• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Tablet Are You Using?

Karmic Raze

First off, I apologize for luring you into here on false pretenses. Well, not false, but I need your help.

I’ve been mainly an iPad Pro guy, but I’ve owned a couple of regular iPads, the iPad mini 5, and the iPad Air 4. I’ve also had a Samsung Galaxy S7+. I spent most of my money on an Xbox Series X, so I’m looking for a tablet that is priced reasonably. The two I am thinking about are the Samsung Tab S5e ($300 on eBay) and the Lenovo Yoga Tab 11 ($319 starting price, I believe).

I do prefer the iPadOS ecosystem, but my funds are limited to about $375, so I can’t afford a new iPad unless I get the iPad 9.

I mean, if anyone has experience with either of the 2 tablets I mentioned I would love to hear your thoughts on them. Or any other recs.

What tablet are YOU using, though? And do you like it?

Last edited:

Leopold

I have an iPad 2019 that I barely use. My wife uses it to watch movies in bed and that's it. I might get an Air with the pen down the road.

oneran

I use a Windows Tablet mainly for Steam Inhome streaming, along with general web-browsing.
Had it since 2014 and I pretty much use it daily.

If you don't mind me asking what are you using it for exactly? as you seem to have gone through a lot of Ipads and the 9 should be fine for basic tasks.
I would normally recommend looking into a refurbished model if you want something on the cheap, just make sure wherever you're buying from has a good exchange policy.

oneran

If you really prefer the Apple ecosystem, then I'd say go for the Ipad 9 as it doesn't seem like you're doing anything too stressful.
If you really want to save some cash and have the option of expandable storage then go with one of the Android's.

Hopefully you'll get some more opinions (and maybe some deal links) as the thread progresses.
Happy Hunting!

Jaysen

Banned
iPad Air 4. If you can afford it, I recommend it. The cheap iPad is nice, but it uses an unlaminated screen which is immediately noticeable.

TrueLegend

I dont like Apple but if you want to do heavy gaming or use many apps optimized for tablet than Apple is your only option. I use Samsung Tab S6. Its great for watching content. Samsung TabS5e is also great for watching content although I dislike AMOLED. If you want to do photo and video editing get Ipad. Base iPad starts at 329. The Ipad aspect ratio is suited for photo and video editing but otherwise, you will get the black bar watching content. Samsung STab are 16:10 so no black bars unless its ultrawide shot.

If you have money IPad Air is the only tablet worth buying.
Try to get a student discount. If not on your name then try friends or relatives.

Dural

You had an S7+, did you not like it? It's what I use daily and I really like it for browsing the internet, watching tv, and the occasional video and photo editing. I love the ability to put things side by side or in a pop up window, on Sundays I have my fantasy team and a streaming football game side by side. There are deals all the time for it and the smaller S7, the S7 was only $312 a week ago with some Galaxy Buds included. I'd keep an eye out on Slickdeals for another deal.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I have an iPad from 2020. Been using iPads since 2012.

They have their limitations, but I use them mostly for internet browsing, video watching, the occasional light word processing with an added keyboard. I’m pretty happy with my iPad.

Tams

Gold Member
Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6. It runs Windows which is just so much more useful. The battery life is a bit shit though.

The Tab S6 Lite is a good option. Don't bother with the S5e. That or an iPad Air.

Or if you really don't want to spend much, then just get a Kindle Fire.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have a Kindle Fire (2018/2019 version?). I use it for web browsing, youtube videos, and ebooks. It was dirt cheap and does exactly what I need and want it to do. I use it every day.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I use ipad Pro mostly over the years, current is the new iPad 12.9 with the mini led screen. I’d go with New IPad, even the cheapest one will be better then most other things out there.

Refurbished one on apple website can help out on price, gotten a few in the past and they are like new.

badblue

The only tablets I use.

BigBooper

Galaxy tab s4. I got it because it's slightly taller than normal, so if you flip it to read digital comics or magazines it's better. Turns out I didn't really want to read comics after all though. Tablet is fine though. If you're just streaming I'm wondering why you're going through so many tablets.

Fbh

I have a 2016 (or 15) Samsung Tab A.

Everyone says Samsung/Android tablets suck but it was cheap and still works great for the uses I give it (mostly watching Netflix, Reading manga/comics and some light browsing)

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I have a load of Android apps that'd I'd love to use on a bigger screen (Rome:Total War for example) but I heard Android tablets were trash.

Is this true? Is there such a thing as a decent Android tablet?

Dural

I have a load of Android apps that'd I'd love to use on a bigger screen (Rome:Total War for example) but I heard Android tablets were trash.

Is this true? Is there such a thing as a decent Android tablet?

The Galaxy Tab S7 and S7+ are about as good as you're going to get in an android tablet. The problem with android is that a lot of developers don't care to make their apps work with tablets the way they do on ios. Lots of popular apps will only display in portrait mode on android tablets while the same apps are in landscape on ios. There are apps you can get that will force landscape but a lot of them don't really look right when you do this. Some apps also won't allow to be put side by side either, but again, there are apps that allow you around this but it can cause some issues with some of them. Google really needs to do something about it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Karmic Raze

I’ve got a bit of a bigger budget now and I’m stuck between the iPad Air 4 and the Samsung Tab S7 (Not the Plus). Not sure which would be better for me. I was thinking the iPad Air, and I have to get it from Walmart.com, but the green is the color I want and it’s out of my price range as it’s about $90 more than all the other colors. But the S7 looks like a better deal. You get quad speakers, double the storage (and expandable storage), 120hz refresh rate, and the s-pen. I’m just conflicted as all hell right now.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The Galaxy Tab S7 and S7+ are about as good as you're going to get in an android tablet. The problem with android is that a lot of developers don't care to make their apps work with tablets the way they do on ios. Lots of popular apps will only display in portrait mode on android tablets while the same apps are in landscape on ios. There are apps you can get that will force landscape but a lot of them don't really look right when you do this. Some apps also won't allow to be put side by side either, but again, there are apps that allow you around this but it can cause some issues with some of them. Google really needs to do something about it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm actually surprised Google haven't had another go at their own tablet. The Pixel tablet was a disaster, but now they're using their own chips, maybe it's time for another go? Maybe that would also be a solution to the problem of apps working across android devices?

I use my IPad Pro 12.9 (2020) with Apple Pencil every day.

before I had the iPad Pro 12.9 first gen. And before the iPad 2gen

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
iPad Pro 2nd Gen 2017, great tablet, definitely got my money worth out of it.

I will carefully consider whether to make a new iPad Pro my primary computing device and keep only the work laptop.

Only valid use case I found for a tablet Is for the kid to watch videos on long car rides.
Have some cheapo Lenovo tablet with decent battery time to do this. I can't be bothered to remember the model.

Wunray

I'm using the tab S4 I bought a few years ago, I like it for the AMOLED screen but it's processor is showing its age.

teezzy

Banned
i'd like to get my hands on a Microsoft Surface eventually, whatever the best model is. i want that one

iPad Pro 11" w/256GB (2021 model).

only other tablet i've owned was the original iPad from 2010. never been a tablet person but i wanted a 3rd device something in between my iPhone + Desktop. i wanted something portable with a larger screen than my iPhone (which is a 6.7" screen) that i could use for general browsing and watching netflix/youtube. i was originally gonna get a MacBook but got the iPad instead.

i went with the Pro cause it made more sense over the iPad Air. there's only £20 difference between the 256GB Air and the 128GB Pro. 128GB is fine for me but i felt i could justify the 256GB which is a difference of £120 from the 256GB Air cause it has a better screen/camera, faster processor, face id, double the RAM.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
11" iPad Pro 2018. I use it all the damn time. Mostly during travel, but I use it all out daily for note taking, e-reader, web browsing. I find that I use it far more frequently when it is out of its case as the weight and proportions feel way better in the hand. I'll seal it up when I travel but otherwise, I greatly prefer the device 'nude', so to speak.

