• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would a Skyward Sword remake or remaster need to do to convince you to buy?

SinDelta

I thought Skyward Sword was terrible in many aspects, would have been the most disappointing game I've ever played if Mass Effect 3/Deadspace 3 did not exist and the remaster would need to massively overhaul and improve the game for me to get it.

That said, as much as I enjoyed Breath of the Wild course correcting I also think it went a little too far in the other direction removing themed dungeons and the good parts of the post Ocarina of Time Zelda games/formula.

Skyward Sword remaster could start by:

Bring graphics up to par.
Remove either the time or the insta fail for the Silent realms. In fact remove the Silent realms and replace them with something not terrible.
Don't reuse bosses
Have actual bosses and not oversized scorpions or stand ins from Monsters Inc.
Magic meter
Tons of stuff to do in sky and overworld
Have Fi take influence from Midna in being helpful instead of, what we actually got.

Probably not feasible, but the game should have done it anyways:
Actually have the events and lore mentioned in Ocarina of Times backstory. The 7 sages, the actual foundation of Hyrule, the gorons, the zora, the gerudo, kokori ect. One of the few things I remember the game doing right was Impa and her role as a Sheikah and protector of Zelda.
Overhaul the quests and quest progression. Do something besides basic fetch quest after fetch quest. Does not need to be the Witcher 3 quality, but it does not have to be Skyward Sword quality either.

Ect.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
No Fi and her stupid handholding.

Let me skip the entire intro...that glorified tutorial...that 45 min slog where you're stuck in that god forsaken town. It kills replayability as I never want to go back due to it.

Don't make me fight that awful blob boss 3 bloody times in a row. Crap boss. Crap design. Uninteresting combat. Why did they think it was so special that we had to do it three times?

That stupid collectathon towards the second half.

I'm one of the few that actually really enjoyed that game. But the 4 things above really soured it for me.

(no point mentioning non-motion controls given traditional control options are already confirmed)

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I enjoyed it a lot the first time. Biggest issue was the resolution.

I'll try out the pro controller mode but the game really shines with motion controls.

kunonabi

As someone who adores the original, nothing. Nintendo botched the TP remaster pretty badly so I have no interest in what they might do to SS. I'm perfectly fine with my Wii copy. Which isn't to say there aren't a couple things I wouldn't tweak but there is no chance of them doing them.

Tg89

Trademark would have to expire and someone make an entirely different and unrelated game that has the same name. And have that game be good.

skyward sword is absolute ass. Worst 3D Zelda and it’s not even close. Can’t believe I bought motion+ for that shit.

Last edited:

lestar

- disable FI option
- Hires textures and modern eye candy like Wind Waker remaster did
- remove that paint like filter
- remove that stupids collectatons and repetitive battles with the imprisoned that artificially tried to extend the game
- remove or extend shield durability. when you get the hylian shield you forget all other shields and durability shit for the rest of the game
- add some life to the sky overworld, apart from skyloft, bar island and a pair other tiny floating islands with 1 npc, the sky was a dead and boring world

with all this changes at least, be $40 max, if not, be $25

Barakov

Gold Member
I never played the Wii version so this remaster is enough for me to check it out. Especially since I won't have to use waggle.

Last edited:

Neff

- Stop Fi from explaining puzzles
- Disable the prompt which tells you about loot pick ups after jumping back into a save

That's it, that's really all they need to fix. Game is otherwise fine.

Fbh

I've always heard it's the worst offender in the franchise when it comes to excessive hand holding and babysitting. So hopefully way less of that.

But it's Nintendo so I expect little beyond a basic upres for $60.

I'll probably just buy used and resell for the same price as most Nintendo games.

Top Bottom