• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the heck am I supposed to do in Myst?!

supernova8

Banned
So I bought Myst (VR) for the Oculus Quest 2 and I just started playing it. I never really played the original as a kid (back when it was on PC) but I am completely dumbfounded. I just spent the last 20 minutes or so getting absolutely nowhere. Wondering around aimlessly flipping switches. I read half way through one of the books in the main tower building thing about the dude who met the tree-dwelling creatures but it doesn't look like there are any clues in there. I also tried the sequence of switches that's behind the little hole in the wall that opens up using the other book but that didn't seem to do anything.

I assume there are clues somewhere to what I'm supposed to do but maybe I just haven't played one of these puzzles games in so long...? Or is it just that brutal and does not give any clues at all?

Am I the odd one out or does/did everyone else feel the same way when they first played Myst?

I'm not actually looking for full-on guides/walkthroughs etc. otherwise I'd just watch something on Youtube.., but can I anyone give me a vague/subtle yet still actionable hint as to how to get the ball rolling?

Sorry for the disjointed post. I like to think I'm on the more intelligent side of humanity but I'm losing my shit here.

Last edited:

Altares13th

I guess the more optimised way would be to visit all the puzzles on the island and try to figure out what you need to do to in order to unlock them. Then, roam around looking for clues with those puzzles in mind.
It's not like 'modern games' where the character tells you explicitly the solution (almost), or where to look.
I suppose you're finding it hard because it seems like you can solve any of the puzzles on the main island in no particular order (I can't remember if that's true though - I played it back then).
All I can tell you is that Myst was considered a simple game. I think we solved it, my brother and I in about 3 days. So don't give up, it's definitely doable.
The next one in the franchise was a different story. Riven, I was stuck for about a month but I solved it eventually and was very proud of it (except for 1 very simple puzzle involving a door which frustrated me a lot because it was obvious).
Good luck :messenger_bicep:

EDIT:

BTW, if you played 'The Witness', believe me that game is way way harder than Myst.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Speaking of puzzle games, what was that block pushing game by Atlus? Of note, I hated falling in that game because it felt like you never hit the ground.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I guess the more optimised way would be to visit all the puzzles on the island and try to figure out what you need to do to in order to unlock them. Then, roam around looking for clues with those puzzles in mind.
It's not like 'modern games' where the character tells you explicitly the solution (almost), or where to look.
I suppose you're finding it hard because it seems like you can solve any of the puzzles on the main island in no particular order (I can't remember if that's true though - I played it back then).
All I can tell you is that Myst was considered a simple game. I think we solved it, my brother and I in about 3 days. So don't give up, it's definitely doable.
The next one in the franchise was a different story. Riven, I was stuck for about a month but I solved it eventually and was very proud of it (except for 1 very simple puzzle involving a door which frustrated me a lot because it was obvious).
Good luck :messenger_bicep:
I think at the start it gave me an option to do randomized or in the 1993 order and I choose 1993 order.

I suppose normally I would play it (outside of VR) and be writing stuff down on a piece of paper but in VR I feel like I have to carry the damn book around with me. But I haven't worked out how to store books in a sort of inventory (unless there isn't an inventory system).

I just saw from the video posted by someone else that there's a note on the floor outside so I think I'll look at that later on tonight and see if I move forward. Also thanks for the encouragement haha! I actually grew up with stuff on the PS1, mega drive etc. so I am/was mildly used to games that don't completely hold your hand, but this feels like a whole different level of "you're on your own mate".

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
travolta GIF

Me playing

supernova8

Banned
Speaking of puzzle games, what was that block pushing game by Atlus? Of note, I hated falling in that game because it felt like you never hit the ground.

Clapping Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah just saw it in a video (turned it off as soon as it popped up). Wish I'd seen your comment first!

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I played Myst when I was about 10 and had absolutely no idea what I was doing, gave up after two hours of getting nowhere and used a walkthrough. Be interesting to see how far I get now, I don't remember a thing about it.

supernova8

Banned
I played Myst when I was about 10 and had absolutely no idea what I was doing, gave up after two hours of getting nowhere and used a walkthrough. Be interesting to see how far I get now, I don't remember a thing about it.

I suppose you could call it one of the original "escape room" type games before it became a popular thing (in the real world) a few years back.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That’s kind of the whole point. You need to figure that out. Telling you what to do would be taking the whole enjoyment away.

