• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What TF is wrong with parents today?

Cyberpunkd

I went running to the park during lunch break.

1. Mommy walking while on the phone with her friend, her son behind her dragging his bike with difficulty since the thing was too heavy, the woman didn't even look behind her at her son, she was just walking.
2. Mommy sitting on the bench Facetiming someone while her son sits next to her sad and silent.

Bitch no. 1 - you bet I told that hag how to behave.

winning charlie sheen GIF

Back to my question: how TF did parents abandon their responsibilities in the span of 10-15 years? Is the damn social media or some Insta thot more important than your own children? WTF? Who gives AF about some stupid low-level shit your random friend is calling you to yap about?

Here's the list of things in life that are important as a parent:

1. Time you spend with your kids
2. Not important

Why TF is this so difficult to understand?

Cyberpunkd

My parents never, ever acted like that. If anything, I find that hover parenting is farm more prominent and kid-centric today.
What I meant is you probably have less than 10 years in total to truly bond with your kids - below 3 they are blobs, above 13-14 they become teenagers and want nothing to do with you. There are really more important things in life than being on your phone all day.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
My parents never, ever acted like that. If anything, I find that hover parenting is farm more prominent and kid-centric today.
I was gonna ask what kind of parallel universe the OP grew up in. My parents were great, but they were also very hands off. They would often only see me for an hour or two a day and have no idea where I was or what I was doing during the rest of the time.

Cyberpunkd

I was gonna ask what kind of parallel universe the OP grew up in. My parents were great, but they were also very hands off. They would often only see me for an hour or two a day and have no idea where I was or what I was doing during the rest of the time.
I did not mean to spend time with your kids constantly. What I meant is - once you spend time with your kid you give them your undivided attention.

Phones are ruining a generation of kids, it's really sad.

Im not perfect, I do it too sometimes and if someone sees me at that moment, they'll think the same of me. But I always have dedicated time with my kids everyday, I've bought stuffed fables to play with the kids last week and we make it a routine to play a part of the story together every night.

Also, our lives are now just running around and trying to fit everything in our crazy schedules. I had my mom full time at home and realise that I was very lucky back when I was a kido

Last edited:
People are taught to prioritize their own happiness and career over their kids nowadays. Just dump 'em at day care or grandma's house and do your own thing. How horrible it must be to spend only an hour or two a day with your parents, and even then they're too busy with their phones to pay attention.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
OP doesnt have kids.

Helicopter parents are the worst. The kid needs to learn how to ride a bike. Mom needs some time off too. If the kid is sitting there instead of running around the park, thats on him.

That said, if you are out walking with your kids id probably focus on the kids, but once im in the park i dont want them anywhere around me. go make friends with other kids.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
People are taught to prioritize their own happiness and career over their kids nowadays. Just dump 'em at day care or grandma's house and do your own thing. How horrible it must be to spend only an hour or two a day with your parents, and even then they're too busy with their phones to pay attention.

I get what you're saying but it's a bit more complex and nuanced. And I don't mean to say I know it better so just hear me out.

People/couples want or are expected/peer pressured into having kids. Mostly during a time where they're settled in or in some sort of position career wise.

Double income means double the money means less time for one on one parent child(dren) interaction.

A side effect of both parents working, besides less time to spend with their children, is their mental state when they can interact with said children due to career and social/what have you obligations: stress??

Hard working Parents need "me" time as well to regenerate as to function in career mode. Thus inherently diminishing (generally speaking) the quality of true interaction with their offspring.

More income more chance to afford daycare/babysitter.

And then there's the iPad etc

It's fine to want to have kids. And it's a (X%) necessity for double income depending on factor(s) XYZ

I don't think people are tought to see this as normal. They just want something and do it (mostly with the best intentions) and try to make it work.

But parents themselves are on a dynamic path that is life and if career opportunities arise... there's alway daycare or the iPad. He/she is doing good at school anyways so where's the problem? /s.

Forgot my train of thought.

Last edited:

Gorgyles

Banned
I'm with SlimySnake SlimySnake to a degree.

