• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what's the worst/most painful injury or condition you've ever had?

inspired by todays events where i burned my hand with a soldering iron while trying to fix my drifting PS4 controller. the iron touched my skin for a split second but holy crap that was not fun at all. i was trying to suck off the solder and accidently bumped my hand against the iron. i jumped so hard i punched myself in the face lol. the solder just wasn't melting so i had the heat at 325C (617F). it's stinging like a bitch but doesn't look too bad right. it will probably blister soon. i couldn't imagine the pain if i hadn't reacted so quickly and it stayed on my skin any longer.

anyway that's not the most painful thing i've felt. i'm torn between migraines or the time i was skateboarding and broke my ribs against a solid steel bar. the broken ribs was easily the most painful injury i've had. i couldn't get out my bed for a couple weeks without crying in pain. also, if you've had a migraine you know how much they suck. the pain was so bad i wanted to crack my head off a wall and i wanted to kill myself just so the pain would stop. if you've never had a migraine you don't know just how bad they are. they aren't just a headache. i ended up in hospital with one. thankfully i don't get them too often.

so what's yours?

INC

Only been to hospital once

I suffered a massive brain spasm type thing, I blacked out, had t have a MRI and a my spine drained to check the fluid, that was painful, since they fucked it up like 5 times

Thats the worst and only thing, other than that, nothing, no medical reports, no broken bones, nothing

Kenpachii

Burn wounds.

Crashed my bike, tore my skin open on my arm, hands, knee, leg, back.

Getting the little stones out of your skin in the evening was something else.

Then for a week or two or so, pulling off everyday bandage with skin that comes with it, was also horrible.

Last edited:
I had extreme pain in my abdominal area and didn't know what it was.
I thought something ruptured or whatever and called the ambulance. The first time, I was checked but they couldn't find anything and because pain medication helped, they let me go.
The same night the pain was back, even stronger and I had to throw up because of the pain. Ambulance again but this time I stayed. I was in hospital for 11 days and they didn't know what I had, always having the pain in the evening. I was drifting to sleep, enduring hours of pain while getting pain medication which helped.
Skip to the end, when I lost 14kgs and dropped to 67kgs (I didn't really eat anymore) without any new info and they said all looks good. I had extensive tests done, endoscopy and colonoscopy or whatever, where they shove cams up your butt and the other one through your mouth, almost daily blood samples taken etc. I thank them for that but getting released without any news on what caused this, I dreaded going home.

And yeah, first night home the pain was like hello mf. Didn't call the ambulance because they didn't find anything and would only give me meds. I somehow endured hours of pain until I was just too tired and fell asleep.
Also I handle pain well but damn I always wished someone would knock me out or that I would die so that I didn't have to experience this anymore. Was pretty depressing.

The pain was imo atleast a 9/10, I would tell the docs etc I would rather someone break my arm/leg than this shit.
How to describe the pain? It started in the middle of my abdominal area but then spread to my whole torso almost, permanent pain, burning and pulling my body into itself almost.

You know what caused all this shit?

My psoas muscles.
I found out about it thanks to my brother who watched a video from David Goggins who also had this shit happen to him.
So I laid myself on my stomach and only used my arms to push my upper body up and stretched my stomach area and those muscles. Night came, no pain. Doing stretches ever since. I thank my brother and David Goggins, lol.

Worst pain I ever felt.

This was too long a read I guess, sorry.
It really messed me up back then. Every stomach pain I thought, no it's back and so on...

So in short, stretch those muscles if you sit or hunch (?) a lot.

Last edited:
Burn wounds.

Crashed my bike, tore my skin open on my arm, hands, knee, leg, back.

Getting the little stones out of your skin in the evening was something else.

Then for a week or two or so, pulling off everyday bandage with skin that comes with it, was also horrible.
probably not as bad as that but i had lots of skin tears on my arms, legs, face from skateboarding. sliding face first down a concrete road isn't fun.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
The worst pain I've ever experienced has to be when I got a herniated L5 disk (nearly ruptured) back when I was 25. Any movement at all was very painful, and standing up for more than a minute was so excruciating it would nearly make me pass out.

