• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you like to see Larian Studio work on next?

Larian studios is what most people think CDPR is. An RPG developer that understands the core of their genre like no other. With baldurs gate 3 soon to be out of early access what would you like to see them work on next? As a studio who I think is the best in the rpg genre their out put is really low but once fully complete with baldurs gate I'd love to see them develop the next crpg fallout game. Back to the roots, isometric with more choices than you can imagine.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I haven't been impressed with what Larian has done with BG3. It took them many months just to almost get the design mostly reflecting that of their source material (5e rules) - I mean, 1d4 level 1-3 enemies like goblins all having bombs, throwable poisons, along with melee weapons and ranged weapons, even wielding high-level magic, nearly unbound movement regardless of class, etc, etc ,etc. It's as if they had never even read a D&D manual and were just winging it for the first year and a half there.

Even so, even after their numerous changes to make it closer to D&D aesthetically and mechanically, it still feels like a Divinity 2 skin at times - especially with the over reliance on surface effects and other Divinity mechanics. So I am still waiting to see what their finished product looks like.

Owlcat Games, with what they did with Pathfinder: Kingmaker enhanced, is far, far more impressive and interesting to me. That game is better realized in every single way, and even feels more like a Forgotten Realms, D&D product (albeit based on the older and now open source ruleset). I would like to see Owlcat take on a new entry in the Icewind Dale series, or perhaps a new Forgotten Realms property set in an area that hasn't been covered much before, like the Moonshaes.

MetalRain

I'd like to see some kind of more grounded and dark RPG from Larian. Something like their take on Wasteland, Fallout, Kenshi etc. But maybe they have their reasons to keep making high fantasy worlds.

Labadal

Divinity 3. Not Divinity: Original Sin 3.

An action rpg, that is not fully open world, but has big, open hubs.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Ultima series reboot.

I've love them to remake all the Ultima trilogies.

I spoke to Sven during the Kickstarter campaign for the first D:OS game, and he said that U7 was a huge inspiration for the design of D:OS.

Represent each trilogy with a single massive game so:

Ultima: The Age of Darkness (Ultima I - III)
Ultima: The Age of Enlightenment (Ultima IV - VI)
Ultima: The Age of Armageddon (Ultima VII pt. 1 and 2 - IX)

I think I would die happy if this ever came into fruition.

Last edited:

niilokin

Ultima series reboot.
Hungry Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
a cyberpunk (the genre) game. i've been wanting a good cyberpunk crpg. something more along the lines of Cyberpunk 2077/Deus Ex and not that Shadow Run trash.

i think Cyberpunk (the pen & paper game) deserves a proper crpg game. Baldur's Gate was based on DND and those games are good. I never expected CDPR to do that with 2077 but i did hope it would be more of an RPG. what we got was just a story heavy action game with some bullshit RPG elements.

i don't know if CDPR own the rights to cyberpunk games. if not, it would be cool if Mike Pondsmith let Larian do a cyberpunk game.

Last edited:

anothertech

Ultima series reboot.

I've love them to remake all the Ultima trilogies.

I spoke to Sven during the Kickstarter campaign for the first D:OS game, and he said that U7 was a huge inspiration for the design of D:OS.

Represent each trilogy with a single massive game so:

Ultima: The Age of Darkness (Ultima I - III)
Ultima: The Age of Enlightenment (Ultima IV - VI)
Ultima: The Age of Armageddon (Ultima VII pt. 1 and 2 - IX)

I think I would die happy if this ever came into fruition.
Holy shit Ultima remake. Can you imagine

a cyberpunk (the genre) game. i've been wanting a good cyberpunk crpg. something more along the lines of Cyberpunk 2077/Deus Ex and not that Shadow Run trash.

i think Cyberpunk (the pen & paper game) deserves a proper crpg game. I never expected CDPR to do that with 2077 but i did hope it would be more of an RPG but what we got was just a story heavy action game with some bullshit RPG elements.

i don't know if CDPR own the rights to cyberpunk games. if not, it would be cool if Mike Pondsmith let Larian do a cyberpunk game.

Shadowrun games had lower budget than Deus Ex, Cyberpunk etc.

They nailed the atmosphere so that was good.

If BG3 lives up to the expectation and the legacy of the series keep them coming.

What I played in the beta was promising but you never know.

Last edited:
Ascent RPG to build out the corporate dystopia world.
Then Ascent 2 in a few years as an action RPG, with the original Ascent team

It's a cool cyberpunk setting.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As boring as it sounds, expansions for Baldurs Gate III they only have the base 5e ruleset classes, subclasses and I believe races, I would love to see additional classes and subclasses from the additional source books.