When my son (Age 7) and I go bike ride with one another we're in charge of ourselves.
If he's struggling with something that's fine.

Kids are capable and need the experience of doing hard things and overcoming adversity.
I won't be here to intervene on his behalf forever, so I have to teach him and encourage him now while I can.

Slimy is also right that kids need freedom and can learn so much socially and emotionally by being alone with kids their own age.

But to Cyberpunkd Cyberpunkd 's point...

Parents are checked out. I see it all the time.
Daycare is not a good surrogate parent.
The iPad is not a good surrogate parent.

Parents needs to sacrifice a little and pour themselves into their children.
Teach them. Play with them. Set high expectations of them.
I'm already seeing the rewards of this philosophy in my own child vs many of his peers.

/soapbox

22:22:22 22:22:22

Most of those factors existed thirty years ago too. And yet those people were (more) prepared to make sacrifices for the sake of their children. Because that's ultimately what it comes down to. You only have so much time, and if your prioritize something other than your kids you're doing it wrong.

Double income means more money, sure. I understand a lot of people can't sustain themselves without that. But there's also a growing group of people who just work more and more to be able to afford extravagance and luxury. Just my humble opinion, but I think people should learn again to appreciate the smaller things in life and return to a mundane lifestyle were they find value in their family, neighbors and friends.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
22:22:22 22:22:22

Most of those factors existed thirty years ago too. And yet those people were (more) prepared to make sacrifices for the sake of their children. Because that's ultimately what it comes down to. You only have so much time, and if your prioritize something other than your kids you're doing it wrong.

Double income means more money, sure. I understand a lot of people can't sustain themselves without that. But there's also a growing group of people who just work more and more to be able to afford extravagance and luxury. Just my humble opinion, but I think people should learn again to appreciate the smaller things in life and return to a mundane lifestyle were they find value in their family, neighbors and friends.

Well you just finished my train of thought.

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Don't want to sound like an asshole but I have a feeling a lot of folks nowadyas don't understand the value of spending REAL time with your children. Especially in their formative years.

Some want their cake and eat it too.

Yeah lets have kids and work 60 hour weeks! It'll be fine. I heard about this great daycare center from Graig last Friday when I was on my "me time" weekend.

Cyberpunkd

You’re not seriously expecting parents to spend 100% of their waking hours entertaining or helping their kids, right?

OP doesnt have kids.

Helicopter parents are the worst. The kid needs to learn how to ride a bike. Mom needs some time off too. If the kid is sitting there instead of running around the park, thats on him.

That said, if you are out walking with your kids id probably focus on the kids, but once im in the park i dont want them anywhere around me. go make friends with other kids.
I have two kids.

Guys, I am not talking about giving 100% of your time to the kids, I also point out to mine that daddy and mommy needs "me time" so go scram and play together in your room.

But once I am with my kids it's 100% them, no glances at the portable or things like that.

Cyberpunkd

Don't want to sound like an asshole but I have a feeling a lot of folks nowadyas don't understand the value of spending REAL time with your children. Especially in their formative years.

Yeah lets have kids and work 60 hour weeks! It'll be fine. I heard about this great daycare center from Graig last Friday when I was on my "me time" weekend.
Man, let's be friends, k?

high five breaking bad GIF

Gorgyles

Banned

The neighbors across the street are the worst I've seen.
They have a sweet 2-year old.

They get home from work at 5:30pm
And then drink and hang out for an hour before going and picking her up from daycare.
Then it's dinner and bed and back to daycare first thing in the morning.

Some minimum wage 20 year old is raising that toddler while tending to 14 more.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I don't have children. But then again it's psychology 101 regarding this particular topic.

And again it's inherently complex.

Say so have an abusive father or mother. And are very insightful and intelligent from a young age. You'd prefer your described scenario.

Ideal? Not even close. Better off later in life? Perhaps? So many nuanced aspects play a role in this, again, inherently complex inter personal social etc topic.

Gorgyles Gorgyles

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm with SlimySnake SlimySnake to a degree.

When my son (Age 7) and I go bike ride with one another we're in charge of ourselves.
If he's struggling with something that's fine.

Kids are capable and need the experience of doing hard things and overcoming adversity.
I won't be here to intervene on his behalf forever, so I have to teach him and encourage him now while I can.

Slimy is also right that kids need freedom and can learn so much socially and emotionally by being alone with kids their own age.

But to Cyberpunkd Cyberpunkd 's point...

Parents are checked out. I see it all the time.
Daycare is not a good surrogate parent.
The iPad is not a good surrogate parent.

Parents needs to sacrifice a little and pour themselves into their children.
Teach them. Play with them. Set high expectations of them.
I'm already seeing the rewards of this philosophy in my own child vs many of his peers.

/soapbox
Nah, I get that too. it's a big issue in my marriage because my wife just zones out on her phone while the kids play by themselves or just watch ipad all day. Im like you gotta do more than just feed and bathe the kids but you cant win arguments with women.

I dont do that. When im around kids, i play with them with legos, toys, or just play indoor sports. i do think thats a dad job to be that fun parent who plays baseball, basketball and throws the football around with them. I actually never see moms riding bikes with their kids in my neighborhood. Its almost always dad so either all women are lazy nowadays or its just a man's job to take the kids out for walks to the park and have fun. Gender roles!

I myself had three brothers and we all just kept to ourselves. our mom was too busy with housekeeping and we basically only talked during lunch and dinner or right before we went to sleep. though i dont remember how involved she was when i was still a toddler. dad worked nights so he slept during the day. i still felt like i had loving parents. Ive actually read studies that as long as you are in the house with the kids (i.e., not divorced) thats all that matters. of course, being involved is better for their development but kids just need you to be in the house and present even when you're not actively playing with them. So just the fact that OP is seeing those parents out and about with their kids is good enough. Not perfect but better than parents who are MIA due to work or dates or because they are social beings who are out with their friends every other night.

Last edited:

Jennings

Graig sounds like a real twat, what a horrible name. I hate them already.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
World is full of Craigs.

Btw he just casually mentioned it between swings. Missing ofcourse. Again.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I did not mean to spend time with your kids constantly. What I meant is - once you spend time with your kid you give them your undivided attention.
The thing is nowadays you do end up spending a lot more time with your kids. If I let my 9 year old go off on her bike for 8 hours straight with no idea where she was I would be liable to get a visit from child services, especially if she had stolen some of her moms nail polish remover to go set fires in the rubble of an abandoned factory in the woods down by the river.
And I just don't have the willpower or energy to play Barbie's for more than an hour.
I do get what you are saying, I remember once I was helping my kids on the monkey bars at the park and some girl asked if I could help her, which obviously nowadays I can't, so I said maybe you can get your mom or dad to help you and she just looked off forlornly in the direction of her mother who wasnt paying the slightest attention.

Last edited:

Doom85

I have two kids.

Guys, I am not talking about giving 100% of your time to the kids, I also point out to mine that daddy and mommy needs "me time" so go scram and play together in your room.

But once I am with my kids it's 100% them, no glances at the portable or things like that.

When I was a kid, if we were out and my mom or dad wanted to talk to someone they ran into, I was expected to stand by them and wait until they were done with no interruptions unless it was an emergency. It was called respecting your parents and learning patience.

Facetiming is just that but with someone from a distance. The little shit next to her can wait like I did.

Trunx81

Incredible how parents are nowadays just sit beside their kids with a Smartphone in hand.

At my age, my parents gave me a key, opened the door and said "come back when the street lights ignite". When did this overparenting start?

Doom85

At my age, my parents gave me a key, opened the door and said "come back when the street lights ignite". When did this overparenting start?

Probably as an extreme countermeasure in response to the consequences of what you just described. Overparenting might have issues, but it’s never going to end as badly as, “yeah, just let the kids wander around wherever where we can’t see them, I’m sure that gentleman who’s been driving around here in a white van recently is no cause for alarm…”

Christ, a few counties next to where I live, the cops just arrested a few people running a human trafficking gig. Dunno if the victims (two have been rescued so far IIRC) are kids or older than that, but still, fucking terrifying to think about. And obviously these sorts of dangers have always been out there, it’s just lots of parents in prior generations just never really gave it consideration.

