• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell was Sony thinking with the PS Vita memory situation? (What the hell was I thinking with making this thread?)

No way someone would put out a $200+ proprietary storage solution for a current-gen console, right?

• Yes

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Uh

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Hm...

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Not gonna say any names, but...

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • (Not A Choice): Just reminder I'm taking the piss out of an argument here, I like all the consoles.

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
Let’s make an endless number of threads that are all designed in one way or another to take the piss out of and bash Sony, try and be really clever about it, and hope the mods don't realize I'm wasting server-side storage space for these kind of threads.

I remember coming close to making a genuine thread, like really close, then I looked at my username (well, my profile pic). That killed my enthusiasm immediately. Just utterly moronic, my thread would've struggled regardless but it didn't have to be as bad as it is.

---------

Yes, this is a parody. If you want to know of what, look for the clues. They're right in front of you and your Royale with Cheese.

Crayon

tumblr_mc2ifmIyi01qb1wpgo1_500.gifv

cireza

I have been alright with a 32 GB card on Vita. Never needed more. I have a dozen of games on cartridges and still have space remaining on my Memory card.

So that's not too bad.

Yes, I made a serious answer to the thread. I also have a Seagate expansion for my Series X.

DaGwaphics

@ thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best this isn't your typical thread. LOL

At any rate the expansion drive isn't like the Vita situation, those cards were up to 3x the price of SD cards of similar performance at launch. $99 for 32GB if I remember correctly, with the same size SD card around $36.

The clever console warriors forget that the price of the drive is tied to the costs of its components. And smaller 2230 & 2242 1TB drives are still quite expensive today and were more expensive at launch.

There will also be some cost for the housing etc. Seagate and MS are doing ok on these, but it isn't highway robbery like the Vita cards. Not to mention the CFExpress cards this is based off of are slower and even more expensive. A complete swing and a miss with the thread premise in that regard.

With that said. I would like to get a 1TB card and am hoping for a price cut soon. LOL

I Hope Please GIF

Last edited:
That shit is still expensive...

These things must also be collector's items for an extreme niche, like the Vita itself.

@ thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best this isn't your typical thread. LOL

At any rate the expansion drive isn't like the Vita situation, those cards were up to 3x the price of SD cards of similar performance at launch. $99 for 32GB if I remember correctly, with the same size SD card around $36.

The clever console warriors forget that the price of the drive is tied to the costs of its components. And smaller 2230 & 2242 1TB drives are still quite expensive today and were more expensive at launch.

There will also be some cost for the housing etc. Seagate and MS are doing ok on these, but it isn't highway robbery like the Vita cards. Not to mention the CFExpress cards this is based off of are slower and even more expensive. A complete swing and a miss with this one.

With that said. I would like to get a 1TB card and am hoping for a price cut soon. LOL

Sorry bro, it's just seeing "that" thread, knowing the tendencies of that user there, it was bound to happen.

The Vita card thing was totally stupid, but the expansion cards for S/X right now isn't much better IMO. Surely there was a way they could've made for a smaller swappable internal SSD if devices like the Steam Deck can use them. The speeds for MS's are a bit on the more conservative side, too, so that's already less heat, less cooling required.

In the long run I don't think it was the best decision, especially since all next-gen only games are going to require install on internal drive or expansion card to run. You'll always be paying a premium for them relative performance, compared to 3P options other systems allow.

It’s not only that they fucked up the prices. My 64gb card (yes! I bought one) is currently showing every game as corrupted. Time to move to SD …
I also bought the 64GB card. You mean they go bad or just need to redownload?
Can we redownload?

DaGwaphics

Surely there was a way they could've made for a smaller swappable internal SSD if devices like the Steam Deck can use them.

Small NVMes are simply more expensive to produce and there is a smaller market for them. There's a reason why the storage capacities on the deck models are what they are.

Compared to 2280 drives of similar performance the expansion cards feel too expensive, and are in need of reduction IMO. But, there is a difference in costs between 2230 and 2280 drives, that's just reality.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Small NVMes are simply more expensive to produce and there is a smaller market for them. There's a reason why the storage capacities on the deck models are what they are.