Second to that was probably several aspects of gender transition. Multiple hours of laser hair removal, surgery, etc.

bajouras

Got an infected cyst drained... Its a mix of draining a large pimple and sticking a seringe in the hole to drain the liquid. The thing is due to the infection, the anesthetics dont work, and that makes the hole experience quite terrible.

I got early shingles in a summer college session, the week before exams, on the entire left side of my body, head to toe. Then most of the blisters got infected by antibiotic-resistant staph overgrowth (my roommate had had a staph infection he stopped taking antibiotics for about a month prior, as I found out later), causing roughly 40 boils to form all over the left side of my body. A few of them swelled to the size of a dinner plate. And

Had a little hemorrhoid on my butthole.

Despite being small, it was agony. Couldn't even sit down.

blisters and boils were back there as well.

I had to go on Loritab to make it through the day. Ended up failing both exams I had, but I really didn't give a shit, and I launched complaints against the professors for not letting me take them later.

I was on heavy antibiotics and daily baths in Hibiclens for over 6 months to try to get the staph infection under control.

While the physical symptoms of alcohol withdrawal are hellish enough, it was the mental fuckery where the real anguish was at.
If I didn't have my kids I'm 99.87% certain I would've killed myself, the thought of what that would've done to them was the only thing that kept me alive.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
infection under my right thumbnail the thumbnail detached and broke off slowly as it was healing itself I guess. the detaching was very painful. later went to the doctor and he poked my swollen thumb releasing blood & pus.

Grew up with asthma and when I was a teenager their was a period where I just didn't have a rescue inhaler. Not being able to breath is the most stressful thing i've experienced. Because of that I started having panic attacks whenever I "felt" like my asthma was triggered.
I had severe asthma during childhood so I can relate to this. While not as painful as injuries and such, losing your capacity to breathe makes you desperate for the sweet release of death. I had a severe resurgence around 2016 and couldn’t even talk on the phone to a recruiter to ask to postpone the phone interview. I couldn’t lie on bed on the right/left sides let alone go out. My torso had to stay inclined like in hospital beds otherwise I couldn’t breathe at all.

If we’re talking strictly about pain, a doctor started suturing my middle finger a couple minutes before the anesthetic started taking effect. An iron bar resting against a pillar had fallen on my hand as I was bench pressing in the gym.

Also I’ve had severe back pain, the kind where you have to calculate exactly how you’re going every limb and muscle to leave your bed. It used to take me a solid 3-4 minutes to stand up in a way that minimized pain and avoids the sudden jolts of pain. Sometimes I had to move knowing that pain awaited me. Going to the bathroom was a trip, and going out was but a distant dream. Going to the doctor was simply impossible too.

xrnzaaas

Broken leg (got hit by a car on the crossing) with a month spent in the hospital and a couple of months returning to normal. Not very painful though except for the first night after the surgery.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well liver transplant and in early 20 ties the sciatica problem, which was really massive bitch

Also Covid sucked hard for me, never been that desperate just to breathe...

Acute Pancreatitis (9 on a 0-10 scale) and dislocated shoulder (6 when it happens, 8.5 when you put it back in place)
Oh this reminds me that I am really lucky that ethanol did not took my pancreas, I would be fucked...

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Kidney stones. What a bitch.
Also, one time I hurt my back helping my ex gf move. I was in bed for a week and had to drag myself to the bathroom.

Last edited:

decisions

Testicular torsion.

Nightmare scenario where the hospital I went to couldn’t do the surgery, so they needed to transport me somewhere else by ambulance.

For some reason this took like 6 hours. Pain got worse and worse throughout the day and in the ambulance I felt a body part literally die inside of me.

They removed the testicle since it took so long to do the surgery.

9/10 pain the entire day that turned into a 10/10 by the time the sun came down. Pain is so bad that you are nauseous and cannot think straight.

To this day I live in fear of it happening to the other testicle and losing my testosterone. They stitched the other so it has a very low chance of happening, but I am not sure the fear will ever leave me.

Good thing is that since then my pain tolerance has been extremely high which helps during workouts.

Last edited:

Loope

Well liver transplant and in early 20 ties the sciatica problem, which was really massive bitch

Also Covid sucked hard for me, never been that desperate just to breathe...

Oh this reminds me that I am really lucky that ethanol did not took my pancreas, I would be fucked...
I had no idea. When the pancreas fails, hell let's loose on your body. It was a fucking atrocious month. One week on ICU.

Ive had absessed teeth, which are horrible are really do make you want to rip the tooth our with pliers, but i would have to say Kidney stones. I had a series of them about 7 years ago, passed 6 on my own including a 7mm pinecone shaped stone my doctor was amazed i passed. The pain is insane and debilitating.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Kidney stones. In both kidneys.

When the stones pass out of the kidney and into the ureter tube........the pain was so much that I was rushed to hospital and begging for death. The only drug cutting out that pain was morphine.

To cut a long story short, the hospital botched one of the operations and cut my kidney. I was then leaking kidney fluid and blood, which caused massed swelling and pain far worse than kidney stone pain. I then needed an emergency operation and two weeks in hospital with sepsis.

T8SC

PBSDCApb0AgrlSIuIBoI37CKUqbTiuRUV9PBgXIFIs6C2nnUi_f6t-Xzc8w8NIoJdch-cG38Hl5pOeb-45_gxE1RreIjB4EZnNvxNwodzdqcwZ55HkVSw81GVw4dnA

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Had an accident on bmx as a kid and ripped a hole in my ballsack. No damage to the balls, but it hurt so much I fainted. Later I broke my arm in 2 places while skiing that was nothing in comparison.

Mossybrew

My Crohns Disease had been mostly a nuisance, had bad bleeding at times but pain overall was minor. Until this April a part of my gut got so inflamed and infected they had to eventually cut it out with bowel resection surgery. 7 days in the hospital was its own weird kind of mental torture, but when I came to after surgery man, that was the worst pain Ive ever felt in my life. I guess Ive been lucky till now, no broken bones or major injuries, but those two weeks after surgery schooled me on what pain could really be. Thankfully by now Im more or less completely healed, but the disease is still there and knowing at some point randomly I can be back in the hospital sucks.

SirTerry-T

Dislocated my left elbow pretty badly a couple of years back. Still get some pain in the tendons if I'm lifting for any length of time and I'd say I have about 10° less ROM now, even after physio.
Getting it manipulated back into place wasn't too bad though once the gas and air kicked in :)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nothing major.

Fractured my pinky knuckle in a high school fight. For about 20 years I could feel a slight misalignment when opening and clenching my fist like there was a clicking sound. But somehow it went away the past 10. lol

Once every 5+ years I get either food poisoning or a bad flu bug hitting the shitter every 40 minutes for two days straight. Asshole is so raw, I actually sit there for an extra minute or two and think about it scared shitless before wiping.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

Last year i had a severe asthma attack that would come and gone for 5-6weeks. pretty scary shit. I always had a light form of asthma but never to the extent I felt couldn't breathe for hours.
Other than that i fell off a ladder and i dislocated my arm. That hurt like a mf. 6weeks on a cast and 3months physiotherapy. Thankfully it healed just fine

Sakura

What I assume is kidney stones. Pissing blood, throwing up, etc. Lying on the floor in the shower with the water hitting my back would help a little bit.
Happens every year or two the past few years.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hmm there was that one time I spilled boiling cooking oil on my left foot which gave me second degree burns. That wasn't very fun.. As well as the multiple broken bones I've had.

But in the end it has to be living daily with chronic lower back, knee and sciatic nerve pain for over a decade. It drove me to alcoholism, misuse of benzodiazepines and ambien (which caused the injuries above). I've kicked it all but still, the need for relief hasn't gone absent.

Last edited:

Loope

How that happened by the way?
Way too much partying and drinking. One day after a bender i was feeling kind of odd, then my back started hurting and my abdomen. I thought i have caught a wind draft, so i just took some painkillers.

Problem is medication exarcerbates the problem, so the pain came back stronger. I went to the hospital with my dad, they shrugged it off by saying it was a tract infection. I went home, i took the pills they prescribed it only made it worse, i woke up in pain and couldn't walk straight, i wetnt to the hospital, the doctor basically asked me: "when was the last time you took a piss?" and i was thinking and couldn't remember, he traded looks with my mom (she's a nurse) and that's when it hit me, i haven't pissed for 2 days. He ytold me to go to the bathroom and push real hard, only a few drops and they were completely brown.

