• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with FromSoftware and Sony?

If you look at the evolution of Sony first party studios that have actual talent it's that they continue to grow and evolve.

Compare Spyro the Dragon to Marvel's Spider-Man or Jak and Daxter to the Last of Us.

Sony has big plans for Bluepoint and they could certainly be given the reigns to Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

You look at Guerilla Games or Sucker Punch and I would never have thought they'd mature into the studios they are now. What Bluepoint has done with Shadow of the Colossus and now Demon's Souls, you shouldn't doubt them. They wouldn't be the first company to take something someone else has started and taken it to another level.

Banned
If you look at the evolution of Sony first party studios that have actual talent it's that they continue to grow and evolve.

Compare Spyro the Dragon to Marvel's Spider-Man or Jak and Daxter to the Last of Us.

uhm... Spyro is better than Spider-Man and Jack and Daxter is way better than The Last of Us...
I would argue that Spider-Man is among the worst games Insomniac ever made... it's still great, I platinumed it after all, but still

the writing in these games is mediocre at best, wouldn't turn heads if they were movies. we just have pretty low standards in video games, and for a reason... usually game designers design games not because they wanna tell a story but because they have cool and interesting gameplay ideas they want to realise.
only recently has it become popular to have these "cinematic" games, which i honestly despise to the core, because during development they often move the focus away from what is important in a videogame
I mean that's fine that you think that, but you're clearly in the minority.

And no, the writing and performances in the Last of Us were just as good as any Hollywood movie.

Banjo64

cumsessed
A dime a dozen is a stretch, but look at the writing in most sony first party games. Sony isn't struggling to find creative directors and writers.
With all due respect the writing in Sony’s first party games is for basic bitches compared to From. ‘Oh I love my son and my wife is dead’, ‘oh no my tribe don’t like me because I have ginger hair’, ‘let’s play crash bandicoot and then wank each other off over Tiger Woods PGA tour 2020’. Yeah, ok.

A dime a dozen is a stretch, but look at the writing in most sony first party games. Sony isn't struggling to find creative directors and writers.

It's not just having the ideal writer. You need a Miyazaki to make a Souls game just like you need a Kojima or Cuckman for their respective visions.

There isn't a single other souls game on the market that managed to capture the same magic as FROM's games. The only good ones out there, like Nioh, are good because they're not even souls games. They have their own unique direction

Last edited:
It's not just having the ideal writer. You need a Miyazaki to make a Souls game just like you need a Kojima or Cuckman for their respective visions.

There isn't a single other souls game on the market that managed to capture the same magic as FROM's games. The only good ones out there, like Nioh, are good because they're not even souls games. They have their own unique direction

That's like saying God of War can't exist without David Jaffe and then Cory Barlog creates the most successful God of War. This idea that only "x person" can do the job is laughable.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Man I remember picking up King's Field the day it came out, first game I needed a memory card for. I think it was actually King's Field II in Japan but anyway the game was hard as hell and I had no idea what I was doing, awesome times.

Yeah those games was weird as f, hadn't played anything like it at the time, which is why I kinda loved them..

GoW 2018 is Cory's own creation. David couldn't have done that. That's the point

Except that isn't the point. The point is that lots of different creative directors with the right team and the right budget and support can make something great.

The industry evolves. Castlevania cribbed from Metroid and then Konami failed at making a quality 3d metroidvania and instead Sony Santa Monica made a great one with God of War. The lead director moved on from Sony and someone else made an even better or at least objectively more successful iteration. The industry moves on. The only company that has yet to really be bested in terms of game design is Nintendo.

Except that isn't the point. The point is that lots of different creative directors with the right team and the right budget and support can make something great.

The industry evolves. Castlevania cribbed from Metroid and then Konami failed at making a quality 3d metroidvania and instead Sony Santa Monica made a great one with God of War. The lead director moved on from Sony and someone else made an even better or at least objectively more successful iteration. The industry moves on. The only company that has yet to really be bested in terms of game design is Nintendo.

They can, but you don't do that by just handing them an IP and expecting them to make something in the same vein. You're giving them baggage, not support.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it's setting people up for easy failure if they don't have the vision people expect from the franchise.

Last edited:
Is there any reason to believe that Sony and Bluepoint can't take over Demon's Souls and Bloodborne without From Software? They don't need to make a massive investment when they already have the IP.
There isn’t. It’s what they are planning to do.

