• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your current genre mix?

BossLackey

Gold Member
I think too hard about incredibly inconsequential shit. One of these things is my current "mix" of games. Not necessarily the titles themselves, but the types of games and the roles those genres serve in my life.

For instance, my current mix has been doing quite well for me:

RPGs (often ARPG or JRPG) - Long form chill time with a sense of accomplishment when I finish one. Plus that narrative.

Shmups - Quick bursts of intense gameplay that I can slot into more places where other games wouldn't fit (fun to collect too. Shoutout to the recently release Gunvein). The antithesis to RPGs in a lot of ways. They balance each other quite nicely.

Fighting Games - Scratches my competitive multiplayer git gudness itch. Plus the added novelty of fight sticks, fight pads, and hitboxes makes them even more fun IMO.

Co-op Shooters - Popping heads with friends is always fun. Darktide is my shit right now. Gives me a good excuse to talk to friends.

These 4 genres have really filled my "needs" when it comes to gaming the last few months. This will change. I gotta play roguelikes and 2D/3D platformers and Metroidvanias and whatnot, but for now, I'm actually kind of content.

So I ask you, GAF. What's your mix?

Last edited:

Banned
LnBuZw

Gamerguy84

3rd person adventure for when I have time on my hands which is almost never, racing for a quick fix and VR for awesome new experiences and whole new level of immersion.

Getting ready to go buy discovering space 2 on quest right now.

the games i have currently installed on my switch/pc are

ffvii, mario 3d world, rocket league, fifa, overwatch, fortnite, switch sports, genshin, flight sim, ready or not, diablo 2 and witcher 3.

so i guess a mix of RPG, fps, esports/f2p, sim and platformer.

Alpha Male

I'm always playing a variety of games but my "CORE" game genre rotation never really changes:

Mutiplayer FPS - Battlefield, Halo, Modern Warfare

Racing/Flying/Open World - Flight Sim, Gran Turismo, Forza Horizon/Motorsport, Riders Republic, Steep, The Crew

Single Player Action/Adventure/RPG (usually open world) - Red Dead, Far Cry, Horizon ZD/FW, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Breath of the Wild, Mass Effect, Tomb Raider, Cyberpunk, Skyrim, Witcher, Grand Theft Auto, Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor, Borderlands, Darksiders, Ghost Recon, Fallout, Ghost of Tshushima, Spiderman, Death Stranding, etc...

Strategy Campaign - XCOM , Planetfall, Stellaris, Halo Wars, Endwar, C&C, Midnight Suns, Mario + Rabbids, etc...

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't mix. I like playing one game at a time, which helps me in keeping focus and not losing interest.

Good games, no JRPGs allowed.
No JRPGs means that at least you can play one JRPG at a time, right? :^)

I guess my threads suck lol
Anytime anyone makes a thread, page 1 is basically just everyone's best attempt to smear shit everywhere and make fun of the OP. Just check back around page 2.

As for my answer, I think I play virtually all genres now except RTS games, MOBAs, and survival games. Never been a broader mix for me.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've dropped pretty much everything in favor of finishing Elden Ring. I want to get back into sim racing so I will probably transition to that once ER is over. Usually I try have a little bit of everything so I can choose based on my mood.

I might wind up finally playing Dark Souls 3 after ER, though.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
I've dropped pretty much everything in favor of finishing Elden Ring. I want to get back into sim racing so I will probably transition to that once ER is over. Usually I try have a little bit of everything so I can choose based on my mood.

I might wind up finally playing Dark Souls 3 after ER, though.
What's your setup?

I only have a Logitech G29, but for now it works. I just...really need a cockpit, even a shitty one. At the moment I'm relegated to my office chair and PC desk. Not ideal.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
What's your setup?

I only have a Logitech G29, but for now it works. I just...really need a cockpit, even a shitty one. At the moment I'm relegated to my office chair and PC desk. Not ideal.
G920 same but the pc/Xbox version. I bought the Playseat Challenge and it does the job well enough. I want a good shifter because that Logitech one is worthless.

Mr Hyde

Right now it's platformers (Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart) Jrpg (Shin Megami Tensei 5) Action adventure (Batman Arkham Origins) and FPS (Doom 3).

BossLackey

Gold Member
G920 same but the pc/Xbox version. I bought the Playseat Challenge and it does the job well enough. I want a good shifter because that Logitech one is worthless.
Yeah I have the Logitech shifter and...it's not great. Though I can put larger rubberbands on either side that kicks the shifter back to neutral so it can be used for a sequential/slap shifter in rally games which is nice.

Arsic

Gold Member
I’m really just working on my back log. Slowly working through Ghost of Tsushima which is shaping up to be my favorite open world game ever. Then I’ll work on Kingdom Hearts 3 most likely.

I’m back on League of Legends grinding.

I spend a fair amount of time on Gran Turismo 7 and WRC Generations for my driving sims. Got the wheel pedals shifter etc and if this didn’t make any noise I’d play only GT7 but it’s too noisy at night when I can play the most.

I’m slightly dipping my toes into Smash Melee with Slippi. I need to find tutorials to learn movement before moving onto basic combos. I have played online in unranked having fun .

Lastly, I’ve been playing a variety of games with my son. He’s 5. So Minecraft , SpongeBob , hello neighbor 2, sonic games, teenage mutant ninja turtles , fall guys , and more.

Oh and thanks OP. Got gunvein. Shmups are cocaine.

Top Bottom