Yeah, I’m not interested in having kids, but if did have one, and we‘re outside, they’re not leaving my line of sight within reason. Christ, the sort of stories you can hear on Reddit and such, it’s terrifying how quickly some of these sick fucks take action once they realize a kid is unsupervised. Probably because they were waiting and keeping watch to see if they would get an opportunity. Hell, one story involved both a man and woman together almost successfully tricking a kid into following them to their car. So even a seemingly innocent couple walking about could be a potential threat. Or even employees too, this one guy talked about how he and his friend barely escaped a dude who actually worked at the zoo who had convinced them to head in the back to “see some of the animals we keep back there”.

Sorry, not to sound super paranoid, most people are decent folks who would never harm a hair of a child or any innocent person, but why take the chance with one of the most important people in your life?

Valedix

I still will never understand why people are choosing to become parents mid 20s, its like you're throwaway half your life.

OP doesnt have kids.

I have a kid and I am totally on the OP's side.

Most parents aren't like this, in my experience. But the ones that are like this are on another level of selfishness.

To deny a child your attention, which is what they are obsessed with to a degree I could never imagine, is the cruellest thing.

And to add: I used to think that kids in supermarket trolleys with their faces jammed up against a phone was something 'I would understand' when I had a kid. No I don't, I judge with the intensity of an Old Testament God on that one.

I in no way think I am a perfect parent and I often have to make an unholy effort to pay attention because they are fucking boring to be around all day long. But next to those parents? Smugness intensifies.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Incredible how parents are nowadays just sit beside their kids with a Smartphone in hand.

Different times different everything.

It's not over parenting as much it's the current zeitgeist forcing parents to be "over" protective.

It's not over parenting as much it's the current zeitgeist forcing parents to be "over" protective.

Yeah I agree that parents are over protective - the cult of safetyism is infuriating. But if you spend enough time in parks and playgrounds and nurseries (uhhh, with a kid of course) you'll see some cases of parents who are just... why even bother having kids if scrolling nail art on Instagram is more interesting to you? And you just feel awful for their kid who just wants to show him mum the cool acorn he just found.

Maybe I'm bitter cos my own kid got smacked in the face by another kid whose mum was on FUCKING TIK TOK of all things and it puts you in a weird position because you want to throw the offender in the pond...

Last edited:

Aesius

The neighbors across the street are the worst I've seen.
They have a sweet 2-year old.

They get home from work at 5:30pm
And then drink and hang out for an hour before going and picking her up from daycare.
Then it's dinner and bed and back to daycare first thing in the morning.

Some minimum wage 20 year old is raising that toddler while tending to 14 more.
My son is in daycare but only goes 3 days a week and from around 9-4 when he does go.

It makes me sad to think that most of his classmates are in there from 7-5 or so 5 days a week. 50+ hours of a daycare a week. Insane. I bet some of the parents would drop them off on weekends if they were open, or they probably have babysitters/grandparents around to watch them.

I was vehemently against daycare in the beginning, but I do think a good one is beneficial to kids provided it isn't literally their second home. My son learns a lot and honestly, he gets more stimulation there than he would at home watching YouTube or something all day.

I guess there are some stay at home parents who have the energy to keep their kids occupied with productive stuff all day long, but it seems impossible to me. My son has the attention span of a gnat....because he's a 2 year old. When it's just me and him, I only have so much energy and focus to give him undivided. Playing with a toddler quickly becomes tedious as hell.

My son is in daycare but only goes 3 days a week and from around 9-4 when he does go.

It makes me sad to think that most of his classmates are in there from 7-5 or so 5 days a week. 50+ hours of a daycare a week. Insane. I bet some of the parents would drop them off on weekends if they were open, or they probably have babysitters/grandparents around to watch them.

