• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What types of hardware innovations do you want to see in the console space?

I honestly believe that Microsoft and to a lesser extent Sony have been far too lenient with developers/publishers during the transition to this latest generation.

Whats the point in spending billions in R&D when most developers that release games on your system don’t use many of the latest features you have designed? Many of these are hardware accelerated and are just being ignored completely.

Developers haven’t been in a rush to utilise the latest technologies. It’s screwing up the generation as there is so much performance being left on the table.

Both Microsoft and Sony should better incentivise developers to utilise new technologies and features unique to each system. This could be done by evaluating titles during the validation stage. Titles could then be assigned a category depending on how many cutting edge technologies/techniques have been implemented. Titles that make use of the latest features could get cool branding and priority placement on the platform marketplace. Hence incentivising developers to max out the capabilities of each system.

Anything to get us back on the cutting edge. I agree with the OP that things aren’t progressing the way they should and that makes me sad. A new console generation used to mean new experiences. Now it just means the same old shit at a higher resolution.

I honestly believe that Microsoft and to a lesser extent Sony have been far too lenient with developers/publishers during the transition to this latest generation.

Whats the point in spending billions in R&D when most developers that release games on your system don’t use many of the latest features you have designed? Many of these are hardware accelerated and are just being ignored completely.

Developers haven’t been in a rush to utilise the latest technologies. It’s screwing up the generation as there is so much performance being left on the table.

Both Microsoft and Sony should better incentivise developers to utilise new technologies and features unique to each system. This could be done by evaluating titles during the validation stage. Titles could then be assigned a category depending on how many cutting edge technologies/techniques have been implemented. Titles that make use of the latest features could get cool branding and priority placement on the platform marketplace. Hence incentivising developers to max out the capabilities of each system.

Anything to get us back on the cutting edge. I agree with the OP that things aren’t progressing the way they should and that makes me sad. A new console generation used to mean new experiences. Now it just means the same old shit at a higher resolution.
That's never going to happen and doesn't make any sense.

All Sony and MS can do is to make it easy for devs to use these features by providing proper tools/environment and to also lead by example (developing games that make good use of them).

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
sOFStGO.jpg
u6aGdaB.jpg
P2Ned8s.jpg

Voice control recognition.
Say you are in a firefight and you are mashing the control trying to stay alive, the ability to say "reload" and it reloads your gun, or you could say "drop down" and your character drops down.

Then I want more flops. Much more flops.

That's never going to happen and doesn't make any sense.

All Sony and MS can do is to make it easy for devs to use these features by providing proper tools/environment and to also lead by example (developing games that make good use of them).
It makes perfect sense. In fact it’s the way it used to be. You know, back when console generations actually meant something.

Why exactly is it a bad thing to incentivise utilisation of modern features/technologies?

Imagine this type of cooling on CPU/GPU in new consoles.

Or new revolutionary cooling system in PC.

Too bad it will probably won't be cheap to mass produce or smth.

Hall effect electromagnetic sticks (Hall Effect Joysticks). They solve the stick drift problem its non existent in those. Since the sensors don't touch anything nothing wears out.

Too bad Sony or Microsoft won't probably use then since Gulikit patented the technology and anyone using it will have to pay a procentage to them. But it's nice to think they could.

Last edited:

Lasha

I want the lower end of tech to get to the point where we don't need walled consoles anymore. Something like a successful version of the steam pc that works as a media box with a sub $500 price tag.

Drew1440

No more motion controls please, I cringe when I have to use them in the few PS3 games that bothered to support the Sixaxis.

Top Bottom