• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whatever happened to........Bionic Commando?

turtlepowa

Banned
I am thinking about getting the 2009 release for the 360, seems ok by the looks of it, how come there hasn't been another entry in the series? If Vanquish can get a re-master why not Bionic Commando?
There are so many interesting games that deserve a remaster, but we rather see remasters of remasters of cinematic AAAs than a remaster of this one.

RAIDEN1

There are so many interesting games that deserve a remaster, but we rather see remasters of remasters of cinematic AAAs than a remaster of this one.
Yeah I mean at the time it never really got my interest, but then seeing videos of under-rated games from the PS3/360 generation this showed up and got me interested..

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I had to look this up to confirm my shit memory, but I'm pretty sure something like this is why it didn't get more in the series

Joe reveals that Spencer's wife never left, and alludes to the concept that she is actually part of Spencer's bionic arm. According to Super Joe, in order for bionics to work perfectly, they have to sync with their host on both an emotional and physical level. In this case, Spencer's wife was the perfect candidate.

Kuranghi

I had to look this up to confirm my shit memory, but I'm pretty sure something like this is why it didn't get more in the series

Joe reveals that Spencer's wife never left, and alludes to the concept that she is actually part of Spencer's bionic arm. According to Super Joe, in order for bionics to work perfectly, they have to sync with their host on both an emotional and physical level. In this case, Spencer's wife was the perfect candidate.

Holy bums this seems like a total ripoff of Evangelion, maybe just a coincidence though.

I enjoyed 2009 BC a lot, specific sniper sections not-withstanding, I was going to replay it not that long ago but got sidetracked. I really love the music in it, Simon Viklund is excellent, he composed the music for Bionic Commando Rearmed 1 & 2 but he was a senior sound designer and music consultant for the 2009 game and that partntership with whoever composed it worked out really well imo, very cool music thats sombre when it needs to be and epic at other times:

Here is the full playlist as well:

I really like the variety in the game, and it was pretty punishing if you didnt learn the mechanics correctly, people wouldn't have the patience for that nowadays, they'd need to add a PoP 2008 style pit-death-avoiding mechanic to make people not cry at missing the final swing in a level and going back 20 mins. The game also looks amazing if you use SGSSAA for transparency AA since some sections are filled to the brim with chain link fences and similar alpha graphics that don't benefit greatly from just increasing the resolution.

I really liked the different ways of taking out the polycraft and how it really made you earn doing cool moves, although that did go a bit too far at points where you needed to do an almost fighting-game length button sequence/level of timing to do certain moves which stressed me out back then haha.

The bosses were really epic as well, the "Buraq" (Super Joe/Steve Blum calls it the Boo-Rack which makes me laugh) helicraft on top of the destroyed building, I can't find a video of someone being really good at it but this one is okay, one of the coolest things you can do is stand up on one of the "pillars" in the corner, lockon with the missile launcher and then when it starts firing the guns you run towards the camera and jump off the ledge which makes him do a twisting flip and you fire the missiles off in the air, its great:

I would like if they remade/soft rebooted it but its probably a pipe dream, I'm sure people would like it given how popular spiderman is right now.

Last edited:
Hot Dog Girl GIF

RAIDEN1

Holy bums this seems like a total ripoff of Evangelion, maybe just a coincidence though.

I enjoyed 2009 BC a lot, specific sniper sections not-withstanding, I was going to replay it not that long ago but got sidetracked. I really love the music in it, Simon Viklund is excellent, he composed the music for Bionic Commando Rearmed 1 & 2 but he was a senior sound designer and music consultant for the 2009 game and that partntership with whoever composed it worked out really well imo, very cool music thats sombre when it needs to be and epic at other times:

I really like the variety in the game, and it was pretty punishing if you didnt learn the mechanics correctly, people wouldn't have the patience for that nowadays, they'd need to add a PoP 2008 style pit-death-avoiding mechanic to make people not cry at missing the final swing in a level and going back 20 mins. The game also looks amazing if you use SGSSAA for transparency AA since some sections are filled to the brim with chain link fences and similar alpha graphics that don't benefit greatly from just increasing the resolution.

I really liked the different ways of taking out the polycraft and how it really made you earn doing cool moves, although that did go a bit too far at points where you needed to do an almost fighting-game length button sequence/level of timing to do certain moves which stressed me out back then haha.

