• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would You like to See the most from Playstation Studios?

What- IP/Title/Type Game would you like to see from Sony?

• Total voters

Papacheeks

Banned
I have never done a poll thread so bare with me mods, and Gaf. Since we have been talking about Properties from Activision/Blizzard buyout, and have seen lots of chatter from new found studios and partnerships on Sony's side. I wanted to ask the community and have a fun thread on what we would like to see the most out of Sony in the next couple years?

I wanted to set a Poll if you want a specific type of game/s from them, or would you rather they go back into the vault and re-vitalize a old IP?

I don't want to see dumb ass posts like, they need more mp games. I want you to actually explain what you want in an MP game/what type/ and why.

Let's have some fun!

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Honestly, I would kill for revival of Killzone.
But I don't mean in style of Shadowfall. But gritty Killzone 2 style game (- input lag).
Also I would love new Resistance game from Insomniac.

And Syphon Filter revival.

Supposedly Days Gone takes place in Syphon FILTER world. They also tried to pitch it and no one within the higher ups at studio wanted to do it. 🤷‍♂️

Killzone needs a reboot as in what it is, story, because the story to begin with world wise wasn't strong.

Resistance to me is the better choice. Syphon Filter could be cool if the end game is to bring it back to Days gone by the end of the story, like the chemical warfare is the virus Sarah's research creates.

That could be dope.

Greater gameplay diversity. Greater emphasis on gameplay, instead of realistic or cinematic games.

Naughty Dog used to make cartoon mascot platformers. I'd be 1000x more excited for a new cartoon mascot platformer from them with their current skills than another Troy Baker movie. Many of their teams are fantastic, but make very similar games. They have the hard part down and have created these fantastic teams, but they need to take more risks in my opinion.

They need to make games that you can pick up and play quickly without having to watch a film. Something with immediate gameplay. This is why Astrobot is such an attractive IP for them, but they have locked it behind VR primarily.

My policy for every Sony studio would be to make one small game and one large game at all times. The small games will probably be more inventive.

Guilty_AI

Gravity rush 3

DiVo.gif

Last edited:

NahaNago

I don't think sony has the studios to make the kinds of games I would like.

I also would like an arcade racer. Maybe polyphony digital could create a smaller team to take some of his already made cars plus environments and make an arcade game.

I really wanted for them in the past to make a big budget AAA jrpg. I also think they should have their own fighting game.

WRPG seems like the easiest thing for them to jump into but the size or scope of the game I would want is what they would struggle with I guess but I don't really see them making the big budget wrpg I would like with tons of sidequests and towns to visit. The order 1886 came close to what I wanted but it failed to open up more and be longer. Sony works best at more medium to smaller locations with a small villages and towns and not the gigantic fantasy worlds filled to the brim with towns and people that I would like.

Last edited:

Amornalx

Banned
The three games that i want more from playstation are all new ips:
-A sci-fi jrpg inspired by star ocean made by level 5.
-A roman wrpg made by a new studio like humanoid studios.
-A new fighting game ip made by arc system works.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't think sony has the studios to make the kinds of games I would like.

I really wanted for them in the past to make a big budget AAA jrpg. I also think they should have their own fighting game.

WRPG seems like the easiest thing for them to jump into but the size or scope of the game I would want is what they would struggle with I guess but I don't really see them making the big budget wrpg I would like with tons of sidequests and towns to visit. The order 1886 came close to what I wanted but it failed to open up more and be longer. Sony works best at more medium to smaller locations with a small villages and towns and not the gigantic fantasy worlds filled to the brim with towns and people that I would like.

They may not have the size of studio but their connection with outside developers in Japan is still second to none. I think they would just fund an outside studio instead of having a big Japan studio making games after their initial JRPG that dont sell. Thats what happened to Japan studio.

I think they could totally contract someone to make a JRPG. But I get what your saying.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Naughty Dog used to make cartoon mascot platformers. I'd be 1000x more excited for a new cartoon mascot platformer from them with their current skills than another Troy Baker movie. Many of their teams are fantastic, but make very similar games. They have the hard part down and have created these fantastic teams, but they need to take more risks in my opinion.

As much as I love cartoon platformers and wasn't a big TLOU2 fan this take always baffles me. ND have moved so far beyond that point now, it's been nearly 18 years since Jak 3, they're never ever going back to that style of game and they shouldn't. Their modern talents would be completely wasted on a cartoon platformer, it's not 2003 when mashing GTA into a platformer was something crazy that pushed games forward.

Let Asobi handle that. The guys that made Crash and Jak moved on a long time ago.

SilentUser

Nice thread!

Would love a revival of some legacy titles, specially Resistance and MotorStorm. Also, some old school JRPG from them, but updated to modern standards. Also voted for tactical shooter and horror (Silent Hill, please 😂). And please, give me more Gravity Rush (never going to happen, I know)

NahaNago

They may not have the size of studio but their connection with outside developers in Japan is still second to non. I think they would just fund an outside studio instead of having a big Japan studio making games after their initial JRPG that dont sell. Thats what happened to Japan studio.

I think they could totally contract someone to make a JRPG. But I get what your saying.
Apologies, never read your opening statements and saw you added partnerships to the mix. I'm not a big fan of the partnership thing honestly since the studio could just always just partner up with someone else later. It's why I would prefer if it was just inhouse. It's the reason they are in the predicament they are in right now. since they have been mostly focusing only on the third person cinematic games.

Last edited:
As much as I love cartoon platformers and wasn't a big TLOU2 fan this take always baffles me. ND have moved so far beyond that point now, it's been nearly 18 years since Jak 3, they're never ever going back to that style of game and they shouldn't. Their modern talents would be completely wasted on a cartoon platformer, it's not 2003 when mashing GTA into a platformer was something crazy that pushed games forward.

Let Asobi handle that. The guys that made Crash and Jak moved on a long time ago.
Moved on to making the same TPS over and over again on PS3 and PS4.

I like graphics and a nice story as much as most people, but ultimately I categorize things in terms of the gameplay. Neither of their series are meaingfully that different from Gears of War in terms of the core gameplay. These are PS3 / 360 era TPS games where you crouch behind cover and have light stealth. Like, I've done that man! Shooters are fun, but I'm craving some variety.

I would 100% be more excited for a platformer. A platformer is the purest expression of what a game is. You move and jump. All other aspects of the game are expressed through carefully crafted level design. You have to actually design levels. That is not "behind" Gears of War style games.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Apologies, never read your opening statements and saw you added partnerships to the mix. I'm not a big fan of the partnership thing honestly since the studio could just always just partner up with someone else later. It's why I would prefer if it was just inhouse. It's the reason they are in the predicament they are in right now. since they have been mostly focusing only on the third person cinematic games.

What predicament? Have you seen in the past couple weeks to months how many new studios have been founded that Sony is partnering with for what looks like a ton of MP games from different genre's. Now if they dont buy those studios and these games that are in the works are a one off, then I would say you are 100% right.

I like graphics and a nice story as much as most people, but ultimately I categorize things in terms of the gameplay. Neither of their series are meaingfully that different from Gears of War in terms of the core gameplay. These are PS3 / 360 era TPS games where you crouch behind cover and have light stealth. Like, I've done that man! Shooters are fun, but I'm craving some variety.

I would 100% be more excited for a platformer. A platformer is the purest expression of what a game is. You move and jump. All other aspects of the game are expressed through carefully crafted level design. You have to actually design levels. That is not "behind" Gears of War style games.

I think Ratchet and clank could be great with co-op, and I think it proves if you put enough effort into a platformer you can make something that pops. I want a re-imagined Sly Cooper, and a re-imagined Jak/DAXTER. But I don't think they would be made by the original studios. WHich to me would defeat the point.

I AGREE. I want a new Slycooper, they could make it very MGS and funny.

Last edited:

NahaNago

What predicament? Have you seen in the past couple weeks to months how many new studios have been founded that Sony is partnering with for what looks like a ton of MP games from different genre's. Now if they dont buy those studios and these games that are in the works are a one off, then I would say you are 100% right.
They don't own those studios and you are simply being hopeful that they will continue to make games for Sony. We don't know what type of deal they have going on. Probably more than one game I would guess but then they could go elsewhere or get bought by someone else. Sony made tons of deals with Bethesda right before they got bought as well so I'm going to lower my hopes for Sony until they buy those studios you mentioned.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

No, as in, moved on from Naughty Dog - the creative leads who came up with Crash and Jak left a long time ago and had no part in Uncharted/TLOU.

And sure, but ND are expressing what a game can be through direction instead, whether we liked the final result or not (I actually like all the Uncharted games a lot). They're certainly getting stale but I think the idea of ND taking a giant leap backwards to what they used to do just makes no sense on any level, they push the medium in other ways that most studios can only dream of. It just doesn't suit them anymore and would be a big old waste of time/resources.

At the very least we can hope their next game does something more imaginative than Indiana Jones or zombies.

Kokoloko85

I voted for JRPG. WRPG and legacy titles, PS and non PS legacy titles.

Also gimme some platformers /adventure games like Jak n Daxter and Sly Cooper
A fighting game, a couple different 1st person shooters and an open world racing game would be good too

Papacheeks

Banned
They don't own those studios and you are simply being hopeful that they will continue to make games for Sony. We don't know what type of deal they have going on. Probably more than one game I would guess but then they could go elsewhere or get bought by someone else. Sony made tons of deals with Bethesda right before they got bought as well so I'm going to lower my hopes for Sony until they buy those studios you mentioned.

This is why I said it depends on what happens. Sony is funding the games themselves with Deviation Games and Jade Redmond's game. They own Firesprite and Fabrik which are all making MP games plus VR. Lond Studio is making a AAA MP game of sorts.

Deviation has now two studios and their first Project is 100% funded by Sony.(ex COD and bungie devs).

No, as in, moved on from Naughty Dog - the creative leads who came up with Crash and Jak left a long time ago and had no part in Uncharted/TLOU.

And sure, but ND are expressing what a game can be through direction instead, whether we liked the final result or not (I actually like all the Uncharted games a lot). They're certainly getting stale but I think the idea of ND taking a giant leap backwards to what they used to do just makes no sense on any level, they push the medium in other ways that most studios can only dream of. It just doesn't suit them anymore and would be a big old waste of time/resources.

At the very least we can hope their next game does something more imaginative than Indiana Jones or zombies.
ahh, I see your point now.

I'm personally not that nostalgic for any of the previous Sony IP like Jak or Sly. Ideally I'd like them to just make new IP instead. I didn't mean that I need the original creators of Jak to make a Jak game or something. I'd be fine with Neil Druckman making a cartoon fantasy game, or a sci-fi game, or anything where the gameplay being fun takes precedent over every aspect of the world seeming realistic. My only point really is just that they're all extremely talented and should experiment a lot more. I'm pretty open minded on whatever they want to ultimately try.

Reactions: AV
I want to see something unique coming from Sony. I still struggle to understand why they simply closed Japan Studio. I understand that the economics weren’t there but people and the media talked a lot about these games. Almost like free marketing for the company.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I picked 3... which all turned out to be the 3 current top picks...

However I think I just really want a new Ridge Racer... followed closely by a new Killzone and then followed by a MGS remake..

I mean come on, who wouldent want a new RIIIIIIDDDDGGEEEEEE RACER!

Papacheeks

Banned
I want to see something unique coming from Sony. I still struggle to understand why they simply closed Japan Studio. I understand that the economics weren’t there but people and the media talked a lot about these games. Almost like free marketing for the company.

Even with the Free marketing all the games in the past 10 years that came from Japan studio hardly made a profit. And then were consultants/facilitators for From Software Bloodborne. LIke the fact that Japan studio helped make Demons Souls and a Western Studio did most of the work for a remake shows you that the old guard was holding the studio back.

And because of legacy clauses with how the studio was formed unless they left, or you moved projects over to other studio as in condensing they would still have contract wise their positions. So once they made Team Asobi the Japan studio runners, they basically folded projects they had to Team Asobi which would choose what they would work on and what got put on the back burner. This in a sense forced Old Producers/Directors from Japan studio to eithe rwork on what Team Asobi wanted or leave.

Which is what they did. They literally wanted to make a new Siren game? Those games dont sell, and for SOny to continue on in a super competitive field you need WW branding even in niche titles.

NahaNago

This is why I said it depends on what happens. Sony is funding the games themselves with Deviation Games and Jade Redmond's game. They own Firesprite and Fabrik which are all making MP games plus VR. Lond Studio is making a AAA MP game of sorts.

Deviation has now two studios and their first Project is 100% funded by Sony.(ex COD and bungie devs).
I'm still at a wait and see mode right now. This is great that Sony will have a couple more exclusives in the future but after all of Microsoft's purchase I just find that Sony will be really behind after this year. They need more variety and the studios to do that. I'm glad that they are talking mp games a lot more seriously this gen. It should have been their major push at the start of this gen considering how well they did with those single player third person games during the ps4.

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm still at a wait and see mode right now. This is great that Sony will have a couple more exclusives in the future but after all of Microsoft's purchase I just find that Sony will be really behind after this year. They need more variety and the studios to do that. I'm glad that they are talking mp games a lot more seriously this gen. It should have been their major push at the start of this gen considering how well they did with those single player third person games during the ps4.

Totally 100%. I'm in the same boat. I mean especially after Destruction All stars and Predator hunting grounds.

Im hoping Sony learned from those two titles. Hence I think now we are seeing them take Twisted metal Away from Lucid, and maybe giving them an arcade racer to make like Motorstorm? I mean I think we dont see anything from these until sometime next year to be honest.

NahaNago

Totally 100%. I'm in the same boat. I mean especially after Destruction All stars and Predator hunting grounds.

Im hoping Sony learned from those two titles. Hence I think now we are seeing them take Twisted metal Away from Lucid, and maybe giving them an arcade racer to make like Motorstorm? I mean I think we dont see anything from these until sometime next year to be honest.
It's not that I frown upon partnerships it's just Sony has pretty much used in the past that games would either come exclusively to playstation or also come to playstation in the past and now the majority of the big name old Japanese exclusives are all coming to xbox as well as pc. These were things they yelled as exclusive during the ps3 era. Bethesda games and Cod will also soon be eventually exclusive as well. So I'm just not as hyped for partnerships or purchased exclusives outside of the next Bayonetta for the switch.

With that said I'm still mostly cool with them making big budget third person cinematic games for the most part since I rarely play mp games :LOL:

Papacheeks

Banned
It's not that I frown upon partnerships it's just Sony has pretty much used in the past that games would either come exclusively to playstation or also come to playstation in the past and now the majority of the big name old Japanese exclusives are all coming to xbox as well as pc. These were things they yelled as exclusive during the ps3 era. Bethesda games and Cod will also soon be eventually exclusive as well. So I'm just not as hyped for partnerships or purchased exclusives outside of the next Bayonetta for the switch.

With that said I'm still mostly cool with them making big budget third person cinematic games for the most part since I rarely play mp games :LOL:
It's funny, as I get older, I find myself playing more casual online stuff. Like halo is my new social game. We get on and play big team battle and have a blast. But I can only do that on weekends and its only fun when you play with friends in my opinion. Same with Co-cop stuff like back4blood or deep rock galactic. Primarily I've been playing a lot on PS5. I just finished ME:Legacy, and am playing deep rock galactic, and Persona strikers. Soon going to lose my life to Horizon. But for $10 im going to pick up Uncharted legacy collection.

sainraja

Greater gameplay diversity. Greater emphasis on gameplay, instead of realistic or cinematic games.

They need to make games that you can pick up and play quickly without having to watch a film. Something with immediate gameplay. This is why Astrobot is such an attractive IP for them, but they have locked it behind VR primarily.

My policy for every Sony studio would be to make one small game and one large game at all times. The small games will probably be more inventive.
I think you are downplaying what makes their style different than others by saying they need to emphasize gameplay first — I think they do emphasize gameplay as well but it is all in combination — a good blend. That is their strength. I think they put emphasis on all those things and some people forget but linear games such as the ones they are pushing existed prior — one example of a good one, that blended story, narrative and gameplay was Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and ofcourse a game by Sony themselves —> God of War. We don't need ND to work on games similar to other devs. I like their style and wanting them to change theirs to match everyone else's is silly IMO.

All Uncharted games have done the same with a good variety in gameplay. I think ND should stick to what they do best and expand upon it. Although I wouldn't mind your suggestion of ND trying to focus on their bread and better while also making some smaller games.

Last edited:
I think you are downplaying what makes their style different than others by saying they need to emphasize gameplay first — I think they do emphasize gameplay as well but it is all in combination — a good blend. That is their strength. I think they put emphasis on all those things and some people forget but linear games such as the ones they are pushing existed prior — one example of a good one, that blended story, narrative and gameplay was Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and ofcourse a game by Sony themselves —> God of War. We don't need ND to work on games similar to other devs. I like their style and wanting them to change theirs to match everyone else's is silly IMO.

All Uncharted games have done the same with a good variety in gameplay. I think ND should stick to what they do best and expand upon it. Although I wouldn't mind your suggestion of ND trying to focus on their bread and better while also making some smaller games.
I think what you want is far more realistic than what I want. They will probably continue building on what they've previously created. They have invested a lot, and have experience in that area. And the games are extremely successful.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I would love if Sony brought back Legend of Dragoon with a FF7R-style remake, developed by Bluepoint Games. At the same time, I think it could be very interesting if they managed to get some external IP like Silent Hill in the hands of Kojima Productions with SIE backing the project, as it is being reported at the moment. That would really be a megaton.

Last edited:

Fbh

I'll always prefer new IP's.

Personally I'd love to see Sony invest more in Japan, they are already 90% western focused and they have decent variety on that front.
But I'd love to see something like a big exclusive AAA JRPG, or a character action game in the vein of DMC/Bayonetta, or a proper big Astrobot game that's comparable in content to a Mainline Mario, or some fun original mix of genres like Yakuza, or some unique multiplayer game that's not a shooter like Monster Hunter, etc.

NahaNago

I'll always prefer new IP's.

Personally I'd love to see Sony invest more in Japan, they are already 90% western focused and they have decent variety on that front.
But I'd love to see something like a big exclusive AAA JRPG, or a character action game in the vein of DMC/Bayonetta, or a proper big Astrobot game that's comparable in content to a Mainline Mario, or some fun original mix of genres like Yakuza, or some unique multiplayer game that's not a shooter like Monster Hunter, etc.
Yeah, I'd like to see them invest more in Japan as well. Don't mind the older ip's though. 3 areas they probably should work on is the Japanese side of things, creating some smaller studios for those indie style games whether it be for the emotional drama type stuff or the breath takingly beautiful cartoony style, and the mp side of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

Yeah, I'd like to see them invest more in Japan as well. Don't mind the older ip's though. 3 areas they probably should work on is the Japanese side of things, creating some smaller studios for those indie style games whether it be for the emotional drama type stuff or the breath takingly beautiful cartoony style, and the mp side of things.

Yup.
Hell, half the reason I want a Ps5 instead of a Series X is their closer relationship with japanese studios and publishers.
Xbox is getting better but as of right now I have a higher certainty I'll be able to play the next big Square, Atlus, Platinum, Sega, etc game on Ps5 than Xbox.

If they expand their japanese presence from timed exclusive deals to proper first party studios/games they'll keep me as a customer.

Honestly, I would kill for revival of Killzone.
But I don't mean in style of Shadowfall. But gritty Killzone 2 style game (- input lag).
Also I would love new Resistance game from Insomniac.

And Syphon Filter revival.
I take anything but killzone. literally anything. Even Syphon.

Top Bottom