I was vehemently against daycare in the beginning, but I do think a good one is beneficial to kids provided it isn't literally their second home. My son learns a lot and honestly, he gets more stimulation there than he would at home watching YouTube or something all day.

I guess there are some stay at home parents who have the energy to keep their kids occupied with productive stuff all day long, but it seems impossible to me. My son has the attention span of a gnat....because he's a 2 year old. When it's just me and him, I only have so much energy and focus to give him undivided. Playing with a toddler quickly becomes tedious as hell.

1 year old was worse for me cos I'd have to sit there and watch him bang blocks of wood together for horus at a time lol. Those Sunday evenings would draaaaggggg....

I confess I do use the TV for an hour a night. We're watching this STEM-focused monster truck thing where there's lots of counting and machinery at the moment so I don't feel too guilty.

My wife can play with him for hours and hours and hours. I don't know how she does it. Pure superpower.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah I agree that parents are over protective - the cult of safetyism is infuriating. But if you spend enough time in parks and playgrounds and nurseries (uhhh, with a kid of course) you'll see some cases of parents who are just... why even bother having kids if scrolling nail art on Instagram is more interesting to you? And you just feel awful for their kid who just wants to show him mum the cool acorn he just found.

Maybe I'm bitter cos my own kid got smacked in the face by another kid whose mum was on FUCKING TIK TOK of all things and it puts you in a weird position because you want to throw the offender in the pond...

That's a scenario where I'll back you up. But that's more about the present day forced upon, yeah I said it, way for people, parent of not to espace reality.

It speals more to the individual person in your scenario rather then anything else.

Although it's all intertwined. Btw I would've got in her face and told her what's up. Easy go say I know. Sorry to hear man...

👊🏼

Last edited:

Trunx81

Disclaimer: I´m over protective myself. Got a 7 year old daughter with a rare genetic disease that involves a global retardation (she acts like she´s 2 or 3, with huge speech disorder).

What I wanted to point out, in a probably too sarcastic way: Parents before smartphones used to hang out on kidsground, talking to each other and not really monitoring what was happening (beside the typical "don´t throw sand ad Justin, Luise, he will only eat it again!" and taking care of small knee wounds by blowing on them).

Christ, a few counties next to where I live, the cops just arrested a few people running a human trafficking gig. Dunno if the victims (two have been rescued so far IIRC) are kids or older than that, but still, fucking terrifying to think about. And obviously these sorts of dangers have always been out there, it’s just lots of parents in prior generations just never really gave it consideration.
Remember the song "Runaway train" by Soul Asylum? Was the first time as a kid that I heard of these kind of things happening. All the faces on the milk bags in the video traumatized me as a kid, although I grew up in a safe neighborhood in the 90s. During the 80s, my parents took us to South America and I remember well how my brother and I roamed the streets on our BMX bycicles, not caring about dangers or anything. Maybe we were just lucky.

Amory

Parents are waiting until much later in life to have kids, and by that point have gotten very used to putting themselves first. It's a hard mindset to break. Particularly when coupled with our addiction to tech / social media / our phones.

Being a new parent myself, I'm more understanding when I see stuff like this. You don't know what the rest of their day looks like. Maybe they're very attentive parents but you caught them in a lazy moment.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Disclaimer: I´m over protective myself. Got a 7 year old daughter with a rare genetic disease that involves a global retardation (she acts like she´s 2 or 3, with huge speech disorder).

What I wanted to point out, in a probably too sarcastic way: Parents before smartphones used to hang out on kidsground, talking to each other and not really monitoring what was happening (beside the typical "don´t throw sand ad Justin, Luise, he will only eat it again!" and taking care of small knee wounds by blowing on them).

Remember the song "Runaway train" by Soul Asylum? Was the first time as a kid that I heard of these kind of things happening. All the faces on the milk bags in the video traumatized me as a kid, although I grew up in a safe neighborhood in the 90s. During the 80s, my parents took us to South America and I remember well how my brother and I roamed the streets on our BMX bycicles, not caring about dangers or anything. Maybe we were just lucky.

First of all I sympathize with your situation. An ex FWB had a 13 year old autistic son that can't speak and much more/worse. So yeah. Again I sympathize. With all my heart.

In my humble opinion plus I don't have kids on my own makes me wary to respond so as to not imply anything since I don't know shit after all.

Just saying. Times are a changing. For kids and adults alike.

You among other seem to see and acknowledge this. And in the end it's you and your kids. Be glad you're not that iPhone woman. And it's oke to be frustrated in such a situation. That means your eyes are open.

And you know what. Without going into details, being alone or with friends around that, yeah, those were lucky at the time..

Some not so much (!)

And that still hold true anno 2023.

Last edited:

Mamofish

I still will never understand why people are choosing to become parents mid 20s, its like you're throwaway half your life.

It's a later life tradeoff, kids moved out and have freedom in early 40's or in my case.. kids at 35 and have time late 50's

Last edited:

Aesius

Parents are waiting until much later in life to have kids, and by that point have gotten very used to putting themselves first. It's a hard mindset to break. Particularly when coupled with our addiction to tech / social media / our phones.

Being a new parent myself, I'm more understanding when I see stuff like this. You don't know what the rest of their day looks like. Maybe they're very attentive parents but you caught them in a lazy moment.
This is so damn true. I struggled mightily with it the first year or so of my son's life. I wanted nothing more some days than to just retreat into my office and play games or browse the web or whatever undisturbed. I had been doing that for the past 15 years. No one to really answer to, and my gf/now wife didn't care either.

I finally learned that I can still do those things, just not as frequently as before. My wife and I will be give each other an hour or two on weekends to do whatever we want, so between kids napping, getting the hour or two, and then evenings, we actually have a lot of time to ourselves.

As my son has gotten older, I've also started enjoying just hanging out with him more. He was a fussy baby and it was brutal to be home alone with him for 7-8 hours if my wife had a weekend shift, but now at nearly 2.5, we can watch movies together, go to the park, play outside, etc.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
.Here's the list of things in life that are important as a parent:

1. Time you spend with your kids
2. Not important

Why TF is this so difficult to understand?
1. We spend enough time with the wee cunts, pretty much every fucking waking hour bar work and sleep, excuse me for wanting a few minutes me time, either to browse this website or laugh at WhatsApp group memes from mates we all use to hang out with but don't cause kids take up all our fucking time!!!
2. You can tell youre not a fucking parent and if you are, you're one of those wierd ass hippy love cunts they make TV shows about the rest of us laugh at in the 30mins we have between putting the kids to bed and going to sleep..

You don't know what goes on in the daily lives of people and their kids or their dynamics, why tf is this so difficult to understand?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's what happens when the generation raised on everyday electronics is now raising children of their own. There is a reason why toy sales are down so bad. Parents don't want to parent and are just shoving an iPad or a playstation in front of their kids to keep them occupied without needing much interaction.

But it's not this generation of parents that you need to worry about. Imagine the kind of parents the latest generation will be after being raised by the average millennial or Zoomer.

Winter John

Gold Member
Well shit I must be a terrible parent too because I made my daughter walk home from school the other day after she cussed me out for being late. I took her crap up until she said something like you know, you could at least pretend to care. That was when I told her to get the fuck out my car, threw 10 dollars out the window and drove off. She's got my temper so I make allowances for it but there's a limit. When I was a kid I was lucky if my old man drove me to school or picked me up once a year. If I asked for a ride anywhere his reply was always, ya got legs don't ya.

Kabelly

Well shit I must be a terrible parent too because I made my daughter walk home from school the other day after she cussed me out for being late. I took her crap up until she said something like you know, you could at least pretend to care. That was when I told her to get the fuck out my car, threw 10 dollars out the window and drove off. She's got my temper so I make allowances for it but there's a limit. When I was a kid I was lucky if my old man drove me to school or picked me up once a year. If I asked for a ride anywhere his reply was always, ya got legs don't ya.
so you abandoned your child in the street

im so glad im never having kids

Top Bottom