I actually fully expect Bluepoint to blow Fromsoftware out of the water with a Demon Souls 2(Even though them remaking Bloodborne, and developing BB2 is the current rumor). Although I much rather them do a Infinity Blade x Shadow of the Colossus type of game. I fully expect FromSoftware fans to have a fit cause the game will be more accessible.

All I know that shit is going to look beautiful.

They can, but you don't do that by just handing them an IP and expecting them to make something in the same vein. You're giving them baggage, not support.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it's setting people up for easy failure if they don't have the vision people expect from the franchise.
I mean that is like saying giving Insomniac Spider-Man was baggage or giving Rocksteady Batman was baggage. It just doesn't make sense. Biggest games either studio has ever made by far. Rocksteady's only other game; Urban Chaos, a 73 and 72 on PS2 and Xbox respectively.

Was giving Crystal Dynamics Rise of the Tomb Raider baggage?

Retro Studios taking on Metroid?

There isn’t. It’s what they are planning to do.

I actually fully expect Bluepoint to blow Fromsoftware out of the water with a Demon Souls 2(Even though them remaking Bloodborne, and developing BB2 is the current rumor). Although I much rather them do a Infinity Blade x Shadow of the Colossus type of game. I fully expect FromSoftware fans to have a fit cause the game will be more accessible.

All I know that shit is going to look beautiful.
The problem with giving them the budget to make their own From clones is that they honestly aren't the best sellers on just one system.

Demon's Souls really didn't do well on PS5 compared to say Miles Morales and probably compared to Rift Apart. Maybe even Returnal and Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut. It did 1.4 million copies as of September. Maybe it will have legs with more PS5 sales though, so who knows.

Bloodborne sold 2 million copies at least up to the end of 2015 (maybe it had some legs beyond that, but I doubt it was serious legs).

Dark Souls 3 did 10 million units across platforms and the entire series is beyond 27 million.

Dark Souls 1+2+remaster = 17 million across 3 systems.

You're really only looking at on average 3 million units per system per game.

Can Bluepoint replicate 2-3 million copies with their own versions of bloodborne with higher budgets than From puts in their games? Maybe, but will it be worth it for games that aren't multiplatform? Well, I also think Demon's Souls will be ported to PC, so that 1.4 million at the end of the day will probably end up being 3 million with discounted PS5 sales and a PC version. Maybe upwards of 4 million. Still not sure that is even in Bluepoint's best interests, but we'll see.

tommib

wait till you find out that From Software made 5 Xbox exclusive games back in the day, and 3 Xbox 360 exclusives lol

the answer is simple... publisher deals :)

also freindly reminder that Otogi 1 and 2 are backwards compatible now!
GET THEM OR THE DEMONS WILL GET YOU!

R.f7395901d76c5213d816c4b9038b607c
2005171955_1.jpg

I am still sad that Tenchu Z is not backwards compatible... loved that game, it was very low budget but really fun and is stuck on Xbox 360 top this day :(
certainly one of the FromSoftware games I would have wanted on Series X, but alas it was not in that final wave :(

wTkbVtD.jpg

same with Ninja Blade... a rough diamond imo
102122_980.jpg

but that later came to PC as well, not sure how that port is tho
Ninja Blade was awesome. Keep forgetting about that game. Shame it never came to PlayStation.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I think From is too big to make Sony exclusives at this point, buy I hope otherwise as Bloodborne is their best work.

It's just that the DS games are selling over 10 million. Elden Ring probably 15 million.

BB did a few million I believe. That's a lot of money on the table.

Juza

Sony hires them to develop some products with IPs that belong to Sony, this is not a secret. They are just in love.
Valentines Day Kiss GIF
Not anymore lol

Dark Souls is spiritual sequel to Demons Souls and the only reason it wasn’t called Demons Souls 2 because FROM wanted go multiplatform but DeS IP belonged to Sony.
Not quite, Sony considered Demons Souls as a failure, but Fromsoftware invested a lot in the game assets and then they decided to develop their own game "Dark Souls" using those assets, Fromsoftware wanted to prove that Sony was wrong.

from-software.png

Sony always had an amazing relationship with FromSoftware. They were basically a 1st part studio for the first 5 years. Sony still hires them to develop games. That's why Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are Sony IPs.
First party?

Fromsoftware at that time only had PlayStation devkit, and it was the only platform they could develop their games on! Also, look at that game list.. all owned by Fromsoftware.

Sony just setup a partnership with From’s parent last year, which is targeting games (among other things) so you can expect more exclusives on the way.

images
You guys are very optimistic, this has nothing to do with Fromsoftware whatsoever!

Do you even know why Fromsoftware was sold to Kadokawa?

I think From is too big to make Sony exclusives at this point, buy I hope otherwise as Bloodborne is their best work.

It's just that the DS games are selling over 10 million. Elden Ring probably 15 million.

BB did a few million I believe. That's a lot of money on the table.
I'm not quite sure I see it the same way, right?

It's not just the money on the table, first you have to realize that they have a publishing deal with the IP owner, which isn't them. Yes, it's multiplatform, but all the money isn't going to them just as it isn't all going to them with sony.

They probably take these projects with Sony because of diversification. They made Bloodborne AFTER Dark Souls 2. No guarantee that Dark Souls 4 does as well or that Elden Ring does as well. Elden Ring is going to be a huge experiment for a team like From Software. Always risky going open world and maintaining quality in an open world.

The problem with giving them the budget to make their own From clones is that they honestly aren't the best sellers on just one system.

Demon's Souls really didn't do well on PS5 compared to say Miles Morales and probably compared to Rift Apart. Maybe even Returnal and Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut. It did 1.4 million copies as of September. Maybe it will have legs with more PS5 sales though, so who knows.

Bloodborne sold 2 million copies at least up to the end of 2015 (maybe it had some legs beyond that, but I doubt it was serious legs).

Dark Souls 3 did 10 million units across platforms and the entire series is beyond 27 million.

Dark Souls 1+2+remaster = 17 million across 3 systems.

You're really only looking at on average 3 million units per system per game.

Can Bluepoint replicate 2-3 million copies with their own versions of bloodborne with higher budgets than From puts in their games? Maybe, but will it be worth it for games that aren't multiplatform? Well, I also think Demon's Souls will be ported to PC, so that 1.4 million at the end of the day will probably end up being 3 million with discounted PS5 sales and a PC version. Maybe upwards of 4 million. Still not sure that is even in Bluepoint's best interests, but we'll see.
Well the game would be more accessible. More mass friendly. Which FromSoftware fans would bitch about. And I fully expect it to fully deviate from the “Souls“ formula, besides having a hard difficulty as the default and an expansion of the lore.

As well as having the usual Playstation basic, a cinematic story. Which Fromsoftware fans will cry to no veil. Trying to clone the “souls” PS2 presentation wont click Playstation fans expecting AAA cinematic storytelling. But honesly we’ll see. And Bluepoint trying to be a clone of Fromsoftware isnt needed.

Well the game would be more accessible. More mass friendly. Which FromSoftware fans would bitch about. And I fully expect it to fully deviate from the “Souls“ formula, besides having a hard difficulty as the default and an expansion of the lore.

As well as having the usual Playstation basic, a cinematic story. Which Fromsoftware fans will cry to no veil. Trying to clone the “souls” PS2 presentation wont click Playstation fans expecting AAA cinematic storytelling. But honesly we’ll see. And Bluepoint trying to be a clone of Fromsoftware isnt needed.
I don't think they'll necessarily be a clone, but I do think they'll continue to expand their work on from titles, similar to how they worked a lot on Team Ico properties.

Bloodborne and Last Guardian haven't been patched.

I think we'll see something along these lines:

Bloodborne - PS5/PC
Last Guardian - PS5/PC
Demon's Souls - PC
Demon's Souls 2 - PS5
Bloodborne 2 - PS5

This allows the studio to maximize its margins and also lets them scale up and reuse assets.

You have 2 original games reusing assets from Demon's Souls and then you have 3 ports/remasters.

Bloodborne PS5 and Demon's Souls 2 basically test the waters for how much to continue this, but I do think that is their plan.

Recall that Bluepoint did ICO and Shadow of the Colossus remaster and then later on did Shadow of the Colossus remake. Any Sony remaster I think is extremely likely for remakes.

I've thought for a while that they'll come out with God of War remake using the God of War Ragnarok engine for the 2025 anniversary and I bet Bluepoint could be involved with that as well. I think they'll remake God of War 1-3 with the new engine.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
from-software.png

Sony always had an amazing relationship with FromSoftware. They were basically a 1st part studio for the first 5 years. Sony still hires them to develop games. That's why Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are Sony IPs.
Armored Core makes more sense now that I think of it in the context of King's field etc. Boosting in a circle and shooting is just like the dodging mechanic from Souls.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Is there any reason to believe that Sony and Bluepoint can't take over Demon's Souls and Bloodborne without From Software? They don't need to make a massive investment when they already have the IP.
I'd imagine bluepoint have already started work on bloodborne 2.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If it happens again, please just hand them a bag of money and publish it. Can't imagine what a collab between FROM and a bunch of blue haired san franciscans would turn out like. Everybody FROM worked with for Bloodborne and DS is long gone from Sony.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony used to partner up with these studios back in the day to make new IPs for them. The problem with demon souls was that shu hated the game so after they shipped it they decided to go third party and make dark souls. By the time shu realized how it’s became a cult classic it was too late.

But the man owned up to his fuck up and hired Myazaki to do bloodborne for ps4 after shipping dark souls. By the time bb came out, from was too big to do first party ips so shu then hired bluepoint to remake demon souls and attoned for all his sins.

Easily the best Sony exec of all time.

And then that's why they started off this gen with a Demons Souls remake?

IT IS KNOWN that Sony didn't appreciate Demon's Souls. They only published it in Japan. But Bamco recognised there's something special in Demon's Souls, then they picked up the license and published in the rest of the world....... Then they signed From Soft to make Dark Souls.....Sony obviously seen how popular Dark Souls is, now they gone back to remaking Demon's Souls.....probably hoping to make a franchise out of it without From Soft........but we all know that remake is not Demon's Souls.......only From Soft can make that type of game

Last edited:
Sony used to partner up with these studios back in the day to make new IPs for them. The problem with demon souls was that shu hated the game so after they shipped it they decided to go third party and make dark souls. By the time shu realized how it’s became a cult classic it was too late.

But the man owned up to his fuck up and hired Myazaki to do bloodborne for ps4 after shipping dark souls. By the time bb came out, from was too big to do first party ips so shu then hired bluepoint to remake demon souls and attoned for all his sins.

Easily the best Sony exec of all time.

Even with Bloodborne, Sony refuses to make the sequel. Even when asked about the sequel, Miyazaki said BB was his most satisfying, his proudest accomplishment, but From Soft doesn't own the IP. That question had to be directed to Sony.......obviously Sony never green light BB sequel for whatever reason

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Even with Bloodborne, Sony refuses to make the sequel. Even when asked about the sequel, Miyazaki said BB was his most satisfying, his proudest accomplishment, but From Soft doesn't own the IP. That question had to be directed to Sony.......obviously Sony never green light BB sequel for whatever reason
I dont think Sony or Shu would make a sequel without Myazaki, and he made BB then DS3 then Sekiro and Elder Scrolls back to back to back. He's basically made three new IPs in a span of 7 years since 2015. The man is unstoppable.

I think Bluepoint should be given reigns to the Demon souls IP but they should not make BB2 without From Software let alone Myazaki.

the question is if Bluepoint is actually able to make and design a good game. so far almost 100% of thier library is ports and remasters
in that case the gamedesign is already layed out and all they have to do on their end is to polish what's already there

the only game they ever released that was made by them and not a port/remaseter is this here

R.125efd86511040f8529d67d98e2ba243

that is the only game they ever made

so it is save to say that these are untested waters for that studio. a sequel would be a relatively save first game to try it, but we will see
Are you on drugs or are you stupid on purpose, I don't know where you work but I guess when you started your job the cleaning lady was better than you... You learned and improved, you do things differently than when you started and certainly better than then. I am certain of that 100% BUT this developers are unskilled, untalented and stupid monkeys who just make copy paste of other people work. They made once not so much interested or exciting game so it means they can never be good....is this what you say? What untested water you speak of. They made this remake of the games you praise and it looks 10x times better than the original even though cultists morons who can't accept that from software is not the only studio that can make a good game, thinking that a game from last decade with some fucked up filter is better. Sorry but everyone improves in their work when they are passionate about it and this Studio has done so, it's time to try make a game and who knows maybe they can create something beautiful and fun.

DarthPutin

I really want the kind of game you're describing, but I'm not sure why call it anything "Souls" at this point. Make beautiful medivalesque game with good combat, easier mode option, clearer story (but still a lot of enviromental storytelling)... hire some good fantasy writers for lore (cheap good writers are plenty, you can probably get even some award-winning ones on the cheap).... call it something else and go nuts, make your own world without being tied to other people's vision. No need to recreate From's amazing monster design, which is their specific forte.

