• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite Sony game of the ps4 generation

What's the best sony PS4 game

• Bloodborne

• Uncharted 4

• Horizon zero dawn

• Gran turismo sport

• God of war

• Spiderman

• Days gone

• Death stranding

• The last of us part 2

• Ghost of tsushima

• The last guardian

• Dreams

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Topher

Gold Member
I enjoyed pretty much everything Naughty Dog did immensely. God of War, Spider-man and Horizon Zero Dawn were all also great.

TLOU 2 was best game of the generation, bar none, for me.

Topher

Gold Member
No. Insomniac made that game when they were an independent studio. I’m sorry but it’s as false as Xbox stans trying to claim that Pyschonauts 2 and Deathloop are Xbox developed games.

Not true, bro. Sony was approached by Marvel to make a game. Sony then went to Insomniac who jumped at the chance. If Insomniac didn't make the game then some other studio would have done it for Sony, but it was Sony's game to make from get-go.

Deathloop and Psychonauts 2 would have been made regardless of Microsoft buying those studios. Not the case for Spider-man at all.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not true, bro. Sony was approached by Marvel to make a game. Sony then went to Insomniac who jumped at the chance. If Insomniac didn't make the game then some other studio would have done it for Sony, but it was Sony's game to make from get-go.
It is true - Rare made games exclusively for the Nintendo 64 just like Insomniac made Ratchet and Clank and Spider-Man exclusively for Sony. Rare’s N64 games weren’t Nintendo games though.

I’m not doubting that Sony were in charge of a Spider-Man game and that they could choose the studio but the studio they chose to make it were at the time fully independent.

Banned
Bloodborne, followed by The Last Guardian, and by such a large margin that the others wouldn't even show up on the diagram

Last edited:

scydrex

Played them all except dreams. All of them are good games and liked them. Still have to go with Bloodborne. If only Sony release a 60fps update at least... maybe a PS6 remake from Bluepoint?

Topher

Gold Member
It is true - Rare made games exclusively for the Nintendo 64 just like Insomniac made Ratchet and Clank and Spider-Man exclusively for Sony. Rare’s N64 games weren’t Nintendo games though.

I’m not doubting that Sony were in charge of a Spider-Man game and that they could choose the studio but the studio they chose to make it were at the time fully independent.

Is Flight Simulator not a Microsoft game then? Trying to figure out your logic here.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Is Flight Simulator not a Microsoft game then? Trying to figure out your logic here.
Absolutely not - Asobo made that game, Moon made Ori - not an Xbox first party game either.

Funding a third party dev to make an exclusive game for you is exactly that.

Banned
Absolutely not - Asobo made that game, Moon made Ori - not an Xbox first party game either.

Funding a third party dev to make an exclusive game for you is exactly that.

so are you arguing that a third of the games in the poll should be disqualified something?
if so, then all the ones I find to be good games would be gone from the list 😭

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So many amazing games.
For me it's uc4 or Death Stranding but I am voting for uc4 since I replay it close to once a year

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Sony games are just not for me. I didn't love them like most other people, but I did love Horizon Zero Dawn. I really like the story and the way it was told with a lot of it coming from Holograms and data pads. I know a lot of people like to hate Aloy but I found her quite likeable. Of course, there was also Lance Reddick, how can you not love a game that has Lance Reddick.

How can you all like bloodborne? It is 30 fps therefore unplayable.

On a serious Note: Seems there are a lot of people here who are also not a big fan of Sony games like me. I just don't care for the cinematic movie experience some games trying to go for. Sorry, if I want to watch a movie I will watch a movie.

Last edited:
yeah well, Bloodborne is not a shooter, so no hypocrisy there.
You are right, its a souls game that requires exact precision to dodge bosses and strike when they are most venerable. Which requires more FPS to do successfully. BTW bloodborne and Nioh are probably Sony's best PS4 games because they try to be games and not scripted movies that you press X to win.

Last edited:

Banned
You are right, its a souls game that requires exact precision to dodge bosses and strike when they are most venerable. Which requires more FPS. BTW bloodborne and Nioh are probably Sony's best PS4 games because they try to be games and not scripted movies that you press X to win.

well, the game was designed with the 30 fps in mind, so all the reaction time you need is taken into consideration.
in a shooter the mere act of moving the camera, which is what you do 99% of the time, feels ass at 30fps

but at least I agree with your second point

well, the game was designed with the 30 fps in mind, so all the reaction time you need is taken into consideration.
in a shooter the mere act of moving the camera, which is what you do 99% of the time, feels ass at 30fps

but at least I agree with your second point
Not really, 30 fps on a souls type game is a lot more annoying. One miss frame and you are a goner where as most FPS games are a lot generous.

It is a lot easier to turn the camera on a first person shooter than a third person game when the game is running 30fps imo. Then again it is a lot easier to turn the camera on a FPS than a third person game in general.

Last edited:

Banned
Not really, 30 fps on a souls type game is a lot more annoying. One miss frame and you are a goner where as most FPS games are a lot generous.

It is a lot easier to turn the camera on a first person shooter than a third person game when the game is running 30fps imo. Then again it is a lot easier to turn the camera on a FPS than a third person game in general.

there is no genre where framerate is more important than in a shooter.

Apex Legends literally has higher aim assist values on console because on last gen the game barely was 60fps, while on PC it's of course up to 120fps+
so in order to make the game feel better they made the aim assist on console twice as strong as on PC when playing on controller. simply because your precision in a shooter goes down significantly at a lower framerate. that is especially true at a 30fps vsync lock, but also at 60fps vsync vs unlocked 60fps+ or even 120fps+

lower framerate = higher latency + lower visual clarity
add vsync based framerate lock and the latancy goes up even further

both clarity and latency are very important in a game where you are constantly moving the camera at rapid speeds to track enemies and to parse your environment.

Last edited:
there is no genre where framerate is more important than in a shooter.

Apex Legends literally has higher aim assist values on console because on last gen the game barely was 60fps, while on PC it's of course up to 120fps+
so in order to make the game feel better they made the aim assist on console twice as strong as on PC when playing on controller. simply because your precision in a shooter goes down significantly at a lower framerate. that is especially true at a 30fps vsync lock, but also at 60fps vsync vs unlocked 60fps+ or even 120fps+

lower framerate = higher latency + lower visual clarity
add vsync based framerate lock and the latancy goes up even further

both clarity and latency are very important in a game where you are constantly moving the camera at rapid speeds to track enemies and to parse your environment.

Nope, I disagree. FPS is a lot more important in Fighters and souls like game. Halo 3 was 30 fps and it was one of the most played first person shooters.

Souls games and fighting games depend literally on frames as one misstep you will die. You have to counter your enemy and it is hard to do that if there is frame drops or frame skips.

With shooting games there is usually a lot more "second chances" and those games are more about your position on the map than reaction.

Also, frames per second matter a lot more in third person games because you have to position the camera to face the enemy as well as position your character. First person shooters you only have to worry about facing the enemy.

Last edited:
No Way Beer GIF by Busch
You're right.

Get rid of the "probably".

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
If you gauged top three based on amount of time spent in game, it would probably come down to like Final Fantasy VII: Remake, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and The Phantom Pain. Hundreds of hours spent in each.

I wouldn't say any of those choices accurately represent the best of the gen, though. Mainstream AAA gaming in the PS4 Era (and currently, to an extent) are all throwing such a wide net and hitting as many trends as possible, that, over a certain cost of production, most titles essentially LOSE their genre in favor of open world, loot focused, skill tree development based dialogue wheel games with simplistic gunplay or face button combat. It's a melting pot that's been simmering too long and it's a nondescript brown sludge now.

So I'm tempted to say something like Death Stranding, for having a bold, distinct vision and gameplay loop and the budget that is usually reserved for the least risky affair. But, then there's the minor issue of "I actually hated playing the game,"

So I'm kind of the mind of having favorite "moments," of the gen, specific sequences or portions of games, rather than games in their entirety.

Either Dreams or Astro Bot. (voted for Dreams as Astro isn't on the list).

Honourable mentions:
Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, God of War, TLOU2

Days Gone. Despite some downsides it had a good to great story at times, a beautiful world to enjoy exploring through, and a fantastic game loop of hunting hordes and doing some chill riding on the bike. GoT and Death Stranding also rank up there for memorable experiences.

EruditeHobo

TLOU2, without question.

GOW is a close 2nd though. And I assume if I played Bloodborne that too would be way up there, but I haven't gotten to it yet because I'm very, very late to the FROM worship.

bitbydeath

Days Gone

Game was amazing, zero understanding of the hate. One of the most impressive games of last-gen. It was the total package. Didn't feel like a prodding cinematic experience like many other Sony games. It had a decent story that was intriguing from the outset, amazing visuals, a satisfying gameplay loop, and most of all it felt like a video game!

Not something trying to be a movie. And of course critics disliked it and it didn't get the sales it deserved, so now we're stuck with no sequel. They harped on it for having some minor launch issues that didn't take long to get patched up. Bend even kept updating it to the point where I hear its one of the most impressive PS4 games that have a PS5 patch.

Typical.
A sequel will likely happen at some point, Sony green-lit a Days Gone movie just last year.

Top Bottom