Compared to 2280 drives of similar performance the expansion cards feel too expensive, and are in need of reduction IMO. But, there is a difference in costs between 2230 and 2280 drives, that's just reality.

Come on, dude. There is more to it than that. Seagate is the sole source for these. They have no reason to drop the price. That's Microsoft's doing.

DaGwaphics

Come on, dude. There is more to it than that. Seagate is the sole source for these. They have no reason to drop the price. That's Microsoft's doing.

Show me the 2230 1TB drives (in new condition from reputable retailers) that are as cheap as 2280 drives. It is what it is.

Topher

Gold Member
Show me the 2230 1TB drives (in new condition from reputable retailers) that are as cheap as 2280 drives. It is what it is.

This would work just fine.

But we've already seen examples showing us that 2280 works fine with consoles as well. It is what it is.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This would work just fine.

And look at the price per GB there vs. comparable 2280 drives. That's what I'm saying (though 2230 drives are even a bit more expensive than 2242).

There is a markup on the proprietary drive, no doubt. But it isn't nearly as outrageous as it first appears when comparing the drives to 2280.

Topher

Gold Member
And look at the price per GB there vs. comparable 2280 drives. That's what I'm saying (though 2230 drives are even a bit more expensive than 2242).

There is a markup on the proprietary drive, no doubt. But it isn't nearly as outrageous as it first appears when comparing the drives to 2280.

No, what is outrageous is that we are coming up on two years and the MSRP hasn't budge a bit.

I fucking hated the storage prices for the Vita, I had to factor it when buying games, among other things it really brought the platform down.

By far the most offensive part about the Series consoles are the options someone has to expand storage, specially when you consider it for someone that own a Series S, what a massive ripoff.

DaGwaphics

I fucking hated the storage prices for the Vita, I had to factor it when buying games, among other things it really brought the platform down.

By far the most offensive part about the Series consoles are the options someone has to expand storage, specially when you consider it for someone that own a Series S, what a massive ripoff.

Cold storage on a HDD is your friend.

HDD? Come on. That's like saying that Vita storage solution was fine, you just had to learn how to juggle games. Even if you like the series consoles it's pretty obvious how terrible the solution for expanding the storage is. Truly embarrassing when compared to what Sony has done, MS was completely outclassed in that regard and I'm surprised that "consumer friendly" MS keeps insisting on it, people must be falling for it I guess.

This is what I don't get about Xbox fans, why make excuses for things like AAA batteries and storage expansion rip-offs? Call them out when they come up short and they'll have an incentive to improve at least.

Last edited:
I gave up on external HDD. I used a 5TB on my Series X for the first few months and stuff on external does not seem to update automatically unless you use it. So It's better to just fill your SSD with whatever games your playing and delete.
Everytime I wanted to play an old game It had some update that needed to download anyway. So might as well just redownload. 1TB expansion and whatever is left internal is good enough for me.
But why are the expansion cards still so dang expensive?

DaGwaphics

HDD? That like saying that Vita storage solution was fine, you just had to learn how to juggle games. Even if you like the series consoles it's pretty obvious how terrible the solution for expanding the storage is. Truly embarrassing when compared to what Sony has done, completely outclassed.

LOL.

They simply designed different solutions. MS decided on a portable, hot-swappable drive, Sony did not. MS has never supported any user expansion that involves opening the chassis, Sony has no problem with that. Different approaches.

SkylineRKR

Yes proprietary storage sucked ass and still does. Original PS1 memorycards were overpriced and only offered 15 blocks. The problem was, cheap ass third party cards did exist but corrupted a lot of my saves.

But with aftermarket HDD, I never had an issue with my PS3. It was great to just grab a 320gb for idk 70 or so bucks and call it day. The 360 120gb HDD was just pathetic, it was offered for 120 bucks lol. Right now you can get 1tb for PS5 for about 130 bucks, while Series expansion will cost you twice as much.

LOL.

They simply designed different solutions. MS decided on a portable, hot-swappable drive, Sony did not. MS has never supported any user expansion that involves opening the chassis, Sony has no problem with that. Different approaches.
They simply designed a much worse solution and got outclassed once again. They never supported user expansion that involves opening the chassis? Embarrassing, how is that an excuse?

When selling your console and buying a more expensive one to expand your storage makes more sense than buying the storage solution they came up with it obvious that it was a terrible solution.

Hot-swappable memory cards? Laughable, what year is this?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I gave up on external HDD. I used a 5TB on my Series X for the first few months and stuff on external does not seem to update automatically unless you use it. So It's better to just fill your SSD with whatever games your playing and delete.
Everytime I wanted to play an old game It had some update that needed to download anyway. So might as well just redownload. 1TB expansion and whatever is left internal is good enough for me.
But why are the expansion cards still so dang expensive?

Must be your drive. I get updates for games stored on my HDD all the time. Maybe your drive needed more than the system turning on to wake up. 🤷‍♂️

Most mass produced products don't support/encourage opening the chassis. LOL That's the standard.
Lmao, have you heard of laptops, consoles, PCs? Dude, just have some self respect and stop defending this, there is no excuse to how poorly thought it was to the point it seem like they did it on purpose with the intent to rip people off.

This has always been a problem with MS consoles, they cut too much costs to the detriment of their product, they can't even bother to include a rechargeable battery in their controller to this day and make it as bare bones as possible. They did it with the 360, with the One, did it again with the Series, it backfired every single time. Sometimes it makes sense for the manufacture to just take the loss an add a basic feature or functionality instead of coming up with stuff like this to save up a few bucks.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

IF you use them yes. But if your game is in cold storage the stuff sitting there does not get updated.

I don't know, I have updates that get installed for games that I haven't touched in a year or better.

Edit: Are you noticing this with X Series native software on the HDD? I mostly have X1 software on there, maybe that is the difference.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Lmao, have you heard of laptops, consoles, PCs? Dude, just have some self respect and stop defending this.

You do realize what a small percentage those are of all manufactured products. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The standard is you don't open it. Even most mass produced PCs will include warranties that are completely voided the second you remove the side panel.

You do realize what a small percentage those are of all manufactured products. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The standard is you don't open it. Even most mass produced PCs will include warranties that are completely voided the second you remove the side panel.
You must be buying some really fucked up PCs and laptops if your warranty is voided by changing storage.

Again, how would that even be an excuse if Sony of all companies has already done it for so long with zero problems? This was already solved on the PS3, while MS was making it much harder then it needed to be trying to sell proprietary storage.

What is the obsession MS has with not allowing people to easily upgrade storage and with AAA batteries?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

You must be buying some really fucked up PCs and laptops if your warranty is voided by changing storage.

I haven't bought a mass produced desktop recently, but it was standard policy across HP, Dell, Acer, etc. that the warranty was voided if the tamper proof stickers on the side panel were removed. Didn't matter what you did when you were in there. If you ruined the sticker, you had no warranty.

I haven't bought a mass produced desktop recently, but it was standard policy across HP, Dell, Acer, etc. that the warranty was voided if the tamper proof stickers on the side panel were removed. Didn't matter what you did when you were in there. If you ruined the sticker, you had no warranty.
There we have it, about as well thought-out and advanced as a Dell Desktop.

Last edited:

anothertech

Let’s make an endless number of threads that are all designed in one way or another to take the piss out of and bash Sony, try and be really clever about it, and hope the mods don't realize I'm wasting server-side storage space for these kind of threads.

I remember coming close to making a genuine thread, like really close, then I looked at my username (well, my profile pic). That killed my enthusiasm immediately. Just utterly moronic, my thread would've struggled regardless but it didn't have to be as bad as it is.

---------

Yes, this is a parody. If you want to know of what, look for the clues. They're right in front of you and your Royale with Cheese.
Did you lose your avatar bet too? lolol

LOL.

Such an incredibly reasonable answer. Different approaches that offer different features. I've been able to take a large part of my gaming library to my friend's house with the Seagate drive. There is no way I'd pull my PS5 apart to take out an NVME and use it on his PS5. I don't think it's even a possibility. Even talking costs MS offers cheaper games and no upgrade fees so again each company is offering different options for their customers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom