• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with FromSoftware and Sony?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The lore, characters and story telling in Lodran, Boletaria and Yharnham is more profound than anything modern day Sony can put out.

Sony’s best examples of story telling are games like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and their only recent example of good story telling was The Last of Us back in 2013. God of War was serviceable.
Fantastic world design. Story and lore is all nonsensical.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony don’t appreciate From Soft games. They are not cinematic enough for them.

Two times Sony had a chance to make From Soft franchise, Demons Souls and Bloodborne, and both times they blew it
Yet... they remade DeS as a launch pillar title.

Some of the troll takes are out there. Just wait.

Last edited:

Fbh

Big publishers and console makers, like Sony, sometimes contract studios to make games for them.
It's like Insomniac before they were acquired by Sony. They made the Ratchet and Resistance games for Sony, but they also made Sunset Overdrive for Xbox and Fuse for EA (multiplarform).

Don't forget that Sony didn't initially believe in Demon Souls, they didn't even want to publish it in the west and Atlus stepped in to bring the game over here. It's understandable that FROM then went on to make the sequel as a mulltiplatform release.

As for Bloodborne who knows. Maybe FROM just didn't want to make a sequel, maybe Activision/Bandai made them a better offer than Sony, maybe they have some sort of royalty agreement and their increasing popularity means they benefit more from multiplatform sales than releasing on a single console.

Lognor

Banned
Don’t be surprised if Armored Core 6 is exclusive

Sony and Kadokawa already have one game coming out, I’m sure they plan on releasing a lot more
A niche title like that which will do most of its business in Japan? Yeah, why would it be on Xbox? It could very well be on Switch too since they are crushing PS in Japan.

But all major From games going forward, don't expect any exclusivity. They've outgrown it. Bloodborne and Demons Souls were done when they were relatively unknown by the mass audience. After Dark Souls 3 came out that changed everything.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What? I've played over 10 hours of the closed network test, and I was critical of the performance on the PS5.

I was suprised that the XSX version ran ever worse, as you can see EVERYWHERE on the internet.

If you can't handle the facts, GTFO.
Have you tried it on a decent pc to see if it's a good version or not?
Or do you simply not recognise pc as a platform?
I had to actually double check to see if it came to pc, as I was sure before you turned fanboy hostile, but I was correct, the game will come to PC.

Try to chill a bit unless you want to be on people's block list.

Pedro Motta

I had to actually double check to see if it came to pc, as I was sure before you turned fanboy hostile, but I was correct, the game will come to PC.

LOL, dude I'm sure PC will be the superior platform, as always. Once again, I'm talking about console versions. What's so dificult to understand?

CamHostage

First party?

Fromsoftware at that time only had PlayStation devkit, and it was the only platform they could develop their games on! Also, look at that game list.. all owned by Fromsoftware.

He's not saying FromSoft back in the PS1 days was actually a first-party; it was still an independent company, but the software studio's close ties with Sony (and the fact that, as you point out, they could only make games for PlayStation in its early days) made it feel the same as a PlayStation publisher. For a while, Armored Core was as core to many Sony gamers' understanding of the PlayStation ecosystem as Wipeout and Coolboarders.

(Actually, I believe the first Armored Core was even distributed by Sony, as Sony released some Japanese software on its own imprint in the US and/or Europe back in those days.)

You forgot to mention Sony loves them so much they forbid them to release Demon's Souls in the US with a Sony logo on it because they thought it was a terrible game.

??
"Forbid" is kind of an extreme definition of what happened. They chose not to publish it internationally, and put the product up for other companies to acquire publishing rights. That's their choice, and it's something Sony has done with other titles which were not expected to be core internal brands for its worldwide releases (they don't do that too often anymore, but they're also not doing the volume of titles that they did back in the PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP eras; lots of other PS games never got that chance to be published worldwide because there were no takers.) It didn't really even delay the game much internationally; the Japanese version came out in February, the localized US version came out in October and the PAL version hit a few months later. Not atypical for the time.

Demon's Souls on PS3 had a legendarily troubled development story (and it also had a then-obscure online system which would have needed support and explanation.) You can read more about it from an interview with Shuhei Yoshida in Game Informer where he describes what led to passing on it and how the final product eventually shined through. Demon's Souls had started to finally take shape and gain interest in the very final days, and by the time it released in Japan, it became clear (in part because of critics driving interest in the game) that it really was something to get excited for.

Last edited:
Don't forget that Sony didn't initially believe in Demon Souls, they didn't even want to publish it in the west and Atlus stepped in to bring the game over here. It's understandable that FROM then went on to make the sequel as a mulltiplatform release.
100%

Shu even commented/said that passing up publishing the original DeS in the west was a mistake:

Shu on DeS

I'm glad Bloodborne got made for PS!

ethomaz

Banned
You forgot to mention Sony loves them so much they forbid them to release Demon's Souls in the US with a Sony logo on it because they thought it was a terrible game.
What are you even talking.

Demon’s Souls was a IP Sony asked From to developer… Sony can sell it where they wanted… they choose to publish the game in Japan and give it to other publisher in west.

Atlas made a contract with Sony… From was not even involved because it is a Sony game.

Pedro Motta

What are you even talking.

Demon’s Souls was a IP Sony asked From to developer… Sony can sell it where they wanted… they choose to publish the game in Japan and give it to other publisher in west.

Atlas made a contract with Sony… From was not even involved because it is a Sony game.
This is not true. Sony hated the game and Miyazaki did what he wanted in the backstage because Sony didn't care about it. Wrongfully so on Sony's side. It's well documented.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Reyziak

You aren't paying attention dude; the Network Test was console only, so the only experience people that have had with the game were console players, there was no PC network test. Yes, the game is coming to PC, however the Network Test was only for consoles.

Console players got a Network Test, and apparently the best performing version was the PS5 version.

Last edited:

tommib

This is not true. Sony hated the game and Miyazaki did what he wanted in the backstage because Sony didn't care about it. Wrongfully so on Sony's side. It's well documented.
Yeap, Sony wanted to distance itself from the game as much as possible. Just like in the art world, things that are too revolutionary or disruptive are misunderstood and ignored.

Gamers were the ones realising that a masterpiece had been created.

ethomaz

Banned

EDIT:

But it is a Sony game lol
They can love or hate or sell where they want.
That has nothing to do with From.

Atlus talked with Sony to get the rights to publish it on US... not From.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Fantastic world design. Story and lore is all nonsensical.
The lore is fantastic… it was one of the best parts of my play time with it.
It character has it own backstory and reasons… and all of them are part of the overall story.

I still believes the lore and story are better than Bloodborne that is exceptional in these two points.

Last edited:
but listen to his point, even after having the template none of the souls clone has managed to be as fun as From Souls game.
Its not laughable when we are all living its real life example.

Sekiro actually cemented this Miyazaki's FROM (atleast for me) as a true master of his craft. Came out of left field and yet just as strong.

Again, have you examined those games and how they were developed? What their budgets were? What their constraints were? I'm confident that you haven't.

There is a reason why Sony Santa Monica was able to make a better 3D Castlevania than Konami.

Find me a situation where you had a high quality studio, with a big budget, developing for one console, and failed to make a clone as good as From's Souls games. Yeah, that's right, those criteria haven't existed before.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
they fuckin'

sexy make love GIF

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You aren't paying attention dude; the Network Test was console only, so the only experience people that have had with the game were console players, there was no PC network test. Yes, the game is coming to PC, however the Network Test was only for consoles.

Console players got a Network Test, and apparently the best performing version was the PS5 version.

Yeah I missed some information clearly, and I apologise for that.

Still no need to be rude though :)

Top Bottom