• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would 2020 have looked like if the Coronavirus never happened?

JordanN

Banned
It's only been 5 months into the new year and also the new decade and yet life as we know it is completely different forever.

Yet what if we were given another chance? Pretend the Coronavirus shit never left China and we go back to where we where in January 2020?

Would we still be talking about Kobe Bryant and Qasem Soleimani?

Yzm5TIW.png

People would have thought you're weird for picking up two bags of toilet paper.

B8nVYbd.jpg

There would be no restrictions on where you could go. You could have walked into a packed movie theater and no one would change seats for you.

7MtUw56.jpg

Sony and Microsoft would have just now started hyping their new consoles and plan to reveal them on stage at e3.

CnDPukd.jpg

XFL might have had a real chance at taking on the NFL.

XLbU8M0.jpg

Anything else?

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Things were depressing then but at least we could get through it together. Now we can’t even stay near our friends without fear

All I ask is that people try their best to research and keep fighting the virus as well as preventing the virus

I’m a huge fan of Kobe’s work. Saw him play live in 2004, 2009, 2010, and 2011. His game is unparalleled. Many will hail Michael Jordan as the greatest to ever play but personally I always though Kobe Bryant was right there with him and excelled in ways Jordan had not and vice versa. Both I see as the greatest

But all his friends and family are right, Kobe Bryant would have called us all babies with a chuckle and told us chin up keep going be tough and to do your thing and be the best at it. He would encourage hard work and creativity and curiosity and the mamba mentality. The mindset of never giving up. The mindset of continuously striving to better yourself and push on to be the best. Toughness and the limitless will to fight was embodied in his work; the way he played and the way he carried himself

2020 has been a very chaotic year due to the Wuhan virus / COVID-19 but I refuse to let it do anymore damage if I can help prevent it. Personally, I can’t say how it would look without it, but it’s forced a lot of us to step up and think differently and I for one am trying to rise to the occasion and learn

It's only been 5 months into the new year and also the new decade and yet life as we know it is completely different forever.

Yet what if we were given another chance? Pretend the Coronavirus shit never left China and we go back to where we where in January 2020?

Would we still be talking about Kobe Bryant and Qasem Soleimani?

Yzm5TIW.png

People would have thought you're weird for picking up two bags of toilet paper.

B8nVYbd.jpg

There would be no restrictions on where you could go. You could have walked into a packed movie theater and no one would change seats for you.

7MtUw56.jpg

Sony and Microsoft would have just now started hyping their new consoles and plan to reveal them on stage at e3.

CnDPukd.jpg

XFL might have had a real chance at taking on the NFL.

XLbU8M0.jpg

Anything else?
I agree with this all. Except the xfl bit.

I'd be going to my first Euro's in person in London this summer until Euro 2020 got cancelled and my club Liverpool would've been crowned champions of England for the first time in 30 years.

If there is a god then he's got a fucking sense of humor alright.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It might look different, the movie industry isn't getting paid through theaters but in people now consider streaming new movies.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I would have been in either Italy or Seattle on my vacation but every travel plan is scrapped for the entire year. Possibly next too. Also looked forward to Euro 2020.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It was actually looking pretty good for a lot of businesses, could have been the best year for a lot of them. Now it’s the worst year ever.

JordanN

Banned
Ah shit, I forgot the biggest one.

The Olympics would have still taken place this year. And we would have seen that Mario opening again.

zTWCdVr.jpg

jIyGKZz.jpg

Now there's a possibility it might be cancelled next year.

CBC News said:
If the coronavirus remains a global threat and the rescheduled Summer Olympics can't be held in 2021, they will be cancelled, the president of the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee said.

Yoshiro Mori told Nikkan Sports of Japan in an article published Tuesday that the games won't be postponed a second time. They were scheduled to be held July 24 through Aug. 9 but were reset for July 23 to Aug. 8, 2021.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Gold Member
Corona is doing humankind a favor. It makes humans think about the structure of their societies and their shortcoming (for example weak health-care systems), as well as how fragile the current economic system is. It makes them think about the environment, by showing the world that slowing down the economy has a positive effect on the earth. At the same time people realize that it is very stupid and dangerous to not listen to experts and downplaying dangers, like for example, global warming and the continued polution of the earth in various ways.

"It's just the flu, right". Same with global warming and environmental issues, but the the difference, that once things go bad, there won't be the hope for a magical vaccination that cures everything.

It will hopefully have an postive effect on people and make them smarter and a bit wiser when it is all over.

Papa

Banned
Corona is doing humankind a favor. It makes humans think about the structure of their societies and their shortcoming (for example weak health-care systems), as well as how fragile the current economic system is. It makes them think about the environment, by showing the world that slowing down the economy has a positive effect on the earth. At the same time people realize that it is very stupid and dangerous to not listen to experts and downplaying dangers, like for example, global warming and the continued polution of the earth in various ways.

"It's just the flu, right". Same with global warming and environmental issues, but the the difference, that once things go bad, there won't be the hope for a magical vaccination that cures everything.

It will hopefully have an postive effect on people and make them smarter and a bit wiser when it is all over.

Reminder

“Humans are the cancer and nature is fighting it. We all get what we deserve in the end.”

The coronavirus is not the enemy. Humans are the true virus. The earth/nature is just fighting this disease (us humans) with its own ways, which is the corona virus. AIDS in modern times and the plague in the middle ages are another examples of that.

Neverending consumption and reckless capitalism/greed for more is destroying the earth. Viruses are a way of the earth to restore balance in nature.

Humans are the cancer and nature is fighting it. We all get what we deserve in the end.

JordanN

Banned
Funny you say this.

I didn't take a picture, but I was outside today and saw a long line up of cars at the drive-thru at Tim Hortons. This is a coffee shop were people typically just buy a single coffee or donut.

But because there's no more dine in option, it means someone just hops in their car, idles in line and then just drives away while only purchasing a single item (like a drink).

In fact, since a lot of dine-in places are now banned, it means take-out/delivery becomes the next option. But that now means more cars on the road just delivering people small meals.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Gold Member
Funny you say this.

I didn't take a picture, but I was outside today and saw a long line up of cars at the drive-thru at Tim Hortons. This is a coffee shop were people typically just buy a single coffee or donut.

But because there's no more dine in, it means someone just hops in their car, idles in line and then just drives away while only purchasing a single item (like a drink).

In fact, since a lot of dine-in places are now banned, it means take-out/delivery becomes the next option. But that now means more cars on the road just delivering people small meals.

That might be true. But think about all the air planes that are NOT flying right now all over the world. Or for example fewer cargo ships on the ocean. You do realize that these two types of transportation cause the most damage to the environment. Especially when it comes to cargo ships, as just one cargo ship produces as much polution as 40.000 cars.

So I'd argue, the saved polution caused by the amount of fewer airplanes and probably ships operating right now, is still higher tha the polution increase by all those extra people driving through drive throughs.

I'm more curious what 2021 will look like when 80% of the worlds population gets lung herpes.

Watch it turn out that covid-19 has some screwed up long term side effect no one knew about. In the future all of the infected plebs and their infected cum spawn have to live in cordoned off quarantine ghettos.

JordanN

Banned
I'm more curious what 2021 will look like when 80% of the worlds population gets lung herpes.

Watch it turn out that covid-19 has some screwed up long term side effect no one knew about. In the future all of the infected plebs and their infected cum spawn have to live in cordoned off quarantine ghettos.
It actually does.

There have been recorded cases of people's lungs turning into honey comb shapes after being exposed to the virus.

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned

People are already generally doing the best we can with what we’re given. We don’t need some massive setback to open our eyes to the fact that we need to do better. Things like the coronavirus are a net negative and there’s no amount of mental gymnastics that will make will change the mathematics of that equation. You are essentially saying that every natural disaster, no matter how many people it kills or buildings it takes down, is actually a good thing.

Sorry, but it’s only good in your fantasy mental construction.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

Oh, such savagery!

TheMan

I think you're only half right about E3 since Sony pulled out like a teen on prom night. Point stands though, we'd be getting info pretty soon

I'd be rocking a new car but that has been put on hold due to potential (although looking less likely perhaps?) salary cuts

There'd be more shit on TV about Harry and Megan and their split from the royals. Now that I think about it, COVID may have been worth it just so i don't have to hear any more about that inconsequential bullshit

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Everyone would still be arguing about completely unimportant shit, so that's one nice thing to be missing (for the most part). It's definitely been a while since I heard anyone moaning about pronouns.

JordanN

Banned
My favorite and only TV show I watch today, Battlebots, was suppose to begin the newest Season on May 15th but it has been postponed indefinitely.

I'm actually kind of worried for some of these niche competitions/events. It was only recently Battlebots was revived again and actually found a new channel who was willing to air them.

Basically, the more you delay these projects the more they go back to the same risk of Television Networks not willing to sponsor them anymore.

Last edited:

Skyfox

Gamescom was cancelled. Like half a million people go to that. It's amazing and I've been lucky enough to go a few times.

I'd say lots of videogames we dont know about have been delayed by 6 months.

eot

Banned
Forest fires? RIP Australia

edit: I guess they started in 2019 actually

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
It would have been just like any other year: dependent on the life you make it, and some random luck. Instead of the terrible everything everyone wanted you to believe it was because Kobe died.

For me, work would have definitely gone better. At the worst, my job was going to get easier as the planets were aligning in my favor. At the best, there was some new opportunities that have since been axed.

lock2k

Banned
My favorite and only TV show I watch today, Battlebots, was suppose to begin the newest Season on May 15th but it has been postponed indefinitely.

I'm actually kind of worried for some of these niche competitions/events. It was only recently Battlebots was revived again and actually found a new channel who was willing to air them.

Basically, the more you delay these projects the more they go back to the same risk of Television Networks not willing to sponsor them anymore.
Found Battlebots by accident like 2 weeks ago. My daughter loved it. She builds a lot of Lego robots and has a robot obssession. She was thrilled. Need to watch more of it.

As for 2020. Fuck this year. I will erase it from my memory.

zeorhymer

We'd have another season of Batwoman, Dr. Who, Supergirl, She-Ra, all female Star Wars, and a whole host of other things.

Top Bottom