games. Sony wouldn't able to buy EA games but I personally suggest of merging. they won't be able to be brought out then and has good catalogue of games from live services, shooters soccer/football and RTS etc etc and buy out Sega , capcom and konami

Roberts

I have no clue, but I would be OK with Ms to continue what they started with Double Fine, Compulsion, Ninja Theory, Inxile and Obsidian - acquire talented but struggling developers that rely on crowdfunding and give them funding to do whatever they want to do.

Jaybe

I’m sure Microsoft has asked Gabe if he’s got a number. Valve solves the PC storefront issue that’s been holding them back, let’s them make a potential Game Pass on Steam be more than just first party (like how EA’s Play version is just EA games), and provides VR and portable hardware. Horrible for competition in the industry though.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

Jinzo Prime

Everyone wanting Nintendo to settle for Platinum is not a fan.

Nintendo should go for a real Japanese studio like Capcom or Bandai-Namco.

Topher

Gold Member
I have no clue, but I would be OK with Ms to continue what they started with Double Fine, Compulsion, Ninja Theory, Inxile and Obsidian - acquire talented but struggling developers that rely on crowdfunding and give them funding to do whatever they want to do.

I'm in a "wait and see" mode as far as that is concerned. I want to see what these devs can do having started and finished games under Microsoft's umbrella. Hopefully, they improve their games in every way, but that's not always the case with studios after being acquired.

I’m sure Microsoft has asked Gabe if he’s got a number. Valve solves the PC storefront issue that’s been holding them back, let’s them make a potential Game Pass on Steam be more than just first party (like how EA’s Play version is just EA games), and provides VR and portable hardware. Horrible for competition in the industry though.

I think that has less to do with money and everything to do with Gabe deciding when he is ready to retire. Can't imagine Gabe going back to work for Microsoft after being his own boss for so many years.

GHG

Gold Member

Microsoft have all the resources necessary to fix their own PC storefront issues but they choose not to.

Jaybe

I think that has less to do with money and everything to do with Gabe deciding when he is ready to retire. Can't imagine Gabe going back to work for Microsoft after being his own boss for so many years.
True. At some point when you are exceeding weathly, it’s likely more about the freedom and power to do what you want and what interests you. Gabe gave an interview last year where he seemed super excited about Human-Computer Interaction research Valve was doing.

Sony should buy Take Two. It would be a power move after Activision.

Honestly, yes. But any Japanese publisher would be a win for Sony. Ideally Konami or Square. Capcom would be great. Tecmo Koei is a good shout. Namco and SEGA maybe the weakest fit but arguably the majority of the audience for most Namco games on PlayStation.

Hopefully none because the industry doesn’t need more fucking consolidation by megacorps.

I didn't want it to begin with. When Microsoft bought a great number of studios I thought brilliant, they'll develop them, start releasing big franchises and they'll push Sony to make better games. Instead they just continued buying stuff. Like Bethesda and ABK.

Everyone wanting Nintendo to settle for Platinum is not a fan.

Nintendo should go for a real Japanese studio like Capcom or Bandai-Namco.

I don't think there's a safe choice for Nintendo. I think they're happy as they are. I genuinely can't think of a single big publisher that'll make sense.

With publishers and developers being bought out constantly, who should the big three purchase next?

Nintendo: I think Nintendo should buy out platinum games. Platinum games make unique games that aren't found on other platforms and helps Nintendo stand out more. Plus platinum games are just fun.
I can see that.
Sony: They should purchase Ubisoft as their games (with a few exceptions) are single player story driven narrative games that Sony fans like. Sony could also help polish up Ubisoft games which it desperately needs.
No. Ubisofts is too big and too much a shit to handle.

I could see Capcom. (the ideal one)

Square Enix (if they clean house)

Microsoft: EA makes the most sense because the sports games on game pass day one would be huge. Even if it isn't exclusive to Xbox this will help drive up subscriptions.
They wouldn't be able to buy any big publishers anymore.

Top Bottom