• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What type of games are better on consoles?

TrebleShot

PC gaming is not this magical thing that is automatically better than a console by any stretch of the imagination.

I just built my first mid/high end system and I hook it up to a 77” OLED.

First thing is you boot into windows , so your sat there with a fully functioning PC which isn’t exactly ideal if gaming is your focus, people will say we’ll boot into big picture mode but what they don’t tell you is it looks like shit and it’s the worst UI of any potential console.

Also you’ll have at least 4/5 launchers installed and often booting into a game will launch another launcher in the background that means you have to awkwardly tan over and launch into the game.

You’ll also spend a lot of time optimising your settings, for instance Cyberpunk you’ll be rummaging about in video settings and graphics settings to squeeze 3/4 more frames out of your system.

Controller support is spotty and bizarre, I thought it would be a case of connect dualsense via BT and away you go, nope you’ll have steam interfering with input and will show as a Xbox controller, rumble will work sometimes and not other times, DS features are supported but only triggers and you’ll need to be wired if you want haptics and then you’ll have the same issue as above with it thinking it’s an Xbox controller sometimes and not others.

Onto plus points yes, you will be playing at higher resolutions and frame rates, which is a major up point , the Witcher next gen RT off at 90fps is beautiful to play as is FIFA 23 at 90+ and 60 cut scenes.

You also get Dolby atmos support natively which is a big step up from 5.1.

Games are much cheaper and tend to go on sale alot.

There’s plenty of games for the past that are automatically at high fps.

In between downloads you browse web etc.

With a console you get unbelievable performance to price ratio which is significant and you also have the absolute beauty of simply turning it on and launching a game that will play very very well no questions asked at compatible settings to PC.

After building my PC which cost probabaly about £1600 which is about x3 the cost of a PS5 you have to ask yourself is the price to performance ratio worth it? I’d definitely prefer playing in higher fps and resolutions on a big screen but teh ease and magic of a console is hard to ignore and are the upgrades worth the extra 1k , I’m not so sure.

Maybe as I dive into it more and maybe I’m missing something , but a PC connected to a large screen and sofa set up is tricky to compare to plug and play - everything through the dualsense which is a MAJOR factor.

(I have a v good couch mouse kb combo but still prefer controller)

Laptop1991

Nowadays, most of them, they are made better than the PC versions, apart from Bethesda older SP games that allow full modding on the PC, hopefully Starfield will still be the same.

Guilty_AI

Considering you can also play PC games with a controller, i'd say its really a case by case thing. Some games have really poor console ports while others have really bad PC ports.

More than anything, i'd say it depends on your setup. If you have your console already hooked up to your TV ready to go, it'll always be the better option for couch coop games to play with your kid, rather than having to go through the trouble of setting your PC on the big screen.

Last edited:
It depends, as someone who has both in the living room I tend to be lazy and go to console gaming when a game is available on both just to save on the fiddling.

I do have a PS5, so overall the image and performance is pretty close to what you will get with a GPU that costs more than the console alone.

Denton

I am browsing this thread on my TV from a couch, logitech k400 ftw.
I play games by launching them from the desktop and playing with controller.
I bought a console (PS4 Pro), played all exclusives within first year of owning it, and since then it has served as a dust catcher.

What are the best controllers for PCs? I used some Xbox 360 ones and they were very glitchy.

I just used the Xbox 360 one, and now I am using Xbone one. I would get Dualsense if Sony could be bothered to release a wireless dongle and proper drivers.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Also, streamers don't switch to a controller because they suck but because they're tired of being at a disadvantage when they're the only ones on the server who try to play normally while everyone else is ADS'ing them, lol.
You are partly right.

They switch because controllers has built in aim bot.

Even when it comes to things like look acceleration or smoothing, it's all done with a controller in mind and unless it's some esports game, most shooters will feel like ass on a mouse.
Tell me you've never played with a keyboard and mouse without telling me you've never played with a keyboard and mouse.

I play between my xbox and pc. I hate how the game feels with a controller. I hate the game playing for me and bo skills are involved.

Halo, CoD, Destiny, Timesplitters. The list goes on my young Padawan
So all games with aimbot that aims for you.

Got it.

I'm probably just old, but I grew up with you had to aim and shoot for yourself.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
all of em lol

A good amount are better on console imho, I prefer most on console outside of CRPGs and even those have been done pretty damn well on console as of late.

CRPGs, stuff like the sims, RTS titles etc I generally like on PC, everything else I'll get on console.

Console does a great job with action games, survival horror titles, fighting games, is getting the majority chunk of JRPGs. It depends on the game and the person tbh
Agree with this. The majority are better on consoles to me aside from maybe some fps and iso RPGs like Diablo. And I only say games like Diablo because key mapping. I personally prefer to play on console 95%, and when I do get a hankering for a game that’s only available on pc, I normally use a controller and hdmi to my tv anyway, so it’s really the same thing.

geary

You can play a shooter (FP or TP) on M&K with aim assist, but you cant really play it on controller without aim assist. The devs do a lot o change in gamplay loop so that on consoles the game should feel differently.

Sygma

I currently have a decent PC setup (I do need to upgrade the graphics card) and am wondering whether to buy a console. I mostly play RPG games but I used to play quite a lot of sports games and think a console might be good to get to play with my young sons.

My question though is general, what types of games are typically better on consoles vs PCs?

P.S. How many console exclusives remain exclusive and never come to PC?

its more about convenience. you'll always get a better experience on pc but it will cost you more. what is undeniably better is rythm / music games. also if you like sports games console will always have a more active playerbase

T4keD0wN

Unreal engine 4 games / games that do not properly compile shaders and nothing else.

Last edited:
54LY00w.gif

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I am going to second shooters and not because of KBM vs controller but to avoid the number of hackers on PC

I know there are cheating devices on console as well but pales in comparison to PC hacks

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I am going to second shooters and not because of KBM vs controller but to avoid the number of hackers on PC

I know there are cheating devices on console as well but pales in comparison to PC hacks
Maybe, but what about singleplayer? I can't imagine playing a game like DOOM Eternal on a console, with all the fast + precise aiming that's required there.

Topher

Gold Member
None. There is nothing inherently better about playing any "type of game" on console as far as the game itself. I can think of quite a few that are better on PC however. First person shooters come immediately to mind. Strategy games....obviously. Flight sims. Point and click adventures.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Couch co-op support has gotten better, but it has been missing on PC in a lot of games in the past. Of course it is less and less common on consoles nowadays anyway.
Sports games have often been a second thought and released on old engines if at all on PC but that has started to change as well.

What are the best controllers for PCs? I used some Xbox 360 ones and they were very glitchy.
Even the series X controllers with the official MS adapter can fail to connect from time to time (I have to unplug then replug the stupid thing).

I have never tried or seen a wireless controller work perfectly (i.e., without any glitches) on PC. Wired controllers are fine, but it's 2022.

Fbh

I guess most multiplayer games have less of a cheating problem on console even though they aren't cheat free either.
Other than that and the occasional bad PC port I can't think of much else. On PC you've got more customization options, most games these days have controller support, you've even got mods which might help modify a game to your liking.

From my experience playing on both though, the pick up and play experience (specially from the couch) is still superior on console, still haven't found a solution on PC that's quite as comfortable as just picking up my controller, pressing a button on it and basically instantly being back into whatever I was playing. Also you'll always have a bit more troubleshooting on PC by the very nature of the platform, with it being open and with hundreds (thousands?) of potential hardware configurations it just comes with the territory.

HTK

Banned
This is how I would categorize the two:

PC:
- If you're extremely competitive
- If you stream or create content
- RTS You love Real Time Strategy games
- FPS CS:GO, Valorant, QUAKE, Overwatch as they are the only pure shooters with no aim assist of any kind
- Racing Sims If you are into hardcore racing sims, you have a wheel and a cockpit
- Flight Simulator only on PC
- Games are not as optimized
- Shit may not always work and it will require some sort of troubleshooting but if you're PC savvy it's not a big deal for what you get in terms of performance and visuals, that is IF IF you can afford a high end rig. If you can't afford a high end rig, I think its better to go with a console.

Console
- You just want to relax boot up and enjoy games
- FPS CoD, Apex, Halo, Battlefield all created to cater to controller over M&KB so you can hold your own / also less cheaters if you disable crossplay or if the shooter is exclusive so consoles
- Sim Cade Racing If you're into sim cade racing GT, Forza, Forza Horizon you can enjoy it with a controller but have an option to also get wheel and cockpit but less real sim options
- Console Exclusives Switch/PlayStation
- Sport games are better on a controller and I feel like all that audience is on console. (Of course with crossplay and PC allowing controllers this can go both ways)
- Everything else is just fine on console, no driver updates, no tinkering with settings, HDR, optimized games, shit just looks and works great out of the box.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I got the Xbox One and couldn't be happier.

The gamepad itself it's more than fine, but also having rechargeable batteries allows me to play long sessions without having to worry about battery life.

Also, getting the wireless adapter will allow you to connect it through Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth, so you can plug and use your headphones on the gamepad.

Holammer

Anything consoles can do PC can do better

c314602cd24252f8c847014fd307e612--annie-get-your-gun-broadway-musicals.jpg

In fact, PC is going big stompy and becoming the place to be for many genres. It was almost unthinkable to play fighting games on PC only a couple of years ago. Now it's the place to be.
Some genres like SHMUPs cling on to consoles because they developed tactics to wring money out of a small but dedicated fandom, with artificial scarcity & limited editions.

Anything consoles can do PC can do better

c314602cd24252f8c847014fd307e612--annie-get-your-gun-broadway-musicals.jpg

In fact, PC is going big stompy and becoming the place to be for many genres. It was almost unthinkable to play fighting games on PC only a couple of years ago. Now it's the place to be.
Some genres like SHMUPs cling on to consoles because they developed tactics to wring money out of a small but dedicated fandom, with artificial scarcity & limited editions.
uhm.......................... Sure thing dude...... Sure thing.

Umbasaborne

Banned
None really, at least once the current stuttering issue is figured out. a powerful pc will always wipe the floor with a console.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Ever heard of KB&M support on consoles?

Yeah.... It exists for quite a while.
Why would I play mouse and keyboard on console - which I've heard still isn't as good as native support on PC - when I can do the same on my PC with higher framerate?

You might get more bang for your buck if you want to sacrifice framerate and performance, but it is still not better than a capable PC.

You get what you pay for.

GymWolf

Drizzlehell Drizzlehell Beer Baelly Beer Baelly if you guys says this is skills then I guess we have nothing more to talk about.

The game locks on like if you are using a god damn aimbot.

Console users are crying over cheating pc players while having built in aimbot how ironic.

Not to defend console players, but some minor magnetism is hardly the same thing as full fledged cheats.

You still need general aim skills, aiming to the head instead of the body or legs (autoaim doesn't help with that), spacial awareness, evading while shooting\jumping, knowing the map, etc. etc. To be a great player on console, we all have autoaim and when everyone use the same cheat, the effect is almost nullified.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You’ll also spend a lot of time optimising your settings, for instance Cyberpunk you’ll be rummaging about in video settings and graphics settings to squeeze 3/4 more frames out of your system.
you can do that or you could just play with the provided settings. a lot of games auto optimize these days and the most i have to do is change the resolution to 1440p.
honestly rummaging through settings is a person problem not a PC problem. No one's forcing you to spend 13 minutes in the settings configuring shit just so your games can look slightly better. Only time i did that was with RDR2 since that was a taxing game (and even with the settings i chose, it looks better than the Xbox One version)

diffusionx

Gold Member
I had a PC hooked up to my TV for the better part of a decade and ran through plenty of games with it. Still, I never thought the experience was any good. I bought a good lap board but never really enjoyed playing FPS and other titles with it hooked up on the TV. So I ended up mostly playing console ports, but even then, the experience was fiddly, messing with settings, I just didn’t like it. Windows 10 HDR was also completely screwed up and I could never enjoy titles like RE7 properly on it (I ended up beating taht game when the PS5 patch came through). I also had to move my coffee table to play VR but that’s an edge case.

So ultimately I threw in the towel and have my PC hooked up to my monitor where I play PC games and my console hooked up to my TV where I play console games and it’s fine. In my office I can play VR games with no problem as well. Certainly some people do like the HTPC experience but it’s optimal.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I had a PC hooked up to my TV for the better part of a decade and ran through plenty of games with it. Still, I never thought the experience was any good. I bought a good lap board but never really enjoyed playing FPS and other titles with it hooked up on the TV. So I ended up mostly playing console ports, but even then, the experience was fiddly, messing with settings, I just didn’t like it. Windows 10 HDR was also completely screwed up and I could never enjoy titles like RE7 properly on it (I ended up beating taht game when the PS5 patch came through). I also had to move my coffee table to play VR but that’s an edge case.

So ultimately I threw in the towel and have my PC hooked up to my monitor where I play PC games and my console hooked up to my TV where I play console games and it’s fine. In my office I can play VR games with no problem as well. Certainly some people do like the HTPC experience but it’s optimal.
Im very close to doing the same.

VGEsoterica

Platformers. Well better on controller that is. Honestly any game with good controller support in a genre where controller is better than mouse and keyboard will be as good on PC IMO

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
You are partly right.

They switch because controllers has built in aim bot.

Tell me you've never played with a keyboard and mouse without telling me you've never played with a keyboard and mouse.

I play between my xbox and pc. I hate how the game feels with a controller. I hate the game playing for me and bo skills are involved.

So all games with aimbot that aims for you.

Got it.

I'm probably just old, but I grew up with you had to aim and shoot for yourself.

I always turn aim assist off bro

Markio128

Since you already have access to gamepass on PC, I’d either get a Switch or a PS5 to benefit from their libraries, depending on your preferences.

Top Bottom