• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What The Hell Happened To Rambo Games?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

What could have possibly happened to stop an IP like Rambo? One so tailor-made for video games? What the hell happened to Rambo games?

rambo GIF

Last edited:

Stuart360

I have always thought how a Rambo FPS could be pretty entertaining. Have Sly voice the character, maybe open world set in Vietnam where you liberate camps in side missions, do covert missions like taking pictures where you have to ue stealth. Main missions which is a mixture of both with huge firefights againt impossible odds etc.

I'd buy it.

frogger

I bought the Rambo game on Xbox 360, it only came out in Europe. And it is atrocious. There were two great Rambo arcade games, one by Konami called Devastator and the other by Taito, and I forgot the game. I put so many quarters in them.

CamHostage

Funny, when people say that there should be Rambo games, what they mean is that there should be Rambo: First Blood Part II games.

(*Kind of like when they say there should be Alien games, they usually mean "Aliens", not "Alien", which was one of the hurdles Alien Isolation had to get over.)

The original First Blood was an amazing film (and would maybe make a cool stealth game, like Isolation,) but it's not what people picture when they think Rambo. Rambo III was kind of garbage (though it's got horses and caves and stuff that would be game-like, if people liked wargames in the desert.) Rambo IV was a great film with a gobstopping final battle, but nothing of the first hour was game-like at all. And Rambo V was just tragic (though I guess you could make a Deathtrap Dungeon game?) Rambo somehow became an icon from one film in five, and the whole point of Rambo got lost because Rambo 2 had an awesome explosive bow that shot down a HUEY.

...They should just bring back Ikari Warriors if there's a want for Rambo games. It's Rambo+Rambo.

latest

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
ZiVFmk7.jpg

RAMBO Videogame PLS

Think about it.

MGSV: Combat: pick/plan mission + loadout, landing zones & extraction points..
Death Stranding: Traversal element
MGS3: Stealth/Survival

FFFFUUUUU

From the KojiPro next game announcement thread. =) I distinctly remember telling a friend MGSV was a Rambo simulator lol

Last edited:

CamHostage

I think people just got over the Rambo franchise in general

Maybe?
It's an unbalanced franchise trying to be both a war movie and anti-war movie at the same time, and I think they actually achieve that goal here and there (First Blood and Rambo IV, maybe Rambo II although you kind of forget the sad/angry parts when so much shit is blowing up) but it's not a solid batting average. Also, it's so tied to Stallone, and Rocky is truly Stallone's everlasting legacy, there may not be room for both.

...You know what franchise these goddamned people never say should be a video game franchise is COMMANDO!

I'm picturing a roguelike where you start in a woodshed stocked with sawblades and bowie knives and for some reason also Remington shotguns and Valmet M78s and FLASH four-barrel rocket launchers, & you'd just see how far you could get blowing up terrorists in mansions and jumping off shopping mall elevator roofs and dropping sleazebags into ravines, but also it'd be a roguelike where you can't actually die because you're fucking Schwarzenegger...

Arnold-Commando.jpg

(*Also, yes, I know there's already a game called Commando. Which, BTW, is basically another Rambo.)

Last edited:
Funny, when people say that there should be Rambo games, what they mean is that there should be Rambo: First Blood Part II games.

(*Kind of like when they say there should be Alien games, they usually mean "Aliens", not "Alien", which was one of the hurdles Alien Isolation had to get over.)

The original First Blood was an amazing film (and would maybe make a cool stealth game, like Isolation,) but it's not what people picture when they think Rambo. Rambo III was kind of garbage (though it's got horses and caves and stuff that would be game-like, if people liked wargames in the desert.) Rambo IV was a great film with a gobstopping final battle, but nothing of the first hour was game-like at all. And Rambo V was just tragic (though I guess you could make a Deathtrap Dungeon game?) Rambo somehow became an icon from one film in five, and the whole point of Rambo got lost because Rambo 2 had an awesome explosive bow that shot down a HUEY.

...They should just bring back Ikari Warriors if there's a want for Rambo games. It's Rambo+Rambo.

latest
I'd like a first blood game, I fucking loved the film when I was a kid.

TheMan

Maybe?
It's an unbalanced franchise trying to be both a war movie and anti-war movie at the same time, and I think they actually achieve that goal here and there (First Blood and Rambo IV, maybe Rambo II although you kind of forget the sad/angry parts when so much shit is blowing up) but it's not a solid batting average. Also, it's so tied to Stallone, and Rocky is truly Stallone's everlasting legacy, there may not be room for both.

...You know what franchise these goddamned people never say should be a video game franchise is COMMANDO!

I'm picturing a roguelike where you start in a woodshed stocked with sawblades and bowie knives and for some reason also Remington shotguns and Valmet M78s and FLASH four-barrel rocket launchers, & you'd just see how far you could get blowing up terrorists in mansions and jumping off shopping mall elevator roofs and dropping sleazebags into ravines, but also it'd be a roguelike where you can't actually die because you're fucking Schwarzenegger...

Arnold-Commando.jpg

(*Also, yes, I know there's already a game called Commando. Which, BTW, is basically another Rambo.)
Lol Commando is more forgotten than Rambo.

You know, I think another reason why these properties aren't used more often is because they don't need to be. A lone soldier taking down an army is pretty much par for the course for a lot of action games so paying money for these licenses 1. costs money that probably won't add much to the bottom line and 2. appeals to a smaller segment of the gaming population. Certainly the tastemakers are too young to give a fuck about Rambo (or Commando) so why not just start with a blank slate that appeals to the younger folk? That might end up being a bit too "woke" for some folks but hey, that's the way the winds are blowing.

Tuff McNutt

The character was already a parody of itself by the time III came out and is even more so now with Stallone being in his 70's. Combined with the whole idea of the character being "problematic" (whether that has any validity or not) combined with the money Stallone would want probably makes it a losing proposition.

I do still like Rambo on the SMS and Rambo III on Genesis though and there was a pretty fun light gun game (with huge machine guns) that I played at Gameworks a few years back.

CamHostage

You know, I think another reason why these properties aren't used more often is because they don't need to be. A lone soldier taking down an army is pretty much par for the course for a lot of action games so paying money for these licenses.

Sure. Aside from stealth-hamburgering soldiers in a jeep and maybe jumping out of an in-flight 747 wheelwell, basically every setpiece from all these 80s action movies has been ripped off somewhere in a CoD or a Far Cry or something along those lines. (There must be a rear-mounted rocket launcher ala Delta Force somewhere in Just Cause, right?)

stranno

Imo, the on rails shooter was perfecly fine. Graphics were alright and gameplay was cool, you even had different camera angles and bow sections. To be honest, it was FAR better than Blue Estate.

I uploaded the first playthrough of the game to Youtube, three or four hours after it was released on Steam.

My only complain would be the WASD prompts for QTEs, that combination is just beyond me.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Because the SJW’s would “cancel” it immediately. A Whote male American goes into some jungle and single handedly wipes out a foreign army? Yeah, that would fly with these crybaby pansies today.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Metal Gear and Nu-Tomb Raider already captured the Rambo experience better than any actual Rambo games.

That said I'd still welcome an attempt at a definitive Rambo game.
I never thought about that before. Replace Lara with Rambo in the new trilogy (including his full personality and that’s a great game!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Rambo: The Video Game is an arcade-style rail shooter video game developed by Polish studio Teyon and published by Reef Entertainment.[2] The game is based on the Rambo franchise and puts the player in the role of John Rambo as he journeys through scenes from each of the three films: First Blood (1982), Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985) and Rambo III (1988).

A teaser trailer was released by Machinima, containing montages from the films.[3] The game was originally set to release in winter 2013, but was eventually delayed to early 2014.[1] The game was panned by professional critics, who criticized the poor quality of the graphics, the repetitive nature of the gameplay, and the overall lack of polish.

Top Bottom