• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's more technical Tekken or Street Fighter?

Both games can be highly technical. SF is more about the footsie game, zoning, parries (in SF3 and they are making a return in 6, Daigo vs Wong, legendary), cancels/chains into supers etc. Tekken being in a 3D space demands a mastery of sidestepping, juggles are huge, forward dashes to psyche out an opponent or follow through with an attack if you see an opening. A character like King is *super* technical with his command grabs/chains. I remember spending hours mastering his Rolling Death Cradle on PS1, good times.

I've been a fan of both series from the very beginning. Haven't bought every entry but each release is always an event, looking forward to both SF6 and Tekken 8, pretty sure both will be day 1 purchases.

Last edited:

P.Jack

Technical as in execution, it depends but I’d probably say Street Fighter because in Tekken there are characters without hard execution. As for korean backdash, you can just mash qcb repeatedly, if you pick a character without backsway that is. And 3S is pretty execution heavy no matter what you compare it to.

Technical as in number of variables you have to account for, I’d argue Tekken because there are more options at any given moment and you are required to have a vast matchup knowledge.

They are two very different games no matter how you slice it. With that said, I think at lower levels, Tekken is way easier to get into.

Mess

From my observations it usually easier for high level Tekken players to convert to other games and be competent at them but people who come from other games try to play Tekken they have more difficulty learning.

Sonic Fox is perfect examples of this.

I don't recall any tekken player doing great in SF. If you're thinking of Fuudo he's a VF player, not tekken. On the other hand Tokido had good results in tekken with seemingly minimal efforts, but that's the bonjwa of the FGC, so...

On topic as said above, Tekken requires more knowledge, SF is more execution heavy. But if you're looking for technical fighters, VF for 3D and KoF or Darkstalkers for 2D are where it's at.

Calverz

Both are excellent in their own right. Tekken is a lot more casual friendly imo. It’s very pick up and play and looks great. Street fighter has so much nostalgia for me but I find it’s a lot harder to play that with a controller. I highly recommmend you try tekken 7. I think you would really like it. I personally feel street fighter is a lot more technical.

EruditeHobo

Just compare how forgiving the combos/inputs are... that alone to me says SF is more technical, for the same reason VF is most technical. Tekken, you can have huge strings of combos that are incredible forgiving. They are so forgiving you can execute them a number of different ways -- the button presses don't have the same timing requirement as SF, and certainly not VF.

Doesn't mean it's easy to be good at Tekken at a high level! That's not what technical means. Generally the thing that is more forgiving/easier to successfully execute, that is the less technical game. And that ain't SF, in this comparison, as far as I can tell.

There is a ton to know in Tekken... but that isn't "technique" IMO. That speaks to information and knowledge necessary to play well, aka the size of the game. And Tekken is fucking vast.

Last edited:
on one hand Tekken has more going on. mechanic and gameplay wise to think about. On the other hand i think an average player could beat someone good at Tekken. Im not sure a joe schmo is going to beat someone thats good at Street Fighter. on a 2d plane theres just nowhere to run or hide. U make a mistake and ur cooked

A.Romero

I'm a fighting game enthusiast since I was a kid and I try to play all of them (not at launch, hate the DLC model so I wait for full editions to come down in price). I'm not pro level but I have solid foundations and can defend myself in most games.

What technical means to me:
- High skill ceiling
- Complex combo execution (not automatic, timing sensitive)
- Different character mechanics, not just variations of HP and movement speed
- Versatile movement (either 3D movement or stuff like aerial dash or different movement mechanics for different characters)

Personally these are the most technical games to me:

- Virtua Fighter: Timings are brutal which is what sets it apart.
- Tekken: One of the most varied fighting games. It hasn't changed that much over the years which has allowed it to have many characters that play vastly different. Combos need memorizing and good timing (not as brutal as VF)
- Arc Systems games like Fighterz or GG: The only thing that sets them to third place is that all of their games are similar and have pretty much 3 types of characters. Also relies on auto combos with a really small penalty for using them.
- Street fighter: Tight gameplay but hasn't been able to reach 3S heights. Hopefully 6 will be best. V was a really good effort and liked the variation of triggers among characters
- Soul Calibur: Another classic but feel it stopped evolving in gameplay a while ago. Decided to focus on custom characters. I played 6 a few months back and got bored pretty fast.
- MK/Injustice: Entertaining campaigns and fun to play with friends but my least favourite gameplay wise

No comments about smash bros or multiversus. Not my cup of tea.

Labolas

Tekken for sure. Hell, take a character like King. There's no one in SF roster that is as complicated as a grappler as King is. But still, there is a lot of nuances in the SF series.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Tekken has an easier entry but a waaaay higher skill ceiling. So much more to master, and the variation between each character is wild.

I've never played Virtua Fighter, but if it beats out Tekken, I need to give it a go.

TheGecko

Banned
Tekken 3 and tag tournament on ps2 took a lot of mastering to be an og.

These modern trash incarnations with super buttons and casual garbage are rotten, I'd wipe the floor with these so called pros on the games I mentioned above.

Nocturno999

You need much more knowledge to play Tekken at a decent level.

Both are about the same. Tekken is easier to pick up and play with masher characters.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Guilty Gear Xrd

Do mids hit low block in Street Fighter? I know they do in Tekken.
I would say Tekken because:
- the execution difficulty
- positioning in 3D space required
- wall splats
- low parry
- air juggles
- corner carry
- dynamic stages
- reversals
- guard break
- while-rising attacks
- options on the ground (low kick, high kick, roll left/right, back roll, delayed wake up. spring jump (char specific). roll forward into spring jump, ankle kick, etc)
- throw break buttons depend on which throw is being done
- directional throws based on your position to your opponent
- throw combos (char specific, King, Armored King)
- Yoshimitsu
- Stance characters (ex Lei, Xiouyu)
- Hit Box Manipulating characters (Lei, Xiouyu, Zafina, Yoshi, Eddy etc.)
- 100+ moves in the command list per character
- running options (slide low, tackle, forward spring jump Character Specific attacks)
- Sidestep
- Korean Backdash
- Rage Mode + Super
- Command throws
- Frame traps (Assume SF has this too)

Tired of typing...but there's more.

Last edited:

P.Jack

Tekken 3 and tag tournament on ps2 took a lot of mastering to be an og.

These modern trash incarnations with super buttons and casual garbage are rotten, I'd wipe the floor with these so called pros on the games I mentioned above.
This post is like the most Tekken thing, I love it, really takes me back. When T3 hit, it became so widespread where I lived like everybody was a champ and everyone knew a champ. People where cocky as hell like ’you know that guy, he’ll beat your ass in Tekken’ and be like ’no way I’ll let ’em have some after school, he aint shit’. Putting real life meaning and status in your ability to play the game. And the real life rage that came with it haha! Speculation about who’d beat who, meeting up with kids from other towns, stuff like that. I imagine young people today having a similar thing with Fortnite. We had lesser means back and fighters in general really benefit from a single setup. Safe to say, we all sucked big time during the T3 years. Out knowledge was limited.

When TTT came out, it was a different ballgame. Players starting to really understand the mechanics of the game and spreading the knowledge. Online resources became a thing with tekkenzaibatsu forums and mirc channels. Communties formed and competition started to take off. It was a great time, I was lucky and got to play with legendary guys way older than me, whom traveled to Korea to play. That wasn’t common back then like it is now. And decent online was about a decade away. They brought home the korean backdash and spent all days practicing their lightdashs and ewgfs.

Top Bottom