• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's with the Uninsightful Threads? The "Ya Don't Say" Awards.

IgJLJ8h.gif

Fahdis

Yeah its been annoying, but it saves time in your life when you can instantly close a bunch of threads without reading them.

I have vaccination fever right now and I can't even think straight so my bullshit tolerance is even lower than usual, I've saved so much time today, just look at these savings:

Pay Day Money GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

This isnt you, you larping f*ck!!!!

Banned
2. Switch OLED is a worse upgrade than PS4 Pro. Aka the Strawman Olympics - Facepalm Edition.

I don't think you know what a strawman is...
comparing 2 systems and how they fair in terms of time of release and price is a legitimate form criticism.

but the Pro was the wrong system to use as a comparison as it released 1 year earlier into the system family's lifetime compared to the Switch OLED. the better comparison would be the One X, which makes the OLED Switch look even worse.

Xbox One X VS OLED Switch
released ~4 years after original system VS released ~4 years after original system
launched at the same price VS launches at a $50 higher price point
has 4.6x more GPU power as the original VS same GPU power as the original
has 31.43% faster CPU VS same CPU speed
has 1.5x more RAM + way faster/higher bandwidth VS same RAM amount + same speed/bandwidth
smaller and more compact VS slightly larger
missing Kinect bundled in VS same stuff bundled in
improved HDMI chip and new TV out options VS improved screen and same TV out options

it is a legit concern that Nintendo launches a more expensive system with almost no bonus features, and the only improvement being a new screen that is slightly bigger and now OLED. when Sony and Microsoft released full on upgrades with massive performance gains at about the same time in the system's life

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
I don't think you know what a strawman is...
comparing 2 systems and how they fair in terms of time of release and price is a legitimate form criticism.

but the Pro was the wrong system to use as a comparison as it released 1 year earlier into the system family's lifetime compared to the Switch OLED. the better comparison would be the One X, which makes the OLED Switch look even worse.

Xbox One X VS OLED Switch
released ~4 years after original system VS released ~4 years after original system
launched at the same price VS launches at a $50 higher price point
has 4.6x more GPU power as the original VS same GPU power as the original
has 31.43% faster CPU VS same CPU speed
has 1.5x more RAM + way faster/higher bandwidth VS same RAM amount + same speed/bandwidth
smaller and more compact VS slightly larger
missing Kinect bundled in VS same stuff bundled in
improved HDMI chip and new TV out options VS improved screen and same TV out options

it is a legit concern that Nintendo launches a more expensive system with almost no bonus features, and the only improvement being a new screen that is slightly bigger and now OLED. when Sony and Microsoft released full on upgrades with massive performance gains at about the same time in the system's life

You're making my point for me. How on earth is a screen upgrade comparable to a SoC upgrade? Especially when one of the two machines you're comparing doesn't even have a screen.

It's like comparing a new porsche model with an upgraded engine, fuel injection system and more responsive steering with a new volvo model with a sleeker new body and better looking hubcaps. 🤣

Isn't it self evident that improved innards is a better upgrade than a better screen? A Strawman in business is an example created specifically to be torn down to generate better ideas - in this case an improved screen being the absolute minimum for improving a console's performance and output.
The thread could have been a list of the numerous ways that the Pro and XSX were bigger upgrades than OLED and then comparing price, sales, profit or signalling strategies from the different upgrades. That would have been a far more interesting discussion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom