• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What type of games are better on consoles?

Topher

Gold Member
I had a PC hooked up to my TV for the better part of a decade and ran through plenty of games with it. Still, I never thought the experience was any good. I bought a good lap board but never really enjoyed playing FPS and other titles with it hooked up on the TV. So I ended up mostly playing console ports, but even then, the experience was fiddly, messing with settings, I just didn’t like it. Windows 10 HDR was also completely screwed up and I could never enjoy titles like RE7 properly on it (I ended up beating taht game when the PS5 patch came through). I also had to move my coffee table to play VR but that’s an edge case.

So ultimately I threw in the towel and have my PC hooked up to my monitor where I play PC games and my console hooked up to my TV where I play console games and it’s fine. In my office I can play VR games with no problem as well. Certainly some people do like the HTPC experience but it’s optimal.

Pretty much the same. My big TV is just for consoles. PC gaming just works better at a desk with a monitor. Trying to use a keyboard and mouse on a couch sucks.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
RTS games, strategy and simulation games are far superior on a PC. I know some are ported to consoles, but not all of them have KB&M support.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not to defend console players, but some minor magnetism is hardly the same thing as full fledged cheats.

You still need general aim skills, aiming to the head instead of the body or legs (autoaim doesn't help with that), spacial awareness, evading while shooting\jumping, knowing the map, etc. etc. To be a great player on console, we all have autoaim and when everyone use the same cheat, the effect is almost nullified.
Yeah but the problem is console players also has this cheat while playing cross play.

You have to do all the same, plus actually aim and shoot yourself as a pc user.

This magnetism isn't fair in cross play and is zero skill. It's fine when all players in the pool has the same advantages, but when you have these advantages over people from other pools it's simply just not fair.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don’t know of you talking about performance or not but for me SRPGs or long turn based RPGs I find more comfortable to play on my Switch…..but thats just me.

GymWolf

Yeah but the problem is console players also has this cheat while playing cross play.

You have to do all the same, plus actually aim and shoot yourself as a pc user.

This magnetism isn't fair in cross play and is zero skill. It's fine when all players in the pool has the same advantages, but when you have these advantages over people from other pools it's simply just not fair.
Isn't mouse+keyboard still WAY more precise than any controller with a bit of magnetism? isn't true that usually average pc players destroy great console players?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Isn't mouse+keyboard still WAY more precise than any controller with a bit of magnetism? isn't true that usually average pc players destroy great console players?
Personally I don't have a problem with it, I just find it pretty unfair.

Whats worse, is you got something like a Xim you can use that on a PC and get controller benefits with native keyboard and mouse, making it unfair for everyone.

Banned

nope. which is why aim assist is a pretty heated topic on PC these days.

Halo now went so far as to giving Mouse players actual aim assist in the lastest update.
Halo already gave Mouse players bullet magnetism from the start to help against controller players, but that wasn't enough it seems. so now it also gives you the typical slowdown and rotational aim assist on a Mouse to even the playfield.

IMO the correct move forward would have been to remove aim assist (except magnetism) for controllers and enhance the controller aiming to make this viable...
but that would have been A: too much work I guess, and B: highly controversial among controller veterans.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Some genres like SHMUPs cling on to consoles because they developed tactics to wring money out of a small but dedicated fandom, with artificial scarcity & limited editions.

Ehhhhh there’s probably more shmups on PC than any console.

It’s pretty staggering how much is on PC, since it’s just an ongoing platform with no “generation” cut offs where games got left behind, like consoles.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
None.

A stable PC is superior at everything. There are SFF case options, and 10 foot software interfaces to run over everything that completely replicate the living room console experience.
PC is also capable of running compatibility layers and emulation to keep the past 50 years of gaming across arcades, computers, and consoles alive and accessible.

Caio

Generally Consoles do a better job in platforms, action games, survival horror, fighting games, JRPGs, sports and racing games.
How many memories, I still remember a dear friend, PC only gamer, who literally drooled behind Tekken and Ridge Racer at the time of the first Playstation :D

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
None.
rodrigolfp rodrigolfp

Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
And seeing some mental gymnastics of some here insisting in this, I am almost giving up on humanity and praying for a new reset with Noah.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
IMO the correct move forward would have been to remove aim assist (except magnetism) for controllers and enhance the controller aiming to make this viable...
No. Remove everything. If controller sucks, change the controller. Do you see anyone that play racing sims on keyboard crying for steering assist? No, they accept that sucks or change the controller method.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I currently have a decent PC setup (I do need to upgrade the graphics card) and am wondering whether to buy a console. I mostly play RPG games but I used to play quite a lot of sports games and think a console might be good to get to play with my young sons.

My question though is general, what types of games are typically better on consoles vs PCs?

P.S. How many console exclusives remain exclusive and never come to PC?
I think what AV AV said is accurate if we're talking current gen exclusives. (By the way AV, I needed an excuse to thank you for bringing back Mr.Kotto) We can all joke in terms of hardware output on a Switch but a good 70% or more of their titles are exclusive.

The question about types of games better for consoles and P.Cs is subjective depending on: player preference i.e. if keyboard and mouse are more at home to you than a wireless control. Most Microsoft titles will naturally feel a bit better on PC or XBOX. IMO I usually stick with Playstation when it's related to Enix RPGs.

Honestly both are about the same in terms of experience depending of a few factors.

1 - Is your PC any good ? If it can run most games at high/max setting , maybe having a console might not be as important. That said Consoles are often much cheaper to buy than a kick-ass gaming PC, so it can be a good budget option if you want 4K 30/60 FPS gaming on a budget.
2 - Second question is controls. Do you want keyboard and mouse ? It's not always super intuitive and supported for most console games to have a keyboard and mouse setup... The opposite is usually much easier, (using a controller for PC gaming).
3 - Third is exclusives . Do you want to play Nintendo or Sony first party titles ? Or are you ok with just playing what's available on PC ? Not really talking about Xbox Exclusives since, well, they're pretty much all on PC nowadays anyway... There's also exclusive hardware like the experimental gimmicky nintendo controllers or PS VR to take into account, or oculus rift...
4 - Fourth is pricing. PC games tend to be cheaper overall, plus you can often find cd key shops and other good deals. Some people even pirate games. Consoles games are usually more expensive since you can only buy them off Sony / MS / Nintendo store. Then again you can also buy used games for these consoles, provided you have physical stores near where you live that sell those. Heck, you might even still be able to find game rental places where you live...
5 - Fifth is mod support. Most Consoles have zero or limited mod support. Is it a dealbreaker for you ? . Personally I would never play a Bethesda game on a console... Like ever ! That said, some people are willing to play glitchy , buggy games without the safety net of having a access to a dev console, fan-patches and mods to fix all the issues these game have.
6 - Sixth is Ease of Use. Let's face it PC gaming is much more work, since you gotta keep drivers updated, tweak the settings, tweak the controls and overall work harder to get a game running. Console is usually just about booting the game , maybe tweak a couple casual gameplay options, then play from start to finish. It's also much easier to capture footage and stream on Console, as you have that stuff already set up by the console.
7 - This one is lesser discussed , but there's Future-Proofing. In general PC games have better longevity, as you'll be able to increase the resolution / download high-def texture packs and perform tweaks on old games to make them stand the test of time, while sadly for console games you're often stuck buying the same game over multiple generations because they do a "PS6" remaster or something... And frankly, I have very little desire to boot a PS3 game in this day and age, but I can sometimes boot the same game on PC with a couple fan patch of the texture and maybe a 4k resolution command added to the ini....
8 - Last but not least, there's the online service offerings. PSN and Xbox Live offer subscription services that give you free games and access to their online platforms for a price, whereas PC gaming is usually free (no monthly fees to game online)... Might be a dealbreaker for some, especially if the free games each month do not appeal to you. Besides PC also has free monthly games on Epic Game Store for free...Soo that's that...

But yeah, at the end of the day, someone running the same game with a controller on a PC and on a Sony or Xbox will have a very similar experience , for the most part. I'd say it's mostly about exclusives in the end. In the past I would have said go with PC + Sony + Maybe Nintendo if you care about their first party, but nowadays, it' a harder call to make since Sony seems adamant in releasing all their best games on PC nowdays if you're willing to wait a couple of years, leaving way less true exclusives, Microsoft also keeps releasing basically everything on PC... Making it less indispensable than ever to own both PC and Consoles imho... Plus Nintendo has such dated , crappy hardware it's usually super easy to emulate on a good pc ....

Some people also bring up the couch vs desk situation, but it's pretty easy to connect a console to a pc monitor, or a pc to a tv, so to me it's a non issue... Just like it's super easy to use a controller to play your favorite PC game on your tv...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
all of them unless you like pain and suffering.
Ok ok jokes aside, all older games like pc games, duke, quake and so on obviously are better on pc.
Racing or flying simulators, strategy games and possibly more indie games.

Main AAA games can be spotty on pc no matter what hardware.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Almost no game is better on console than on PC but some are due to playerbase like FIFA or other sports games. Netherrealm games are better on console as well, due to optimization and their sheer idiocy of not allowing crossplay with PC.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have used PCs as gaming consoles for years.

Not even close? Steam Deck's UI is close enough to negate the argument entirely.
No, not even close. It’s a distinctly inferior experience, and also inferior to using a PC on a monitor on a desk. If you’re willing to tolerate the differences for what you gain, that’s your call, but I think waving off the very real issues with the HTPC/10-foot/whatever experience is not helpful.

Banned
No. Remove everything. If controller sucks, change the controller. Do you see anyone that play racing sims on keyboard crying for steering assist? No, they accept that sucks or change the controller method.

well you can't remove magnetism that easily as it's quite literally the main balancing mechanic in Halo.

in the winter update they nerfed the BR and buffed the Commando. you know how they did that? in other games you'd now say, "well I guess they lowered the damage on the BR and increased the damage for the Commando", and you'd be right... but not in Halo.
what they did is they increased the bullet magnetism on the Commando in general and increased the heashot prioritization angle for the magnetism.

and they did the exact opposite for the BR, they decreased the heashot prioritization, reduced the bullet magnet distance and magnet strength falloff distance.

so removing the bullet magnetism would mean even more chnages to the core design.
and I already find it unrealistic that removing aim assist and improving the stick aiming would be something they'd ever do... removing the magnetism is basically never gonna happen.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
No, not even close. It’s a distinctly inferior experience, and also inferior to using a PC on a monitor on a desk. If you’re willing to tolerate the differences for what you gain, that’s your call, but I think waving off the very real issues with the HTPC/10-foot/whatever experience is not helpful.

Not helpful to what? Waiving off the issues of what? If you have a stable PC, it can easily replace a game console experience.

The issue of setting up a front end in the first place is the only one you can't waive off, and the rest is hyperbolic bullshit and the perpetuated console marketing around simplicity. That whole angle already lost a lot of merit when the PS3 and 360 generation came along to obfuscate the experience with constant patching and updates.

The Deck's game mode UI is a console interface. It's no more complicated than what Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are peddling. There are other front ends you can put on a SFF living room PC and use with a gamepad, from booting it up like any other dedicated gaming appliance.

Last edited:

Mercador

I can't believe that someone is more accurate with a controller than with a kb+m...?

As for your question OP, I prefer playing racing game with a controller, but I still play on my PC but linked to my TV. What I don't like from PC gaming, it's messy only launching a game on the Xbox App on the correct screen. It's still easier to launch the Xbox with the touch of one button than messing around with screens, sound output and the like. Obviously, they all have launcher, so I have to boot my wireless keyboard just to click Play. That's cumbersome for no good reason.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Only those with shit (or no) ports so, not realy a specific type. Otherwise at worst you get an at least equal experience so I dunno how anyone would think anything can be better there, can you not plug in controllers (which unlike keyboard and mouse on consoles is supported 99.99% of the time on PC and if not you can probably make it so anyway) or what do you associate with consoles that a PC can't do? I don't get it. Fanboyism and orgasming when a console company logo shows up on screen is apparently a thing for some here but otherwise, just enjoy your PC games without worrying about nonsense like this, you aren't missing anything elsewhere as even accounting for the rare actual exclusives (not console exclusives, lol) there are still more great games than you can play in your lifetime available to you.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Devs shouldn't bother with aim assist nor bullet magnetism. I beat Ion Fury on the Deck without any of that shit and it played fine, gyro aim is all you need.

Yeah it's still worse than M+KB, but I got surprised at how easy it was to land headshots with it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
For me, couch co-op stuff mostly. Beyond that, for me the decision of what platform to play on is largely about where I want to play. If I want to play in the living room then console, if I want to play in my office then PC, if wherever then Switch.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I use my pc on living room with wireless mouse+kb UI laying on my mattress. Couch/desk and console/Big picture UI can go to suck some flat donkey dick.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I've got my PC on the living room. 7m HDMI cable thrown behind the furniture to connect it to my TV. Peak PC comfyness.

only the ones you cant get on PC

if you have a beefy PC connected to your tv, you have console controllers connected to it + a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, and you know how to computer... why would you use a console that uses worse settings, has worse performance, and is less customizable?

SeraphJan

Mostly the same on PC or Console, exceptions are RTS, which almost never work on Console. PC also has advantage when playing Multiplayer shooter

anothertech

Shooters on PC (kbm)

Everything else console ;)

Hack and slashers, fighting games and 3rd person shmups are so much more satisfying from the comfort of your couch and mashing buttons on the gamepad.

You can do this with a PC, but consoles are just meant for it. Also Mario.

I don't agree, besides couch coop shitting on your reply, another consideration is my personal history below.

I play far less PC for the last 20 years (console) over the first 20 years (PC and early consoles). Why? Fuck PC drivers, incompatibilities, game optimisation, choosing settings, tweaks, updates, hardware upgrades, cost etc etc. Being older these days, I don't care about the minor increases over say my Samsung VRR 4K TV and a Series X console over say spending at least $2K for similar performance if I have a whole PC connected up to the same TV. If I spent on monitor it's another $1K for something close to my TV for example All that for what exactly? A bump in res, shadows and some RTX but less dev/platform/community cohesion and optimisation than consoles. Console games enjoy far better optimisations than PCs do due to the nature of fixed hardware revisions platform wide. PCs enjoy brute force or custom solutions more than consoles but at a price and increased maintenance required.

Christ even turning on your game is as simple as turning your controller on and clicking A to pick up right where you left off with Xbox > Quick Resume. Do that on a PC. How about multitap on or arcade games on consoles allowing you to play 4 player coop Simpsons or NBA JAM or bomberman at home? How was the PC looking back then? How does it look now for 4 player couch coop that any age can play?

To say "none", might suit for you personally, is a pretty shit blanket statement to put out there mate. Clearly there are benefits either way.

EDIT: How about accessbility? Charitable Xbox consoles with adaptive controllers going to disabled, handicap, recovering, kids etc. Pretty easy for anyone/ability to use, don't see that on PC being anywhere near the same ease of use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom