• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's going on with Deathloop and Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Ever since these were announced as PlayStation console "exclusives", it has been basically taken for granted they were 1-year timed exclusives.

Well, Deathloop was release September 14, 2021. And despite Bethesda now being owned by Microsoft, we still haven't gotten a word about the Xbox release. I thought maybe they couldn't say anything until the 14th of this month and it would go straight into GamePass. And I guess it still could, but it seems really odd that it was announced to be going into PS+ Extra at that time.

And one year went by with no word on Final Fantasy VII Remake. Then another one. Surely, Sony couldn't have paid for three years timed exclusivity, right?

What will happen with Ghostwire Tokyo? Could Sony have somehow really negotiated lifetime deals for any of these games? Will Microsoft use their newly purchased publisher games to negotiate these deals reworked and released on Xbox?

Thief1987

In case of FFVII maybe Square thinks it's just not worthwhile to port game to Xbox after so much time passed. Or they are waiting for gamepass check, like why not take a big pile of money for a simple port job.

Mr Hyde

FF 7 will most likely stay exclusive until the whole thing is finished. Sony also seems to have upped their agreements on console exclusives, especially from SE. Forspoken is two years and I expect FF 16 is something similar, if not longer. Sony is very aggressive when it comes to Squeenix top tier games.

wipeout364

Isnt deathloop super woke? Xbox fans should rejoice not getting that game.
Absolutely not in my opinion. Game has a black main character not sure if that counts as woke (it doesn’t for me) but he was amazing. Really loved Deathloop, not as good as dishonored or prey but very solid.

on topic I think FFVII remake will stay exclusive for years and I agree that Deathloop and ghostwire will appear on gamepass when Microsoft needs some PR boost sometime in the next few months.

Last edited:

Neofire

Absolutely not in my opinion. Game has a black main character not sure if that counts as woke (it doesn’t for me) but he was amazing. Really loved Deathloop, not as good as dishonored or prey but very solid.

on topic I think FFVII remake will stay exclusive for years and I agree that Deathloop and ghostwire will appear on gamepass when Microsoft needs some PR boost sometime in the next few months.
Yup to alot of folks in the dominant society woke is code word for black people. I haven't played the game myself so I can't assess it based on it's quality yet.

tommib

Isnt deathloop super woke? Xbox fans should rejoice not getting that game.
Worst take of the week. Have a cookie.
Dance Dancing GIF by The Masked Singer UK & The Masked Dancer UK

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Ever since these were announced as PlayStation console "exclusives", it has been basically taken for granted they were 1-year timed exclusives.

Well, Deathloop was release September 14, 2021. And despite Bethesda now being owned by Microsoft, we still haven't gotten a word about the Xbox release. I thought maybe they couldn't say anything until the 14th of this month and it would go straight into GamePass. And I guess it still could, but it seems really odd that it was announced to be going into PS+ Extra at that time.

And one year went by with no word on Final Fantasy VII Remake. Then another one. Surely, Sony couldn't have paid for three years timed exclusivity, right?

What will happen with Ghostwire Tokyo? Could Sony have somehow really negotiated lifetime deals for any of these games? Will Microsoft use their newly purchased publisher games to negotiate these deals reworked and released on Xbox?
is it the 15th of september already?

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

I am just waiting for ghostwire tokyo to release on gamepass, that’s why i didn’t bought it on PS5.
Hurry dammit!

I'd bet on FF being lifetime. Deathloop will probably be on gamepass sometime between sept 14th and the end of the year. However everyone is just assuming there is an xbox version . . . same deal with ghostwire, a year after its release + a few months it'll probably be on gamepass.

I'd find it pretty funny if there is no xbox version and they just moved on to other projects. Assumptions can make an ass out of you and me.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think Final Fantasy is just straight up a Playstation console exclusive now.
I dont even think Final Fantasy XVI or Final Fantasy VII Rebirth will ever touch the Xbox consoles.

Zathalus

I imagine Final Fantasy VII Remake is a permanent console exclusive and Microsoft just can't mention Deathloop before September 15th.

Stamps1646

Deathloop will be available on Xbox platforms on Sept 14th or the day after.
Ghostwire Tokyo, will be available on Xbox platforms on March 25th 2023 or the day after.

Both games have a 1 year console exclusive with Sony, after that expires MS can talk about it on it's platform.

Sony probably has a 3 to 4 year exclusive to keep FFVII: Remake off Xbox platforms.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
I think Final Fantasy is just straight up a Playstation console exclusive now.
I dont even think Final Fantasy XVI or Final Fantasy VII Rebirth will ever touch the Xbox consoles.
Probably correct. They should just come out and say it. They should also tell how long until second game hits pc.

Fbh

I'd be surprised if Deathloop isn't on Xbox/Gamepass by the end of the year. Might be something as simple as Bethesda not being allowed to announce or talk about another console version until the agreed exclusivity time runs out.

FF7 is a weird one, the initial news always said they had a 1 year exclusivity but clearly Sony and Square extended their deal. I seriously doubt it's a lifetime exclusive as I don't think such a thing as a lifetime third party exclusive really exists anymore, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've made some deal to no have the games on Xbox until a year or two after the entire trilogy has been released

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Would be nice if square trolled warriors by making ff7r part 2 xbox exclusive, then part 3 only on epic/steam. Imagine the meltdowns.

But seriously, I dont think the final fantasy remake is going to xbox, maybe in 10 years or whatever when its outdated, as for Deathloop, it will show up sooner or later, same for Ghostwire.

Fbh

Maybe. It's just odd that it went to PS+ Extra first.

Yes it is but I'd find it even weirder if Microsoft extended the exclusivity deal with Sony.
My guess is Microsoft/Bethesda are just trying to squeeze as much money as they can from the title. From what I recall it was a bit of a flop on both Pc and Ps5 so it's safe to assume it's probably not going to be a massive hit on Xbox either.
It already launched on Ps5 and it's already associated with Ps5, it being on Ps+ Extra is probably not going to affect sales on Xbox or the perception of the average consumer, so if Sony is willing to hand over more cash to have it on Ps+ it might just be too good to say no.

Maybe exclusivity was longer than a year? Year and a half, 2 years? Also maybe Sony when they made the contract also included that the game would come to psNow(now PS+ Extra). Lots of possibilities, as for SE? Well they sure love taking their sweet time to release on Xbox exclusivity deal or not.. They have so many titles that aren't on Xbox despite there being no exclusivity deal and certain games take forever to arrive.

Which game? It's been over two years already on FFVII. Deathloop will be 1 year on the 14th of this month.
For Deathloop. FF7R is SE and SE is weird about Xbox. The best thing that's happened for getting SE games on Xbox has been Gamepass which actively incentives MS to send checks to everyone including SE to get their games on the catalog. Without that Xbox players would be living in the 2014 era of Xbox Japanese support.

For Deathloop. FF7R is SE and SE is weird about Xbox. The best thing that's happened for getting SE games on Xbox has been Gamepass which actively incentives MS to send checks to everyone including SE to get their games on the catalog. Without that Xbox players would be living in the 2014 era of Xbox Japanese support.
That would be crazy if it was two years. I can't remember if they gave an official time or not.

We should know for sure in two weeks, I guess.

Top Bottom