The early access is fantastic and really it would be insane for them not to double down and give us some new fun tools to play with... you could for example be a Tortle Samurai called Leonardo for maximum turtle power.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Since they ruined Baldur's Gate making it just Divinity 3, I hope they only work on Divinity games for ever and ever.

Sinfulgore

Square should let them make a Final Fantasy game. A Final Fantasy game that plays like Divinity Original Sin would be awesome.

Irobot82

Larian studios is what most people think CDPR is. An RPG developer that understands the core of their genre like no other. With baldurs gate 3 soon to be out of early access what would you like to see them work on next? As a studio who I think is the best in the rpg genre their out put is really low but once fully complete with baldurs gate I'd love to see them develop the next crpg fallout game. Back to the roots, isometric with more choices than you can imagine.
Core of their genre.

Takes a TRCwP and turns is turn based. Not even giving both like Owlcat does.
Takes a 6 party team down to 4, shoehorning the classic F,M,C,T.

Larian is making a D&D game, not of BG game.

But I do love what they got right now in EA. It's a fun game so far.

That being said. I'd love to see a modern take on Ultima.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah OP you already said it, Fallout CRPG with more branching paths than New Vegas.

A Bioshock CRPG would be rad, too.

Raven117

Gold Member
Id love to see them try a slightly different genre but still keep alot of the ideas of cRPGs.

An isometric action rpg (something like Legacy of Kain, Blood Omen), that is not a look pinata, where you can program ahead of time your party could be cool.

Wildebeest

Id love to see them try a slightly different genre but still keep alot of the ideas of cRPGs.

An isometric action rpg (something like Legacy of Kain, Blood Omen), that is not a look pinata, where you can program ahead of time your party could be cool.
The original Divinity was an isometric RPG. It was a cult game at the time since it only got recognition from a few compared to the legions of fanatics hyping up games from the likes of Bioware and Blizzard North.

Raven117

Gold Member
The original Divinity was an isometric RPG. It was a cult game at the time since it only got recognition from a few compared to the legions of fanatics hyping up games from the likes of Bioware and Blizzard North.
You are talking about something different that Divinity: Original Sin?

Wildebeest

You are talking about something different that Divinity: Original Sin?
Divinity 1 was an isometric Diablo type game and the story was about the character, eventually called Lucian the Divine One. Divinity 2 was a third person 3d game about a character called the Dragon Knight. Original Sin was a sort of spin-off about the Source Hunters, but I suppose you could call it Divinity 3.

Fbh

I'm fine if they make more games like Original Sin but I'd like to see them tackle a new setting.
Something Cyberpunk, or Sci Fi or anything a bit less "vanilla" than the world of Original Sin

Divinity 1 was an isometric Diablo type game and the story was about the character, eventually called Lucian the Divine One. Divinity 2 was a third person 3d game about a character called the Dragon Knight. Original Sin was a sort of spin-off about the Source Hunters, but I suppose you could call it Divinity 3.

Divinity 1 is the hilariously named "Divine Divinity" one, right?

Raven117

Gold Member
I can't even find a video of it.

Edit: Here we go.

Id love for them to try something like this! This is exactly what I had in mind. (But not "Diablo"....loot driven).

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
If BG3 lives up to the expectation and the legacy of the series keep them coming.
Impossible to live up to the expectations of one of the greatest RPG’s of all time. It’s already a polarizing game for many who grew up with Baldurs Gate.

That’s okay though it doesn’t have to be for everyone. Nice to see their own spin on it even if I’m not a fan.

Solarstrike

RMTQ1IB.gif

..ZORK reincarnation. Isometric view, ditsy damsels and drunken song, odd tales and lurking Grue's. Probably the occasional in-game Frobozz Co. commercial here or there

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Dragon Commander 2.

Dating sim + politics sim + total war where you get to play as a dragon during the RTS section to mow down the enemies? Why the hell did that concept not get ridiculous traction?

Impossible to live up to the expectations of one of the greatest RPG’s of all time. It’s already a polarizing game for many who grew up with Baldurs Gate.

That’s okay though it doesn’t have to be for everyone. Nice to see their own spin on it even if I’m not a fan.
I grew up with the first BG, I have no problems with what they are doing. BG was Bioware take on something that already existed and translating it into a game, Larian is approaching it the same way.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
I'd love to see them develop the next crpg fallout game. Back to the roots, isometric with more choices than you can imagine.
Larians goofy writing tone is a terrible match for proper Fallout. (dark humor....which Bethesda also completely failed at)

And the art. The death animations in FO 1/2 were pretty brutal. Much more so than in the newer ones. Larian isn't a good match for FO from a vibe/aesthetics standpoint.

Top Bottom