• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the Best FOV settings for 1st Person and 3rd Person games?

Fahdis

I want an immersive experience so was wondering with an FOV slider, what are the best settings for games on High End PC's? This is for normal conventional setups like a Television or Monitor... not Ultrawide.

manfestival

FOV really has a negligible effect on your performance for the computer. FOV is highly subjective but I will say the higher you go the more "fish eye lens" it becomes. For immersion you typically can stick to default settings or maybe go a bit higher but every game is different. For me? I will go higher for sure on competitive FPS since you get an advantage from seeing more with a higher FOV. However, campaign typically retains the original value unless off looking(like RE Village) where a higher FOV is almost required.

HTK

Banned
Personally, I like 90 and 103. 90 gives you plenty FOV without making enemies look too small, so I prefer this for Battle Royales. I like 103 for games like Halo, Overwatch, Call of Duty MP, where there aren't that big draw distances to make enemies super small, so they are still big enough to focus and aim at with the wider FOV.

Hope that helps.

nikos

It depends on your monitor's size, resolution, aspect ratio and your distance to the monitor. Some games adjust via vertical FOV, others via horizontal FOV. There's no "go to" setting until you get used to your own setup and know what you want.

You'll get more of an immersive experience from an ultrawide monitor than from widening FOV.

Last edited:

Fahdis

FOV really has a negligible effect on your performance for the computer. FOV is highly subjective but I will say the higher you go the more "fish eye lens" it becomes. For immersion you typically can stick to default settings or maybe go a bit higher but every game is different. For me? I will go higher for sure on competitive FPS since you get an advantage from seeing more with a higher FOV. However, campaign typically retains the original value unless off looking(like RE Village) where a higher FOV is almost required.

Do curved or ultrawide curved monitors or TVs make the Fisheye less evident?

FPS:
Single player story: Standard or Narrow field of view for immersion
Multiplayer portion: Widest field of view possible for competitiveness.

3rd Person: Same as above.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
FOV setting must be depended on sitting distance from display and it's size. If FOV is too high you will see a fish-eye effect when panning a camera. If it's too low it looks like a picturr is zommed in (binocular effect)

Top Bottom