The bosses were really epic as well, the "Buraq" (Super Joe/Steve Blum calls it the Boo-Rack which makes me laugh) helicraft on top of the destroyed building, I can't find a video of someone being really good at it but this one is okay, one of the coolest things you can do is stand up on one of the "pillars" in the corner, lockon with the missile launcher and then when it starts firing the guns you run towards the camera and jump off the ledge which makes him do a twisting flip and you fire the missiles off in the air, its great:

I would like if they remade/soft rebooted it but its probably a pipe dream, I'm sure people would like it given how popular spiderman is right now.

Exactly take what made Spiderman PS4 great, and put Bionic Commando in it instead...you got a template right there

radewagon

Well, the original game's design was, to put it lightly, horrible. You take your standard platforming shooter and then add a sweet bionic arm to expand on the available platforming options that are traditionally available. Then, you stupidly remove the player's ability to jump. So, even though the bionic arm should offer expanded freedom, it instead becomes a sort of handicap to the player. The game ends up playing more like a puzzle game than anything else. It's beyond frustrating. Now, some may find "fun" within that frustration (heck, Bloodborne is fun), but the appeal is quite limited. Honestly, how rewarding is it to cleverly use your bionic arm to clear a difficult obstacle when simply hopping over it could have accomplished the same thing?

As for modern Bionic Commando. . . just play Spiderman.

Fox Mulder

the story was shit and the final fight was just a QTE event. If I recall correctly, the game also felt like huge content was missing as it introduces a character in a cutscene that is never seen again and you go through an area that felt like a boss arena.

It was a shit game that had some okay swinging gameplay for back then. Something like Spider-Man is better and even blends QTE boss fights better with actual gameplay.

Last edited:

CamHostage

A hidden great aspect of Bionic Commando 2009 was that the production was documented on an early podcast called Top Secret: The Bionic Commando Story.

top_secret_header_23.jpg

Tragically, this is not catalogued on Capcom's website anymore (I think it's no longer findable on iTunes as well?) and there's no Youtube archive of it, but maybe there's a downloadable archive of it out there?

Top Secret was a rare occasion of direct insight into the making of a video game. It had interviews, progress logs, I believe it announced a game (BC:R was confirmed there I think, or maybe they just did an episode the day the trailer hit?), it had the producer telling the inception story and the process of pitching a game to management (which was even more interesting since it was an American producer telling of pitching to Japanese corporate heads,) it was fun to listen to and yet it did once or twice expose some raw nerves (there was a delay announcement in there, I think?) and the team did share opinions of other games from time to time. Looks like team intended to continue the look into Capcom's all-around production process with a follow-up podcast called The Lost Levels, but that never went anywhere as far as I know.

Whether you enjoyed Bionic Commando 2009 (or BC Rearmed), the Top Secret podcast was a special event in game history and it sucks that this ended up being a rarity in big game exposure. I remember Insomniac had The Full Moon Show (very corporate, but very well produced) and maybe there are other shows (audio or video) I've missed along the way, but nothing comes to mind of this kind of invitation into the production process. Gaming got more closed up instead of more open when social media and openly-available multimedia came online.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am thinking about getting the 2009 release for the 360, seems ok by the looks of it, how come there hasn't been another entry in the series? If Vanquish can get a re-master why not Bionic Commando?
it literally sold 25k copies in its first month. thats what happened to it.

dcx4610

Edgy remake no one wanted. Play Bionic Commando Rearmed instead. Great music, gameplay and true to the original.

Tygeezy

I think VR would actually be a good home for a newer bionic commando game. There are a few really good VR titles that have grappling and shooting. In fact, one just released called swarm.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Its a good game if you focus on the good parts
You know, the Vietnam wasn't all bad if you just focus on the good parts
"[X] is good if you focus only on the good parts" is a stupid ideology, and can be pointed to flawed logic in a various amount of scenarios. It removes looking at something in it's whole, and removes objectivity from your analyses. It's shitty because over all, it's shitty. Don't make excuses for it being shitty, embrace it for what it is, a shit game.

"Rape is good if you focus only on the good parts, like people are getting laid!"

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I never said only focus on the good parts though did I and your spoiler text is fucking ridiculous and I won't engage with it. Good day. (y)
It's meant to be ridiculous; saying "If you focus on the good in something, then it's good," is a stupid thought process lol

Here; Yandere Simulator is a good game if you focus on the good parts

P.Jack

That’s it, imma pop this in
Well, the original game's design was, to put it lightly, horrible. You take your standard platforming shooter and then add a sweet bionic arm to expand on the available platforming options that are traditionally available. Then, you stupidly remove the player's ability to jump. So, even though the bionic arm should offer expanded freedom, it instead becomes a sort of handicap to the player. The game ends up playing more like a puzzle game than anything else. It's beyond frustrating. Now, some may find "fun" within that frustration (heck, Bloodborne is fun), but the appeal is quite limited. Honestly, how rewarding is it to cleverly use your bionic arm to clear a difficult obstacle when simply hopping over it could have accomplished the same thing?

As for modern Bionic Commando. . . just play Spiderman.
”If only I could shoot peoples heads off in fighting games”

wat

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Loved playing this when it came out. I remember people on gaf going nuts over the rearmed games too. Only ever played the first one of those but it was pretty good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
NES game - Awesome. One of my fav games. Great graphics and audio. The rocket launcher was OP

XBLA game - Bad impression. Bought it for cheap and remember having tons of screen tearing. Bailed right away

The 3D game with MP - Played the demo. One of the worst 360 games I played

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So checking out the XBLA version would be better than the reboot from 2009?
Maybe the 2009 SP campaign is good? Who knows. The MP was terrible, but there's got to be zero people playing it now so that wont be a concern anymore.

Naked Lunch

Rearmed is one of the best 2d remakes of all time. Rearmed 2 is complete trash.

The 2009 Bionic Commando 3d game is one of my favorite 3d action games. Theres very few games that offer you such quick, tight gameplay where you can scale a building in 2 seconds from the ground level to the top. The game was universally panned during release for its dumb as shit ending - but the gameplay was really good. Music is sublime too as posted earlier.

BC 3d reboot tried to do some cool things with the story like ripping things from Capcom lore like the dudes from Mercs. I bought the game at launch and it included a really awesome comic with a cover by Dave Gibbons of Watchmen fame. The comic adds alot of depth to the story that the game never got the chance to tell - perhaps it hoped for a sequel, but the game bombed.
Its not on xbox's BC (yet) so thats a bummer.

Bionic Commando got really popular well post release with his appearance in Marvel vs Capcom 3 - never panned out to another game though. Maybe some day...

Last edited:

CamHostage

You know Bionic Commando was a remaster itself, right? Remaster a remaster? Where does it end?

I played it on C64 (well, technically on a C128 - same difference but I just like to point it out). It was cool at the time.

Heh, we need to get on the same page of all these Bionic Commandos here...

Bionic Commando Rearmed is something like a "remake" of the NES Bionic Commando, with mostly faithful stage layouts and control mechanisms but brand new bosses and tons of other tweaks (plus muliplayer arenas and test chambers and cool stuff like that.) That NES game had been "remade" several times prior, in different forms, with a Game Boy version that had some different levels and then a GBC game that was kind of a new game but also kind of a remake. And then even before the NES, there was the arcade Bionic Commando (which the NES game was a "reimagining" of as well, back in those primitive glory days where NES game makers often made totally new games instead of straight porting the arcade product) that had a progression system and play structure that's totally different than the NES game.

The C64 & 8bit PC versions are based on the Arcade game, the NES game is it's own thing, the GB and GBC games are sort of but sort of not the NES game, the PS3/360 Rearmed game is sort of the NES game but cranked it up to a whole new level, somewhere in the mix the original Commando and Speed Rumbler factor in (and also Mercs? I never caught that,) the 2009 Bionic Commando 3D game is a sequel to some version of all that (mostly the NES game, but the NES game had you killing Hitler with a bazooka, so...) and all of this should be brought back for those who want them because grappling hooks are fucking fun.

BC:R is kind of a remake of a twice-remade remake of a reimagining, leading into a sequel, which now could use a remaster.

Last edited:

P.Jack

So checking out the XBLA version would be better than the reboot from 2009?
If you’ll only do one, yes, as Rearmed is one of the greatest sidescrollers of all time. And the swing mechanics are such a close rendition of the NES game that you’ll be able to pick that up afterwards and feel right at home.

As for 2009, I just played it for the first time in years and the gameplay is just as intricate and unique as I remembered. This game is a one off, much like its predecessors, which I think is reason alone to give it try.

Banned

it's actually really fun. I played through it on PC a few years back. it has its issues but it is extremely fun and unique.

it is on steam, and from what I played it was fine on PC. I played it on a pretty weak laptop at the time and used an Xbox One controller with the laptop connected to my TV lol
Bionic Commando on Steam (steampowered.com)

Last edited:
Top Bottom