• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What type of gamer are you? (Poll)

What five areas do you score highest on?

• Excitement (action)

• Destruction (action)

• Competition (social)

• Community (social)

• Challenge (mastery)

• Strategy (mastery)

• Completion (achievement)

• Power (achievement)

• Discovery (creativity)

• Design (creativity)

• Fantasy (immersion)

• Story (immersion)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Model-Overview.png

A group by the name of Quantic Foundry created a poll to classify gamers motivational profiles. Basically, they try to identify what aspects of games you're drawn to play. Scroll down to "Take the survey".

Note: They say the poll takes 5 - 7 minutes. It took me ~60 seconds. Just make sure to skip the first few slides as they don't influence the results and they're the biggest time sink.

Here's a 30 minute presentation if you're interested:

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Your Quantic Gamer Type :​

ACROBAT​

Player Type Image
Gamer Type Motto:
"Flexing My Reflexes."
Your primary (dominant) player type is the Acrobat.
Acrobats are solo gamers who primarily want to take on challenging gameplay and they want to practice over and over again until they can take on the most difficult missions and bosses in the game.

Qek94cy.png

j9HrrcT.png

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This thing asked me duplicate questions like six times and the result was bollocks. I think the range of stuff I play is way too broad to answer this well.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
mmmm….I don’t know, I enjoy games like Monster Hunter and Souls games that are not cutscenes heavy story but at the same time I also highly enjoy games like Ace Attorney, 13 Sentinels and AI: The Somnium Files that are story heavy games….I don’t know how would you categorize that!?

Last edited:

Iorveth

Banned
Just the regular women-hating, anti-semitic, Nazi kind.
Oh, in terms of games? I don't really play them nowadays because of all the minorities in the trailers. My preferred games are without the minorities in the trailers.

On a serious note, I guess I'm the immersion kind. Atmosphere is probably the most important aspect but I have pleny of exceptions.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
GARDENER / BOUNTY HUNTER
The question's were shit

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
SKIRMISHER / ACROBAT
Player Type Image
Skirmisher-Acrobat.png

Gamer Type Mottos:

Skirmisher: "Jumping Into the Fray of Battle."

Acrobat: "Flexing My Reflexes."

Your primary (dominant) player type is the Skirmisher, but you also lean towards a secondary player type, the Acrobat.

Skirmishers want fast-paced team arenas that are accessible and easy to jump into. They are highly spontaneous gamers who dislike games that require thinking and planning.

Acrobats are solo gamers who primarily want to take on challenging gameplay and they want to practice over and over again until they can take on the most difficult missions and bosses in the game.

Wildebeest

Turns out I'm an Acrobat/Bard.

My highest score was for strategy, but they don't call me an "architect", or strategy gamer, for some reason. Maybe because I don't hate online or action enough, so don't fit their profile, I don't really get it. They are right that I prefer fantasy to story in games. I tune out for "plot" text and cutscenes, but world building and character building I'm there for. And destruction vs excitement I much prefer FPS to fighting games, so they predicted that right.

SKIRMISHER / GLADIATOR

Skirmisher-Gladiator.png

Skirmisher: "Jumping Into the Fray of Battle."

Gladiator: "Dedicated, Hardcore Gaming."

Your primary (dominant) player type is the Skirmisher, but you also lean towards a secondary player type, the Gladiator.

Skirmishers want fast-paced team arenas that are accessible and easy to jump into. They are highly spontaneous gamers who dislike games that require thinking and planning.

Gladiators are competitive gamers who are more likely to identify as hardcore, and they want games to engage them using a broad spectrum of features. They are looking for an epic, skill-based experience in the games they play.

*Seems about right for me, I enjoy light RPG, mostly FPS/platforming, playing with teammates/chatting and go more for PvE/PvP stuff over drawn out solo story games. I don't play uber competitive but I like a game to be skill based.

Banned
this survey is complete nonsense, they equate story/narrative with immersion lol, what a joke.
because I don't care about story lines in games I am somehow not into immersion lol, completely ignoring the fact that some of the most immersive games barely have any story, they usually have a strong lore or setting but a narrative is not at all important compared to many MANY other factors that make games immersive.

player choice and highly interactive environments are like 10x bigger factors to how immersive a game is
in fact most of what people would call "Story Driven" games are the opposite of immersive, they often completely kill immersion by forcing narrative on you and into the gameplay, see forced Slow Walking sequences that are literally the opposite of immersive

but, whatever, here's my meaningless graph I guess lol

KAD9dMM.png

Last edited:

Pejo

this survey is complete nonsense, they equate story/narrative with immersion lol, what a joke.
because I don't care about story lines in games I am somehow not into immersion lol, completely ignoring the fact that some of the most immersive games barely have any story, they usually have a strong lore or setting but a narrative is not at all important compared to many MANY other factors that make games immersive.

player choice and highly interactive environments are like 10x bigger factors to how immersive a game is
in fact most of what people would call "Story Driven" games are the opposite of immersive, they often completely kill immersion by forcing narrative on you and into the gameplay, see forced Slow Walking sequences that are literally the opposite of immersive

but, whatever, here's my meaningless graph I guess lol
Yea I agree, the survey is severely flawed. Because I scored the middle for excessive destruction and using guns, it's as if I don't like action at all. Because blowing stuff up with guns is the only action that exists, apparently.

intbal

It might be pointless, but this survey would probably provide more valuable information about people than that garbage Myers-Briggs test they've been giving students for half a century.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yea I agree, the survey is severely flawed. Because I scored the middle for excessive destruction and using guns, it's as if I don't like action at all. Because blowing stuff up with guns is the only action that exists, apparently.

It might be flawed but multiplayer motivation is getting its ass kicked and story/immersion is off the charts.

That's exactly what I'd expect from NeoGAF.

Banned
It might be flawed but multiplayer motivation is getting its ass kicked and story/immersion is off the charts.

That's exactly what I'd expect from NeoGAF.

well but that's where it is flawed like I posted above. I am super into immersive single player games. the issue is what these guys defined as "immersive" is games with lots of story focus... like... what?

I would argue that Minecraft is more immersive than most story driven games. mostly Story driven games are often the least immersive games

Last edited:

laynelane

I got Gladiator/Slayer.

sPHlij4.png

One thing I realized from doing this is I haven't been playing any recently released games. Thanks for passing along the quiz, it was fun.

GLADIATOR

Gladiator.png

Gamer Type Motto:

"Dedicated, Hardcore Gaming."

Your primary (dominant) player type is the Gladiator.

Gladiators are competitive gamers who are more likely to identify as hardcore, and they want games to engage them using a broad spectrum of features. They are looking for an epic, skill-based experience in the games they play.

X438pQ59J7oYnmAFBkF3ym

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Your primary (dominant) player type is the Bounty Hunter, but you also lean towards a secondary player type, the Gardener.

Bounty Hunters are solo, action-oriented explorers who want game worlds that they can make their own through customization and discovery. They also enjoy power progression and unleashing mayhem.

Gardeners are looking for quiet, relaxing task completion. They enjoy accessible gameplay that focuses on completing levels/quests, collecting stars/trophies, and collecting collectibles.

I'm absolutely the solo, explorer type. Seems fairly accurate. The name "Gardener" along with "Quiet, relaxing" suggests Stardew Valley, but the description doesn't align with that at all.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Im a fucking Ninja!
8jbcgVS.png

Tho not very accurate and I picked not interested or dont care whenever there was a competitive type of question since I no longer play mp games that much. I do play on the hardest or at least try even if that means failing a lot of times and complaining about it. I guess I like to suffer.

Last edited:

JCK75

After a long day at work I really just need a legal way to shoot someone in the face and gaming offers that.

Aion002

The type that likes to fight and kill things.

If I can't kill a thing in a game I just don't care about it... Also, the thing has to fight back, otherwise there's no fun in that... Souls games FTW!

Confused Will Smith GIF by Red Table Talk

:messenger_sad_relieved:

Last edited:
Top Bottom