ShadowNate

I thought that the newer versions of Myst had some kind of hint system integrated in the game. If this one has that, perhaps give it a go.

Connxtion

I raised the boat first time by accident 😂 wasn’t even trying. Not sure what to do after mind 🤷‍♂️

The metal ship, I broke the power puzzle it seems 🤷‍♂️ As I can’t make the ship get power anymore.

Bar that I haven’t a clue what to do 😂

ShadowNate

Both games (Myst and Riven) are solvable without a guide.

Myst is actually really easy, once you figure out the general idea (what the game expects you to do to progress). Riven is more difficult, but it has way better puzzle and world design -- it is more fun when you figure something out in Riven.

Last edited:
Myst you have to choose the red blue or white pill (books).

Riven only has two puzzles. The animal stone circle and the color marble grid. Everything on that island is to figure those out.

Last edited:

ViolentP

So I bought Myst (VR) for the Oculus Quest 2 and I just started playing it. I never really played the original as a kid (back when it was on PC) but I am completely dumbfounded. I just spent the last 20 minutes or so getting absolutely nowhere. Wondering around aimlessly flipping switches. I read half way through one of the books in the main tower building thing about the dude who met the tree-dwelling creatures but it doesn't look like there are any clues in there. I also tried the sequence of switches that's behind the little hole in the wall that opens up using the other book but that didn't seem to do anything.

I assume there are clues somewhere to what I'm supposed to do but maybe I just haven't played one of these puzzles games in so long...? Or is it just that brutal and does not give any clues at all?

Am I the odd one out or does/did everyone else feel the same way when they first played Myst?

I'm not actually looking for full-on guides/walkthroughs etc. otherwise I'd just watch something on Youtube.., but can I anyone give me a vague/subtle yet still actionable hint as to how to get the ball rolling?

Sorry for the disjointed post. I like to think I'm on the more intelligent side of humanity but I'm losing my shit here.
I envy what you are going through right now.

Both games (Myst and Riven) are solvable without a guide.

Myst is actually really easy, once you figure out the general idea (what the game expects you to do to progress). Riven is more difficult, but it has way better puzzle and world design -- it is more fun when you figure something out in Riven.

This is how I did it. I went a summer playing through the first 4 games with nothing more than a new notebook and a pen. By the time I was done, that book looked like it belonged to a serial murderer.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I think at the start it gave me an option to do randomized or in the 1993 order and I choose 1993 order.

I suppose normally I would play it (outside of VR) and be writing stuff down on a piece of paper but in VR I feel like I have to carry the damn book around with me. But I haven't worked out how to store books in a sort of inventory (unless there isn't an inventory system).

I just saw from the video posted by someone else that there's a note on the floor outside so I think I'll look at that later on tonight and see if I move forward. Also thanks for the encouragement haha! I actually grew up with stuff on the PS1, mega drive etc. so I am/was mildly used to games that don't completely hold your hand, but this feels like a whole different level of "you're on your own mate".
That note is the first clue and will get you going in the right direction. It will take you to a room with a halogram machine where you can watch a short video from the person who discovered/created the world you are in and see a halogram of devices that you need to activate to power up the island.

The red and blue books in the library are key and you need to fill those books with pages. Maybe each book in the bookcase represents a world/age that you need to visit to find those pages. 😎

The 1993 solutions or randomized solutions just refers to the puzzle solutions, not the order of the locations you visit.

kiphalfton

Catherine? Been meaning to play that game (assuming that is what you're talking about).

I tried getting into the Talos Principle but there was way too much reading.

Kuranghi

Can someone please hit me with a comically over-sized frying pan so I can forget playing Myst + sequels (and The Witness, someone in this thread mentioned it and now thats on my mind too) and play them again:

lost matthew fox GIF

Kuranghi

Catherine? Been meaning to play that game (assuming that is what you're talking about).

I tried getting into the Talos Principle but there was way too much reading.

You can just skip past all that, by spamming keys if you want, its not essential to the puzzle element of the game and even though it will guide you to the true ending of the game, you can also get there by just looking for more puzzles to solve instead of going through the obvious "ending door".

I'm replaying it now and having a good time, I suggest a revisit but ignore the terminals if you don't like that part of it.

Top Bottom