• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What valuable Life Lessons have you learned from gaming

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
As a lifelong gamer I’ve learned so many valuable life lessons. Please share some of yours.

For example, Yakuza: Like a Dragon taught me that
if you ever hide your newborn baby in a storage locker at the train station, take note of the locker number. Otherwise, when you return to retrieve your baby, you might open the wrong locker and take home someone else’s baby by mistake.

ba2.gif

I have learned real life graphics are amazing, but mostly the story, character interactions, and lore sucks. Plus being agoraphobic lowers my framerate and causes crashes. :(

JCK75

So I started gaming on a TRS-80 Color Computer, so I knew my way around RSDOS which translated easily to MSDOS later.. I also had an extended OS on that computer called OS-9 which was almost identical to UNIX so that was useful later in Life, it was not until the early 90's that I got an Actual Windows PC and started my PC gaming ride, when I did I bought a off the shelf computer expecting to game only to find it sucked at running games, so upgrade by upgrade I eventually learned how to build a PC..

and Today my career is in IT, my experience is all personal experience with no college required.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Trails in the Sky taught me that if you want to bang your hot stepsister, a great way to broach the subject is to “accidentally” let her see you naked. If she gets all flustered… you know she wants the D!!

Mr Hyde

I learned a deeper understanding of the English language by playing lots of JRPGs in my teenage years. It refined both my speech and reading skills, to the point were I'm fluent in both today. By playing games with high difficulty, such as Dark Souls, I learned about patience and endurance, and also the value of failing in order to become better and achieve success. Video games have trained my muscle memory and reflexes, but also my imagination.

waquzy

I have learnt that there is more to life than gaming and a simple bike ride is more rewarding than spending 2 hours gaming! In short, playing games is fun, but doing actual activities is way more rewarding/satisfying…

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
BF4 taught me to always set messages to friends only on PSN when playing multiplayer games. Because you always attract rancid little childish turds that bitch and moan when you're winning and they're losing.

5Anf15a.gif

Last edited:

CeeJay

I have learnt that games can make you an expert in real life sports and activities if you have never done them in real life. Yet, games that depict sports or activities that I am skilled at in real life do a really poor job at reproducing them accurately.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
As a kid I spent weekdays Monday - Friday in school and Saturdays I started working with my Dad's business (which was pretty cool). Sunday was a calm day which I could set aside to watch VHS tapes of anime or play video games. Video games were a great escape. I remember playing Ushio & Tora on the Super Famicom with the arcade control.

As an adult, I met my match. My wife likes working hard but is an incredible gamer (better than me). Same deal, we use some of those Sundays for video games when we don't feel like doing much. Whether I'm playing or watching...it's a great escape. It sort of reminds me of Sony's old slogan for PS2 "live in your world -- play in ours." We all need a break from reality. I can't play video games everyday but always have that one day at least to set aside and give reality a break.

When you can't get it to come on, pull it out, get it blown and then put it back in.

Last edited:

jadedm17

Anger management.
Broken controllers, walls, tvs etc..... Its just not worth it.
Breathe in. If needed take a break. Return tomorrow, or next month.
Just dont be angry, if your hobby makes you angry you need to re-evaluate something.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

As a lifelong gamer I’ve learned so many valuable life lessons. Please share some of yours.

For example, Yakuza: Like a Dragon taught me that
if you ever hide your newborn baby in a storage locker at the train station, take note of the locker number. Otherwise, when you return to retrieve your baby, you might open the wrong locker and take home someone else’s baby by mistake.

ba2.gif
Never waste your time on games like a full time job.........
I could have better life and accomplished more (not that now is bad) if I didn't waste so much time on WOW & other games.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Not many
But The main lesson in TLOU2 is quite profound, that the never ending cycle of revenge never ends, and that letting go and moving on is the better idea.

The people who "win" and get there revenge dont actually win, they are even more broken after they have inflicted there revenge.

Not many
But The main lesson in TLOU2 is quite profound, that the never ending cycle of revenge never ends, and that letting go and moving on is the better idea.

The people who "win" and get there revenge dont actually win, they are even more broken after they have inflicted there revenge.
Shenmue taught me the same lesson.

Top Bottom