• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's going on with Naughty Dog?

Will Naughty Dog Show Up At the Video Game Awards?

• Yes, but with Cross Gen Factions and TLOU Remake.

Votes: 55 21.1%
  • No. Neil Drunckmann has run the studio to the ground.

Votes: 125 47.9%
  • Yes. Next Gen IP teaser, Next gen TLOU remake trailer, Next gen Factions. Neil's masterplan.

Votes: 53 20.3%
  • No. Topher’s Choice.

Votes: 28 10.7%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This studio has been one of the most productive studios in the business. They are by no means as bad as studios that take 5-7 years to make a game. From 2007 to 2013, they released four games in two year intervals. From 2016 to 2020, they released 3 games in 4 years. Even Uncharted which was in development hell was released in just 3 years, and they turned around and released an 8 hour Lost Legacy in just one year. TLOU 2 despite all its delays still launched roughly 2.5 years after Lost Legacy.

So why is it that 1.5 years since their last game we haven't seen anything from them? No new reveals. No TLOU remaster like they did on PS4. No Left Behind style DLC. 6 months after they launched Uncharted 4, they revealed Lost Legacy at PSX. We are now 18 months since TLOU2 and nothing. They even had that 1080p 60 fps teaser for Uncharted 4 ready in one year back at E3 2014 while they were working on Left Behind and TLOU PS4 remaster. There is a chance they might have something at the VGAs so fingers crossed for that.

Again, this is a VERY productive studio so they are held to a higher standard than say Guerrilla Games, Rockstar or 343i who produce one game every 5 years. 1.5 years is a long time for them to not reveal, let alone release anything. For example, I am very disappointed that they did not release a PS5 sku for TLOU2. Game plays amazing at 60 fps, but it wouldve been great to get the instant loading upgrades from a dedicated PS5 port. The combat encounters take almost a minute to load on the PS5 which makes replayablity a chore since the main campaign is paced so poorly. Having a dedicated PS5 port wouldve also allowed for a far higher resolution, framerate and character model upgrades they were able to include a PS4 port of TLOU. That too in just under a year despite the difficulty of porting the game from a Cell processor based engine.

Besides, what can we expect at the VGA anyway? The Last of Us remake? Factions? Both of them are likely cross gen so it's not like they will blow us away. Is Naughty Dog going to become a 1 game every 5 years studio or can they be productive like they were in the 2010s when they released 7 games in 10 years.

Topher

Gold Member
Love a poll that attaches commentary to it. I can't just vote "No". I have to also vote that Neil Druckmann has run the studio into the ground.

stupid youtube GIF

No longer care. Loved Uncharted, was found of Jak games, loved TLOU1..... Then enter wokista takeover and ousting of Amy, Drukman takeover. ND has never been the same, to me.
Uncharted 4 was bleh of a game. It looked great and was repsonisve but it was missing something that was in the first 3 games.
Then tlou2 happened. .. Won't comment as i didn't play it as i was turned off from it with killing of Joel. One of my favorite games from ps3 and didn't play the sequel.

Uncharted will probably never have a new game with Nathan Drake so i could care less at this point.

Honestly, the ONLY thing I want to see come out of Naughty Dog soon, is a genuine PS5 version of TLOU2 with upgraded graphics/textures and full 4K resolution. No loading times and textures that actually STREAM IN ON TIME.

This is the PS5 version and it takes over a minute to load the tile texture on the ground. That's sad, frankly. It happened on my PS4 Pro as well and not only in this area, but in other areas as well. By the way, the game was running from the internal drive on PS5 with the frame rate patch.

I also tested it on PS5 with NO PATCH (version 1.0) and it was basically the same thing as seen below....

Edit: Also, what's the deal with this sign? It's full resolution when it's just barely off the screen, but if you look at it, it switches to the low res version. What's the point of that?

Last edited:

Ellery

The only thing on the horizon for Naughty Dog I see in the foreseeable future is some Multiplayer Standalone game that is based on the TLOU franchise.
TLOU2 just came out last year and even though they have an amazing track record for the PS3 and PS4 generation releasing multiple AAA games whereas other studios took much longer for lesser quality games, I think we will see something being teased next year at a big Playstation event that is not yet scheduled.

My guess would be a new SciFi or Fantasy IP that was rumored.

So maybe MP game late 2022 and then a new IP early to mid 2024 PS5 exclusive?

SlimySnake

Love a poll that attaches commentary to it. I can't just vote "No". I have to also vote that Neil Druckmann has run the studio into the ground.

stupid youtube GIF
lol Just trying to keep things light. Too often these threads become too serious. I like Neil myself even though I have some issues with where the took the story.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I felt like I needed to take a shower after I finished The Last of Us 2. And not the good kind of shower, like the one you take after a workout or sex. It was more like "fuck me, I feel dirty and disgusted with myself" kind of shower.

But to answer the question - I hope they're doing well and don't abuse their employees anymore.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I expect they will do the multiplayer thing, and I think after that it will be TLOU3 because the story was left kinda open at the end.

However the business heads might not allow if TLOU2 sales were not great, its sold 4million but there has not been a recent sony update on sales figures, guesstimates ive seen online say 6-8million.

TLOU2 would of cost at least $200million. If sony got on average $30/sale and it sold 8 million thats $240 million in revenue. Not that great from a profit stand point, however it does also help the PlayStation brand as having a reputation for the 90+ exclusives.

I dont really see how the retail model for AAA games is sustainable when games need to sell at least 10million to be a sucess, which would be a shame, TLOU2 was a brilliant game and it pushed storytelling in videogames to new levels. I hope we get TLOU3 I want to see what happens to Ellie and her family.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

A new IP would be a good option i believe. I think we've seen everything that had to be done with Uncharted and tlou.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The best studio around hands down.
Will probably have something for TGA, although not more than a teaser.

Whats funny about my post?

TLOU2 is one of my games of the last generation silly.

Your so triggered that even when I say somethings good you think its bad 😂

Bramble

My guess is they're working on a huge MP game, while also making native PS5 apps of TLoU1 + 2. And perhaps they're also involved with the Uncharted remasters. Any day now, probably.

No longer care. Loved Uncharted, was found of Jak games, loved TLOU1..... Then enter wokista takeover and ousting of Amy, Drukman takeover. ND has never been the same, to me.
Uncharted 4 was bleh of a game. It looked great and was repsonisve but it was missing something that was in the first 3 games.
Then tlou2 happened. .. Won't comment as i didn't play it as i was turned off from it with killing of Joel. One of my favorite games from ps3 and didn't play the sequel.

Uncharted will probably never have a new game with Nathan Drake so i could care less at this point.

Imagine not experiencing a masterpiece of fiction and the most awarded game ever made because the storytellers killed off a certain character. Man I love Joel, but it's still ND's story to tell and I still absolutely love it to bits. Each to his own of course.

I also must have played another Uncharted 4. This game is the magnum opus of Uncharted games and is everything I love about the first 3 (and Vita version), in a way more mature way. Best Uncharted ever for me personally, with the second one.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
At this point it seems more last of us, and changing the main character of Uncharted.

SlimySnake

My guess is they're working on a huge MP game, while also making native PS5 apps of TLoU1 + 2. And perhaps they're also involved with the Uncharted remasters. Any day now, probably.

Imagine not experiencing a masterpiece of fiction and the most awarded game ever made because the storytellers killed off a certain character. Man I love Joel, but it's still ND's story to tell and I still absolutely love it to bits. Each to his own of course.

I also must have played another Uncharted 4. This game is the magnum opus of Uncharted games and is everything I love about the first 3 (and Vita version), in a way more mature way. Best Uncharted ever for me personally, with the second one.
Yep, it's Neil's story. He gets to do whatever he wants with Joel. It's like being upset at George R.R Martin for killing off Ned Stark in book 1. After seeing all the outrage pre-launch, I went in thinking Abby was trans and the game had some woke bs, but there was none of that and it turns out people were just upset at leaks showing Joel getting killed off. So ridiculous.

Uncharted 4 was just way too long with too many stretches of climbing. I remember replaying the game and counting just how long it takes to get to a shooting segment or a setpiece and there were times where you could go 45 minutes without any real combat or action. They supposedly had a stamina based climbing system that was scrapped at the last second but that left virtually half of the game in auto-pilot mode.

I really hope Factions is like Destiny style PvE game with raids. I loved the multiplayer in TLOU but I think the possibilities of a PvE game set in the world of The Last of Us are endless. They have a great combat system and with some Fallout 5 and Metal Gear Survive like settlement building, they could have something special on their hands.

Azurro

Banned

Imagine Naughty Dog not messing up the sequel to one of the best games ever by having incredibly stupid characters and ridiculous writing in the name of social justice.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I love how some people desperately want Factions II to be cross gen.

Sorry folks. Games that haven't been revealed at this point are probably not going to be playable on PS4.

Naughty Dog is aiming for their Fortnite (a 10+ year lifecycle), which is why they're taking so long. You don't plan for the next 10 years on a 2022 or 2023 game by shackling it to a dead PS4 userbase.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
They are too busy blame shifting their fanbase and dev crew.

Reminds me of the spoiler thread where their fans called anyone who didn't like the game problematic.

Ultra Donny

Have just played The last of us and uncharted 4 from Naughty dog, booth were great. Looking forward to seeing what they doing next. I'm mainly playing Xbox myself but brought an ps 4 slim just for those games. Maybe a new revision of the ps 5 is out by the time their next game is released.

Fbh

Productivity is going down across the entire industry as games continue to get more expensive and complex to make, this is specially true for studios like ND who have build a reputation around making visual showcases. Look how upset people got when GOW Ragnarok didn't seem to show a big visual upgrade compared to the original.

If you want games to keep pushing visuals and production values even further with each new entry you'll start getting longer periods of time in between games, except for big publishers like Ubisoft who can afford things like having multiple teams working on Assassins Creed sequels in parallel.

Top Bottom