I am tempted to get the new Mini as a compliment to the 11" but I would have way too much guilt having 2 iPads just because one would feel better to read e-books with.

11" iPad Pro 2018. I use it all the damn time. Mostly during travel, but I use it all out daily for note taking, e-reader, web browsing. I find that I use it far more frequently when it is out of its case as the weight and proportions feel way better in the hand. I'll seal it up when I travel but otherwise, I greatly prefer the device 'nude', so to speak.

I am tempted to get the new Mini as a compliment to the 11" but I would have way too much guilt having 2 iPads just because one would feel better to read e-books with.
i have an 11" pro but that mini is tempting. it makes no sense for me to get it but shit a cellular ipad mini is what i've wanted from smartphones. i have a 12 pro max which is a 6.7" screen but it still feels too small for me. if i could get a iPad Mini and use it as a phone replacement i'd do it. unfortuantly i still rely on phone calls + sms. not everyone can do facetime/imessage.

2020 iPad Pro 12.9” on my Verizon plan
I travel for work and use it to do almost everything for my job so I’m always on it
Totally worth the hefty price at least for me

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
i have an 11" pro but that mini is tempting. it makes no sense for me to get it but shit a cellular ipad mini is what i've wanted from smartphones. i have a 12 pro max which is a 6.7" screen but it still feels too small for me. if i could get a iPad Mini and use it as a phone replacement i'd do it. unfortuantly i still rely on phone calls + sms. not everyone can do facetime/imessage.
I use Google Voice & a separate number to field all my work calls on the same device as my personal phone. In fact for like 10 years I went without a cellphone plan, using just the Google Voice app. I don't know how the number porting works these days, but it could be an option for you to look into.

Susurrus

I actually just use an HP Envy. It is a Windows all-in-one that can be either a laptop or fold over into a big screen tablet. Most video services have apps on the "Microsoft store" that allow downloads just like on Android and iOS (though Disney+ is a glaring omission...), and having both a computer and tablet in one device is super convenient. I know there are other brands/models out there, but this just happens to be the one I went with.

I previously went to an ASUS Chromebook all-in-one for the same reason, but that was a mistake as they are very limited in features making it so I couldn't do a lot of my homework tasks without annoying workarounds, and the video apps wouldn't play in HD due to lack of HDCP despite the beautiful screen. I ended up giving it to my wife when I got my Envy since she needed a new device and literally only uses it for web browsing, email, and Kindle, which it does great.

Mihos

Gold Member
Pixel Slate i7

I like the big screen for comic books and like that it runs chrome OS, Linux, and Android apps.

I also have a MS surface

Last edited:

Quasicat

I am looking to replace my 12 year old PC since it’s showing it’s age. I found that an iPad 9, with a magic keyboard, and mouse is all I need. I would say to go with iPad 9, it’s got a faster chip from last year and is within your price range.

NinjaBoiX

I’ve had an iPad Air 2 that I bought preowned for an absolute steal about 4 years ago. I literally only ever use it for media streaming, so it’s all I’ll ever need.

(I actually some very brief research into the new ipads, but it was the quickest “why though?” I’ve ever asked myself.)

GymWolf

One that need a replacement asap.

But like only 3 brands make high end tablet, 2 are overpriced and the other is kinda shitty...

There is also M but i have no interest in a pricey windows tablet.

Last edited:

LordCBH

I’m still browsing the internet with the OG iPad. It BARELY works but somehow it still works. Planning on getting a new one soon though.

I use a Fire HD 10. Got it cheaper on one of their sales. It does the job for what I want to do like watch Netflix and all that.

I do want to get an Android tablet at some point though, because there is much more you can do with it.

Fire-HD-10_News-Main.jpg

Top Bottom