I feel Hollow Knight captured that same sense of magic as a souls game.

decided to pick up DS3 a few days ago to familiarize myself with Elden Ring's combat system and I'm totally hooked. did not expect to love the game nearly as much as I do.

made me do some more research on Souls games and I saw that both Bloodborne and Demon's Souls remake are PS exclusives

Elden Ring isn't tho and I plan on picking it up on my XSX

I have a feeling DS3 is going to send me down some rabbit hole where I want to play all the titles

it looks like, at the very least, BB and Demon's Souls are going to remain exclusives

I guess my question is whether there is any rhyme or reason behind which games are exclusives and which aren't, and whether they will remain exclusives. it looks like Sony had a hand in the making of BB, so that makes sense.

I really haven't had a reason to pick up a PS5 until now, seriously considering grabbing one down the road if I'm left wanting more after beating Elden Ring and DS 1-3 on my XSX.
Lol so this is your first experience with a souls game?

You ain't going down a rabbit hole your burrowing to the earth's core!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There's no 3 game deal. From Software released almost 40 PlayStation exclusive games.

Well, most of them were simply because PlayStation was the place to be (especially for Japanese developers). DeS and BB were specifically made for Sony on contract.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Lmao Bluepoint have never ‘made’ a game, only remakes. If writers like Miyazaki are a dime a dozen why are From games amongst the highest regarded in the entire industry?
Certainly not for the writing.

Kokoloko85

Play Dark Souls 1 before you play 3 so you get all the feels and awesomeness.
Dont bother with Dark Souls 2
Yes buy a PS5 for Demons soul and Bloodborne. Bloodborne alone is worth it

Banjo64

cumsessed
Certainly not for the writing.
The lore, characters and story telling in Lodran, Boletaria and Yharnham is more profound than anything modern day Sony can put out.

Sony’s best examples of story telling are games like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and their only recent example of good story telling was The Last of Us back in 2013. God of War was serviceable.

I see you collect VHS tapes. Are you also new to gaming? Get a ps5, it will make you happy.
Lolol... 🤣 Not for $1000 💵 it won't. Good luck actually buying one at msrp, especially if you are an adult with responsibilities and don't spend every waking hour gaming.

The fact is even if you find one at a store(by extreme luck you will still have to pay up over cost. This Gen is the worst Gen for gaming om unless you are a recluse with tons of time and spending money and know how to create a shopping bot army. For people with wives/gfs/kids, little free time, and budgets, it straight up sucks!

As for demons souls it's my favorite game of all time, but not paying scalper prices for it. I'll go replay my collectors edition box on my aging ps3.

rofif

Banned
I don't think they'll necessarily be a clone, but I do think they'll continue to expand their work on from titles, similar to how they worked a lot on Team Ico properties.

Bloodborne and Last Guardian haven't been patched.

I think we'll see something along these lines:

Bloodborne - PS5/PC
Last Guardian - PS5/PC
Demon's Souls - PC
Demon's Souls 2 - PS5
Bloodborne 2 - PS5

This allows the studio to maximize its margins and also lets them scale up and reuse assets.

You have 2 original games reusing assets from Demon's Souls and then you have 3 ports/remasters.
I would love so but I don't think Sony will ever touch last guardian. Not even make simple .ini change to unlock the fps.
Bloodborne is getting a rerelease for sure. Maybe even on pc.

from-software.png

You forgot to mention Sony loves them so much they forbid them to release Demon's Souls in the US with a Sony logo on it because they thought it was a terrible game.

Shubh_C63

That's like saying God of War can't exist without David Jaffe and then Cory Barlog creates the most successful God of War. This idea that only "x person" can do the job is laughable.
but listen to his point, even after having the template none of the souls clone has managed to be as fun as From Souls game.
Its not laughable when we are all living its real life example.

Sekiro actually cemented this Miyazaki's FROM (atleast for me) as a true master of his craft. Came out of left field and yet just as strong.

tommib

but listen to his point, even after having the template none of the souls clone has managed to be as fun as From Souls game.
Its not laughable when we are all living its real life example.

Sekiro actually cemented this Miyazaki's FROM (atleast for me) as a true master of his craft. Came out of left field and yet just as strong.
Sekiro is a masterpiece. Some days of the month I think it’s Miyazaki’s best work.

Top Bottom