The pain got worse, they sent me to another hospital where i was in a corridor for one day waiting for a bed vacancy, when i got to the bed, the pain was escalating to a point i could hardly talk. They gave me something in my veins and it mellowed out, a doctor came while i had visits and he basically told me i would be commited to the ICU just for checking and keep a eye on things. When i got there, my cousin works there and she was crying a lot, at this time i was already heavily medicated through serum and i was kinda out of it, so i didn't gave it any importance. Then inserted a catether in my carothid so they could administrate several medicine at the same time, i will never forget the loud pop. I was just going through it, but i didn't know exactly my condition.

The CAT scan machine had a malfunction and they decided to wait for the technician, but a doctor came and she was beyond pissed off that they were only waiting, she called a surgeon to take a look at me and sent me to do a CAT scan in an hospital 200kms away, that's when i suspected something was wrong (this was on christmas eve). In ICU only close family can enter, my mom,dad and sister they were all composed, but my ex went there to see me and she bursted out crying how i was important i was for her and i could not die, i was like: " what the hell is wrong with you, who the fuck is going to die". They managed to calm her down, i later knew that the doctors told my parents to be prepared for the worse. I did the CAT scan, it wasn't as bad as they were thinking, just needed to give time to my pancreas, liver, kidneys and lungs to recover. I was there one month, the only thing i thought off was how i was going get out of there, finish my degree, straight shit up and drink watermelon juice. I finished my degree, i pratically did 2 years in one. I never got to drink the watermelon juice though.

I know it's a really long post and i know it might seem too much on a site about gaming, but this should serve as warning, careful with your drinks people, in my group of friends i was the one that drink the less, but i would drink everyday. Wine at dinner and at least a 6 pack a day of beer. No Whisky, Gin or any of those drinks. To this day, when i go to a doctor they always tell me that i escaped something nasty. If you have a habit of drinking or if you need to be on heavy medication, if you feel kind of a band pain around your abdomen to the back and trust me, this is a pain you never experienced, please go to the doctor immediately. Time is of the essence with this shit.

M1chl

Way too much partying and drinking. One day after a bender i was feeling kind of odd, then my back started hurting and my abdomen. I thought i have caught a wind draft, so i just took some painkillers.

Problem is medication exarcerbates the problem, so the pain came back stronger. I went to the hospital with my dad, they shrugged it off by saying it was a tract infection. I went home, i took the pills they prescribed it only made it worse, i woke up in pain and couldn't walk straight, i wetnt to the hospital, the doctor basically asked me: "when was the last time you took a piss?" and i was thinking and couldn't remember, he traded looks with my mom (she's a nurse) and that's when it hit me, i haven't pissed for 2 days. He ytold me to go to the bathroom and push real hard, only a few drops and they were completely brown.

The pain got worse, they sent me to another hospital where i was in a corridor for one day waiting for a bed vacancy, when i got to the bed, the pain was escalating to a point i could hardly talk. They gave me something in my veins and it mellowed out, a doctor came while i had visits and he basically told me i would be commited to the ICU just for checking and keep a eye on things. When i got there, my cousin works there and she was crying a lot, at this time i was already heavily medicated through serum and i was kinda out of it, so i didn't gave it any importance. Then inserted a catether in my carothid so they could administrate several medicine at the same time, i will never forget the loud pop. I was just going through it, but i didn't know exactly my condition.

The CAT scan machine had a malfunction and they decided to wait for the technician, but a doctor came and she was beyond pissed off that they were only waiting, she called a surgeon to take a look at me and sent me to do a CAT scan in an hospital 200kms away, that's when i suspected something was wrong (this was on christmas eve). In ICU only close family can enter, my mom,dad and sister they were all composed, but my ex went there to see me and she bursted out crying how i was important i was for her and i could not die, i was like: " what the hell is wrong with you, who the fuck is going to die". They managed to calm her down, i later knew that the doctors told my parents to be prepared for the worse. I did the CAT scan, it wasn't as bad as they were thinking, just needed to give time to my pancreas, liver, kidneys and lungs to recover. I was there one month, the only thing i thought off was how i was going get out of there, finish my degree, straight shit up and drink watermelon juice. I finished my degree, i pratically did 2 years in one. I never got to drink the watermelon juice though.

I know it's a really long post and i know it might seem too much on a site about gaming, but this should serve as warning, careful with your drinks people, in my group of friends i was the one that drink the less, but i would drink everyday. Wine at dinner and at least a 6 pack a day of beer. No Whisky, Gin or any of those drinks. To this day, when i go to a doctor they always tell me that i escaped something nasty. If you have a habit of drinking or if you need to be on heavy medication, if you feel kind of a band pain around your abdomen to the back and trust me, this is a pain you never experienced, please go to the doctor immediately. Time is of the essence with this shit.
Well with me, it also started by me not being to able to piss anything, started become really yellow...but then I have to get spare parts, but with me it wasn't really all that dramatic, I got transported to hospital and within 7 days, I was with new organ inside me. And I never touched alcohol again, well to your long post, I can counter it by this:

(1) PSA: Don't drink alcohol too much. Liver transplant experience. NeoGAF special edition. | NeoGAF

Loope

Well with me, it also started by me not being to able to piss anything, started become really yellow...but then I have to get spare parts, but with me it wasn't really all that dramatic, I got transported to hospital and within 7 days, I was with new organ inside me. And I never touched alcohol again, well to your long post, I can counter it by this:

(1) PSA: Don't drink alcohol too much. Liver transplant experience. NeoGAF special edition. | NeoGAF
It wasn't what? Are you shitting me man, you went through hell compared with me. Holly crap. I wasn't registered at the site at the time of your thread, i would reply. That's a heavy duty stuff you went through my man. I'm glad everything went fine and keep on living. Fuck alcohol.

M1chl

It wasn't what? Are you shitting me man, you went through hell compared with me. Holly crap. I wasn't registered at the site at the time of your thread, i would reply. That's a heavy duty stuff you went through my man. I'm glad everything went fine and keep on living. Fuck alcohol.
Yeah it's pretty terrible, but it would not be wise to ignore other factors and stuff like that doctors will hook up you easily on probably world worst drug, which does not even get you high and subsequently alcohol is the only thing which act similarly and can alleviate etc. It's way to complex situation and no, I didn't went through hell, since my brain was ready to pass away, no pain, no nothing. It was fine. far worst was to even understand what happened when I left from the hospital. No one choose the path I've been on. But it's probably far worse to look back, than it was while it was happening.

Loope

Yeah it's pretty terrible, but it would not be wise to ignore other factors and stuff like that doctors will hook up you easily on probably world worst drug, which does not even get you high and subsequently alcohol is the only thing which act similarly and can alleviate etc. It's way to complex situation and no, I didn't went through hell, since my brain was ready to pass away, no pain, no nothing. It was fine. far worst was to even understand what happened when I left from the hospital. No one choose the path I've been on. But it's probably far worse to look back, than it was while it was happening.
Yes it is. Looking back is atrocious sometimes. I understand your point of view about the situation itself.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I went to take a shot in a basketball game, I was about 23 and my knee said "No you don't" and decided to give out and damage my Lateral Meniscus. I had never hurt like that before, went to the doctor the next day, did not have surgery but I had rehab. My knee still hurts some days still, and especially when I leave it in one position to long.

TylerD

#1 though I don't remember just how painful had to be breaking my left tibia when I was in 3rd grade. I was riding my bike in circles on the driveway with my eyes closed and fell on it. It was a compound fracture and my dad encouraging me to walk on it actually helped set it but I remember crumpling when I tried to step on it.
#2 tearing my right calf muscle on a ski trip earlier this year. Felt like someone stabbed me in the leg with a knife. Took 6 weeks to be able to walk on it comfortably again and it's still tight in the mornings
#3 Very brief kidney stone passing. I was in the shower and felt an extremely sharp pain from my kidney radiating around to my bladder and then had a very strong urge to pee. There was blood in my urine. Thankfully that only lasted 10 seconds or so.
#4 "zings" from cold on a cracked molar that I had repaired earlier this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom