• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most obscure game you can think of?

KàIRóS

Time to dig in your memory and think of that one game no one but you will ever mention, those super rare games forgotten by history but that somehow you still remember.

Here's mine:

RjD4WHu.jpg

Dinosaur'us (I know the name f sucks) It's a Turn Based Metroidvania RPG (no seriously I'm not kidding) it only came out in Europe in 2001 for Game Boy Color one of the last games for the system actually, the combat is kind of Pokémon-ish focusing on attacking weaknesses, you are given different dinosaurs to play as and exploration is done in a 2D side scrolling view, each dinosaur has different abilities that need to be used during exploration to progress in a Metroidvania-ish way, yeah I know it sounds amazing on paper but it's kinda meh-ish, at least the concept was clearly ambitious.

Last edited:

Meowzers

There was one back on the PS1 for the life of me I can't remember.

I think it was a point and click adventure game where the character was a girl, and the environment certainly looked rather bleak. Didn't get too far into it as it I was more into bright and bold games.

I think it came out between 96-99. Got a PS1 and would love to play it, but nobody knows what it is.

Banned
well it depends, because I know a bunch of games that will be obscure as fuck now, but had a time where they were really popular.

like Little Fighter 2, I bet there will be a bunch of people born in the 90s in here that will remember that game very fondly, but then there's multiple generations before and after that will have never heard about the game once.

then there's a ton of super obscure Amiga games that a lot of Europeans will remember but Americans will never have heard of like Quick and Silva...

it's really hard to come up with one that is obscure in the sense that almost noone knows they exist... because my 2 examples, Little Fighter 2 and Quick and Silva both were really damn popular during a specific time and in specific regions

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
When I was a young kid you could send off 10 Kinder Egg wrappers and get a free PC puzzle game. Incredibly exciting at the time.

Kinder-Surprise-CD-game-Promo-Disc-Ks-n-kickin-Fererro.jpg
sddefault.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I think it was a point and click adventure game where the character was a girl, and the environment certainly looked rather bleak. Didn't get too far into it as it I was more into bright and bold games.

I think it came out between 96-99. Got a PS1 and would love to play it, but nobody knows what it is.

Clock Tower?

Last edited:

jimmyd

Nike had a ps1 game based on a TV ad they had for a new football or something. It had Edgar David's and a few others in it and was total garbage. Don't know much else about it

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia

Clock Tower?

Clock_Tower_1_Game.jpg

This is a great thread! Always love chatting about forgotten/obscure games that very few really talk about.

Here are two quite obscure adventure games with creep and unsettling atmospheres. These types of games have a certain flavor that is totally unique:

Bad Day on the Midway (a game designed by the weird musical band, The Residents)
Very strange point and click game that evokes memories and feelings that you've never had...
OC02MDkwLmpwZWc.jpeg

The Dark Eye
Another strange point and click game. Wholly unique, nothing like it has been made since. Very unsettling vibe.
The_Dark_Eye_cover_art.jpg

win3x-dark-eye-screenshot.png

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Amnesia it has story issues but because it’s able to scare you it’s one of those obscure games.

drganon

PS1_CyberSpeed_cover_art.jpg

I remember playing the pc version that came with this bundle thing my parents got that came with our first cd drive.

Guilty_AI

Sapphire Yours. A boulder dash clone i played as a kid. I can't even find any footage or images of the original game, just remakes.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Early CD-Rom PC games can be interesting. I remember having a really hard time getting this game to work. Not the game's fault but PC gaming was a whole other animal back in the early 90's.

Deerock71

Devil's Third. It was actually a fun game!

I even got to get in some of the multiplayer, which might've been the best part (if there were only more players!).

Last edited:

Shifty

I was going to say Hylics, but anything you can open Steam and search for doesn't really feel that obscure.

And the absolute deepest pull I have is so obscure I've never been able to find it - some bizarre homebrew PSP isometric RPG thing with PS1-ish graphics, a tentacle monster hivemind thing called 'the huntress', magic cast effects that looked like yellow swastikas, and an extremely oppressive psychological horror atmosphere. If anyone knows what the fuck I'm talking about I'd be grateful to know, because it still haunts me today.

So in absence of that, I'll throw in Blitter Boy: Operation Monster Mall; A top-down shooter for PS1 that got included on one of OPSM's coverdiscs as a Net Yaroze title back in the day:

Brilliant little game with an off-beat sense of humor and some cool demoscene-looking 2D effects. The Fruit Drops weapon is a work of genius.

When I was a young kid you could send off 10 Kinder Egg wrappers and get a free PC puzzle game. Incredibly exciting at the time.

Kinder-Surprise-CD-game-Promo-Disc-Ks-n-kickin-Fererro.jpg
sddefault.jpg
I remember doing this! The name always eluded me, but no wonder - that's about as 90s of a title as you could hope for :messenger_sunglasses:

If memory serves it was a pretty decent game too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom