• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Type of Screen do You Play your Console on?

What type of screen do you play your console on?

• I play on a 4K TV

Votes: 219 73.7%
  • I play on a 1080p TV

Votes: 39 13.1%
  • I play on a 1080p Desktop Monitor

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • I play on a 1440p Desktop Monitor

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • I play on a 4K Desktop Monitor

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • I play on a 1080p Projector

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • I play on a 1440p Projector

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I play on a 4k Projector

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Uhh.... I play on a HD ready TV, F you, 720p for LIFE

• CRT all the way bae

• Total voters

Thirty7ven

Banned
Let's see what kind of screens our neogaf gaming enthusiasts play their consoles on.

I play on a Sony Bravia 55' 4k tv, which is why I only tolerate playing the Switch in portable mode and ended up upgrading from a PS4 to a Pro and then a PS5 as soon as I could because the more I got used to it, the more bothered I became about games that run at 1080p due to how blurry it is.

There's some debate about how big the 4k market is with gamers, with many claiming 1080p is still ruling the market and will do so for many years. So I'm curious to see the results of this thread.

I use a 50" Panasonic. It's a few years old now but still has great IQ and was probably the last 4K/HDR set to support 3D. I'll keep it till it rusts :messenger_grinning_sweat: I play everything through it from my PC (supports the ultrawide 3840x1620 res too) to the Wii & PS2 as it generally handles upscaling and motion really well, even the Wii doesn't look half bad through component and that's upscaled from 480p

Banjo64

cumsessed
At the moment using my EX2520 for Series S and PS5.

It’s 1080p IPS, has 2x HDMI 2.0 ports.

Plays Series S games at 120fps and is one of the monitors that recognises the PS5s native 4k signal and super samples it.

Got a lovely 4k HDR Bravia but I’m reluctant to use it as the missus can’t watch TV while I game.

JeloSWE

4K 75" Sony Z9F Master Series LCD 2018. Sit about 2m away with a pair of SVS Ultra Tower speaker on each side. It's been great fun so far and HDR, colors and view angles are great. I have my PS5, Switch and PC hoked up to it.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Im curious about this one person bae

9kwFLC0.jpg

My brother you still gaming on SEGA Genesis/ SNES ?

Last edited:

DonF

Real 4k 55" LG tv. Got it like 3 years ago. Remember reading lots of reviews about it. At the time it was a great led tv. Oleds are way to expensive here (south America) so I got the best led display I could buy. It looks great, and I previously had a 43" fake 4k (I read that some smaller than 50" tvs only had 4k in it's white pixels) and the difference was enormous.
I got it cause I had a PS4 pro and it stills looks great with my ps5. I'm waiting for oleds with HDMI 2.1 to get a bit cheaper and I'll make the next jump.

I have a 44 inch Vizio 4KHDR tv. Got it like 3 years ago so my Xbox One S would look a little nicer upscaled with HDR, while not breaking the bank either.

I also got it so when I decided to go next gen I’d already have a 4K tv. Unfortunately it doesn’t support 120hz because at the time I didn’t anticipate next gen actually supporting that.

It works pretty well with my new Series X, and it’s also small enough so that when I use my WiiU it doesn’t look too bad upscaling the 1080p/720p image in most cases.

I may get a bigger TV later, but for now this one works well.

Last edited:

intbal

I had been playing on a 42" 1080p Vizio TV for several years.
Just a couple months ago, I picked up a 28" 4K 10bit HDR Freesync monitor.
After using it with my One X for a few games with different needs (30/60, 4k res/sub4k, HDR/noHDR), I've decided that the most important thing to me is a LARGE gaming image. I'm going back to TVs. Currently looking for a 43-55" TV with good color and contrast that fits my budget.

Real 4k 55" LG tv. Got it like 3 years ago. Remember reading lots of reviews about it. At the time it was a great led tv. Oleds are way to expensive here (south America) so I got the best led display I could buy. It looks great, and I previously had a 43" fake 4k (I read that some smaller than 50" tvs only had 4k in it's white pixels) and the difference was enormous.
I got it cause I had a PS4 pro and it stills looks great with my ps5. I'm waiting for oleds with HDMI 2.1 to get a bit cheaper and I'll make the next jump.

I feel ya on your previous TV. I also had one of those 43" LG '4K' sets that used what was called an RGBW panel for a few months. From what I remember reading it was something like every 3rd pixel was white instead of RGB so you pretty much lost a third of the effective resolution, was LG's way of getting cheaper 4K sets out I guess. Luckily I upgraded to my current set soon after and like you noticed a big jump in quality. If anything tho I'm now way more skeptical about TV's from LG so haven't looked to jump to OLED

Tschumi

I just realised something today.

I haven't liked a console since GameCube. I've owned an xbox, xbox 360, ps2, ps3, ps4.. with the exception of persona 5 i never really had the same feeling i had as a kid with my GameCube..

I think i was only trying the more recent of these consoles because i had bought all the games i wanted from steam, so i needed somewhere new to spend my money..

Fuck that lol

(To be fair, i played the hell out of metal gear solid 5 on my pc before i got a ps4, so like i would have liked that too)

Anyway i play on a 1080 tv, and it's fine.

Last edited:

JapeMincers

I play on an LG 55 C9 OLED. It ruined my experience playing on my LG 27” 144Hz IPS. I can’t wait for smaller high refresh rate OLED monitors.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Currently still using my old 2016 Sony XD70 4K HDR. Planning to upgrade to Sony X90J later. Would upgrade to 8K if there was enough 8K content around. And yes, 8K is much better unless you don't have a sharp vision.
I have the 43 inch XD80 (X800D in America). I hope it lasts for years and years to come, Sony make great TVs.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have the 43 inch XD80 (X800D in America). I hope it lasts for years and years to come, Sony make great TVs.

Yeah it still looks great, and yours even much better with VA panel. But looking for X90J for HDMI 2.1 and 10-bit panel as I think the HDMI 2.0 is struggling when trying to view 4K@120fps 10-bit footage from my Sony a7S III, stuttery as fuck. It could as well be a PC bottleneck although using a quite strong PC.

MikeM

Recently upgraded from a VT50 Panasonic Plasma to a Sony X900H. Wanted OLED but young kids running around an expensive TV scares me.

X900H is surprisingly fantastic (from a plasma snob perspective). Still waiting for VRR though, but otherwise would absolutely buy again.

Chronos24

I play on a 2018 model Samsung Q8FN. Want to upgrade some time in the not too distant future for full HDMI 2.1 since this model can only do 4k/60. It does however do 1440p/120 and gets plenty bright but I'm a sucker for latest and greatest

I use a cheap TCL 5 Series QLED. It’s fine, and when my old tv broke I didn’t want to spend over $500? I got a LG CX but returned it because I just couldn’t justify the $1400 for the upgrade. It wasn’t worth it to me.

I also have a cheap 75hz ASUS monitor that I use on pc.

At the moment using my EX2520 for Series S and PS5.

It’s 1080p IPS, has 2x HDMI 2.0 ports.

Plays Series S games at 120fps and is one of the monitors that recognises the PS5s native 4k signal and super samples it.

Got a lovely 4k HDR Bravia but I’m reluctant to use it as the missus can’t watch TV while I game.
How do you like the monitor? I actually just ordered the EX2510. My computer can’t handle 1440 or 2160 but can handle 1080 plenty. Would be nice to have a nice monitor for my consoles as well.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I have a 1080p Samsung plasma. I really like it. I'll go to a 4k once they get vrr into everything, including my ps5.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I use a cheap TCL 5 Series QLED. It’s fine, and when my old tv broke I didn’t want to spend over $500? I got a LG CX but returned it because I just couldn’t justify the $1400 for the upgrade. It wasn’t worth it to me.

I also have a cheap 75hz ASUS monitor that I use on pc.

How do you like the monitor? I actually just ordered the EX2510. My computer can’t handle 1440 or 2160 but can handle 1080 plenty. Would be nice to have a nice monitor for my consoles as well.
Love it. Had the AOC 24g2 prior, but I much prefer the BENQ.

My son has it also but his panel has a bit of light bleed, mine doesn’t have any so just be aware that the typical panel lottery applies.

R6Rider

Gold Member
A 55" TCL R635
It's a VA QLED with local dimming (128 zones I think), 120hz, and VRR.
Doesn't support HDMI 2.1, but the chances that I'd even use that are very low.

Price for quality of the image on this TV can't be beat. It has better brightness and contrast than most higher priced TVs and I can assure you very few (if any) of the TVs mentioned so far have a picture that much better for the price increase.

Biggest flaw is the viewing angles, but that's expected with a VA panel.

HDR content on this thing is mind blowing and I've seen it side by side with TVs that cost three times as much and only look slightly better and often times worse in some areas.

Also as a bonus: The TV speakers actually aren't too bad compared to most TV speakers these days.

EDIT: Added some details and thoughts.

Last edited:

smbu2000

My new consoles I play on my 48” LG CX OLED (4k).
With my PC I use a 32” BenQ EW3280U (4k IPS) monitor.

With my old consoles I use either my 25” Sony Wega CRT or my 20” Sony PVM CRT.

Top Bottom