• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the best looking game between 2013 and 2016 (early last gen)?

Fredrik

4. Order 1886 (as impressive as it was I feel it would be easier to get those visuals due to the type of gameplay).
What’s it doing gameplay-wise that would make it easier? It’s a third person shooter. 🤷‍♂️
It’s the superb art direction and cinematic post effect wizardry that made it look amazing. Still looks good today. They saved lots of power by going with 30fps though but that goes for most games mentioned here.
Ready At Dawn is at Oculus now btw, I hope we’ll see them do a spiritual successor to The Order, I think they could do some serious VR magic if they got a blank check and enough time to do it right.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Has to be Star Wars Battlefront. That game was genuinely a generation apart. ‘Old’ Dice was probably the best technical studio IMO, or at least on par with ND.

No game came close to that in my opinion early on. game looked exactly how a Star Wars game should

Caio

I was impressed by many games, like Battlefield1, Uncharted4, Doom, Gears4, The Witcher3, Tom Clancy's The Division, FFXV, I think all look amazing. What an amazing generation !

Flabagast

I am not really fond of the game but I don’t know at all how you can answer anything other than Uncharted 4 to this question tbh.

AdamTank83

Neo Member
The Order 1886 had multiple moments that made me question how much extra power the consoles actually had that gen.

ActiveRichFish-size_restricted.gif

FearlessIcyFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

R9nh.gif

The Order 1886's graphics and presentation gave me the very same feeling as seeing and playing Killzone 2 for the first time.

34148.gif
Came to post the order 1886

Cryio

As of 2016:

Quantum Break
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Battlefront 2015
Uncharted 4
Doom 2016
Arkham Knight
Witcher 3
Ryse
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dishonored 2
Gears of War 4
The Order 1886 (post-processing, the game)
Gears of War Ultimate

In this order.

RaduN

Regardless of the genre and complexity of the gameplay, purely from a graphical standpoint, The Order by far.

It was and still is, mind blowing.

tommib

First person who says Bloodborne is getting hit in the dick
I know what you mean but it was the fist game I played on my PS4 migrating from PS3. It did blow my mind being the first next-gen game at the time.

The geometrical density of the first area and those grab animations when parrying where impressive.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I know what you mean but it was the fist game I played on my PS4 migrating from PS3. It did blow my mind being the first next-gen game at the time.

The geometrical density of the first area and those grab animations when parrying where impressive.

hussar16

The Order 1886 had multiple moments that made me question how much extra power the consoles actually had that gen.

ActiveRichFish-size_restricted.gif

FearlessIcyFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

R9nh.gif

The Order 1886's graphics and presentation gave me the very same feeling as seeing and playing Killzone 2 for the first time.

34148.gif
the order was like palying an 8 hour cutscene . wishj we gota sequal wtf sony

sachos

Has to be Star Wars Battlefront. That game was genuinely a generation apart. ‘Old’ Dice was probably the best technical studio IMO, or at least on par with ND.

Imagine a Jedi Knight Dark Forces 3 with these graphics. Answering OP question i was gonna say UC4 but this post reminded me of a lot more games so now i can't decide. This post is putting the cross gen struggle into perspective, although we still have a year to go to get to the equivalent 2016/2023.

This thread made me seek out a used copy of The Order: 1886 on eBay. Got damn, you all weren't kidding--this game holds up!

I remember renting it upon its release and remember not being in the mood for this "8-hour cutscene" as it was reviewed at the time. But with the way the story, characters, and world are well-fleshed out and how those cutscenes seamlessly blend with gameplay...I legit forget that I'm watching a game with how engrossing it is. Then I'm in the action. Seriously good stuff!

Top Bottom