• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Your Hype For Street Fighter 6?

How hyped are you for Street Fighter 6?

• Day 1 Purchase!

Votes: 102 38.3%
  • Will Depend on Reviews

Votes: 21 7.9%
  • I'll buy it at a Discount

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • What's Street Fighter 6 When You Have Tekken 8 ?

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • I am done with Street Fighter

Votes: 53 19.9%
  • Mortal Kombat 12 please...

Votes: 27 10.2%

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Was originally day 0 but then i played GG strive and that game is so phenomenal in gameplay that it's neutered my Street Fighter hype quite a bit. I still want to try it out for the world tour and new artstyle but i'm not as pumped as i used to be since GG strive has sort of filled the 2d fighter hole i once previously had... it feels like this perfect middle ground between batshit insane combo frenzy MVC/Skullgirls and slower paced strategic Street Fighter/Tekken, I'm loving it

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Discount. As with all fighting games.
Only problem with this is you join the community a year later (or whatever) and all of the day 1 casuals are gone, having been driven off by the hardcore players. Online is now only experts who kick your ass thoroughly because matchmaking either 1) sucks or 2) can't match you against anyone new because the new player pool is so small.

Of course, all of this only applies if you plan on playing online.

Pejo

Discount for now. The fundamentals look solid, but I dislike the new art style and I don't see a character or moveset that I enjoy yet. If the full single player experience sounds cool after it releases, it might be able to change my mind.

GBVS Rising being announced earlier stole most of my 2023 fighting game hype. I loved the first one, and hope that this iteration will retain more players with rollback and the improvements.

I'm that oddball who gets more excited about great campaign modes in fighting games than anything else.

Tobal series still remains at the top of the list, but I'm hoping for the best with what SF 6 is doing.

Hot5pur

My hype level is very high.
At first I wasn't on board with how the game looked and felt, but it grew on me and the hype levels went pretty high.
Also the roster if fantastic, so much was put into the little details and the characters.

Also look at this magnificence, how could you not be hyped:

Last edited:

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
First one I buy since 2. Not even joking. I buy one or two fighting games each generation, because it's fun to pull out for couch multiplayer. I don't put too much effort in the genre.

Catphish

Only problem with this is you join the community a year later (or whatever) and all of the day 1 casuals are gone, having been driven off by the hardcore players. Online is now only experts who kick your ass thoroughly because matchmaking either 1) sucks or 2) can't match you against anyone new because the new player pool is so small.

Of course, all of this only applies if you plan on playing online.
I don't find that to be true at all. I've only put about a dozen hours into SF5, and I had a fine time playing the other day for the first time in a couple of years. I still won about 2/3 of my matches.

Granted, I have years of experience with Ken, but I'm far from an expert. There were a few fellow Bronze-ranked players that handed me my hat, and none of them were repeat opponents.

[Sigma]

As hype as I can be. I haven't been this excited about a fighting game since ASW brought Guilty Gear back with Xrd. Not for direct comparison but for general excitment. We are getting a Street Fighter game jammed pack with content first time out. Most in the series in terms of first time out in a numbered release. The mechanics in the game really make the game shine. I never wanted to stop playing the beta lol. Spoiler Alert: No point in waiting on reviews because they're going to be glowing. I just know it based on what ive seen and played. Of course you're likely going to be hit with the classic day one servers going to hell that you get from fighting games so be prepared for that lol.

Hot5pur

Seems day 1 purchase is in the cards for most people.
Capgods doing something right.
I guess for me it's a day 1 purchase but will also buy it at a discount (on PC).

Going to be super rough with Diablo 4 coming out at around the same time.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Hype level at 3/10. I thought the player avatar system was really awkward in execution. All the particle effects are distracting. I also do not like the 3D character models for Street Fighter. Only time they looked decent was in Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Otherwise, Street Fighter lost a lot of the fidelity in the transition to 3D. Also, the stages in 3D Street Fighters are a real eyesore.

P.S. I know it will sell a lot based on name alone and even casual players are going nuts over the single player content. I also hope that it is everything the fans hope for. I will likely dip my toes when they have a free weekend in a year or two.

Last edited:

DrFigs

It just looks like more of sf5 which i really hated. everything seems sluggish. all these drive mechanics are kind of confusing me. there doesn't seem to be much in the way of juggle combos which i liked in third strike and 4. I'm probably not getting it.

Last edited:
I quit playing them when SFIV was released. Lost interest when Capcom started making the controls easier to use. I prefer Guilty Gear over any fighting game now.

Crayon

It's zero rn but the bug could hit me the second it's out and I would spend every waking hour on it for 3 months. Hard to tell.

Catphish

I'm really excited for the whole create-a-character thing. I'm hoping I can make my own dude with Ken's move list, and take it online.

I just hope that the people who will inevitably create a bunch of silly, nonsensical characters don't ruin the experience.

Crayon

Lol why is it 0 now?

Idk that's jsut how it is. I was paying no mind to tekken 7. The day it came out, I wandered into a round 1 and played it for the first time on a japanese cab, walked straight over to the gamestop and bought a copy, then got a taste of that sweet day one blood and I was obsessed.

Now that is kind of normal for fighting games. For me at least. I will move from game to game depending on where there is action and the state of the meta. A close friend of mine also doesn't give a shit about sf6 at this moment but if the hype is right and he gets the bug then he'll be back on the bullshit just like I would. Think of it as the brain saying "don't get sucked into another fg" for like a year and the heart saying "get in on this NOW" for 5 minutes and then boom there goes your life.

Idk that's jsut how it is. I was paying no mind to tekken 7. The day it came out, I wandered into a round 1 and played it for the first time on a japanese cab, walked straight over to the gamestop and bought a copy, then got a taste of that sweet day one blood and I was obsessed.

Now that is kind of normal for fighting games. For me at least. I will move from game to game depending on where there is action and the state of the meta. A close friend of mine also doesn't give a shit about sf6 at this moment but if the hype is right and he gets the bug then he'll be back on the bullshit just like I would. Think of it as the brain saying "don't get sucked into another fg" for like a year and the heart saying "get in on this NOW" for 5 minutes and then boom there goes your life.
So TLDR - I'll buy it day 1 cause I have a feeling it will be big hype at release.

I have the mega version pre-ordered. That said...

While I think the Drive system is great on it's own, I'm not sure I like it more than the V-System as a whole(though they have migrated some of the V-System into SF6 in different capacities). That said, it's not completely fair to judge it too harshly considering it's going to get a ton of balances, additions, etc. I also don't like how a lot of the hitboxes feel like they extend further than the move looks on screen. This works well with some heavy moves like shoulder or palm attacks and gives them extra heft, but it looks kinda sloppy on in other cases. That said, I'm sure this to will be adjusted repeatedly throughout the game's life cycle. Street Fighter V is such a polished and balanced game at this point aside from the stupidity of Luke, so I want to give SF6 some time in the oven to evolve and lots of hours as well.

I do think the trailers and handling of character introductions has been subpar in comparison to SFV and Tekken 8, though. If I wasn't already a huge fan of the series and had a great time with the beta, none of the official promotional footage and trailers would be doing anything at all as far as hype for me.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Never been into SF, more of a mortal kombat guy, but i'm not hardcore into fighting games. Might check it out (but not really)

Day 1 purchase for me.

Love SF and had great fun with the beta. Not in love with some of the newcomers and hard to say what how it will shape up in the long run but whatever.

Also after the tedium of SFV's long search and extra long match loading, I must stress how nice it was to be able to jump in and out of matches with no loading (Like the "good ol' days"). That promptness goes a long way for that arcade fighting game experience.

First one I buy since 2. Not even joking. I buy one or two fighting games each generation, because it's fun to pull out for couch multiplayer. I don't put too much effort in the genre.
Curious what you think about the simplified control mode in SF6. It seems well enough thought out for what it is, but I'm just not sure what casual players will think about it. It does help that it is the default setting, but do you see yourself using it with others?

Overall looks good to me but Luke and Jaime are so fucking ugly. I'm still mad about Abigail.
I loved Abigail 🥲
Marisa looks like another iteration of him. She's different of course, but huge frame, armor play, big damage, hair that's a play on something to do with a character trait(maple leaf/spartan helmet). Her moves are more refined versus Abigail looking like he is completely unrefined and relying on pure power alone(like an untrained street fighter). Kinda like the difference between the movements of G and Q.

Luke does look and act like shit in this game though. Not a single redeeming factor in comparison to his SFV variant. Even his forward throw look like shit and has zero impact now.

DavidGzz

I was the biggest SF2 fan. Every game since I haven't put anywhere near as many hours into. I loved playing the old games with friends, but now I'm old and don't hang out with anyone. Diablo 4 makes this one a wait and see. Probably in it's first sale.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Releasing at the wrong time for me with both FFXVI and Diablo 4 being priorities but it does look dope. Played the hell out of SF4, skipped 5 so I'm looking forward to eventually diving back into this world. As an OG fan of both SF and Tekken I have to say Tekken 8 is looking a bit more tasty though that's likely a Spring/Summer 2024 release.

Naked Lunch

New Street Fighters drop once every 8 years or so.
Their releases are some of the last true gaming events to look forward to.
Years and years of gameplay - really endless of hours of replay value.
Its community will be playing it decades from now. There are still diehards playing every core entry in the SF series. You cant say that about many other gaming franchises.

SF6 took me a day or 2 to get used to it in the beta - but I quickly learned of its greatness with some practice. Been fiending for it ever since. Its a modern classic.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Hype 0.

In the past we had games that appealed to both casual and non casual crowd, but now days you either go full casual + gimmick or fail miserably.

The game is not really beautiful but it's not bad the only thing that makes me want to puke is that trash easy parry system...

They are trying to hard to give caduals a chance to perform their own Evo moment 37, it's disgusting.

I really want a small indie company try to make an old school "Controll Space"(like ST but less unbalanced) based fighting game.

Errr. This is not at all the case. I guess you haven’t played the game yet?

Players that overuse a parry hold are going to be destroyed. The game is so much more interesting than trying to recreate moment 37.

Variahunter

I am a die hard fan of SF, and still play daily Z3 and 3.3.
But that one didn’t grab me. Feels like TikTok fighter and I can’t find any character interesting outside of Ryu and Gouki after DLCs. Which is annoying for me.

No Gen, Guy, Adon, Sagat, Vega, Ibuki, Makoto, Fei Long, Zeku…

It’s a shame :/

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont play Fighting games but I love watching them, so I'm kind of excited to see SF6 and Tekken 8 on EVO or other pro tournaments. Fighting games are the ONLY ones I love watching and only if pro players play it.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I'm skipping it. Don't like the art direction, character designs, new animations, there's too much hold over from SFV, and the new mechanics while certainly dynamic also seem to be leading to some brain dead footsies, as a VF fan I also find SF6's take on major/minor counters to be ass backward. The pandering to twitter doesn't help.

That said, I think it's absolutely the game they should be making after SFV and I expect it to be a major success. It just doesn't appeal to me personally.

Tekken 8 on the other hand is the most appealing Tekken has been to me since like Tekken 4.

I am a die hard fan of SF, and still play daily Z3 and 3.3.
But that one didn’t grab me. Feels like TikTok fighter and I can’t find any character interesting outside of Ryu and Gouki after DLCs. Which is annoying for me.

No Gen, Guy, Adon, Sagat, Vega, Ibuki, Makoto, Fei Long, Zeku…

It’s a shame :/
Zeku is much better than Kimberly as a Bushin character.

Nocturno999

Ban whoever answered MK 12 please.

Seriously, beta was very promising and it seems it will even have the best single player content in a Street Fighter game.

Errr. This is not at all the case. I guess you haven’t played the game yet?

Players that overuse a parry hold are going to be destroyed. The game is so much more interesting than trying to recreate moment 37.

I'm not saying that the game will be a "parry fiesta" I'm just saying that having a godlike mechanic like universal parry made into a low skill garbage defense option is very unappealing.

I'm not saying that the game will be a "parry fiesta" I'm just saying that having a godlike mechanic like universal parry made into a low skill garbage defense option is very unappealing.
Although it didn't really play out as such during actual matches in the beta for me, in theory I understand what you mean. Also, when you do the more difficult perfect parry, your following attack is massively scaled. I'm not sure I fully understand the thought process behind that. It's not like it reverts to the lower skill Drive parry if you miss.

Top Bottom