• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most obscure game you can think of?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Every gamer has at least one game they love, but it feels they're the only one who's ever played it. In this video IGN personalities share some of their favorite games that aren't very well known, and they'll let you know how to check them out today -- if you even can. The picks here span a 1994 Japan-only Sega Saturn game all the way to a little-known gem released just this year.

1. Elevator Action Returns
2. Infernax @1:18
3. Deadly Creatures @2:49
4. The Movies @4:25
5. Metal Warriors @6:04
6. Digimon World @7:55
7. Valkyrie Profile @9:12
8. Sky Odyssey @10:39
9. Ephermeral Fantasia @11:50
10. Othercide @13:44

darrylgorn

Kororinpa_Wii_PAL.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I got a Garfield PC game in a box of cereal once. Can't remember the title.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Jade Cocoon 1 & 2: Pokémon but it's on Playstation, Art by Studio Ghibli, Ni No Kuni is a spiritual succesor to these games in my heart.

YFqONJR.jpg
qTdYFF0.jpg
Like the first one, could never find a copy of the second. Wish Sony would rerelease them.

tommib

D2 Sega Dreamcast

51FMKRT814L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Thought this game was great back then. One of my favorites of all time.
I was going to post this but I think Eno was kind of big at the time, at least in Japan. The ending to this game was spectacular.

I’m trying to remember a PC game with a monk? in lovecraft environments with tentacles. Very janky and confusing. I can only remember the tentacles everywhere and the monk? would use some magic to make them disappear? It was level/mission based. It was not a good game. Very late 90s. It was 3D with a lot of graphical issues? Anyone knows what this is?

Kupfer

I don't know where I got the full version from back then, probably from some magazine CD or something, but I found the game super weird back then.
When I was 11 or 12, I had no idea what I was supposed to do in the game, but somehow it fascinated me. Huge levels, you could shoot animals, strange enemies and, for my part, complete cluelessness.

Even today, I mean, look at this random shit
v3Z50ck.jpg
TMDVhIT.jpg
hcpBBAj.jpg
uzgs0ze.jpg

Also I don't know anyone who played this.

Last edited:

Lasha

Segagaga for the Dreamcast.

Segagagaboxarttemp.jpg

You play as Sega trying to defeat the rival console manufacturer who has like 90% of the console market. Its one of the most batshit insane RPGs ever. SGGG also has a technical issue which has stymied attempts to release an English patch further leading to its obscurity. I have a physical copy of SGGG and still sometimes wonder if the game was really just a fever dream from my youth.

EDMIX

Segagagaboxarttemp.jpg

You play as Sega trying to defeat the rival console manufacturer who has like 90% of the console market. Its one of the most batshit insane RPGs ever. SGGG also has a technical issue which has stymied attempts to release an English patch further leading to its obscurity. I have a physical copy of SGGG and still sometimes wonder if the game was really just a fever dream from my youth.
Holy fucking dogen lol

I wonder if they'll ever do some weird collection or download thing for some of those titles as I'm sure its quite easy if you factor digital distribution or something

Last edited:

SweetShark

I don't know where I got the full version from back then, probably from some magazine CD or something, but I found the game super weird back then.
When I was 11 or 12, I had no idea what I was supposed to do in the game, but somehow it fascinated me. Huge levels, you could shoot animals, strange enemies and, for my part, complete cluelessness.

v3Z50ck.jpg
TMDVhIT.jpg
hcpBBAj.jpg
uzgs0ze.jpg

One of my favorites game back in the past. I still remember the ridiculous plot twist and the reason you could play Citizen Kabuto.

Fuz

Banned

Segagagaboxarttemp.jpg

Holy shit this is amazing

KiteGr

51C2JKJ8YVL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Spiritual successort of Clock Tower.
The pursures are based around types of rapists instead of murderers.

KiteGr

Jade Cocoon 1 & 2: Pokémon but it's on Playstation, Art by Studio Ghibli, Ni No Kuni is a spiritual succesor to these games in my heart.

YFqONJR.jpg
qTdYFF0.jpg
It's one of the worst cover arts in video game history! Both oth them!
This is a pokemon inspired game with animation by Studio Ghibli.
70939-jade-cocoon-story-of-the-tamamayu-playstation-front-cover.jpg
458697-jade-cocoon-story-of-the-tamamayu-playstation-front-cover.jpg

168956-jade-cocoon-2-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

Meanwhile the games....
10-capture_018_17062012_112544.jpg
jade-cocoon-2-15.png

VGEsoterica

Dead of the Brain / Dead of the Brain 2 / Marine Philt. A trilogy of visual novel adventure games for Japanese PC. Ive been trying to find a copy of Marine Philt to buy for over 5 years...haven't found one. ESOTERIC AF

Worked for a federal agency in a large building with what seemed like hundreds of 'Dumb Terminals'. The terminals only had a screen and a keyboard and all the computing was done in a central server somewhere in the building. Everything was text based and required training on how to get any info out of them. Probly cheapest way to have so many computers at the time.

Anyway, For those that knew how to find it, there were text based games available, one was called "Nuclear Power Simulator". Computer would give you updated scenarios and you would have to enter a response like, more cooling water, electrical output, Pressure levels and such, would see how long you could go before an eventual meltdown.
I used to think, What if this was actually controlling some powerplant somewhere in the country like in Wargames.

Vandole

Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal
Tao%27s_Adventure_-_Curse_of_the_Demon_Seal_Coverart.png

This was the sequel to Azure Dreams on PS1, which itself was a fairly obscure game, though it did develop a pretty strong cult following over the years. What Konami was thinking with this game, I'm not really sure.

They basically took away almost everything that people liked about Azure Dreams and kicked it to the curb. The dating Sim elements, the city building, and the randomly generated levels were all kicked to the curb. The monster training was left, but they reduced the number of monsters you could find. And it was all replaced with a stylus-based magic system which just sucked.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only saw this on demo tv at a small game store, but this game. It was pure dog shit but EGM still gave it decent scores of 7s and 8s. They must had been bought off. Googling it, it says it was only released in Japan. I guess the game shop had the MD version on display.

8dxWi75.jpg

nkarafo

This game:

maxresdefault.jpg

It's an obscure arcade game. There are a lot of obscure arcade games but this one is special to me because i did saw it in person back in the day. And not only that, the locals even knew some tricks to achieve infinite lives and stuff, back in the mid 90's. I also did those tricks (something you had to do during the first boss fight IIRC).

Today i can't find ANY information online whatsoever about those cheats. How the fuck people knew that stuff back then, for a game as obscure as this, is beyond me.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

v3Z50ck.jpg
TMDVhIT.jpg
hcpBBAj.jpg
uzgs0ze.jpg

Obscure? What you on about? This was like top of the charts for PC back in the day in the UK, the Multiplayer was great fun too although it used Gamespy so was an utter chore to get a match going. Really unique kind of like Evolved mixed with a town building sim, one side had to upgrade and defend a town while the Kabuto had to destroy it and them.

For me it's probably

WQ29cYn.jpg

I had to import it because the EU never got a release, an utttely fantastic RPG from Atlus that I never hear anyone talk about like ever, however this might also be the fact that it had no EU release so I'm like one of the few Europeans to play it.

Man I want this released on the PlayStation store.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

don't know if it was obscure but there was a game a few of us friends use to lan when much younger called babo violent.

and a similar game later where you were like an ape

Vandole

Weird question? But possibly...

s-l500.jpg
Karnov has maybe fallen into obscurity, but it was a pretty recognizable game back in the day. It was a multiplat title in the day - arcade, nes, commodore 64, etc. It never got a sequel, because the game just wasn't very good, but somebody at Data East must have loved him, because he kept showing up as an enemy in a bunch of their other games.

Time to dig in your memory and think of that one game no one but you will ever mention, those super rare games forgotten by history but that somehow you still remember.

Here's mine:

RjD4WHu.jpg

Dinosaur'us (I know the name f sucks) It's a Turn Based Metroidvania RPG (no seriously I'm not kidding) it only came out in Europe in 2001 for Game Boy Color one of the last games for the system actually, the combat is kind of Pokémon-ish focusing on attacking weaknesses, you are given different dinosaurs to play as and exploration is done in a 2D side scrolling view, each dinosaur has different abilities that need to be used during exploration to progress in a Metroidvania-ish way, yeah I know it sounds amazing on paper but it's kinda meh-ish, at least the concept was clearly ambitious.
Dude that cover looks sick as shit! I would have went fucking nuts if I saw that as a kid.

6Bdc1No.jpg

nCWYEQ8.jpg

2uRCoLi.jpg

Want to add Toonstruck. This was such a good point and click adventure game with tons of FMV starring Christopher Lloyd! Great puzzles, acting and genuinely funny.
Wow that is sick! You can definitely tell it was inspired by Who Framed Roger Rabbit that he also stars in as the main villain!

dave_d

Alternate Reality for atari. Had an awesome beginning.
artcabduction.PNG
Too bad the only other game that came out was Alternate Reality the Dungeon. I would have loved to see them finish it even though it would have required buying 7 games. Pretty much the same concept as "The Matrix" years before the matrix.

Afrika on PS3 is up there. Just a photo safari game where you take pictures of animals with licensed Sony cameras. One of my favorite games of all time. The animations of the animals are the best I've ever seen in a game. The cheapest copy on Ebay is currently going for $140.00. There is a sealed copy going for $380.00 right now. Insanity.

Top Bottom